Herb Grinders

Kief

Medicated
I already have a medium 4 pcs SCS and love it, but will like to find some way to grind more my meds for the MFLB. Any homemade tips or a better grinder? I wont pay more than 60$ for MFLB's finishing grinder (I think 23$ for shipment is too much) so besides it is there anyway to grind so finelly?
This question has been asked many times in this thread and in the MFLB thread, you could do a search and come up with a lot of info. I actually read through this thread a few times and have also done the search the hard way... bought too many damn grinders. If you are looking for something bigger than the mini/micro grinders for your MFLB, I highly recommend the Volcano Herb Mill available at PlanetVape for only $7.49. It really works great and is definitely the best vaporizing purchase I made for under $10.

Nbajunkie

Someones always watching..
I received my 2" mendo mulcher a couple days ago..My initial reaction was whoa whoa..this grinder just gave me tiny whopper hands..true story. I was expecting something smaller coming from a nano like grinder and mflb finishing grinder...But its growing on me.Its solid aluminum and feels heavy.The magnet snaps loudly inplace everytime.I like the chamber inside,lots of room for the bud to move freely..I dont know that its the last griner Il ever need but its a solid piece that will earn its keep.

Nbajunkie,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Just got our new SCS medium. Here it is, beside the other grinder. We are doing a comparison photo shoot:

grinder006.jpg

SCS is a bit larger, both taller and wider.

grinder004.jpg

The blade spacing is different. The feel of the SCS is nicer, too. Heftier. The magnetic seal is great! The blue grinder has a silicon ring to add slip to the grind, but there is almost nothing but friction holding it together - my husband tells me that there is a magnet, but it is way wimpy.

grinder003.jpg

We used approximately the same size/weight/amount of GSC herb, and twisted them each the same amount of time. Wow, it's a bit amazing how different the result is. The blue grinder does actually grind. All those little crumbs and bits. The SCS sliced the herb into a really uniform state.

grinder005.jpg

A look at the "pollen screen"... the SCS screen is noticeably finer, and the pollen catcher itself is shallower.

We are currently vaping the results (okay, most of it went back into the Cvault), and I anticipate that when I empty the NO2, the ABV will be very evenly vaked.

*** Conclusion ***

The SCS costs around $67 USD. The blue grinder cost us about $25. Yeah, it's a bit spendier, but I am seeing a serious improvement in the herb going into the vape, which I would guess would mean herb conservation, over time. Yes, the SCS is "worth it" in my opinion.

Vape on! :tup:

Chill Dude

Yeah, The Santa Cruz Shredder Rocks!! i have a small and a medium 2 piece grinder and they are the best grinders I've ever had. Produces a nice fluffy grind that works very well in all of my vapes. none of that sawdust or lumpy grind you get with some other grinders.....

max

Out to lunch
Produces a nice fluffy grind
The consistency of the ground herb is primarily determined by the moisture content and/or stickiness. I can load dry herb in my santa cruz and it turns to powder if I grind enough. It powders to some extent even if I just give it the 'once over'.

none of that sawdust or lumpy grind you get with some other grinders.....
The only grind I've ever gotten that could be called lumpy (from a wide variety of models/brands) is from two different Mendo Mulchers, and that was due to the tooth design (only two edges), which provides only a coarse grind. In fact, I can't even call the result of that design a 'grind'. It just slices through the bud that's directly in the path of the teeth, and spins after that.

max,

Chill Dude

max, good point on the dryness of the bud being a factor of final grind consistency . However, I still feel that tha SC Shredder does better with excessively dry bud than others such as Space Case. With very dry bud, I only turn one full revolution and the grind is pretty uniform, but as you stated "It powders to some extent".

Chill Dude,

SD_haze

I've been using a non-vape-style MendoMulcher 2pc for 15 months now, exclusively.
I do feel a bit lumpy

SD_haze,
Reactions: mvapes

Enchantre

Oil Painter
The consistency of the ground herb is primarily determined by the moisture content and/or stickiness. I can load dry herb in my santa cruz and it turns to powder if I grind enough. It powders to some extent even if I just give it the 'once over'.

</snip>
That's why I broke up one bud, and put half in each. So it would be a fair, equal test. :)

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
The more I use this limited edition "satin" finish 2 piece SCS, the more I think it is the perfect shredder for me. Max is right, the 2 piece is the way to go. With no anodized finish to chip or make problems, its also soft and warm to the touch :) A little grinder grease applied when the unit is clean helps keep it functioning smoothly. Not too many of these left, I just ordered another . . .

http://www.santacruzshredder.bigcartel.com/product/large-2-piece-silver-white-super-limited-edition
scs2l.jpg

timmahsan

treEnt
Does anyone have any opinions on a mortar and pestle for the MFLB? I picked up a decent mini mortar for 10 bucks on Amazon. I am pretty happy with the results, however, drier bud works better.

timmahsan,
Top Bottom