• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Gn0ck0ffs

davesmith

Glass Blower
as a couple of you may know I said I'd make some of these for members. This is not meant to be a money making exercise, more of a giving back to the forum.

Now I know I've been incredibly slow but I've been struggling to get the correct heavy wall tubing to make these. I made one a while back with medium wall tubing and it works although I'd like to stay as close to the original design as possible.

So my glass supplier has had many fuck ups and ordered the wrong things more than once now so just so you guys know I haven't forgotten you I'll be making a couple out of the cheaper tubing and offering them as testers to the people who already own e originals and at cost price. If the feedback is good for these then great, if not then we continue to wait for the correct parts. If it does work them we can offer budget versions too as the price difference is about 400% on the two types of gong joints.

Anyway I'm away for the weekend but I promise I haven't forgotten. This thread will now be the place for the progression of this community project.

Feel free to message me or post here with any questions or recommendations.

All he best

@Stu @IndirectEffect please tag people who may be interested and maybe mention it in the gnome thread, I'm not sure if I'm allowed (odd circumstances)
-

geraldus

as a couple of you may know I said I'd make some of these for members. This is not meant to be a money making exercise, more of a giving back to the forum.

Now I know I've been incredibly slow but I've been struggling to get the correct heavy wall tubing to make these. I made one a while back with medium wall tubing and it works although I'd like to stay as close to the original design as possible.

So my glass supplier has had many fuck ups and ordered the wrong things more than once now so just so you guys know I haven't forgotten you I'll be making a couple out of the cheaper tubing and offering them as testers to the people who already own e originals and at cost price. If the feedback is good for these then great, if not then we continue to wait for the correct parts. If it does work them we can offer budget versions too as the price difference is about 400% on the two types of gong joints.

Anyway I'm away for the weekend but I promise I haven't forgotten. This thread will now be the place for the progression of this community project.

Feel free to message me or post here with any questions or recommendations.

All he best

@Stu @IndirectEffect please tag people who may be interested and maybe mention it in the gnome thread, I'm not sure if I'm allowed (odd circumstances)
-
All right , Dave , good to hear the news !

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Great news @davesmith

I would really like to be on your list for one of these so please keep me in mind. I also have talked with another member here about a custom gnome like setup they had made from another glass blowing fc member on here. I will send you more information in an PM but perhaps you may want to colloborate or ask about recourcing the glass from this member.

Have a good weekend man!

davesmith

Glass Blower
Thanks to the mod who moved the thread.

As for the longevity of such devices it's a complicated issue. Any glassblower will tell you that this design is a fairly 'stress heavy' design. There are a few things like making sure the indents don't change the wall thickness too much and that none of hem touch or 'tag' to each other which will mean a well made product. The way in which you heat the tube will also affect its longevity.

Basically, rapidly heating or cooling glass will induce stress as will a variation in temperature on the surface. So if you heat 1cm of a glass tube you will have the stress induced by how quickly it's heated, and then the area around that 1cm will be stressed due to the variation in temp, and then the stress caused by how quickly it's cooled. Basically you want to evenly and slowly raise and reduce the temp of glass.

Here's an example. Take a drinking glass and heat one side with a dab torch. If you hit it when he glass is cool straight into the hottest part of the flame it will shatter where the flame hits it. If you heat one side slowly enough that it doesn't crack then once he difference in temp is large enough between the side your torch g and the other side it will crack along the heats perimeter. If you, for example, heat the whole glass then stick it under a cold tap, it'll crack.

I'm not great at explaining stuff but if you can wrap your head around how glass stresses you can lengthen the life of a vape like this. Unfortunately eventually these will break regardless but being careful and educated about it can help.

I'd class these things as semi-disposable. That's just my 2p though.

Last edited:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Thanks to the mod who moved the thread.
You're welcome. ;)
Very curious about this and how long one could expect them the survive normal use minus a drop of course.
While I can't speak to the Gn0ck0ff obviously, I can say that my OG gn0me has been heated up hundreds of times and is still no worse for the wear. I'm curious to see if the cheaper glass withstands the same abuse. Let's hope so!

:peace:

b0

Cloudy...
Wow! Always wanted a Gnome and was really sad when the guy making them disappeared, so happy to see this :D

So your plan is to do only the wpa one or also the classic? I'm really interested in this, are you planning send it overseas or is gonna be only for US users?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Nice! I am the member @nosmoking mentioned... Haven't gotten to try it really yet though, kinda afraid and don't trust myself... (Also cant fill this creme brule torch... Small one didnt really work, in Daisy direct torch tube heating either) Some day though

RastaVapa

HomeGrownLogs UK log maker
Manufacturer
I would be interested as I have gone through too many vapocanes and always wanted a gnome , will you be shipping to the uk?

