Herb Grinders

Cjisohsocool

Do you have to pre grind with the finishing grinder? I'm trying to decide between that and a s&b volcano grinder for a super fine grind

Cjisohsocool,
Reactions: Vapor_Eyes

abcd5432

I'm referring to the gap between the circumference of the lid and the piece below it. If you were to label the pieces of the grinder, with the bottom piece 1, and the top piece 4, it's how closely pieces 3 and 4 fit together.

There is a bigger gap between the two circles with the Space Case, if that makes sense. Sorry, I'm having a hard time describing it. What seems to clog up the SLX is small pieces of cannabis stuck in between those two circles.

I would judge the SLX when you're able to get the larger version. I really feel it is a far better product than the small one. You need the teeth.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
What locks my SLX 2.0 up, is the dark resin on the outter/inner sidewalls of parts 3 and 4.
It starts to get visible after just 2-3 days and might build up enough to make it work shitty or totally blocked in about a week, and then it has to be cleaned.
Respectively I switch it out to my second parts 3 and 4, that I got after claiming that fast build up, which I thought was triggered by some small striae.
Freshly cleaned the grind is awesome, and green really doesn't stick to it, but the dark matter is fucking it up
https://addpics.com/i/dat-2-1bfd.jpg
dat-2-1bfd.jpg
That's exactly what mine looks like. I thought it was small leaves of cannabis but it could just be resin.

Vapor_Eyes,

natural farmer

What locks my SLX 2.0 up, is the dark resin on the outter/inner sidewalls of parts 3 and 4.
It starts to get visible after just 2-3 days and might build up enough to make it work shitty or totally blocked in about a week, and then it has to be cleaned.
Respectively I switch it out to my second parts 3 and 4, that I got after claiming that fast build up, which I thought was triggered by some small striae.
Freshly cleaned the grind is awesome, and green really doesn't stick to it, but the dark matter is fucking it up
dat-2-1bfd.jpg

Have the same issue with my medium SCS. This build up on the outer ring also brought the upper and lower piece closer and the coating has rubbed off a lot. Does that black sticky thing need ISO to go or the non-stick coating makes it easier to remove? On the SCS it needs some good rubbing with an ISO q-tip...

That might not be an issue with Lift now... Lift people?

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Have the same issue with my medium SCS. This build up on the outer ring also brought the upper and lower piece closer and the coating has rubbed off a lot. Does that black sticky thing need ISO to go or the non-stick coating makes it easier to remove? On the SCS it needs some good rubbing with an ISO q-tip...

Maybe that's why the Space Case has extra clearance, to avoid that problem. I do have some of the same buildup there but it doesn't cause any problems at all, it just sits there while the grinder does its thing. It's starting to build up quite a bit in fact but the grinder tears through my buds in about a half a turn or so.

The SCS was the only other grinder I was possibly considering, but if it has this problem and causes the anodized coating to wear off it's definitely out of the running for me.

On my SLX you can get the gunk off with a q-tip soaked in warm water, but iso is quicker so I use that instead. For small amounts I sometimes use a bamboo skewer which works pretty well. You want to avoid anything metal as it could possibly scratch it.

Osn Dosn

It does need some ISO, I soak the whole thing for 5 minutes, then some rubbing with paper towels and q tips and a glimpse of vegetable oil. And this also resulted in some coating going off. The clogging not the cleaning.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
running properly cured herb through it cleans it pretty thoroughly, I've never had to use iso, but there would be some resin to collect I suppose.

Bingo. Herb under 62% should churn like butter in a SLX. The exception would be some of the super sticky strains but they gunk up most grinders.

The Grav Labs grinder I linked to earlier in the thread has an interesting tooth pattern, claims to have no blind spots in the grind chamber. It might produce a nice vapeable consistency.

If it had a non stick coating I would consider buying one. Then again my SLX is running just fine.

dat-2-1bfd.jpg

Leave it for a bit if you can. I found it initially a bit notchy when it gets like that but it soon gets butter smooth again.

Osn Dosn

Bingo. Herb under 62% should churn like butter in a SLX. The exception would be some of the super sticky strains but they gunk up most grinders.

If it had a non stick coating I would consider buying one. Then again my SLX is running just fine.

Leave it for a bit if you can. I found it initially a bit notchy when it gets like that but it soon gets butter smooth again.

