Herb Grinders

ILoveRadiohead!

stonemonkey55 said:
OK, the one I want says its 8 weeks delay, is this the one you bought radiohead? http://store.mixnball.com/cubecart/index.php/classic-screen-pollen-herb-grinder/p_10.html
Hey Stone, sorry I haven't checked this thread for awhile. That is the exact same one I received from the ebay mixnball seller. Comes with that maroon bag and shipping was quite fast.
stonemonkey55 said:
What's the main difference between that one and this one? http://store.mixnball.com/cubecart/index.php/double-screen-grinder/p_6.html

I know it has a double screen, but is that really necessary having two screens? Worth the extra money?
I think the extra fine screen just gives you an even more pure pollen. For me I didn't really see a need to spend twice as much for an extra screen and I don't care if there is a tiny bit of leaf material or red hair particles in my kief. As it stands it seems the classic kief consistency is pretty good. A tiny bit of green but the stuff I was grinding was bone dry so it might be better with a little moisture.

One other difference is I think the double screen grinder is a tiny bit bigger than the classic and the triple screen is a hair bigger than the double. 2.2 inches was the perfect size for me so that wasn't a factor in my decision.

SpiralArchitect said:
Now,

I think I'm going to try out Mix N' Ball....

I just have one question, specifically to owners of Mix N' Ball.... how is the kief build up on the edges? My biggest complaint about grinders is all that good kief getting lost in threads/outside edges... The pictures ILoveRadiohead! posted seem to indicate their is very little kief lost.

From page 1:

See all that kief on the edge? I don't want that.
I think that the anodized aluminum and the coating MNB uses helps prevent the kief from getting everywhere when you unscrew it. That plus the fact the screen doesn't quite go all the way to the edge of the inner kief compartment probably helps in some way too.

IMG_1392e.jpg

SpiralArchitect said:
Most likely I'll be ordering one from an eBay vendor. These aren't 'old' models, are they?
As far as I can tell there are exactly whats advertised on the mixnball site. Here is another shot of all the parts. And it comes with that maroon bag I just don't have it in the shot.

SpiralArchitect said:
You said you could get different size holes from KGP products.... do you just ask him in the request or are they separate auctions? I can't seem to find them. I think I might get a 1.5/2.5 4 piece with the smallest sized holes, which would those be? (I want a super fine grind)
Just so you know the classic mixnball has 4.5mm holes which provide for a pretty fine grind (I still usually run my stuff through twice for the PD though).

Here is another shot of the grinding area. I think the teeth are machined in a similar way to the cosmic grinders. They are very sharp and appear to be pretty strong.

IMG_1445.jpg

ILoveRadiohead!,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Prog and SA, thank you very much for your concerns. I feel slighted by the Mendo makers (who I am told, albeit in a casual conversation type of way by Mr. Dixion, will most likely reuse/resell my defective grinders...I was actually told to package them carefully so they don't get "damaged" and can be reused...), as whether they're concerned about my health or not I'll never know, because they seem determined not to acknowledge me :mad: However, it HONESTLY makes everything much better to know there are kind people like yourselves out there who CAN care for a complete stranger. TY

Prog, that rhyme made me giggle...:p Libbies are my favorite. I may be partial because they were my first introduction to the world of psychedelics...and because they grow locally...but baby...what a trip.

SA, I'm glad to hear you got rid of the CC. There's really no need to hold on to a piece that you don't use if it can find a happy home elsewhere. I'm sure you're friend will put it through the paces :brow: Besides, that DOES free up a spot for you to pick up something new you will use. RE: the Kelly's stuff, he only offers multiple hole size options on very specific grinders. There is information about it on his page, and if I get a chance to check it out before you do I will edit it into this post. The Mix 'N' Ball does look appealing though, because of the anodized finish. It would be a unique addition to your collection, no?

partially veiled,

ILoveRadiohead!

partially veiled said:
RE: the Kelly's stuff, he only offers multiple hole size options on very specific grinders. There is information about it on his page, and if I get a chance to check it out before you do I will edit it into this post. The Mix 'N' Ball does look appealing though, because of the anodized finish. It would be a unique addition to your collection, no?
Here is the info on the KGP grinders. You just click on the "me" next to his seller name.

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=kellysgreatproducts

He offers 4, 5, and 6 mm holes on the 2.5" NEW STYLE aluminum grinders.

Kelly's Great Products said:
Many customers are concerned about the END SIZE of product being ground. This is especially true with pollen grinders. Some people want a real fine grind, others want a coarser grind to fall onto the screen.

