Herb Grinders

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I just received my 4-piece Killer grinder from EDIT, probably won't use it and do not recommend.

This is the one I got:

killer_grinder_f.jpg

The paint was chipped in so many places I won't even bother to count them, & when I press on it a little while twisting the lid just 3 or 4 times I can already see wear marks in the paint on the side where the teethed lid falls over the part with the teeth & holes in them. They also did a poor job drilling the holes, leaving little painted metal splinters in them which would end up in your bud when using it. Very disappointed, since this is my first 4 piece. Shouldn't have cheeped out and gotten a space case right away I guess, lesson learned.

OhTheAgony,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Send it back to EDIT if you're not happy OTA. They're really good about returns. If it's defective then they'll refund the shipping both ways, but if you've just changed your mind then return shipping is on you although they should refund outward shipping and are not allowed to try and charge any restocking fee. (UK 'Distance Selling Regualtions'- you have 7 days after receipt of the item to let them know you want to do this return process).

I really don't think you need to go all the way up to a space case. You're paying a lot for the brand. Fine if you want to, but IMO you can do the same job just as well for much less without buying rubbish. Check the Head Chef range that EDIT do- I think there's a 4 piece in there. I've only used the tiny one, but I rate it well enough and would happily try their others.

To get the job done I even rate those plastic/acrylic 4 piece's quite highly- more effective teeth than many metal grinders. They're super functional, but not very desirable for many folk for whatever other reasons.

WatTyler,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Thanks for the info Wat!

I wasn't going to bother asking for a refund because of the relatively low cost price vs the shipping costs, but in that case I'll write them an email asap. I've noticed they have a few more reasonably priced non-painted metal 4 piece grinders I can choose from instead of this one if they let me swap it and discount me the return shipping costs. I'm one of those who doesn't like the plastic ones neither, I've owned a couple of them but they were never sharp enough and/or would loose their teeth easily.

OhTheAgony,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
Another tip- when I've emailed them in the past it's always seemed to take 48hrs for a reply, even if it's part of a 'conversation'- like they check the email every other day, or are a day behind in their inbox. I don't know if this is anyone else's experience too? Anyway, last time I wanted to make a return their email was temporarily down, and so I submitted a customer service request and got a ticket through their website- this way I actually got a reply the same day. Not sure if it's just a fluke or if they genuinely are quicker to respond this way, but this was my experience......

WatTyler,

SirTokesAlot

The Dank Knight
OhTheAgony said:
I just received my 4-piece Killer grinder from EDIT, probably won't use it and do not recommend.

This is the one I got:

http://www.everyonedoesit.com/img/products/killer_grinder_f.jpg

The paint was chipped in so many places I won't even bother to count them, & when I press on it a little while twisting the lid just 3 or 4 times I can already see wear marks in the paint on the side where the teethed lid falls over the part with the teeth & holes in them. They also did a poor job drilling the holes, leaving little painted metal splinters in them which would end up in your bud when using it. Very disappointed, since this is my first 4 piece. Shouldn't have cheeped out and gotten a space case right away I guess, lesson learned.

Ahh that stinks. :/ When buying a grinder, I tend to stay away from ones that are painted with anything.
I highly recommend the mendo mulcher, it's GREAT for vaporizers seeing as it grinds everything incredibly finely. Highly recommend their two piece.

SirTokesAlot,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, I know better then to order painted grinders from now on. What was I thinking in hindsight?

EDIT has been more then decent in clearing it up though. After I emailed them some photo's of the chipped grinder they've send me a more expensive model I picked out to replace it at no extra costs. I don't even have to send the other one back to them. Thanks again for the tip Wat! I would have eaten my lost without further action if it wasn't for your post.

It usually takes them about 18 to 36 hours to answer my emails btw (I had to email pictures so this wasn't going through their regular online service form). When using their regular system I usually get a reply within 24 to 48 hours.

I would like a Mundo but they don't sell that one. The larger unpainted Head Chef models were out of stock as well so I picked their largest SX4 4 piece grinder. Hope I made a safe choice.