Oh I leave it for as long as I can, believe me.. not keen on cleaning it at all, hence I spend almost 100 for a 'non sticky' herb mill in the first place. But leaving it for too long only risks a total blockage at the expense of losing some more coating.
And my herbs are always in the range of 55-60%, and exclusively of good quality of course, but that shouldn't be a disqualifier.

abcd5432

Man, I feel like the bud I get is so bad I can't even be helpful lol. I just don't have these issues at all with my SLX 2.0. I would just say that there is only ONE SLX 2.0. If you have the small version, it's like having a far worse grinder.

I'll be excited when @LaxyLAThe gets that lift innovations. God so many accessories to buy, but I'm so close to having almost everything I could have dreamed out of out this.

rodders83

Hmm the lift grinder does intrigue me but i need a lifetime grinder not a pretender. The thing i dislike is that nylon bit in the center what is the lifespan on this? Surely metal on nylon means nylon flakes? I saw them submerge it all in iso too oddly i am not 100% on nylon and what you can do but i dislike and it doesnt look super fine grind to me either.

I have two of the biggest Space Case grinders to be fair, A 4pc + 2pc and i have yet to clean the 4pc after a year of use. It literally goes HAH herbs watch me go bro brrrrrrrrrrrrm done in one turn. The grind though is chunky for vaping. I do not know maybe if they had a finer plate still i might go for one but it would mean selling both my SC.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I have to recall some of my praise for the Gr8tr vape model. Some material goes through with no issue. Some, not so much. I just got some new stuff that jams the holes up on 1/2 g or less! Others have been hit and miss. Odd thing is, quality and stickiness don't seem to be the issue. Some just goes through better than others. FWIW, this new stuff is pretty well dried/cured sticky if that makes sense. It doesn't look particularly sticky, and only sticks to fingers a slight bit with when pulled from below the surface. But, it is polluted with resin heads and hits like a super gooey. It came a little drier than it would be from a sealed container with 62% Boveda pack, and dries easily in open air.

I also had some sub-par stuff a friend tried to grow. It's nothing special, but works OK. Harvested too early, so not real sticky at all. It jams the Gr8tr small plate up, too. Super sticky dried to my normal liking is usually no problem.

Poking half the holes after a few g's through after multiple grinds (2 weeks or so) isn't bad for the grind it gives if you've got a good buzz on. But, having to poke everything with a toothpick to clear it enough to grind the second 1/4 g of 1/2 g thrown in chamber is bullshit! I scraped it out (pain in the ass!) and threw it in my SC 2 piece. Looks like SC is back at the top of the heap for the most part. It shredded it up easily. I'll probably try a little of anything new in the Gr8tr (.1 - .2 g), and if it works I'll go with it. If not, it will go in the SC.

Am still planning to get the larger holed grinding plate. I think I read somewhere a few pages back that someone said Kannistor was finally planning to sell it separately, so hopefully won't have to beg and plead! But, the lift is sounding better all the time.

almost there

can someone who owns a space case grinder let me know if this looks authentic. It's listed much cheaper than retail price elsewhere but new vape is reputable as far as I know. I want to get this ASAP but that description statement "please assume import" has me worried. Sounds like it's alluding to the item being made in China. Furthermore the decription also says"made in USA" was printed by the maker

https://www.newvape.com/4-piece-63mm-space-case-grinder-9133/

almost there,

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
can someone who owns a space case grinder let me know if this looks authentic. It's listed much cheaper than retail price elsewhere but new vape is reputable as far as I know. I want to get this ASAP but that description statement "please assume import" has me worried. Sounds like it's alluding to the item being made in China. Furthermore the decription also says"made in USA" was printed by the maker

Just buy NV's own in house made grinders. The fine grind version is awesome.
https://www.newvape.com/grinders/

rodders83

Looks authentic 100% but get 88mm not 66mm

almost there

Looks authentic 100% but get 88mm not 66mm
I think I'll pass, the wording of the description just doesn't inspire my confidence. Space Cases are not imported, the fact that they tell u to "assume it's an import" may justify the low price. Figured since it was sold by New Vape I'd give it the benefit of the doubt but $20 is just too good to be true

rodders83

Did you ask them @almost there? I know the price is low there are new versions now with colours i got mine from spacecasegrinders but no one seems to know who makes SpaceCase it is a bit of a mystery it just said Made in the USA. The big one is a beast though but it still uses teflon sadly Nylon and Teflon feature in most.

