Discontinued Gn0me - lighter based vaporizers

max

Out to lunch
Abysmal Vapor said:
darkrom said:
Where can I order lol?
Can't stand the beauty huh ? :) "Calen Harmon (gn0me)" gn0me@thegn0me.com
Don't forget to ask about fc discount :).

Since you've established a friendly relationship with the guy, you may want to caution him about his negative advertising, especially when it has no basis in fact.

"Unlike other butane-powered vaporizers, the GCV does NOT rely on the user inhaling the exhaust from butane gas." What vape 'relies' on the user inhaling butane exhaust in order to get vapor or even operate the vape? As worded, that's what he's saying, and it's not true of any vape. And after butane is fully processed, whether by torch flame or catalytic processing, there's nothing left but carbon dioxide, water vapor and heat. The only thing I'll give him is that there is some carbon remaining if a regular, non-torch flame is used. And with the catalytic system used by O&B, or a torch lighter, all the carbon is fully burned/processed as well.

max,
Reactions: TriiKLe

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
In response to the above post, let me ellaborate:

Several vaporizer designs have been made which require the user to inhale a heated gas, generally produced by a butane lighter or burning hemp wick. These include the VaporGenie, VapeOrSmoke, VaporStar and Ubie (how quaint!) among others. When designing the Gnome vape, I wanted to get away from this design for a number of reasons:

-Commercially available butane is not pure. Ask anyone who produces or consumes concentrates, and they will tell you that the brand of butane they use affects the quality of their concentrate. Commercial butane purification from other petroleum distillates involves passing it over several adsorptive filters, which filter out one impurity specifically - if an impurity is present other than that which is targeted by those filters, it passes through and remains in the butane - the number of "#x Refined" is the number of adsorptive filters present, not how many times a distillation has taken place. Most of these impurities are paraffin waxes, as well as various thiols that are added to give the butane a smell. In addition, many cans for sale in Cali have the required warning stating that "This product contains or produces a chemical known by the state of California to cause cancer." Commercially available butane is not meant to be consumed in any way, and to do so is to entrust a refinery, which does not take into account the inhalation of their product, with your health.

-The products of combustion of butane and oxygen are indeed only H2O and CO2 if adiabatically perfect combustion is occurring between C4H10 and O2. However, this is a theoretical situation, and in the real world is not the case. A non-torch lighter is the very model of imperfect combustion - the yellow in the flame consists of microscopic particles of carbon which didn't have enough oxygen to be converted directly from Butane to CO2. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of such combustion types, whether burning butane or hemp wick.

Using a torch lighter can eliminate the CO aspect of the exhaust, but then encounters another problem - the gases present are not only O2 and C4H10 (and some C3H8, C5H12, etc), but also Nitrogen. Various Nitrogen-Oxygen compounds are formed during combustion at elevated flame temperatures (such as those of a torch lighter). You eliminate most of the carbon monoxide when using a torch lighter for these vaporizers, but at the cost of increased NOx composition.

There may be a burner that at some specific fuel and atmospheric pressure produces a nearly pure exhaust stream, but when taken to consumer level operation that will almost always not be the case. This is the reason your natural gas appliances have their exhaust routed to the outside - obviously, the goal of the engineer designing such burners is to get close to adiabatically perfect combustion because it's the most efficient. CO and NOx are still produced, however, and must be vented to the outside. To inhale a gas directly from a source of combustion and pretend it's only CO2 and H2O is fallacy, especially considering the intended medical applications of the device.

With all that out of the way, I can't speak as to the byproducts of the catalytic system used by O&B, as I don't have information on what catalyst they use. Catalytic systems largely resolve the matter of CO production, but without information on how hot they are operating, there is no way of knowing whether or not they produce NOx emissions (since they are still using nitrogen rich air as the source of oxygen). Still, the user of one of these products is entrusting their health to the purity of commercially available butane - I think it is best to avoid the assumption that anyone in the oil and gas industry is looking out for your health in the first place.

I hope this adds some clarity.

-gn0me!

Some further reading can be found here:
http://www.miaqc.org/Sleuth - Combustion Byproducts.htm
www.epa.gov/ttnchie1/ap42/ch01/final/c01s05.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOx

Edit to add: I don't want you to think that I don't appreciate your input on my advertisement and word choice - I'll be sure to take it into account in the upcoming revision of my website. I'll try to be more clear about just why I avoid the exhaust of a butane lighter in the user's air stream :)

gn0me,
Reactions: Bananiq

darkrom

Great Scott!
gn0me I like your style with the in depth explanation and even more the consideration into what a consumer would see as a "simple" vape. The vape itself is "simple" while elegant of course, but it's clear you did your research and aren't out to make a quick buck without having an interest yourself.

Once I get out of my anxiety funk and through the expensive holidays, I'm going to pick one of these up for sure. It looks to have the features I love about my vapor genie, without the drawbacks that prevent me specifically from using it (crazy butane sensitivity is my guess).

