Herb Grinders

SmokingElectricity

max said:
I've found that a coffee grinder does the best job of powderizing herb for the MFLB (vs my 4pc mendo mulcher)
Yep. That fine mesh screen and conduction style begs for a really fine grind.

and the mulcher does the best job for the PD/SSV and spliffs.
If you mean a 4 pc., I'd agree on the latter two, although, for me a $16 Sharp Crusher does as good a job as the more expensive Mendo. The log vapes do better with a two piece grind IMO. I'll usually do a screen grind if I want to separate kief, then put it through a 2 pc. before loading in a PD tube.

I picked up a Titan 2 pc. from KGP on eBay recently. It's the same size as the MixnBall Classic (2.2", 56mm) with the MnB very slightly deeper. It has a nice, dark gray anodized coating (considerably darker than the MnB-almost black) with a few more teeth, although the MnB's teeth have more edges (Titan has the standard diamond shaped teeth), and there are more grinding edges on the perimeter too. Like the MnB, a reasonable # of teeth makes for easier herb loading. Titan has a thick, white o-ring which gives it a black and white look. TITAN appears on the top 4 times (a little overkill there IMO), also in white. Kelly shipped this 2 pc. really quick and it was only $13 delivered. The small Space Case 2 pc. is very affordable (especially for FC members), but this is a nice option if you want a darker, anodized model for $5 or so cheaper than the shiny SC version. Personally, I'd give the edge to the MnB Classic ($16 on eBay) over the Titan, for more sharp edges and no o-ring to mess with as far as cleaning, losing, breaking, etc., but the Titan is nice.

The 4 pc. Titans have removeable screens like the MnB grinders. Since I like the 2 pc., I guess I'm gonna have to feed my grinder obsession and try a 4 pc. The similarity between this brand (it did come in a branded box with instructions) and MnB makes me wonder if MnB was the inspiration for Titan. :hmm: I don't find it anywhere but Kelly's store on eBay though.

i almost ordered the 4pcs 75mm titan last week, but did not because i never heard of them or ever seen them being sold anywhere else online. i may have to try this bad boy out.

kelly sure has some nice nug jars though. perfect for keeping ground herbs.
img20101130172722.jpg

SmokingElectricity,

jambolaya

Hi, I just got my first grinder and vape(mflb)
I remember reading on this tread earlier that you should first use your grinder with oregano or some other herb before using weed in it for the first time. Is this true? Should I clean it somehow before my first use?
thank you

jambolaya,

Nycdeisel

oh yes, always clean anything that comes in contact with your herb.

First, grind up some paper, or tobacco or something, then rinse that out, and wash it thoroughly with alcohol, you can even use a clean toothbrush to detail, then rinse it thoroughly and be sure to let it air dry COMPLETELY so mold and other fungi wont develope. be sure its completely dry.

Nycdeisel,

jambolaya

So should I just grind some oregano with paper, then dump it and rinse it with water, then pour iso on it, and the rinse with water again?

jambolaya,

Nycdeisel

you should scrub the alcohol everywhere with a clean toothbrush or something. Close the pieces tightly and pour alcohol and shake agitate, twist, grind etc. Then make sure to rinse well and more importantly make sure its COMPLETELY DRY before you seal it up.

Nycdeisel,

jambolaya

okay, last thing. I cant find any herbs around my house, can I just grind up paper? And should I also pour the iso into the keif screen/chamber?
thanks for your help

jambolaya,

Nycdeisel

tear it up small and grind for a while, dump the paper, rinse out all the paper. Wash the whole thing in alcohol, make sure its making contact with all parts for at least a minute or so. Rinse well. air dry pieces openly for a while....

Nycdeisel,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Well I bought this grinder a couple months ago but I thought it as about time I post up a review of it.

It is a Cosmic 2.75inch 4piece grinder (made in the USA :brow:). When I was buying it and comparing it to other grinders at the store, this grinder really stood out to me in terms of quality. It felt much solid then the others and the turning was ridiculously smooth.

The inside was also filled with quality from the sharp teeth to the strong screen. This thing can grind through full nugs if needed, stem and all.

I previously owned a sharpstone 4pc 1.5 inches and the grind quality was good but it was too small for larger amounts and after a while I noticed a tooth or two was bent. I haven't even seen the slightest hint that anything is bent yet and ive easily ground through many ounces by now.

EDIT: haha sorry the beer can is actually a tallboy instead of a normal sized can like the one in the background.

