Healthy Rips FURY EDGE

D4Dank

I think the Edge is a great device with one exception. After using the Mighty and the Splinter I find the draw restriction of the Edge unacceptable. I use the device with a dosing capsule with the lid (of the dosing capsule) removed. Maybe there is another way, but I feel it's just the nature of the device.
Oooh very interesting. Def going to try the capsule without the lid

C No Ego

Oz - we are in agreement.
Jill - I do not tamp.

I was trying to keep the bowl pristine. Now I will try without the dosing capsule. I must say, using the dosing capsule in the Mighty has no, or negligible, effect on draw resistance.

check the little intake holes @ bottom of unit where the fresh air enters ... @ one point I had completely clogged them and the vape stopped working ... took a while but then figured out wha happen and I cleared them out with a needle point ... when clean this vape will whistle there is so much free air there... I only use the Fury2 WPA glass in all my fury vapes , never have tried dose capsules or even the standard mouthpiece so far

Grandpus

Thanks for all the comments here, I now have had my Edge for several days. I think it could easily be someone's one and only. Feels great in the hand. Easy controls. Nice size bowl. Most importantly, good clean tasty rips at low temps (360-370) that keep going until the weed is just about spent, with no special mouth pieces required. You can boost the temp to finish it off, but all you'll get is one, maybe two more not so good hits that are on the warm side. And the abv will be uniformly extracted with no fucking around. Joyously, and unusual for me (Starry and MV1), this thing keeps blowing clouds, all the way through the session.

Well done HR.

GetLeft

Antother new Edge fan checking in! My F2 has been holding it's valued spot in my rotation but the Edge brings more to the table with almost unnoticeable increase in size so I'm thinking it will slip pretty quickly in to the F2 spot. As a matter of fact it alrady has. The F2 will find a new niche for itself, I'm sure. There are plenty around.

I picked up the bubbler attachment with the idea of using it dry for the purpose of adding some diffusion to the vapor and while I can't compare it with the standard mp or the glass stem yet (haven't used either yet), the bubbler certainly does what I hoped it would do. Cheers HR!

Grandpus

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the Edge has got to be about the easiest vape to use. Easy to load. Just dump your herb in loose, no tamping, no fiddling. Snap on the mouthpiece, three taps on the power button, wait 30 seconds, and go. No stirring, no turning, no concern, just use it. No temp stepping or adjustments required. Then when your done, with the smooth stainless chamber and no packing, just turn it over and the spent herb literally just falls out. If anything is stuck on the mouthpiece screen, you can just flick it or blow it off. Deep cleaning looks like it will likewise be easy. Iso and qtips for the mouthpiece, whether og or glass, maybe give the chamber a swirl for the hell of it, and that's it. No soaking, poking, whatever.

So, not only does it function joyously, it is a no fuss vape to use.

OF

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the Edge has got to be about the easiest vape to use.

So, not only does it function joyously, it is a no fuss vape to use.

Excellent points, although almost all of them also fit it's smaller, even simpler sister F2. While we like (and can make good use of) longer battery life, extra stem options, vibration notices, screen inversions and so on not all can?

@Vitolo has long been helping with (generally older) first time users with SERIOUS medical issues referred to him. While in the past this involved a lot of face to face support, lately it's been largely a skype effort. His preferred vape for this good work is the F2 (although I suspect Edge would do nicely in a pinch? The very 'simple to use' function is very important here. The ability to hand them the vape, give some simple instructions/demonstration, and have his 'customer' be able to use such a simple, reliable tool to get the needed vapor without issues. We, of course, are well served by either.

Fun guy, our Vitolo. "Sage of the High Desert". IMO our best expert on the topic. Amazing work he does, makes a guy proud just to know it's happening:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/paying-it-forward-a-new-direction.13802/

Regards to all.