OhTheAgony,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Well, a gunmetal SX4-560 arrived even though it says 'silver' on the paperwork that came with it.

info&picture

I was a little bummed out at first since I specifically asked for a silver one to prevent problems with coloring like before, but after a beter look and a test scratching with the old SSV pick (I use that for so many things now, it became one of my favorite tools) it seemed ok and I decided to clean it and give it a go.

I like it. At 56mm wide this is my largest grinder so far and I like having a little bit more capacity and something to hold on to. Finish is nice, teeth are sharp, coating seems durable as far as I can tell so far, the action is smooth and the pollen screen seems of just the right size to let just the good stuff through.

I did notice that the two rows of teeth are a little further apart then in my 50mm wide two piece, which unfortunately seems to result in a more courser grind. Even when holding the 4 piece upside down when grinding I can't get it as fine as with my two piece. Does anyone know of a larger 4 piece or two piece with more rows of teeth perhaps? I basically still use my two piece now and just use the 4 piece as a storage/sifter thing.

Therefor I'm also very interested in this little gadget: click me

Does anyone know of ones like it that are already for sale?

edit: These Chromium Crushers seem to have 3 rows of teeth instead of two but they are about the same wide as my 2 piece: ebay link

I think that would provide a to fine a grind for my use but perhaps others are looking for just that. Does anyone happen to know if they come in a larger size?

I also found the Wicca Round Sifter Box, does anyone know what size it is and what would be the best place to buy it from (preferably EU located)?

click me

OhTheAgony,

Zular

Hey everyone, I've been looking for a new grinder, I own a pipe and an MFLB and I smoke a lot socially, so I'm looking for an all-round 4-piece grinder. I've already bought a Chromium Crusher from ebay but it turned out to be fake and I don't know what I'll do with it, either return it or sell it.
What 4 piece grinders do you recommend? I'm looking for 2"-2.5" size.

Zular,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I love my Mendo Mulchers, but they are not designed for a super fine grind. They do make quick work of grinding, though and the medium grind works fine for my needs. If you are going to be using it for an LB, then I would recommend the Space Case 2-pc. 4-pc grinders can't get the fine grind that some people really require.

:2c:

Stu,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
if you're using it for the MFLB i would just save the money and keep the old grinder you have. if you take two or three hits out of a trench and dump it into the mini-grinder that came in the package, you can get a really fine grind. i didn't start doing this til two months ago and have been doing it every time since.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

max

Out to lunch
I've already bought a Chromium Crusher from ebay but it turned out to be fake
Why do you think it's fake? This brand, along with Sharp Crusher, Sharpstone, and some lesser known names, are all made at the same factory, on the same machines. The prices are so low that I doubt anyone would try to copy and sell at a lower price. These brands also appear with both aluminum and alloy metals. It gets confusing, but I've never heard of any true fakes, so I'm skeptical. You see 'copies' of high priced items, not cheap ones.

Stu said:
I love my Mendo Mulchers, but they are not designed for a super fine grind.
You got that right. The Mendo design is for slicing through bud. Once that's done, the teeth just glide through the original cut like it's empty. It's probably the worst name brand to select for a fine grind.

max,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
I've found if you just take the keif catch off a 4 piece grinder and insert the bud in the top chamber and grind it upside down, you can get your herb ground up so fine its coming close to keif like. Really don't see any benefit in a two-chamber grinder unless you are one of the people who doesn't want to collect kief. (or money is an object).

Turn it upside down again back on the kief catch and screw everything together and turn it/shake it a couple extra times to get everything to fall down.

This is how i've been grinding my buds for years for vaporizing or smoking. I'll grind it the normal right side up way with the kief catch on the bottom if I want it more coarse for a blunt or bowl or something. But my normal vaporizing routine I always use an upside down 4 piece to grind it into dust :D

My Sharpstone 4 piece fits all my needs!

MarcellusWiley,

Zular

max said:
Why do you think it's fake? This brand, along with Sharp Crusher, Sharpstone, and some lesser known names, are all made at the same factory, on the same machines. The prices are so low that I doubt anyone would try to copy and sell at a lower price. These brands also appear with both aluminum and alloy metals. It gets confusing, but I've never heard of any true fakes, so I'm skeptical. You see 'copies' of high priced items, not cheap ones.
First of all, it looks different from all the pictures I've seen on the net, it has larger holes on the outside, weak ass magnets which can't hold the lid on properly, poor machining in the holes the bud falls through, it's chipped and scratched in numerous places and the lettering on the top is whiter than it's supposed to be. The image on ebay is also not of the same grinder.
I wouldn't care if the lid could actually stay on, the magnet can't hold it's weight so it falls off with a slight touch.

