Herb Grinders

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
My SLX "last grinder i would ever buy" clogged again only two weeks after cleaning. Decided to clean it once more so i could use it while i wait for my Old Mate to arrive.
When i removed the flat vinyl o-ring it broke apart in like 10 pieces... I thought:whatever...
Cleaned the grinder in boiling water and after that decided to grind a good amount in one session to get it over and done with.
4 strains/5 grams later i had my reloads filled for a day or two i thought...
But then i noticed my fingers and palms were completely covered wit grey/silver dusting.... Because that o-ring wasn't there i suspect (even tho i didn't put that much pressure).... Looked as if i had aluminium fingers! :ugh:
Goddamn mtfr btch!
Ended up throwing 5 g of freshly ground weed in the bin. 😭
I'll visit my SLX grinder with an angle grinder coming weekend, gonna rip that mtfr a new one...

For now i'm without grinder and completely lost ;)
Can't get an even, consistent grind by hand or by sciccors... takes forever.
So i'm throwing full nugs at my SB Runt while i patiently await my Old Mate!
Not advertised like that but this one WILL probably be the last grinder i'll ever have to buy!

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
This is I guess another copy/unbranded clone of an american design

rBNaFl8X4qWADS9UAAJxQS8W-JA061.jpg

- Made from ONE piece of premium Aircraft Grade Aluminum precisely machined on computerized CNC machines.

I think i saw the original somewhere else and they are talking about some kind of ceramic coating... I just cannot see that not getting scratched and looking terrible very quickly?

Madtater

This is I guess another copy/unbranded clone of an american design

rBNaFl8X4qWADS9UAAJxQS8W-JA061.jpg

I think i saw the original somewhere else and they are talking about some kind of ceramic coating... I just cannot see that not getting scratched and looking terrible very quickly?
Or having the ceramic coat chipping and getting the grind.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
I dunno. I was totally on board the SS train but as the wait got longer and longer and I was still seeing zero wear on my BCG, it became a lot lower priority.

Also, two more years of being triggered by wingnut Covid-related anti-science has made me a lot more chill about doomsday health trends in general.

The research on aluminum is far from conclusive, though I wouldn’t want to live near GFL’s CNC machines. After all, it’s well known that nanobots hide in metal dust. One wrong breath and boom, China controls your brain!

AssistedLiving

I dunno. I was totally on board the SS train but as the wait got longer and longer and I was still seeing zero wear on my BCG, it became a lot lower priority.
I've been waiting so long for something stainless to be shipping I'm asking myself do I really want a grinder at all, just something else that might attract questions from nosey staff : )

Living in "no smoking, vaping or even cannabis possession" on the property assisted living, I searched long & hard for a device I could use, at all. That I've been able to stay in my room during these cold winter months, as well as hot and muggy summer days, I'm thrilled to have a reason to hand break small pieces of bud, so what if I'm not extracting every last bit of thc.

I'm sitting in a nice room, watching whatever I want on a big screen tv, with free cable, while web surfing on a new laptop because of free wifi, having a little cheese with my afternoon beer, all while having restaurant quality meals brought to my room by pretty young things that wonder why I'm so happy & talkative, cheers!

but that Old MATE is very tempting : )

Last edited:

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
You are not using it enough or you need glasses.:2c:
I didn’t say I wouldn’t get there eventually, just that it’s not a priority. From what I can see, you load more in your Plenty than I use in a week!

Sorely tempted by the Old Mate, esp since he’ll do them minus the engraving. But then the TA and BAK are coming and I think I’m due for a GTR. Gotta keep prioritizing. 😉

Knewt

The BCG has a nice UHMW wear ring that takes up the vertical wear and makes it rotate well. It doesn‘t have anything that reduces friction in the axial motion, so there will be wear eventually. The Old Mate has a bearing that handles the vertical load as well as the axial load.

Knewt

I thought the OM3 felt heavier than my other stainless steel grinders so I thought I'd do a weigh in.

