Herb Grinders

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to give it a really deep clean without using 100 q tips and without little papercuts all over my fingers.

https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/old-mate-formerly-medgrind.53307/post-1757971

Zero q-tips or fingers were hurt during this procedure....
I do use a little hard brush (and a toothbrush) to scrub between the teeth before the last ISO bath but no qtips or fingers..

I leave the (ceramic) bearing in there whilst cleaning (but i did change the original bearing without the tool without any issues) but If you are reluctant to remove it without the tool then you could leave it in and clean the top part seperate and make sure the water/iso-line stays lower than the bearing.
Personally i would just remove the bearing (there's how to video's in the thread) prior to cleaning to make it easier.

gheebee

On 4/20 Vinegar Syndrome (cult film restoration label, among other things...) was selling some branded 4 piece grinders so I grabbed one. Initially it was just for the novelty since it was cheap and for 4/20 but I like it quite a bit and am glad I got it. It's a lot better than the other cheap grinder I got but never use and for the most part has switched me over from using scissors. A cool, decent quality item combining two of my favorite things (cannabis and movies...) from one of the best labels out there. :]

vinegarsyndromegrinder6-2400x.png

gheebee,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
How is the BCG to clean? Like, to really, really deep clean every couple of weeks?

99.9% of the time I know the OMD is the best grinder in the world. I don't even need to use anything else, there couldn't be anything better.

The other 0.1% of the time is when I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to give it a really deep clean without using 100 q tips and without little papercuts all over my fingers.

Is the BCG better in that regard?

It's better in that you don't need to worry about the bearing, the cleaning depends how dirty, a little soak, a little scrub, usually quick and easy... I've only cleaned mine, after like 3 or 4 years haha (have not cleaned my OMD yet, I would love to swap the bearing to ceramic peek whatever so I wouldn't need to worry about removing it or being careful with the alcohol someday since it is a deterrent for me) Honestly doing a really deep clean of these every couple weeks sounds totally unnecessary and annoying to me personally, what is so great about BCG and OMD is how well they work despite being a little dirty, they don't jam up on you and still grind well

Last edited:

The_M

Ho
https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/old-mate-formerly-medgrind.53307/post-1757971

Zero q-tips or fingers were hurt during this procedure....
I do use a little hard brush (and a toothbrush) to scrub between the teeth before the last ISO bath but no qtips or fingers..

I leave the (ceramic) bearing in there whilst cleaning (but i did change the original bearing without the tool without any issues) but If you are reluctant to remove it without the tool then you could leave it in and clean the top part seperate and make sure the water/iso-line stays lower than the bearing.
Personally i would just remove the bearing (there's how to video's in the thread) prior to cleaning to make it easier.
Where did u get ceramic bearings?
And which size?

The_M,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Madtater

It's better in that you don't need to worry about the bearing, the cleaning depends how dirty, a little soak, a little scrub, usually quick and easy... I've only cleaned mine, after like 3 or 4 years haha Honestly doing a really deep clean every couple weeks sounds totally unnecessary and annoying to me personally, what is so great about BCG and OMD is how well they work despite being a little dirty, they don't jam up on you and still grind well
So i am gonna put you on the spot right here😈.

If you had to choose between the OMD or the BCG, and you could only keep one, which one would you choose?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
So i am gonna put you on the spot right here😈.

If you had to choose between the OMD or the BCG, and you could only keep one, which one would you choose?

:argh::lol::evil: for sure!

Though I'm honestly not so sure, I used to always say BCG before as I appreciated how it was just a traditional grinder (only perfected imo without any threading and with the side teeth in the lid) that would allow more control, not just the choice of plate sizes (witch entail different holes and or teeth) and also the regular or large size options, but how well they work continuously upside down (depending how much I grind upside down, this allows me further control, to get it more fine or consistent, regardless of the plate, though it does change depending on the plate a bit as well) another thing I've always loved about BCG is how pretty the colors are for the anodized aluminum, in that gem cut pattern, part of what led me to collect so many... Also the aluminum is very high grade quality, yet still lightweight even if it's not perfect invincible durability, and they are quite portable if you need to take them somewhere, the regular size of course, but even the large is not bad for mobility I'd say...

I have still not gotten to try stainless steel for the BCG at all, when I bought so many of the aluminum has to factory seconds became first available, customer service chatting with them on instagram, I was promised that they would be sending me one for free at some point once they were ready (at this time they were testing an SS version that would be sized in between the regular and large sizes, also that it might feature a colored aluminum shell for the outside so seemed like that is what I would get eventually perhaps in sapphire) however I had been wondering if I should reach out about these once they launched and have gotten through pre-order fulfillment... Then seeing that they would be discontinuing the polished version, the one that I was much more interested in, finally decided to reach out and follow up asking about their promise... It's been ten days without a response after they saw it, I followed up again so we'll see, just asking if the offer was still on the table and what exactly it was for, did not want to miss my chance potentially to get polished steel BCG (although I would be happy to wait if the other version I described might become a reality someday)

Old Mate is my only stainless steel grinder now (I had United Machining UMG2.0 that I absolutely hated for a variety of reasons well documented here lol and the premium flower mill that is different with its own baggage and no longer ever used) and I am extremely satisfied with it... The size is a nice balance, however it is extremely heavy, and not sleek at all really, so it is less mobile whereas BCG could be considered more of a portable grinder potentially... Of course that is to be expected, and it is really effective, so easy to grind, with the bearing it can almost become automatic (depending on how much it is loaded and how dense sticky the herb is of course it might take some effort to get going at first though the grips certainly help) with such sharp teeth as well, and a great pattern, they are really well designed imo as is the entire grinder truly... However grinding upside down is not an option, theoretically possible but not going to work well in my experience so I do not do it, there is also no other grinder plate option, so the grind depends on how I load it with what, it will vary from coarse to medium to fine depending on the variables of the bud and the load, so that is quite a different experience and might not be so ideal, although the grinding is so nice, quick and easy, that I am willing to compromise and give up some of my control over the grind itself (but yeah I do have some control in how I load it with what as I described so not too bad)