Zular,

Longbones

Hey all, just joined the forums and had a couple questions about grinders. Probably going to be spending a lot of time here as I'm switching to vaporizing exclusively (with the possible exception of social smoking, although I'd like to keep this to a minimum as well).

My main question is: does the MFLB OEM grinder (the small 2 piece that fits the MFLB perfectly) or the Mixnball nano give a better (finer) grind for the MFLB? Anyone have some experience with both?

Thanks all.

Longbones,

SmokingElectricity

chromium crushers and mendo mulchers have the most teeth. Mendo's supposed to have bigger holes though. i use a 2" chromium as my main. they are nice grinders as long as you don't abuse them. i make sure to brush out the threads and teeth after every use. since i started doing this it never gets gunked up, ever. which means less iso soaks.

as for the "fake" chromium's, recently i noticed they changed the name to SMART Crusher's on amazon & merchants. sharp, chromium, titanium, and now smart crushers. all made i guess by the same company or in the same factory.

snack.png

2" chromium. still looks brand new. i put mad bud through this thing.

SmokingElectricity,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Longbones said:
Hey all, just joined the forums and had a couple questions about grinders. Probably going to be spending a lot of time here as I'm switching to vaporizing exclusively (with the possible exception of social smoking, although I'd like to keep this to a minimum as well).

My main question is: does the MFLB OEM grinder (the small 2 piece that fits the MFLB perfectly) or the Mixnball nano give a better (finer) grind for the MFLB? Anyone have some experience with both?

Thanks all.
I have both.
The OEM MFLB grinder is a finer grind without ant doubt.
You can manipulate the mixn'ball to get a fine grind, but the OEM will do the job easily.

Vitolo,

Longbones

Vitolo said:
I have both.
The OEM MFLB grinder is a finer grind without ant doubt.
You can manipulate the mixn'ball to get a fine grind, but the OEM will do the job easily.

Ah great, thanks for the input. In that case I suppose I'll go for the OEM. However, it seems like it would be burdensome to use as an initial grind, especially if I'm going to be inverting it over the MFLB trench every time. Do you have trouble busting through nugs with the OEM grinder?

With your (very helpful) info, I'm now considering getting the OEM as well as a 4pc, so I can pregrind and transfer to the OEM. Also would get kief collection this wayif fineness of grind was going to be an issue I'd get a 2pc, but I think transfer to the OEM would be easier with a collection area. I tend to be clumsy. Also, quality 4 piece (no reports of metal flakes, etc.) would be best for the price? Space case is overpricedcosmic case, kannastor, mendo mulcher are all good as well, I think...

Does this sound good, or would people here still recommend a larger 2pc instead to accompany the OEM? Thanks again!

Longbones,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
i would definitely recommend either a larger 2pc or 4pc grinder to accompany the OEM. yes the OEM is able to get the fine grind you want for the MFLB but it is just too small to be your only grinder. i have a 4pc grinder that i will use for a pregrind, then pack the trench for 1-2 hits before transferring to the OEM to get the finest grind possible. IME the OEM tends to clog easily from sticky herb which is another reason my 4pc in handy, kief collection.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

Vitolo

Vaporist
HighlyEducatedScholar said:
i would definitely recommend either a larger 2pc or 4pc grinder to accompany the OEM. yes the OEM is able to get the fine ....
Agreed.
I pregrind... then I take ground material.. and level it out into the OEM.... for a thorough second grind.
The OEM works best with ground matter!

Vitolo,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Hi Guys n Gals,

I have been using a generic 4 piece 50mm CNC aluminium grinder for the past few years. Previous to that it was a plastic shark tooth grinder. After reading this thread I thought it was time to do some investigating on my own into the wonderful world of grinders to enhance my vaping experience.

