Discontinued Gn0me - lighter based vaporizers

darkrom

Great Scott!
Abysmal nice video! I think its fantastic for a bong but IMO it is hardly portable since I wouldn't consider your torch portable LOL. Plus you really can't use it in a car which is a dealbreaker for me. I'm keeping it for pressed kief and IF I end up getting a bong it would be to use with this.

darkrom,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
darkrom said:
Abysmal nice video! I think its fantastic for a bong but IMO it is hardly portable since I wouldn't consider your torch portable LOL. Plus you really can't use it in a car which is a dealbreaker for me. I'm keeping it for pressed kief and IF I end up getting a bong it would be to use with this.
Well you should look into some electric portables :) + i have a small torch and it works awesome.. I tried it in the woods without any problem.. Not that is cold outside i can put it back in my pocket 15-20 secs after session.. I don't consider for possible for me even to talk to a phone while driving or driving with just one hand.. not to speak of taking drugs.. while doing it.. but anyway you should look into some electric portable that requires only one hand.. or none. If there is no place in your car for the gnome classic and a decent torch ( i can take a photo of my on the go torch if you like or link you to it although even the bigger one is portable enough for me) there won't be place for lotus,vg,ubie,vaporbat.vapbong,vapcane,vapo-bowl..iolite,wisper,... etc.. all of them as big or bigger than the gnome .
Also note that Bananiq is getting satisfying results with a toaster , can you imagine what this guy can do with a proper torch :brow: !

Abysmal Vapor,

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
I would just like to note that the dab attachment for the oil rig is in a testing period for now. Various accessories have been made out of borosilicate glass for dabbing concentrates, with mixed success, so I'm unsure at the moment what the longevity of the dome will be. Borosilicate nails have met with mixed reviews, and sometimes shatter after a few uses. There are many variables including glass brand name and how hot it's heated, along with if it's heated during the dab and whatnot, but we'll know in a while whether it's an accessory that will remain in the lineup. I'm using Simax labglass in an effort to deliver the highest quality out of all my vapes, and the globes are replaceable, but at the moment we don't know how they'll hold up to the thermal shock of the dabbing process.

gn0me,

SD_haze

gn0me said:
I would just like to note that the dab attachment for the oil rig is in a testing period for now. Various accessories have been made out of borosilicate glass for dabbing concentrates, with mixed success, so I'm unsure at the moment what the longevity of the dome will be. Borosilicate nails have met with mixed reviews, and sometimes shatter after a few uses. There are many variables including glass brand name and how hot it's heated, along with if it's heated during the dab and whatnot, but we'll know in a while whether it's an accessory that will remain in the lineup. I'm using Simax labglass in an effort to deliver the highest quality out of all my vapes, and the globes are replaceable, but at the moment we don't know how they'll hold up to the thermal shock of the dabbing process.

Wouldn't a quartz globe be much more resistant to shattering?
I've heard some fairly negative things about the initial taste of quartz, but its supposed to be a lot more resilient than glass when it comes to constant heating/dabbing.

SD_haze,

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
Quartz does indeed have characteristics superior to borosilicate when it comes down to issues regarding thermal expansion and contraction - a sudden change in temperature from touching cold concentrates to it, for example. There are a couple problems that I encounter when trying produce a vape with it, though:

Quartz ground glass joints are not readily available - I actually don't know of a single supplier that carries them. Even if they were available, the cost would outweigh the advantages by such a large amount as to make selling them difficult... if that wasn't enough, it's very difficult to work quartz in a propane/oxygen flame, so I'd probably have to use hydrogen/oxygen, which adds another measure of cost. Quartz is also much more brittle than boro, so if the unit took a dive it would likely end up in a few dozen pieces.

It's more feasible to take the alternative route of touching a quartz rod to a dab of concentrate, as the form is not nearly as complex, and more possible to make in a propane/oxygen flame. The materials are more readily available, as well.

Boro does do surprisingly well, however, as long as a few practices are followed. It's best NOT to leave a torch sitting on the globe for minutes on end. Most concentrates vaporize at about 300-400 degrees, and getting the glass glowing is at least 1100 - it's just not necessary, and it also interferes with the stress relieving process (annealing) that each piece of glass is treated with before it leaves the shop. It's better to heat the glass moderately and then dab right away. Problems are also more common when the glass is especially thick, because the inside of the piece will be hotter than the outside after a dab, which makes the glass on the outside try to contract, with no space to contract into (crack!). Keeping the walls about 1.5-2mm should help to alleviate that source of stress.