I've had plans to get a second OMD eventually, mine is one of the earlier ones, so it does not have some features and changes that are in the latest models... Thinking I would have him customize plate holes to be slightly smaller for a more fine grind without needing to load fully as much, perhaps a custom engraving on the top since mine now is plain (only a simple old mate logo on the bottom) and finally get the bearing tool, along with the nicer ceramic peek whatever bearing that does not need to be removed for full soak cleaning and spins even better etc. even though it would probably be white instead of bringing the little pop of blue color that I enjoy with my OMD now lol

I hope this helps almost answer your question haha as I have such difficulty deciding between them ultimately since they are not quite able to apples... Perhaps if I had to choose just one grinder, of all that I have currently, I might stick with my large BCG with medium plate (even though I have not used it in quite a while) cover me completely... However I feel so torn, because there is so much I like about the OMD in such big ways, possibly a polished SS large BCG with medium plate could be my ultimate perhaps, so I will have to report back if I ever get the chance to try one! :tup:

Madtater

:argh::lol::evil: for sure!

Though I'm honestly not so sure, I used to always say BCG before as I appreciated how it was just a traditional grinder (only perfected imo without any threading and with the side teeth in the lid) that would allow more control, not just the choice of plate sizes (witch entail different holes and or teeth) and also the regular or large size options, but how well they work continuously upside down (depending how much I grind upside down, this allows me further control, to get it more fine or consistent, regardless of the plate, though it does change depending on the plate a bit as well) another thing I've always loved about BCG is how pretty the colors are for the anodized aluminum, in that gem cut pattern, part of what led me to collect so many... Also the aluminum is very high grade quality, yet still lightweight even if it's not perfect invincible durability, and they are quite portable if you need to take them somewhere, the regular size of course, but even the large is not bad for mobility I'd say...

I have still not gotten to try stainless steel for the BCG at all, when I bought so many of the aluminum has to factory seconds became first available, customer service chatting with them on instagram, I was promised that they would be sending me one for free at some point once they were ready (at this time they were testing an SS version that would be sized in between the regular and large sizes, also that it might feature a colored aluminum shell for the outside so seemed like that is what I would get eventually perhaps in sapphire) however I had been wondering if I should reach out about these once they launched and have gotten through pre-order fulfillment... Then seeing that they would be discontinuing the polished version, the one that I was much more interested in, finally decided to reach out and follow up asking about their promise... It's been ten days without a response after they saw it, I followed up again so we'll see, just asking if the offer was still on the table and what exactly it was for, did not want to miss my chance potentially to get polished steel BCG (although I would be happy to wait if the other version I described might become a reality someday)

Old Mate is my only stainless steel grinder now (I had United Machining UMG2.0 that I absolutely hated for a variety of reasons well documented here lol and the premium flower mill that is different with its own baggage and no longer ever used) and I am extremely satisfied with it... The size is a nice balance, however it is extremely heavy, and not sleek at all really, so it is less mobile whereas BCG could be considered more of a portable grinder potentially... Of course that is to be expected, and it is really effective, so easy to grind, with the bearing it can almost become automatic (depending on how much it is loaded and how dense sticky the herb is of course it might take some effort to get going at first though the grips certainly help) with such sharp teeth as well, and a great pattern, they are really well designed imo as is the entire grinder truly... However grinding upside down is not an option, theoretically possible but not going to work well in my experience so I do not do it, there is also no other grinder plate option, so the grind depends on how I load it with what, it will vary from coarse to medium to fine depending on the variables of the bud and the load, so that is quite a different experience and might not be so ideal, although the grinding is so nice, quick and easy, that I am willing to compromise and give up some of my control over the grind itself (but yeah I do have some control in how I load it with what as I described so not too bad)

I've had plans to get a second OMD eventually, mine is one of the earlier ones, so it does not have some features and changes that are in the latest models... Thinking I would have him customize plate holes to be slightly smaller for a more fine grind without needing to load fully as much, perhaps a custom engraving on the top since mine now is plain (only a simple old mate logo on the bottom) and finally get the bearing tool, along with the nicer ceramic peek whatever bearing that does not need to be removed for full soak cleaning and spins even better etc. even though it would probably be white instead of bringing the little pop of blue color that I enjoy with my OMD now lol

I hope this helps almost answer your question haha as I have such difficulty deciding between them ultimately since they are not quite able to apples... Perhaps if I had to choose just one grinder, of all that I have currently, I might stick with my large BCG with medium plate (even though I have not used it in quite a while) cover me completely... However I feel so torn, because there is so much I like about the OMD in such big ways, possibly a polished SS large BCG with medium plate could be my ultimate perhaps, so I will have to report back if I ever get the chance to try one! :tup:
Great explanation.

I cant even imagine having to choose between the top two grinders on the market.

Just wanted to see ya sweat a bit😂

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
And which size?
It's the standard size used in skateboard wheels, just checked the order and that says:

"608 full ceramic ZrO2 bearing 8mmx22mmx7mm"

Where did u get ceramic bearings?

I got them thru a local site but they came in straight from china, if you can't find them anywhere i can send you the info where mine came from but the vendor will depend on your location i guess?

Top Bottom