It looks to be a fantastic vape. I can't wait to hear Abysmal's review. He knows where my standards are now that he has an Underdog as well :p

Welcome!

darkrom,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
What a nice info :).. I always hated.. normal lighers,expecially plastic ones.. I could taste the butane even when i used to combust joints.. I think of they as gas sparying geisers.. Another thing that bothers me is those with the mechanical stone... it dusts off when you roll the ignition wheel .. you can see even how they fly like comments around .. Is that stuff safe ?
As for the description of the gn0me ,may i suggest you use terms as clean airpath in the description instead of saying other vaporizers inhale exhaust butane even if it is true.. It is not like you are aiming at making profit by saying that their stuff sux :).

Abysmal Vapor,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Even a bic should be as safe as a torch with this vape if I am understanding correctly? I'd have nothing against bics and their dirty (but cheap and available) ways, as long as I'm not consuming ANY of it.

darkrom,

Abysmal Vapor

darkrom said:
Even a bic should be as safe as a torch with this vape if I am understanding correctly? I'd have nothing against bics and their dirty (but cheap and available) ways, as long as I'm not consuming ANY of it.
Well it won't work very efficent with a bic. The gnome has a special rippled/narrowed area which is heated. I don't thing bic can produce enough heat to that area quick enough or whitout making the whole vape warm due to disperced head delivery + it will make your glass black .. :)
But it doesn't need a lot of gas or a big torch. In the site there is a certain model mirco torch suggested (ES-1000)

Abysmal Vapor,

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
darkrom said:

Sadly the Gnome vape is akin to a glass version of the Supreme vaporizer - it will not work without a Torch Flame Lighter. Bics will not get the glass hot enough to facilitate proper vaporization temperatures. The torch flame turns from blue to yellow when the Gnome vape is up to temperature (after about 15-25 seconds depending on your torch). The small Gnomes work with a very small torch lighter - the Ronson Jetlite is my standard of comparison ($5 at Rite-aid) but the GonG style needs a bit more oomph to the flame (dual flame, or tabletop style torch, or a large single jet variety).

The GonG oil vape, just like the Eclipse, works with either a bic, candle, stove, or torch lighter.

gn0me,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Thanks for the info. The small one is the one I like most for my needs since I've got the at home stuff situated and sadly no oil around here haha.

I'd really love to see a video. I wouldn't mind a micro torch at all.

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I'm trying to get 2 friends to split a 3 pack with me. Then I'm all aboard!!

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
If I ordered one today, how much would it cost to get it to Massachusetts by the VERY latest thursday? Is that even possible? I am going away on a snowboarding trip and don't have a portable other than my launch box which I'd rather not use.

darkrom,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Let us know how you like it. I was hoping someone would post a video of this thing in action.

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I guess Aby was a little busy with his X-mas celebrations, or didn't you receive it yet Abysmal?

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

OhTheAgony said:
I guess Aby was a little busy with his X-mas celebrations, or didn't you receive it yet Abysmal?
Damn Posts man,. They haven't worked for 3 days cuz of the holidays .. and they said even on the news.. there is a huge mess with int package delivery... I hope i get my hand on it..soon..

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Same problem with my SS Solo replacement replacement. It's been travelling for 16 days and has finally reached Dutch customs, the first one got to my house in exactly a week. Oh well, new years present are nice too I guess.

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Hopefully it comes thursday which is when I'm going away. If not I can't try it out until saturday night.

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I got mine and will post a review after I finally get a chance to use it. Hopefully I can pick up some butane for my current jet style lighter tomorrow.

http://www.puffitup.com/ColorFlame-Lighters-p/colorflame2pack.htm

Will that lighter do the trick?

My first impressions are it is light but pretty sturdy. Nothing I am scared to set down, but I wouldn't want to drop it (like any glass). I attempted to use it with POWDERED bud and obviously failed horribly, and then that lighter died because it has no butane. Definitely need a coarser grind for this than the MFLB. I regret not getting the ground glass version, but I figure if I enjoy this one but hate holding it together myself, I can always upgrade in the future.

I hope that lighter will do the trick because I'd rather not carry around a much larger torch, plus I don't think any place is going to be open tomorrow to sell me a torch :/

darkrom,

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
Glad to hear it made it through safely!

I find that the best material to use is lightly crumbled, but not put in an herb grinder. If you are stuck with powder, try loading that first, followed by a couple coarser pieces to contact the mouthpiece.

One advantage of the smaller version is that it has two bowls - once one end of the heat exchanger gets dirty, you can just flip it around and use the other side.

That type of lighter may work, but it will probably take about 20-30 seconds to get to temperature. Regretfully I don't have one here to test, so be sure to let us know. Otherwise, one lighter that I know works is the Ronson Jetlite, which should be available at any Rite-Aid for about $5, and I'm sure they're open New Year's as well :)

gn0me,

darkrom

Great Scott!
gn0me said:

I find that the best material to use is lightly crumbled, but not put in an herb grinder. If you are stuck with powder, try loading that first, followed by a couple coarser pieces to contact the mouthpiece.

