Herb Grinders

max

Out to lunch
The MixnBall owner is proof that it takes more than a good product. The Nano still shows as "Availability: In stock" on the site. Obviously, it isn't.

A very good option to the Nano, IMO, is the Head Chef mini. It's slightly smaller (maybe 2mm), has the same # of teeth (top and bottom) with the same layout, and a center magnet, which the Nano lacks. It's black, which I don't like (especially since the Head Chef 56mm grinder is anodized like the Nano), but does a great job of grinding, is a little taller than the Nano, and has a nice grip on the top for easy grinding. This brand is apparently made in the UK, since that's the only place I can find it. EDIT got it to me in 10 days, and total cost was $10.61 (including 31 cts currency conversion fee). Considering EDIT's price on the Nano, w/shipping and the same currency fee, is $18.04, I'd have to say the Head Chef Mini is the way to go, at least vs. the Nano.

The small Kannastor is a little bigger at 38mm, and I'm curious about that one, but I'm not willing to part with another $17 just yet though.

max,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
I'm very curious about the acrylic Volcano grinder and I would buy one but they seem to be perpetually unavailable in the US unless you want to order from overseas and pay exorbitant shipping. Anyone know of a US distributor?

jeffp,

willieR

Been here since 2009
... Done and done. I'll report back after it arrives. I like the magnet aspect, and had wished the Nano had one.

As Max said, it takes more than a product

willieR,

SmokingElectricity

i'm gonna do something that i have never done before. revise a review. originally i stated that i was unimpressed with the sharp crusher that max recommended. i thought the aluminum was of a lower grade than others i had used in the past. I WAS WRONG. the grinder has held up quite well and i have been using it quite often the past 2 weeks. now here is why i changed my mind and why i actually really like this product. on the inside of the lid, there is a recessed rim. why is this important you ask? what happens when you turn a 4 pcs grinder upside down to achieve a finer grind? it usually makes a mess and gunks up the grinder much much faster. but with the recessed rim on this particular model sharp crusher, this does not happen. it contains the bud in the grinding section, reducing gunk up. giving you the ability to grind your bud much, much finer than any 4 pcs i have ever used [even my beloved mini chromium crusher] while this does not eliminate gunk up, its does reduce it. i'd say by 90%. it has also held up quite well to the freezer. with this technique you can grind your bud down to almost powder and reclaim kief [if that's what you choose.] i like to reclaim kief. it comes in very handy when i need to get heavily medicated quickly or when the stash is getting low.

dscn0414y.jpg

SmokingElectricity,

max

Out to lunch
^ You can also see, in this blown up pic, the shape of the teeth-an offset diamond shape that cuts better, IMO, than the standard diamond configuration, which tends to just cut with the leading edge. I only remember seeing this improved shape on the current Sharp Crusher and the MixnBall brand, but it could show up on new CC and Sharpstone models as well, since they all seem to be made in the same place.

I've been using my new 2.5" Sharp Crusher quite a bit. It's Chromium Crusher quality at a better price- $17 delivered for the 2.5" and $15 for the 2.25". I used to dislike the screen mesh size used on this and the CC, as too fine for me, but I've changed my mind and now think that it's the best all around size and what you get with most screen grinders. As long as I make an effort to dry my herb out before grinding, I get a very nice supply of kief in the collector. Without drying, particularly if it's sticky, you're just not gonna get much kief to break loose and drop through.

The only thing I don't like about the new Sharp Crusher design, is that the o-ring is quite a bit thinner. I think it's too thin. If you could buy a 5 or 10 pack of replacment o-rings for a couple of bucks, it wouldn't bother me as much. But I don't see any o-rings available, as a separate item, for any grinder except the Mixnball Combat. Since I've never worn out or destroyed an o-ring, it wouldn't keep me from buying the grinder if I looked at it in a store, but I do intend to let the seller know that IMO, the o-ring should be thicker. It was fine on the previous model, and I don't know why they changed it. How much $ can you really save with skimping on o-ring material?

max,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Still waiting on my mix n ball nano.... but the Head Chef mini shipped same day.

willieR,

azw1

hey all, great thread.

i'm new at vaping, so far have only used my vapor genie which has been incredible. I'm intrigued by these grinders, but I'm wondering if they are worth it, at least for the VG.