OF

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My question today is about smell of Edge (or ,okay @OF the F2?) compared to something else. I have a Pax2 that wreaks unless it has end caps on it and it's not in use. The Grasshopper doesn't emit huge smell, very little in my experience. Mighty/Crafty falls in between those two. And Milaana/Splinter seem also in the middle of the range, marginally better than Mighty.
Can anyone compare Edge to one of these in odor category?
I can often vape-at-will, so to speak, but even in this advanced age, there are still some times when I need higher degree of discretion.
Edge fits into stealth category with size, pocket-ability, relatively short heat up time, but I'm looking for a vape that doesn't smell the room up a lot, like if you were to pocket it right after outdoor use and then go inside.

and yes, we love @Vitolo, too!

GoldenBud

@vapviking no smell of any kind of plastic/silicone at all from the F2.
On paper (!) Milaana/GH should taste better because it's 100% convection where the F2/Edge is like 20% convection or less.
Edge is a better option imo than Mighty, because its price. I didn't feel a difference in taste.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@vapviking no smell of any kind of plastic/silicone at all from the F2.
On paper (!) Milaana/GH should taste better because it's 100% convection where the F2/Edge is like 20% convection or less.
Edge is a better option imo than Mighty, because its price. I didn't feel a difference in taste.
Thanks, but I guess I should clarify one or two things.
I'm not asking about inherent "plastic" or "metallic" taste from the device, nor about the taste of any aspect. I am talking about smell of cannabis or simmering abv, things like those that stem from the use of bud in the vape.
For example, if I leave use a Pax outdoors, empty it, then go inside and set it on a table, the whole room will begin to smell from the residuals in the Pax. Or a Mighty simply warming up may bring some odor into the room. I find Grasshopper pretty benign in this respect.

I already have all of the comparison vapes I mentioned; Edge or F2 purchase would not necessarily be replacing one of those, just adding to my options. I do loves me some variety in vapes and bud.

OF

Put the included cover on it and relax

Spot on. The covers for both Edge and F2 have 'plugs' molded into them that blocks the MP hole (not to mention the body sealing against the vape. Corks it up good and proper. Yes, the input end is still open, but any stinky stuff is far up the path, on the other side of the heater, and with the blocked end there's no flow (exchange) of air to convey the smell out.

Of all the vapes I own, this one might be the most 'smell proof' by design. And, of course, there's several options on smell proof cases that are 100%.

I seriously doubt you won't like it, very very few if any do?

OF

C No Ego

Thanks, but I guess I should clarify one or two things.
I'm not asking about inherent "plastic" or "metallic" taste from the device, nor about the taste of any aspect. I am talking about smell of cannabis or simmering abv, things like those that stem from the use of bud in the vape.
For example, if I leave use a Pax outdoors, empty it, then go inside and set it on a table, the whole room will begin to smell from the residuals in the Pax. Or a Mighty simply warming up may bring some odor into the room. I find Grasshopper pretty benign in this respect.

I already have all of the comparison vapes I mentioned; Edge or F2 purchase would not necessarily be replacing one of those, just adding to my options. I do loves me some variety in vapes and bud.
there is some conduction going on with this vape but not as much as pax ETC.... when I start a session with the Fury vapes while it sits there warming up I get small hints of smell but not a whole lot ... some minor conduction going on

OF

there is some conduction going on with this vape but not as much as pax ETC.... when I start a session with the Fury vapes while it sits there warming up I get small hints of smell but not a whole lot ... some minor conduction going on

I don't know PAX, but for sure this guy is conduction. All the heat entering the load to make vapor comes through the walls by conduction. Incoming air is not heated enough to contribute here, it too will need to take on more heat by conduction from the hot load before it leaves. Not that that has anything to do with smell (largely a function of design?). Conduction and convection as operating modes have nothing to do with it really. Nor does radiation (rare as it is in vapes) for that matter.