What is needed is a better design in a stronger material that is a lifetime grinder without bloody accessories like Nylon or Teflon O-Rings. So the traditional spin design is no good. I think the spinning one came close apart from the Nylon maybe if it was all Titanium or Steel from top to blade and one solid strong peice. And with some Japanese Samurai Steel to boot folded by a master and quenched in the urine of a red headed boy for maximum toughness. Now that i want because it would mince bud and never break.

rodders83,
Reactions: mixchu69

almost there

Did you ask them @almost there? I know the price is low there are new versions now with colours i got mine from spacecasegrinders but no one seems to know who makes SpaceCase it is a bit of a mystery it just said Made in the USA. The big one is a beast though but it still uses teflon sadly Nylon and Teflon feature in most.

What is needed is a better design in a stronger material that is a lifetime grinder without bloody accessories like Nylon or Teflon O-Rings. So the traditional spin design is no good. I think the spinning one came close apart from the Nylon maybe if it was all Titanium or Steel from top to blade and one solid strong peice. And with some Japanese Samurai Steel to boot folded by a master and quenched in the urine of a red headed boy for maximum toughness. Now that i want because it would mince bud and never break.
I couldn't get a diffinitive response at first but on the second email the rep said it's an imported product(Space Case is made in the US). I have a knockoff currently, no point in getting something that works equally poorly

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
The big one is a beast though but it still uses teflon sadly Nylon and Teflon feature in most.

Wow you sure are ignorant of materials. Do you even know what the teflon ring does in a space case? Should I even tell you if your stigma against plastic is so great?

The teflon ring in the space case is for lubrication. With out it the grinders would squeak, be extremely hard to turn and require a liquid or powder based lubricant. I'm sure you'd love to have to apply oil or graphite to your grinder for it to work properly. Because that's exactly what you're suggesting with a steel on steel grinder.

Winegums,

rodders83

Wow you sure are ignorant of materials. Do you even know what the teflon ring does in a space case? Should I even tell you if your stigma against plastic is so great?

The teflon ring in the space case is for lubrication. With out it the grinders would squeak, be extremely hard to turn and require a liquid or powder based lubricant. I'm sure you'd love to have to apply oil or graphite to your grinder for it to work properly. Because that's exactly what you're suggesting with a steel on steel grinder.

I am not ignorant in my opinion i was told/read teflon is toxic? Of course it is there to stop steel on steel but you still have teflon grinding steel. Tell me then why do you need to replace these? Because they wear down and probably create a micro particle dust that probably in some minute degree can be around herbs. This is not ignorance it is if anything being OCD about what materials are around herb that is going to be vaped dude.

There are other ways to grate herb i am sure the chopper is close, It just has nylon on steel as i said i do not want anything on my bud that can be vaped. At least Steel fragments wont vape at 200c like Teflon or plastic that is all i am saying there is no need to pounce, Retract the claws!

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I am not ignorant in my opinion i was told/read teflon is toxic? Of course it is there to stop steel on steel but you still have teflon grinding steel. Tell me then why do you need to replace these? Because they wear down and probably create a micro particle dust that probably in some minute degree can be around herbs. This is not ignorance it is if anything being OCD about what materials are around herb that is going to be vaped dude.

There are other ways to grate herb i am sure the chopper is close, It just has nylon on steel as i said i do not want anything on my bud that can be vaped. At least Steel fragments wont vape at 200c like Teflon or plastic that is all i am saying there is no need to pounce, Retract the claws!

I've never had to replace my teflon ring on my space case in 4 years and it looks the same as when I got it. The teflon is self lubricating sits outside of the area where the herbs are being ground. But I understand your concerns now. I thought you were talking about teflon not being a good bearing material. Like I suggested earlier with in the thread, a Food grade sealed ball bearing would have been my choice over the nylon bushing. Sorry about snapping =/

max

Out to lunch

A lot of people take being called "ignorant" as an insult, so I'd take this as an unofficial warning from an official source to avoid using that term for other members here.

As for needing an o-ring on a grinder, it's clear that you've never used my favorite brand. MixnBall grinders are no longer being produced, but I've been using them for almost ten years and they neither use nor require o-rings. They don't need lubricant either, just cleaning like any other brand, and you never need to worry about replacing a damaged or worn o-ring. The metal to metal contact doesn't result in any wear worth worrying about and they turn just fine, just not as quiet as with the o-ring design, although they do not squeak. I've used my 2 piece MixnBalls for many years, both the 2" and 3" sizes and they still do a great job. And steel on steel is a surprising term. Metal grinders are almost universally aluminum.

I've also used grinders with o-rings for years, and I've never come close to wearing out any o-ring. As for any particles getting into the ground herb, the ring is outside the grinder chamber so it's simply not a concern. You're breathing more crap on a daily basis than you could possibly get via any nano particles from an o-ring.

Top Bottom