With all that said, I think it will hold up well with how ABV was hitting it in the video. In the event that it does eventually crack, or if it gets dropped off a table onto concrete or something, the replacement should not be expensive, so there is that bonus. Using a quartz glow rod adds just one more measure of security in longevity :)

gn0me,

Abysmal Vapor

G, those domes are very heat resistant and durable.. I dropped mine 2-3 times on the wooden floor w/o any damage. It reaches temp needed for vaporizing a dab far before it reaches melting . I stop heating as soon as i see glow and then dab. ;) !
If it happens that heat is not enough i can raise it in 1-2 seconds with the torch now that it is already hot. I find this method very nice because you can vape near the the vaporization temps and is easier to me to handle than ti-skillet. which i always overheat and result is combustion.
I like very much hitting the closed dome on the stove ,such a nice way to get control of heat temp .. I hate overheated dabs.. less taste IMO + more harm. I like the hot rod method although :). I feel like a proud warrior aiming at his pray with his crystal spear :D..
Btw don't know how can heat stress can the dome handle but the Gnome classic had no problems with use at -13 C in open mountain environment .. it was chilly that the unit got cold in less than 5 secs after i finished vaporization..

Abysmal Vapor,
which one fits into a 14mm gong? :rolleyes: :horse: I'm having a little trouble getting a grasp on all the tubes. . . I just need need the need the one for water

biojuggernaut,

Abysmal Vapor

Well the gnome classic moutpiece can work as a slide in some piece or with a ring of dbv tubing it fits without any problem to a 14mm joint :) .
The gong gnome can have any glass connection and angle you like :)

Abysmal Vapor,

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
^sweet pic!

I make that GonGnome adapter for 14mm or 19mm ground glass joints, by the way. Pictured is ABV's 19mm in purple.

gn0me,

Abysmal Vapor

Guys i wanna share my outdoor on university experience with the gnome classic .. I had a exam today and we had to wait for results 4 hours.. :) So i invited 4 of my classmates on a Gnome trip :).
One of them was afraid of the torch and he was too paranoid to try it.. The first round i was holding the torch and the top of the gnome (it is not hot at all btw) and the others were just holding the mouthpiece. They all coughed a bit and said that taste is overwhelming .. and quickly one of them pulled out a very special stash he said :) .. We loaded again this time we were passing the torch and the gnome just like a joint around till all was vaped. Everybody got super smashed except for the guy was afrait to try it.. so i came to the idea.. We call this headshot around here.. You basicly turn the joint's ignited side in you mouth and blow so the other guy can inhale on the other side.. smth like forced air hit :) . So i did the same with the gnome.. Loaded a little turned out from the top side and blow trough it not too fast not too slow.. It resulted in a milky stream that was greedy inhaled and resulted in a sit down :).
ONe of them joked that it can even fill a bag.. and i told him yeah that would be the one and only portable flame power all glass airpath bagblowing vape .. .LOL.. I don't like bags but might be a fun idea when be around with newbies.. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/MFLB-Magic-...ultDomain_0&hash=item3cb9eff812#ht_500wt_1413)
I can even imagine hooking the gong gnome to a pump :).. It can even do the big bags.. Anyway i don't need that.. just thought is fun sharing :). I stick to headshots ... My gf totally loves them, she calls them "easy pleasure" .
I am sure it can beat some of the bagblowing vapes on density and cleanness of taste :).

Abysmal Vapor,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
Haha nice story abysmal.

I remember back in college when I'd smoke a lot of blunts...we'd do "shotguns", same thing.

double shotguns we're pretty silly too.

awesome to see it happening with a vaporizer lol

MarcellusWiley,

cluffy

Vaker
Abysmal Vapor said:
Loaded a little turned out from the top side and blow trough it not too fast not too slow.. It resulted in a milky stream that was greedy inhaled and resulted in a sit down :)
I lol'd, now I can't WAIT to try this thing, hoping it gets here today, but probably won't till tomorrow. I was in the drugstore last night and found a Ronson torch lighter in the clearance section for $2.29 (open box)!!! I already have one, but I couldn't resist 1/2 price!!!
IMG_0224.jpg

edit: WOOHOO!! Arrived today!
I had some trouble at first, took some time to get a little vapor. I read the instructions: "All that is needed is a blue flame, approximately 1 inch long." Well I had that, but the darker blue part was only 1/2 inch. The lighter was all the way up, but after opening it up to see what restricted it(not much) I just tweeked it open a little more with a screwdriver. NOW I have nearly 1" of dark blue flame, the whole flame is an inch and a half. With this I am able to get some VERY nice vapor hits! I have yet to try it in the bong, but I can see that with a little practice you could get some serious clouds. I'm gonna have some fun with this thing. Too ripped now to say all I want, but someone with a good camera should get a pic looking down the heating tube, I had no idea those dimples were going so far into the tube, into little points. Very cool glass work. Well worth the price of admission. A good torch is a must though, next on the agenda along with a case. I just saw a harmonica case around here somewhere...