The very last bit is off base. ".. some minor conduction going on" should read ".. some minor convection going on". Even though this is a conduction vape, the heating of the load and surrounding areas on warm up causes smells to be generated and the heated air (complete with smells) naturally rises by convection out of the vape for us to smell. Ironically, here convection is making the problem?

Bottom line is real experience with this vape and F2 says smell is not an outstanding issue?

OF

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Thanks to all for increasing my VAS exponentially.
I don't know PAX, but for sure this guy is conduction. All the heat entering the load to make vapor comes through the walls by conduction. Incoming air is not heated enough to contribute here, it too will need to take on more heat by conduction from the hot load before it leaves. Not that that has anything to do with smell (largely a function of design?). Conduction and convection as operating modes have nothing to do with it really. Nor does radiation (rare as it is in vapes) for that matter.

The very last bit is off base. ".. some minor conduction going on" should read ".. some minor convection going on". Even though this is a conduction vape, the heating of the load and surrounding areas on warm up causes smells to be generated and the heated air (complete with smells) naturally rises by convection out of the vape for us to smell. Ironically, here convection is making the problem?

Bottom line is real experience with this vape and F2 says smell is not an outstanding issue?

OF
My impression from his use of "minor convection going on," was a reference to the unit not yet up to temp, still warming up, so any output (whether conduction or convection, and this sounds like a combination of both) might be described as minor.

I do appreciate the responses to my smell question!

The only times I've used an F2 have been with my friend some distance from me now, I originally recommended it to him even though I'd never used one! and at the time I gifted him a glass stem, so that's what I've tried. That stem goes into the bowl in similar fashion to a lot of convection vapes, and when you draw it is pulling air from the very bottom of the chamber, up from the airpath, so the impression during use is very much like a regulated "convection" type vape. But I'm learning that it must be largely the glass being heated by the sides of the oven? and so, better to have the stem in place during warmup, I suppose. Sorry to muse on...

C No Ego

OF

closing off the holes in the bottom of unit would prevent the smells that come out as it heats and remains heated just sitting there ... that contributes to any smells while unit sits heated and ready to inhale ETC.... the heat in the herb chamber where the herb sits ETC...

GetLeft

That stem goes into the bowl in similar fashion to a lot of convection vapes,

I might be wrong but none of the Fury Edge attachments fit directly into the chamber but rather into the adapter that receives the attachments. The material being vaporized always goes into the chamber.

I don't have any F2 attachments but understand from reading that an attachment or two fit directly into the chamber. Like you say, this doesn't make it a convection vaporizer. It would seem to be comparable to the Arizer Airs (and Solos, I'd guess) in this regard, which have the bowl built into the glass stem which then fits into the chamber. Conduction in both the F2 and the Arizer vapes. I'm thrilled with HR in every way except their marketing of these vapes as 'convection.' But what ever, if it gets them more sales more power to them; they should sell as many of these things as possible. Make the world a better place.

Just as a side comment, while the F2 is less expensive than the Edge, I see the Edge as having properties that woud suit medical patients better than the F2: the haptic alerts, the easier to push buttons and the speed to temp. My Edge suprised me with its quick heat up time. The draw appears to be less restricted also.

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I might be wrong but none of the Fury Edge attachments fit directly into the chamber but rather into the adapter that receives the attachments. The material being vaporized always goes into the chamber.
Correct. All Edge attachments go into the adapter, not directly into the oven.
However, all of the F2 attachments can fit into the Edge oven, and do not use the adapter.

OF

Thanks to all for increasing my VAS exponentially.

That stem goes into the bowl in similar fashion to a lot of convection vapes, and when you draw it is pulling air from the very bottom of the chamber, up from the airpath, so the impression during use is very much like a regulated "convection" type vape. But I'm learning that it must be largely the glass being heated by the sides of the oven? and so, better to have the stem in place during warmup, I suppose. Sorry to muse on...

Yer welcome, that's my goal.....to help you find the best vape. And keep those dollars flowing to the good folks that make 'em for us?