One advantage of the smaller version is that it has two bowls - once one end of the heat exchanger gets dirty, you can just flip it around and use the other side.

That type of lighter may work, but it will probably take about 20-30 seconds to get to temperature. Regretfully I don't have one here to test, so be sure to let us know. Otherwise, one lighter that I know works is the Ronson Jetlite, which should be available at any Rite-Aid for about $5, and I'm sure they're open New Year's as well :)

Thanks man. I'll see how this lighter does and report back. I won't hold it against the vape if it doesn't work haha. That is neat about flipping the end around, but I feel like if I do love this vape I'll order the ground glass one just to free up a hand lol. I'd suggest the ground glass version at this point and really don't know why I didn't spend the extra on it, but I'll still enjoy this if I like it. Not a deal breaker to hold it a certain way. I'll just save the powdered bud for other vapes and use ripped apart fresh nugs in this.

darkrom,

Abysmal Vapor

darkrom said:
gn0me said:

Thanks man. I'll see how this lighter does and report back. I won't hold it against the vape if it doesn't work haha. That is neat about flipping the end around, but I feel like if I do love this vape I'll order the ground glass one just to free up a hand lol. I'd suggest the ground glass version at this point and really don't know why I didn't spend the extra on it, but I'll still enjoy this if I like it. Not a deal breaker to hold it a certain way. I'll just save the powdered bud for other vapes and use ripped apart fresh nugs in this.
Why don't you get some cheap glass bong with a slide and stick in the gnome ?
-micro.jpg

Abysmal Vapor,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Abysmal Vapor said:
darkrom said:
gn0me said:

Why don't you get some cheap glass bong with a slide and stick in the gnome ?
http://smokeplus.bg/469-674-large/-micro.jpg 4,09

Not very portable after that is it? lol.

So I used the Ronson Jetlight today after picking it up. My whole summary of this vape with this ligher is very simple.

Pros: Purest tasting vapor possible. Amazing amazing flavor.

Cons: Easily the hardest to use portable I've tried :/ Sitting passenger in my friends car I still had a hell of a time even using the thing. It takes too long to get up to temp with the jet light that my finger ends up getting hot long before vapor is created.

I had my usual troubles with the lighter itself (I hate the hassle of filling butane stuff) but I am not going to let the fact that I almost threw the lighter out of the window in frustration be related to my overall experience with the gn0me.

Like I said it is amazing vapor quality, but I don't think this is going to be the daily driver portable vaporizer I personally was looking for just because the use seems really cumbersome and would be IMPOSSIBLE to do for me while driving myself for example. It is simply to difficult. I doubt I will sell it or anything because the flavor and vapor quality are so good, but honestly I probably won't use it very often at all. I am most likely going to use it at home with pressed kief only. Maybe a better torch will have better effects, but I'm not going to try it until someone else posts a video of them using it that way. I just don't want to invest anymore into it. I'm $30 into the vape, $10 in butane now (first can had a shitty filler tip) $5 for a new jet lighter thinking that mine was the problem. I hope abysmal gets his soon since I think he has a crazy torch if I remember correctly. For now I'll just wait. I'm done spending $ on it as a portable since it doesn't fit my needs. I'd imagine this would be FANTASTIC for anyone who has a bong that they use at home though. I'd very highly suggest it for that specific use.

darkrom,

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
I'm sorry to hear of your lighter troubles - the jetlites can be finicky at times, especially depending on altitude. Thanks for the review, however - I'm glad you liked the taste that all-glass vaping can provide. On another note, though, I would urge you to stay safe and seriously reconsider doing any driving while under the influence of mind altering substances, tobacco included.

gn0me,

Abysmal Vapor

I have supplied a micro stove specially for the oil gnome :ko: ..Hope it will be of good use once i get my hands on my long dreamed package.... LOL.

Abysmal Vapor,

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
I wanted to add the following instructions/tips for a good vape, just for clarification. It takes a little bit of practice to really get the hang of it, but once you do the results should be excellent - please don't try it once and toss it away!

-If using a small lighter like the JetLite, be sure to turn it up to the largest usable flame. Sometimes it helps to use a good quality butane, and make sure the lighter is not cold so the pressure inside is at its maximum. Using a larger torch or a dual flame torch lighter makes the process easier.

-After loading, hold the assembled vape at the junction of the two pieces, between your thumb and forefinger (as in the pic on the first page). Try not to get plant matter inside the rippled section.

-Heat the rippled glass section for about 25 seconds. You will see the tip of the flame turn yellow - this indicates the temperature of the glass. Move the flame slowly across the rippled section, and begin inhaling when you see the yellow flame appear from about 2 inches of the section.

-Here is the important part: Continue to heat the glass while breathing in. You will not get a good vape if you stop heating during the inhale. If you get a weak vapor, heat the rippled section a bit longer before starting to breathe in - you can tell how hot the glass is by the intensity of the yellow flame. If your plants turn brown or black, try breathing in more quickly.

I hope this helps. Happy new year everyone ^_^

gn0me,
Top Bottom