Grinding time will, of course, have a lot to do with the final consistancy of product size.

The OTHER factor is the hole size in the bottom grinding section. My 2" NEW STYLE pollen grinder is very popular as it has larger holes than most other grinders.

I am now in the position to offer my most popular grinder, the 2.5" NEW STYLE spaceage aluminum pollen grinder with THREE different hole configurations! 4mm. , 5mm. and 6mm. Please see the picture above for a comparitive picture of the three 2.5" and my 2" hole configurations.

For those of you reading this, when you pay for your 2.5" NEW STYLE spaceage aluminum pollen grinder, you may specify the hole configuration that fits YOUR individual needs.

This is just part of my ongoing effort to provide the absolute best possible griner service on Ebay.

Thank You

Kelly
The smallest size hole offered is close to the Mix N Ball classic (4.5mm) but I would guess the amount of holes and hole pattern has an effect on grind as well as teeth type and position.

Also It looks like the demo pics he has are of 3 grinders around 3" and one of 2.5". While comparing it looked like the holes on my mixnball are huge in contrast to the 4mm holes on the KGP site but the mixnaball is just smaller and I took a pretty close photo. :)

ILoveRadiohead!,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Thanks ILR :D (and very nice pics, once again, btw)

Yeah, I have that exact 2.5" grinder from Kelly, with the 4mm holes. I also have a smaller grinder, this one http://cgi.ebay.ca/1-625-Prime-Qual...yZ133QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262 , which I was told (by Kelly) has 3.5mm holes. Kelly said this is currently the smallest diameter hole size he offers, but that was a while ago, it may be worth asking again.

To be honest, I have been less than pleased with the grind quality from the 2.5" grinder. I don't have the same teeth/milling/consistency problems that Spiral had with his 4" grinder, but my complaint would be that the teeth simply aren't sharp enough. Sometimes it ends up "mashing" the bud more than "chopping" it, and there are large pieces that simply don't fall through the holes. I don't think I've ever been able to grind a full load without having to pick some out, break it a little by hand, put it back in and go at it again. I have been thinking about taking a rat tooth file to the teeth to try and sharpen them, and then giving the grinder to a friend of mine...honestly, as it is right now, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving it away, much less selling it. The person I am planning on giving it to IS a very, very close friend though, so I suppose if it were a complete stranger it'd be easier to just part with the piece to be rid of it. I'm not saying all of Kelly's stuff is no good, and in fact the grind quality when it works is actually quite nice, but it's not very reliable. Meh, you get what you pay for...his CNC'd stuff really does look quite nice though.

As for the smaller grinder...well, I've barely used it. I don't find that it really does anything, the grinder capacity is too small to be conveniently used as a first step grinder (at least for the amount of herb I chop), and after running it through the other Kelly's grinder the particle size is just too similar; for the most part the herbs just fall through the holes before I can chop 'em again. I am holding on to this one though, as it may come in handy with my new Ti SC (as the holes appear to be much larger on this grinder...probably 5mm? Anyone?). Oh yeah, and the first time I used this smaller grinder, the bottom piece (the keif collector) became stuck from "over-tightening". It was a serious chore to get it off...

partially veiled,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
pv,

Oh yeah..... my friend smokes a lot of cheeba, so that Chromium is going to be put to good use. I'll report back on how he likes it in a week or so.

That is exactly why I want to try the MixNBall, is the anodized finished.

ILoveRadiohead

Thanks for that great post man! You've convinced me.... I was going to wait for max to chime in, but I went ahead and ordered this guy so it will ship out tomorrow and maybe arrive by the weekend. It doesn't specify which size, but I don't care.... 29.99, free shipping -- even to Alaska, joy!!! :lol:

It says MixNBall is from Israel??? Interesting.

max,
I'd still like to hear your :2c:. Looking forward to finally trying one out. :)

SpiralArchitect,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Nice SA!! That's the exact same one that ILR has, the classic screen, and I believe he said it measures 2.2 inches. Be sure to give us a review, in classic SA style. :)

Checks the internets... Yep, the Mix 'N' Ball site says the classic screen is 2.28 in--congrats man, looks killer.

partially veiled,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Spiral said:
See all that kief on the edge? I don't want that.
To be fair, that was caused more from use than design. That grinder did a lot of traveling, and I took it apart much more than necessary. After a cleaning and without being tossed around in a bag, there's near zero buildup on the edges.

I can barely keep up with all of this herbal grinding goodness, but I think that makes 3 of us with a Space Case on the way.