Thanks Calen and thanks ABV for bringing him here(lol @ those initials Abysmal).

cluffy,

Abysmal Vapor

Get a the torch from Deal extreme or just go to the local shack.. :) or whatever you have there.. its 10 $ and i vaporized successfully. It lasts days of heavy use with one fill . It says it gives at least 220 mins of hell power :). 1300 C :D.
Video of the Gong gnome
Btw with the gnome classic i can coughout and fall in stun and there is a fat cloud that can rival dbv/mw/ud on density.. within 15 seconds..

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Wait, how many pieces did you get in your Gnome package? :lol:

I don't think I've seen this large bastard before, it reminds me a bit of the VXH Rain.

I wished you lived a bit closer so we could compare your new glass toys with my Vapocane, I bet that would be a fun session. You better bring all that stuff with you if you're ever coming over to study here ;)

OhTheAgony,

cluffy

Vaker
I'm still getting by with the Ronsons, can't wait to get a decent torch. The Ronsons are unreliable especially since I've tweaked them a little. I might snag my buddy's creme brulee torch tonight. I definitely need a more comfortable trigger, my thumb is killing me!!! :cuss:
I thought you might like to see my Gnome case. I had a nice hardshell eyeglasses case so I took a little foam rubber and a utility knife and wala!! :smug:
IMG_0228-1.jpg

cluffy,

Abysmal Vapor

OhTheAgony said:
Wait, how many pieces did you get in your Gnome package? :lol:

I don't think I've seen this large bastard before, it reminds me a bit of the VXH Rain.

I wished you lived a bit closer so we could compare your new glass toys with my Vapocane, I bet that would be a fun session. You better bring all that stuff with you if you're ever coming over to study here ;)
OTA ! It not only reminds but especially the gong gnome makes the same whistling sound like the cloud :)..

Abysmal Vapor,

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
I'm glad y'all are enjoying your vapes and finding creative new ways to use them!

I have a padded pouch in the works for the classic and ground glass vape... so far two tailors have flaked out on me though so it's hard to get them into production O_o

I like your idea on the eyeglass case with padding! I'm going to have to look into getting a good amount of those, especially for the oil vape.

gn0me,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Cluffy, I highly recommend this one: amazon

One push of the thumb turns in on, and another push on a smaller button underneath/besides the ignition button turns it off again. You don't need to mess with the flame adjuster valve either every time like with most creme brulee torches,& it's a real solid quality.

Another nice one is the Blazer GB2001, but it's slightly less convenient to use compared to this one.

ABV, is it the glass screen that causes this? Tbh I don't really like it when vapes make noise as soon as I start inhaling..

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

It is the rippled area.. and the sound is very pleasant,it is not louder that bubbling water in a bong(like the hissing of the DBV HC air hole when you pull fast but musical in tones ).. ,it is more like the sound of getting high, like gentle whistle that calls you to come back to heaven. It can be heard best on dry tube :),in fact i just noticed that sound yesterday for first time .
Btw .. I hate sounds too.. To me sounds of Volcano,HA,Extreme Q(quiet=lol),Vapomatic,Zephyr.. are like Zen killers :),but bubbling and sound of air passing the tubes , is quite nice.. and helps my concentration just like some people meditate under waterfalls :).

Abysmal Vapor,

cluffy

Vaker
Well OTA, $40 is more than I want to spend on a torch lighter. I did go for the most expensive one at Dealextreme though! Honest Torch
My buddy and I had a good time playing with the Gnome and the creme brulee torch, spent some time with the DBV and UD too. I need to figure out a water set up for the Gnome, my bong is too small. I can't see if when vapor's coming. I've been shopping for a new bubbler, haven't decided on one yet but I'll know when the right one comes along.