Over the next few weeks expect a few grinder reviews from me as I work my way through a bunch.
Today I am reviewing a few Head Chef grinders after the good reports on the mini by a few FCers.

One thing my reviews wont cover is durability, though I have had a hunt around and haven't found many negative results.

Head Chef 2 Part Mini 30mm Review:
First off, I wasnt quite prepared for how teeny this unit is. It is well made, CNCd from a single piece (or so it seems), and the magnet is decently strong. The anodized finish covers completely and seems sturdy. Although it is very small it has a hatched edge on the sides for grip which helps a lot. My previous grinder didnt have the oring, this does and I like the smoothness it adds to the grinding.
For such a tiny piece it has a lot of teeth, 14 on the top and 10 on the bottom. Loaded herb has to be broken down in to quite small chunks to fit. The finished grind is very fine and works excellently in my MFLB, but was a little too fine for Extreme Q elbow packs as it restricted air flow.
Overall I really like this unit. It is sturdy, gets a very fine grind and is great for portability as it fits with all the other bits in my MFLB tin.

Head Chef 4 Part Mini 30mm Review:
The same sized diameter as the one above (see tiny remark above). Again, this ones teeth sections are CNCd from one piece with the same number of teeth, has a good magnet, has an oring and has a good anodized finish. The extra sections are well constructed, with the herb catching chamber managing angled sides for minimal build-up. The mesh is relatively large, though that is to my taste.
The drilled holes are just 1mm diameter, so they only allow fine herb matter through. I found that the holes tend to clog quite easily and that a poker was necessary to free all the ground herbs from the holes. The final grind was just fractionally larger than with the 2 piece (barely noticeable), though the kief collection was surprising for such a small grinder (probably due to the larger screen size than Im used to). This piece is threaded so that you can make it a 3 piece if you wanted.
Overall I really like this piece. Its well made, slightly easier to grind with than the 2 piece, mainly due to its extra height allowing extra grip, and the grind works just as well in my MFLB as the 2 piece.

Head Chef 2 Part Large 55mm Review:
This has a nice weight and feel to it. Like the other Head Chef grinders it uses an oring and has diamond teeth. Amazingly it only has 2 more teeth than the 30mm, with 14 on the top and 12 on the bottom. The magnet is very good and the finish seems tough. With all of these 3 grinders I have tried a scratch test by seeing if it leaves a visible mark when scratching quite hard with a finger nail and lightly with metal. In all 3 instances no visible marks were left.
This unit is a pleasure to grind with. The large surface area and the edged hatching make it very easy. The teeth do a great job at chopping through the herb with minimal resistance. Due to the teeth being quite far apart it is very easy to load with large chunks. The final grind was much better than my old 4 part, perfect for use with my Extreme Q and Vapocane, though a bit big for my MFLB.
Overall I think this is a great unit. It is super easy to handle, gives a good grind and the anodized coating really reduces kief clinging.

So, out of the 3 posted above I can see regular use for the large 2 part but am still torn between which of the minis I prefer prob the 4 piece for extra grip. Well, for now they have all made it into my collection till better units usurp them.

Next I will be reviewing the larger 4 part Head Chef grinders with not so favourable results!

J.R.R.Tokin',

Longbones

So I've decided to get either a space case small or medium 4pc grinder. I'll probably get the anodized black version for the non-stick properties and slight boost to hardness, although I have heard that it scratches off. Any reason not to do this?

My main question is, how easy is the small space case to turn vs the medium? I have pretty big mitts but I don't see the point in spending extra $ on a larger grinder when I don't grind up a whole lot of bud at a time (a smaller grinder is also easier to store), unless a larger grinder is easier to handle.

Longbones,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Larger is easier. I started with the medium and now have the large 2 and 4 pc. The titanium finish works great. I keep the 2 pc in the freezer and use it ice cold. You won't believe the difference. Noting sticks to mine. The 4 piece I keep in the fridge. Serves many purposes for it to be there.

t-dub,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
great idea there t-dub with the fridge and freezer, never woulda thought of that. seems like you'd end up with a really cold grinder from the freezer to handle but i think im going to give this a try anyways ;)

HighlyEducatedScholar,
Top Bottom