BCG regular - 158g~
Flowermill - 230g~
BCG large - 233g~
Herb Ripper XL - 317g~
United Machining - 347g~
OldMate OM3 - 483g~

The OldMate OM3 is a beast!
My stainless 4 piece ZAM is 595g. It’s the same diameter as the Aroma-3, but is 11mm taller.

SquirrelMaster

My stainless 4 piece ZAM is 595g. It’s the same diameter as the Aroma-3, but is 11mm taller.
Holy hell that's a heavy one! I've always like heavy grinders because they feel substantial, but the additional weight does require more effort to grind. There are definitely other factors that at play like the teeth design, magnet strength amd o-ring material (if present). That was why I have wanted a stainless steel BCG for so long and I ordered one the minute they went live. The design of their aluminum grinders is fantastic and I think the weight should be a benefit.

The OldMate is completely different than other other grinder that I've seen and the weight absolutely aids in the grinding process. I don't think it would be nearly as effective (or fun) if it was lightweight.

The stainless steel Lift grinder looked similar in that regard from the videos I've seen, but it felt a little over engineered and more importantly out of my price range, especially with the recent price increase.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
That was why I have wanted a stainless steel BCG for so long
I was in the same boat but they only use 304S/S so I resisted (316S/S is much better at corrosion resistance and is also much harder than 304 so needs machining at a lower speed).
Ben will make the OM out of any material you want (I got 316S/S which is probably overkill)...if you pay the price...he really wants a customer to order a unit made from sterling silver!

SquirrelMaster

I was in the same boat but they only use 304S/S so I resisted (316S/S is much better at corrosion resistance and is also much harder than 304 so needs machining at a lower speed).
Ben will make the OM out of any material you want (I got 316S/S which is probably overkill)...if you pay the price...he really wants a customer to order a unit made from sterling silver!
Yeah 316 is probably overkill for most but you've piqued my interest. That is very cool that he can use other materials. How much would a sterling silver one cost!

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
How much would a sterling silver one cost!
No idea but also unsure if it would be hard enough for something like this tbh? Wouldn't the relative softness of the material compromise the sharpness of the teeth after a while?
Also wonder if it wouldn't tarnish on the long run? Not exactly easy to buff up between the teeth...;)

Maybe a Titanium version would be an idea?
Edit: personally i'm really stoked about it being SS so i'm not really interested in a different metal tbh. But higher grade SS is something else oc...

SquirrelMaster

No idea but also unsure if it would be hard enough for something like this tbh? Wouldn't the relative softness of the material compromise the sharpness of the teeth after a while?
Also wonder if it wouldn't tarnish on the long run? Not exactly easy to buff up between the teeth...;)

Maybe a Titanium version would be an idea?
Edit: personally i'm really stoked about it being SS so i'm not really interested in a different metal tbh. But higher grade SS is something else oc...
I was thinking of the tarnishing but yeah it is not nearly as hard as stainless steel or titanium. Titanium weighs a lot less which would make the OM3 more portable but I don't know if I'd personally like the lightweight of it. I would assume it would be very pricey.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I am a huge fan of sterling silver, but it is really soft - the teeth would definitely have to be made of something else.
And the body would scratch up just looking at it (Ok, not really, but I have babied a lot of Sterling in my days and it always gets scratched up no matter how careful I am)

I am also pretty sure Sterling silver would negatively affect the flavor of the herb.

Okla68

I am a huge fan of sterling silver, but it is really soft - the teeth would definitely have to be made of something else.
And the body would scratch up just looking at it (Ok, not really, but I have babied a lot of Sterling in my days and it always gets scratched up no matter how careful I am)

I am also pretty sure Sterling silver would negatively affect the flavor of the herb.
Thats the BEAUTY of Sterling, its "glowing" History, Patina ! Im sure there are folks with Gold grinders....but Not the Inside... although inhaling nanosize particles of Gold may be good for you ?
Sterling for Jewelry- yes
Sterling Grinder Internals- No

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

Also titanium, but I mostly see 2 pieces by him

Top Bottom