Is there really an advantage over just using a sharp chef's knife and cutting board (other than the portability factor)?

azw1,

Vitolo

Vaporist
azw1 said:
Is there really an advantage over just using a sharp chef's knife and cutting board (other than the portability factor)?
YES!
a grinder much more evenly cuts and exposes the surfaces of your material. It also sort of 'roughs up' the herb so it is freshly exuding its crystals just released.
I can't imagine a chefs knife getting any herb fine enough for vaping, unless manned by a chef on High doses of caffiene, over the course of a morning!

Vitolo,

azw1

right on! thanks.
well, the knife method has been working pretty well for me so far, but then I don't know the difference.. I will definitely compare at some point!
The herb has to be the right dryness, but that's probably true for grinders, too. What I get looks similar to the photos I see, and it doesn't take long with rocking action. I can't imagine how some get fine enough with the scissors and shot glass alternative...

azw1,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Even though I own several high-quality grinders, in my book there is nothing that gets a finer consistency than scissors and a shot glass. They have to be decent quality small scissors, and the bottom of the shot glass has to have a convex (or is it "concave?" :/ ) shape.

:2c:

Stu,

Vitolo

Vaporist
azw1 said:
... I can't imagine how some get fine enough with the scissors and shot glass alternative...
I lovingly pulled my bud apart hair by hair, to prepare for vaping. I was THAT old school about it.
I stepped into the future with my acceptance of grinders. I have tested a bunch, and stuck with my faves. Some weed gets put through one, and then a vial is prepared for another vape that uses a finer grind (MFLB for example) and that weed is sent through a different grinder!
Photoon2011-06-09at18322.jpg

I was the diehard that didn't believe in grinders!

Vitolo,

los

Stu said:
Even though I own several high-quality grinders, in my book there is nothing that gets a finer consistency than scissors and a shot glass. They have to be decent quality small scissors, and the bottom of the shot glass has to have a convex (or is it "concave?" :/ ) shape.

i too prefer this method for vaping, i grind it up in my 2pc sc and then use the scissor, shot glass method......works well for me :D

los,

Nycdeisel

I actually use a rather small pair of barber shears(they looked a ton more comfortable to hold compared to all the little nail cuticle scissors I had been using...) to even out any rough edges(not really any rough edges, but to get it a bit finer and more even) after it has gone through my 2 piece medium SC. works very well. You can get it quite fine too if you really go at it with the scissors.

Nycdeisel,

azw1

cool. I didn't realize that the scissor method is sometimes used in conjunction with a grinder.
I'm looking forward to giving both a try.
Not to change subject, but seems like many here use the MFLB. Does anybody use the vapor genie and find that a coarser grind is better, or in principle is finer always better?

azw1,

Nycdeisel

No, you dont always want a fine grind. But for the MFLB, it makes a huge difference. Most here will say you want it close to powder for the Box, but not quite that fine.

Nycdeisel,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I've been testing different grind consistencies with the EQ and I can tell you that I am finding that the finer grind makes a big difference with it as well.

Stu,

Vitolo

Vaporist
willieR said:
I was hoping for something on Vito TV (VTV) :lol:
Wow!.. my own network! (that went completely over my head! :doh:)
I will make a fun grinder video, but can't do a true comparison, as I have passed the ones I did not care for on to friends, and stopped buying once I was happy with what I was using. I don't personally search for improved grind, cause I am happy!
You are very cool willie and I will make a playful vid of my faves!

Vitolo,

willieR

Been here since 2009
What all the typical YouTube vids lack is a personality. They are generally faceless and voiceless for onvious reasons. Our Vito, however is a legit patient, and is free to show his face. That gives his vids a great advantage in my mind.

Vito's obviously a fun and articulate guy, which makes his vids MORE fun to watch. Also lends huge credibility. You could host a site for this and link to YouTube. Pick up some Google Ad $ from the traffic.

In fact, you could easily sell product if you ask me.

Also a lot of companies would send you products to try and review.

willieR,

Vitolo

Vaporist

dailygrind.jpg

It is in no way a grinder comparison or demo. It is just me getting my meeds ready for a days routine vaping.

Please note. I do not necessarily consume all of the herb you've seen me prepare. I may share with another vaporist, or may not have to prepare again for a day or two.
I guess what I am saying here, is I like this community, so I am sharing of myself, that you know me better!

Last edited:
Vitolo,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Nice vid Vito! I didn't really understand why you use a separate stash for "repairs and testing" though. Can you elaborate?

:peace:

Stu,
Top Bottom