HighSti,

jambolaya

I dont think that the 4pc grinder grinds finely enough for the mflb, so I want to get a coffee grinder. Could anyone tell me what the best coffee grinder is? A lot of people use the Mr. Coffee grinder

jambolaya,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
4pc will do the job fine... Some people aren't smart enough to turn the grinder upside down while grinding and will tell you it doesn't grind fine enough. I have a mflb myself and this grinder is perfect and guess what... Its a four peice :D

HighSti,

AcADIeN

Sylvain
danielofski I'm using the wall mart brand for 2 years now, using it every day, no need to buy an expensive coffee grinder, but if you do want a lot of pollen, find a round dome.

something like this http://www.cosmicscoffee.com/images/pictures/capresso-blade-coffee-grinder-cool-grind.jpg

not this http://www.homebrewunderground.com/images/coffee-grinder.jpg

the pollen will be more pure with a round dome. Any edge will put more leaf in your pollen.

before getting a vap, I was a big pollen smoker, it was pretty much the only thing I smoked (keeping the weed that I wasn't able to grind anymore in a bag to make BHO) now I vape all that weed that I left behind all those years.

EDIT: this was the best I ever had, with that the pollen was close to white with a little yellow in it, I wish I could find another one
http://static.letsbuyit.com/filer/i.../94/58/james-martin-zx595-coffee-grinder.jpeg

AcADIeN,

lwien

HighSti said:
4pc will do the job fine... Some people aren't smart enough to turn the grinder upside down while grinding and will tell you it doesn't grind fine enough.

I AM smart enough, and I find that my 2pc ti SpaceCase works better for a finer grind than my 4pc ti SpaceCase did. Turning a 4pc upside down to grind presents it's own set of issues that I would just as soon not want to put up with.

lwien,

AcADIeN

Sylvain
a friend of mine got his grinder with his volcano, it was all plastic (orange color) 2 pcs, I never saw a grinder that good, will try to take a picture when I see him.

AcADIeN,

max

Out to lunch
HighSti said:
Some people aren't smart enough to turn the grinder upside down while grinding and will tell you it doesn't grind fine enough.
Did it occur to you that some people don't want the extra mess involved when you turn a screen grinder upside down? And for some, nothing but an electric coffee grinder provides a fine enough grind for the LB. So we really do have some members here that will tell you a 4 pc. grinder, or even a 2 pc., doesn't grind fine enough. And you seem to be telling them to use your definition of a fine grind, while calling them dumb at the same time. I think you need to change your style of posting a little, for this forum anyway.

Nycdeisel said:
Why dont people like to use 2 piece grinders??
Quite a few do, including me. I use 3 different sizes, from 1 1/8" to 2 5/8" in diameter. You get more hardware for your money with a typical 4 pc. (unless you're going high end), so those tend to be more popular. The 4 pc. grind consistency is fine for smoking and most vapes as well, adding to the heavy lean toward 4 pc. sales.

max,

jambolaya

I did use the 4pc grinder upside down that comes with the mflb from puffit up, but it is nowhere near fine enough for the mflb. And I can get a coffee grinder easier and for about the same or even cheaper than a 2pc.

jambolaya,

SmokingElectricity

the technique that has been working for me [quite well i may add] is i start off with either using a 5pcs or 4 pcs so i can collect some kief, then i throw it in the 2 pcs if i want a finer grind.

on a side note, i ordered both a Titanium Crusher AND a 4 pcs Titan 1 7/8 inch today. been wanting to check both of these bad boys out for a minute now.

SmokingElectricity,

max

Out to lunch
Let me know how you like the removeable screen on the Titan. I like the 2 pc., except that herb seems to get into the outer rim a little too easily.

max,

gulchbud

I've been lovin my dbv for only a few weeks and I can tell you that my old Braun coffee grinder has been working wonderfully getting the herb nicely fine with lots of kief in the nooks and crannies as the blades go round and round. I also have a Mr. Coffee (just for beans) which looks like it would work just as well.
I have used a manual grinder, but it just tore the herb apart into relatively large particles.
Seems like the object is to get the particles really fine so that the exposed surface area is maximzed, thereby exposing more of the tricomes to the hot air that one then inhales.
I just barely cover the screen with the particles and get three or four very tasty hits. Da Budda is da bomb!

gulchbud,

OO

Technical Skeptical
the push style grinder works great for me, and makes the finest grind i've ever seen, you just need to make sure it is full.

OO,

PoopMachine

AcADIeN said:
a friend of mine got his grinder with his volcano, it was all plastic (orange color) 2 pcs, I never saw a grinder that good, will try to take a picture when I see him.

That is a great grinder. I have a Sharpstone and Chromium Crusher but my Volcano grinder is m favorite out of the group.

PoopMachine,
Top Bottom