A while back when registration wasn't required, someone made an anonymous entry into Vaporpedia for "Mendo Mulcher" which I found pretty suspect:

Mendo Mulchers are the only CNC machined grinders made in the USA. That means every other herbal grinder with machined teeth out there is made in the good ol' People's Republic of China. They've got a loyal following in northern California in the Emerald Triangle, but are being found across the USA as their distribution increases. The product is marketed as the best design for preparing herbs for vaporizing, as it has more teeth than the competition which are angled to minimize waste.
Believe it or not, that was after I did a quick edit to make it less spammy. Unfortunately I later purged the database of previous revisions, so I can't dig up the original. Aside from being spammy, the first sentence is just a lie. :tinfoil:

This is for whoever did that:

Here, I cleaned all that nasty kif off for you, Spiral. :D

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Hehehehe, nice one vtac. I loved the F-. :lol:

I guess that is fair, but you know what I mean about kief particles being lost... I want all that goodness in the bottom!

Looking forward to some pics/writeup on those SC's and anxious for my MnB. 2.28in, perfect!!! :D

SpiralArchitect,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I guess that is fair, but you know what I mean about kief particles being lost... I want all that goodness in the bottom!
True they weren't in the bottom, but they weren't lost either. ;)

I was going to write 'FC' but didn't plan very well.

vtac,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
vtac, that MM entry would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. I was about to ask about the "only CNC machined grinders made in the USA" thing, but you did mention that was BS. That's what I thought...as far as I know, at least Space Case is also supposedly made in the USA--any others?

Oh, and who else has a SC on the way? So many entries, so little time...mine still hasn't shipped, but they DO say upfront to expect a 4 business day wait before shipping...:( So impatient.

PS. Nice pics...:D Looks taaaaaasty. Care to share? :lol: Do you have glass vial or something that you've transfered that to? How do you store keif long term (this goes for anyone who feels so inclined to answer)?

partially veiled,

EitherOr

I store my golden dust in little 1 US liquid ounce containers from REI. They are made for pills or spices,etc in case you need to take some when camping/hiking. The lids lock securely and are attached to the container(no lost lid!)

Found a link

http://www.rei.com/product/605890

EitherOr,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I don't collect kief 'long term'. It all gets vaped pretty quick. Very rarely do I get a collection like vtacs. Such restraint!!!! :lol:

Right now I got a pretty good stash going in my Mendo though..... It never really leaves the kief dish.

SpiralArchitect,

EitherOr

I will usually store it for some time, then invite some people and have a chill time

SpiralArchitect said:
I don't collect kief 'long term'. It all gets vaped pretty quick. Very rarely do I get a collection like vtacs. Such restraint!!!! :lol:

Right now I got a pretty good stash going in my Mendo though..... It never really leaves the kief dish.

EitherOr,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
How is the kief consistency in your Cosmic? Really blond or do you get some plant material?

I really don't mind some plant material if it means large yields. However, their is something to be said about vaping some really fine blond kief.... scrumptious.

Happy vaping! :)
I like your sig btw.

SpiralArchitect,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
I'm interested in either the mixnball or KGP CNC 56-4. Does anyone know which one has the smallest holes? Which one has the finer screen?

hazy,

EitherOr

yeh your sig is pretty cool, do you make the text in like photo shop or something?

Compared to pictures online I think it's pretty good. I'll get some pic's of it in the morning when the light is better!

SpiralArchitect said:
How is the kief consistency in your Cosmic? Really blond or do you get some plant material?

I really don't mind some plant material if it means large yields. However, their is something to be said about vaping some really fine blond kief.... scrumptious.

Happy vaping! :)
I like your sig btw.

EitherOr,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
SpiralArchitect said:
when ordering a grinder from KGP, you simply request your hole size with the order.
Thanks Spiral, I saw that earlier but I thought that was just for the "new style" grinder which is different to the CNC grinder (I think). Or am I getting confused?

hazy,

max

Out to lunch
hazy said:
I'm interested in either the mixnball or KGP CNC 56-4. Does anyone know which one has the smallest holes? Which one has the finer screen?
Both have 5mm holes. It's the standard. All the Kelly's CNC grinders are 5mm.

You are correct. The KGP 2.5" 'new style', for $14, has either 4,5, or 6mm holes -click on 'about me' out beside his store name. If you don't specify 4 or 6mm, you get 5mm by default. This is the one and only grinder I've seen where you have a choice of hole sizes. It's not 'all CNC', but it is very good quality.

You have to go down in size to 1.75" to get 3mm holes. I've got this size and it's a nice little grinder. There's one smaller -1 5/16"- with the 3mm holes too.