The only 'regulated convection vape' I know of is ESV (now obsolete). It used a 'light pipe' to view the IR from the heater to keep it fairly constant as it had to change power to make up for the incoming air. In estimated units (since it didn't measure the load). Modern vapes, with digital controls where you select load/vaping temperatures in real degrees are all conduction. At leas I don't know of any excepti9ons, does anyone? Some friends and I experimented with the idea a few years back. Not an easy problem, there's a rub where you wouldn't expect it.....when you slack off on the draw. The heater tends to overshoot. Tough nut, that.

Yep, it conducts through the glass. Which slows the heat flow for sure. But, substituting metal like in Ed's excellent custom stems ironically calls for more heat since the metal conducts more of the heat upward out of the oven area. You need 15 or so degrees more heat in the cup?

A big clue is 'heat soaks'. Improved vapor after an idle period is a conduction thing. Convection has just the opposite effect. The load cools (no heat delivered with no airflow) and you have to 'start all over again' when you resume hitting. If the vape in your hand benefits from heat soaks, you're holding a conduction vape. And since there really is no such thing as a 'hybrid', no convection going on?

closing off the holes in the bottom of unit would prevent the smells that come out as it heats and remains heated just sitting there ... that contributes to any smells while unit sits heated and ready to inhale ETC.... the heat in the herb chamber where the herb sits ETC...

Excellent observation. Blocking the bottom 'corks it up' like when the vape is sitting on the table. If no air is allowed to enter, none can leave......

You could of course simply put your finger over the holes (something I do from time to time anyway) or stand it up on a surface like a rubber pad? Fun stuff. Thanks.

OF

OF

I consider the grasshopper a regulated convection vape. Right or wrong?

Thanks.

Don't know, could well be like is done with ESV but it doesn't allow you to 'dial up' specific temperature, right? Only control the power level in some relative units?

Regulation requires 'closing the loop', that is sensing the output (like say your car speed) and changing the power input (burning more or less gasoline) to hold that constant. The thermostat on my wall controls the room temperature, not the actual heat output of the heater? To close the loop on load temperature needs a sensor in the load, clearly not there?

My guess is vapor depends on draw rate?

If I was to guess, I'd guess it's more like Go. That is a 'duty cycle' controller makes the heater hotter or cooler in response to the setting. Not the load? Useful, but not the same.

Maybe.

OF

Grandpus

OF

I just ran an experiment. I cut a strip of index card stock (thick paper) and rolled it up to fit the inside surface of the Edge chamber. Two layers covering the entire sides of the chamber, top to bottom. Fairly well thermally insulated from the weed I'd say. The only stainless visible is the bottom of the bowl. I then loaded it loosely and vaped the bowl like I have been at 370.

Guess what? It vaped exactly like it does without the card stock insulator. Timing, flavor, cloud production...the same.

This showed me there is a LOT more convection going on than you think there is.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Candy mint? Breath mint? Two mints in one?
So much of this conduction/convection thing is in the name, or more specifically the marketing, and by that I mean that @OF's more strict interpretation - while quite technically correct - may not be allowing for what have now become, well, terms of art.

I like the heat sink reference as a way to distinguish.
Additionally, I point to the distinction between vapes that heat only the bowl/chamber wall itself (Pax), vapes that heat air just as it enters the chamber (Grasshopper, Milaana). or vapes that do a combination of the two (all S&B). Heat sinking enters the equation on each of these at some point.

If I can load a 'cold' hopper, click on and start drawing within 3 seconds, then receive substantial vapor within 5 more seconds, I'm thinking there hasn't been much time for heat sink. Candy mint!
Second hit, yes, and thicker clouds. Breath mint!

But this is Edge thread! I can see @OF's point about the heated air in Edge. Even though pre-heated, sounds like it's only aiding the substantial conduction in Edge's chamber. Two mints in one?

Top Bottom