Great Movies You've Seen Recently That Are NOT New Releases..

Robert-in-YEG

A favourite of mine.....

The Guns of Navarone.

The link below is NOT the movie; it is link to a YouTube about the movie.

Robert-in-YEG

"It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it."
~ Robert E. Lee

CANtalk

Mads is amazing! He was a Bond villain and imo Hollywood wastes him in comic book & Star Wars movies 🤡.

Another Round. Oscar winner, 92% on RT.

Riders of Justice. Even better, 96% on RT.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

jeffp

psychonaut/retired

From '71, the first movie shot on videotape. I've seen it dozens of times and it never disappoints.
Ringo Starr as Frank Zappa, Keith Moon as a nun who swallows too many pills and ascends to heaven, Theodore Bikel as the devil,
if you can find the whole movie to watch you'll love it, but truly dazzling in sections on the big screen.

GoldenBud

Eyes Wide Shut / Full Metal Jacket
anybody knows movies sort of like this style of Kubrick that isn't older than 1980~ ? I don't like very old movies
thanks

GoldenBud,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Most of my favorite movies are from before 1980, including Kubric movies like Dr Strangelove, Clockwork Orange and Spartacus. The Shining was right on your dividing line at 1980. There are a lot of more recent movies I like as well, but many of my favs are black and white classics.

I have been trying to think of more recent films that are "like Kubrick" but I struggle to come up with any.

CANtalk

I recently watched Warrior again after many many years & it's as excellent as I remember. A top notch cast & not a typical fight movie.

And this time, I immediately recognized one of my favorite indie bands in the soundtrack.

Highly recommended, cheers & enjoy

:peace: :leaf:

GoldenBud

Hey
I am looking for a movie similar to : Identity / Phone booth / Panic room / Shutter Island / The sixth sense / The machinist / The platform

TIA

GoldenBud,

Petrolhead

Original sin !
With Antonio Banderas, Angelina Jolie.
Great story about how can a woman make a man do whatever she wants

Petrolhead,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
With what seems to be an overall rise in "mental health" issues portrayed in film (cinema) by young(er-ish) directors such as Ari Aster, Alex Garland and Jordan Peele (even) etc recently (of course really starting kinda, in the modern sense, with Darren Aronofsky, Lars von Trier, PT Anderson etc)... I did watch another great film again recently on the subject by another great (NYC) director that died pretty young, John Cassavetes. If you have any interest on the subject and have not seen this film, I suggest you do so... jaw-droppingly "good":

A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE

1280px-A_Woman_Under_the_Influence_%281974_poster_-_retouched%29.jpg

A Woman Under the Influence (1974) Original Trailer [HD]

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I just watched The Days of Wine & Roses from 1962. The movie describes the descent into chronic alcoholism by a couple (Jack Lemon, Lee Remick). It's a tragic tale of survival with only one half of the couple able to kick the habit. It won all sorts of awards. As a chronic alcoholic with 37 years sobriety, this is one of my favorite films.

Kaiju

@GoldenBud - based on your request, you might like Jacob's Ladder, Taxi Driver, and/or Apocalypse Now.

Recent great movies I've seen- In the Mouth of Madness, The Wailing, The Thing (rewatch but great nonetheless).

Curious if anyone has seen 'Beau is Afraid'?

GoldenBud

@GoldenBud - based on your request, you might like Jacob's Ladder, Taxi Driver, and/or Apocalypse Now.
Thanks, Apocalypse Now is sort of something similar to Full Metal Jacket right?
Taxi Driver is somehow like Eyes Wide Shut? I had seen it before. but long time ago.
If you liked Taxi Driver, I can recommend about the movie Scent Of A Woman.

If you did like any of these : Identity / Phone booth / Panic room / Shutter Island / The sixth sense / The machinist / The platform
I can recommend the movie Hush

Kaiju

@GoldenBud those movies have similar elements but they are also different enough.

Will check out Scent of a Woman and some of the others I haven't seen.

Kaiju,

GoldenBud

@GoldenBud those movies have similar elements but they are also different enough.

Will check out Scent of a Woman and some of the others I haven't seen.
If you're looking for very high quality Crime/Drama/Mystery, True Detective season 1 is a materpiece. started watching this yesterday, it's one of the best ever imho.

GoldenBud,
Reactions: Kaiju

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
If you're looking for very high quality Crime/Drama/Mystery, True Detective season 1 is a materpiece. started watching this yesterday, it's one of the best ever imho.
Yeah, it was pretty good but the best tv show/season to date was easily the first season of Deadwood... No wonder AI took over Hollysuck... and rightfully so. They ain't my fuckin' "royalty", that's for DAMN sure.

First season of Fargo was ok, same with Stranger Things... Loved Breaking Bad but still nowhere near S01DW and Ozark was barely just ok. Sopranos and Six Feet Under was pretty good, too.

You people will watch anything, huh...? Even you so called "stoners"...?🤔:disgust:

Last edited:
Top Bottom