The MB Classic has a 285 micron screen. The KGP looks very close to that size, and should have a little more screen area.

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Just curious, max, you own several grinders -- which do you use most of the time?

pv, vtac, max and who else have a SpaceCase on the way??

SpiralArchitect,

bongoman

Not on the way - I've had a 2 piece titanium space case for a few months and love it.

bongoman,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Thanks max for clearing that up. It seems that the two grinders I listed are very similar in function, although I have to agree with everyone else about the nice finish on the mnb. I was looking at Kelly's "new style" grinders but lost interest after seeing what PV had to say about them (post #242):
partially veiled said:
To be honest, I have been less than pleased with the grind quality from the 2.5" grinder. I don't have the same teeth/milling/consistency problems that Spiral had with his 4" grinder, but my complaint would be that the teeth simply aren't sharp enough. Sometimes it ends up "mashing" the bud more than "chopping" it, and there are large pieces that simply don't fall through the holes. I don't think I've ever been able to grind a full load without having to pick some out, break it a little by hand, put it back in and go at it again. I have been thinking about taking a rat tooth file to the teeth to try and sharpen them, and then giving the grinder to a friend of mine...honestly, as it is right now, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving it away, much less selling it. The person I am planning on giving it to IS a very, very close friend though, so I suppose if it were a complete stranger it'd be easier to just part with the piece to be rid of it. I'm not saying all of Kelly's stuff is no good, and in fact the grind quality when it works is actually quite nice, but it's not very reliable. Meh, you get what you pay for...his CNC'd stuff really does look quite nice though.

As for the smaller grinder...well, I've barely used it. I don't find that it really does anything, the grinder capacity is too small to be conveniently used as a first step grinder (at least for the amount of herb I chop), and after running it through the other Kelly's grinder the particle size is just too similar; for the most part the herbs just fall through the holes before I can chop 'em again.
~~~~~

Anyhow, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but from everything I've read here, it seems that a smaller grind size is optimal for vaping. I'm specifically looking for a grinder that's going to be a good match for the PD, although this should be true for any vape (apart from the Herbalaire of course!).

At the other end of the spectrum, it seems to be a good idea to separate out not just the kif, but any small particles that are likely to get sucked through the vapouriser's screen. As such, I would prefer the screen in the grinder to be as large as possible (and possibly using vtac's coin idea as well). I don't really care if I don't get pure kif; it's more about controlling the particle size of what I'm putting in the vape. So when loading a bowl, I can put the coarser material in first, then pack the fine stuff on top, which will then hopefully not get pulled through.

hazy,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Anyhow, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but from everything I've read here, it seems that a smaller grind size is optimal for vaping. I'm specifically looking for a grinder that's going to be a good match for the PD, although this should be true for any vape (apart from the Herbalaire of course!).
In general more surface area exposed to the hot air means more vapor produced. The grind consistency from pretty much any grinder is fine for most vapes. The PD has a much smaller bowl than most vapes, so a finer, more uniform consistency fills the bowl more evenly.

At the other end of the spectrum, it seems to be a good idea to separate out not just the kif, but any small particles that are likely to get sucked through the vapouriser's screen.
Depends on the screen in your bowl really. With standard size screens this hasn't been an issue for me. The PD's screen is finer than average so unless you're putting pure kif in first it's not a problem, ime.

Tom said:
The screen is: 50 Mesh T316 Stainless .009" wire. Lets see, 50 wires times .009= .45" so we get .55" of void divided by 50 holes = .011" diameter holes???

vtac,

bongoman

Anyone else not sold on the idea of removing trichomes from your buds?

I can understand specifically setting out to make a batch of kif/hashish from buds as an end in itself, but I don't really get why you would want to remove just some of the trichomes from a batch of weed and thereby diminish it's quality just to have some kif for later. It's a zero sum game.

I understand that trichomes fall off anyway in the act of grinding and preparing weed, but they are never lost (unless you are careless) they simply become part of the prepared stash anyway.

As someone who grows small amounts for personal use, I'd love to have enough to sift or bubble-bag a portion of my harvest.

Admittedly, I have a MnB Classic screen on the way, just to satisfy my curiosity, but maybe I'm better off setting aside some herb to specifically sift and getting a dedicated sifter box.

I notice that Sharpstone do a sifter box which looks nice but is pricey, but still a lot cheaper than the Bubble Box.

There's also Tom and Pammy's sifter jars as well which are probably the most cost effective method of sifting.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the world of kif production and grinding.

bongoman,
Top Bottom