@Gnome: The eyeglass case is fine but it would be better with a clasp or something to keep it shut. Also you'd have to come up with a good quick way to cut the foam and then glue it in the cases. Might be more trouble than it's worth. You can get those cases pretty cheap though!

cluffy,

Abysmal Vapor

Hey cluffy , why don't you try to preaheat and then hit it.. What i just did is blazed my gnome ,moving my slowly the flame up down and heating all sides and all wholes so all the pins inside of the tube can get hot and heat the air nicely .. (it takes no more than 20-25 secs). This way i find to get 3-4 fat rips .

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, heat retention FTW!

It's the only way I use my Vapocane. I usually torch it for 40 seconds or so but that's just my ritual, it can go a little faster if you're in a rush.

I don't get why FCers seem to think that is a lot of money for a solid torch when they have for 100s if not 1000's of dollars worth of vaporizers & glassware and spend that kind of money on weed at least weekly, but I've heard the Honest is of good quality too.

What kinda bubblers are you considering Cluffy? I've been wanting a nice one for ages but most of them are so expensive. I really don't want to pay much more then 100 - 150 for a piece of breakable glass, but my taste is so much more expensive... I've been looking around for local glassblowers hoping one of them can copy a Ion Matrix for me for cheap, haha. No luck yet though. I probably end up with a cheap Black Leaf or Weedstar bubbler eventually.

OhTheAgony,

cluffy

Vaker
ABV, I read your suggestion and that's how I did the first hit of the day. even though the DBV was ready and willing to serve me. I heated and spun that Gnome till there was yellow flame all around, took a big old rip off the bong and WOW! I may have gone a tad far on the heat but I didn't quite combust, just a little blackened at the top. I got a huge start of the day kind of hit. I'm sure i can get it right the next time! Lemme check... YUP! No black, just a dark golden brown. Now I'm going to have trouble replying to OTA, should've done that first. :mmmm: ~ DOH!

OhTheAgony said:
I don't get why FCers seem to think that is a lot of money for a solid torch when they have for 100s if not 1000's of dollars worth of vaporizers & glassware and spend that kind of money on weed at least weekly, but I've heard the Honest is of good quality too.

What kinda bubblers are you considering Cluffy? I've been wanting a nice one for ages but most of them are so expensive. I really don't want to pay much more then 100 - 150 for a piece of breakable glass, but my taste is so much more expensive... I've been looking around for local glassblowers hoping one of them can copy a Ion Matrix for me for cheap, haha. No luck yet though. I probably end up with a cheap Black Leaf or Weedstar bubbler eventually.

I think you solved your own mystery there OTA. Some folks have no problem spending $500 or more on a glass piece but you want to spend 100 - 150. Same deal with a torch, I just want something to get the job done well, but I don't want to invest more than I have to. I'm in no financial shape right now for either, I'm just looking for a cheap bubbler, and I want to be able to use it for an ash catcher on my little bong.
This one I like: 6-arm , but I need 14mm and the guy doesn't have the right adapter. Then there's THIS one: 8-arm , but I would like to get a sherlock mouthpiece with it and dude doesn't have those either. I want to get the bubbler and mouthpiece at the same place. I'm gonna email the guy when I have enough money to spend, or I might just get a 7th Floor set-up: 7th floor bubs ,
they come with the sherlock mouthpiece, some 7th floor hose and a GG whip adapter. Plus 7th Floor has been very, very good to me. I'm not doing anything till the rent and all bills are paid next week.

Whoa, here we are talking glass on the Gnome thread... it happens on all the vape threads. It's ok as long as we don't linger too long on it, right? Back on topic, I'm digging the Gnome very much. It's not the easiest vape to use, but once you get it, it's actually a lot of fun. I told my buddy that there's gonna be some stoners with burned fingers out there. I've touched that heat exchanger a couple times after using the Gnome but caught myself before actually grabbing it, no burns yet!! A few more times and I'll be conditioned to avoid touching that section!!! :lol: I also set it on a plastic tablecloth, melted a little plastic to the Gnome but it came right off.
@Gnome: I was thinking that another little bump on the heat exchanger tube might make a little stand to keep the hot part of the heat exchanger tube off the table. Does that make sense to you?
LOL, I forget who said this in the chat, but I gotta share. "Why is it that every time a new vape comes out some stoner comes up with a dozen ways he thinks it could be improved?"
Happy Weekend workers!!! I'll be joining you soon!!!

cluffy,

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
The best thing to do is to install granite countertops. Problem solved!!!

Joking aside, try setting the heat exchanger onto the beads of the mouthpiece. They should keep it from rolling around while giving enough space to keep the hot parts off of the table :)

gn0me,
Top Bottom