Edit : Just reread the thread it is shipping internationally my error ,look forward to one now

Last edited:

davesmith

Glass Blower
OK so I'll be off to the kiln to get the first two or three today. These will be sent to a couple of people for testing and once I get the all clear from them then I can roll out however many people want. These pre-productions are made with slightly thinner wall than the originals (I think, I've never actually held a gnome) and this is something I want to find out before ordering all the materials. It may seem that I'm being a bit cautios but that's because I'm unemployed and am struggling to make ends meet at the moment (cue tiny violin lol) so can't go and drop $ on the materials unless I'm sure I can flip them. Thanks for your understanding.

So..
I also spent a little time doing some testing myself yesterday :science: we found most of the torches we have for nails are too weak for the gnome. We were using two for a while before we resorted to the glassblowing torches. Just be aware that small dab torches take forever to heat this puppy up. I'm inpatiant and having a lampworking torch on hand certainly sped things up hahaha

I'll post a little update later and be contacting the lucky couple of people tonight to get addresses etc. For the testers.

Thanks for your patience fc. Big respect.

@bounce5 they'll be the same as the originals I think. $35 dry and $50 wpa. I will try to include the cheapest international shipping with that but I've gotta look into it and make sure its feasable.

davesmith

Glass Blower
10ppo9f.jpg

So I got these out of the kiln yesterday :love: they're available as 'prototypes' to people who already own an OG Gn0me, they are slightly cheaper than the price above on the premise that you will test and compare to the original and report back your findings. These are not as perfect (aesthetics) as the ones I will do a batch of but are functionally fine. Please contact me if you'd like one, I pm'd two members I promised first dibs but if I have no response by tomo I will offer them first come first serve (pm me and have funds available pls) As soon as I've had word back on these pre-production ones I will order all the nessecary parts and do a batch for everyone else.

Please note there is many different types of 14mm joint available (5 in my supplier) and I'm just trying to work out which was used in the original and how it effects usage (I doubt very much but anyway) I've never seen or used an Og gnome but after testing one of these fairly thoroughly I can say regardless it works, I'm just trying to keep it exactly the same. Maybe I'm overthinking it but let's see. Patience is one of our best virtues over at fc :freak:

now a question to the community.....

How shall we do payment? Is PayPal ok with everyone? Also I checked postage and unfortunately adding a tracking number can more than double the cost of postage. I know everyone loves tracking numbers but as these are fairly small parcels and can probably fit in mail boxes etc are you lot going to be happy without a tracking number? It'll def keep costs down :tup:

Atb

b0

Cloudy...
10ppo9f.jpg

So I got these out of the kiln yesterday :love: they're available as 'prototypes' to people who already own an OG Gn0me, they are slightly cheaper than the price above on the premise that you will test and compare to the original and report back your findings. These are not as perfect (aesthetics) as the ones I will do a batch of but are functionally fine. Please contact me if you'd like one, I pm'd two members I promised first dibs but if I have no response by tomo I will offer them first come first serve (pm me and have funds available pls) As soon as I've had word back on these pre-production ones I will order all the nessecary parts and do a batch for everyone else.

Please note there is many different types of 14mm joint available (5 in my supplier) and I'm just trying to work out which was used in the original and how it effects usage (I doubt very much but anyway) I've never seen or used an Og gnome but after testing one of these fairly thoroughly I can say regardless it works, I'm just trying to keep it exactly the same. Maybe I'm overthinking it but let's see. Patience is one of our best virtues over at fc :freak:

How shall we do payment? Is PayPal ok with everyone? Also I checked postage and unfortunately adding a tracking number can more than double the cost of postage. I know everyone loves tracking numbers but as these are fairly small parcels and can probably fit in mail boxes etc are you lot going to be happy without a tracking number? It'll def keep costs down :tup:

Atb

Paypal is perfect in my book, and I don't care about shipping as long as it arrives safely :)

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
10ppo9f.jpg

Atb

Cool shit my man. Thanks a lot for doing what you do.

lazylathe

Almost there...
10ppo9f.jpg

Atb

Looking good!!
Can't wait to own and try one of these vapes!! A Canadian made vape shipped to me inside Canada! This must be a first!!!

RastaVapa

HomeGrownLogs UK log maker
Manufacturer
they look very nice, paypal is perfect with me and i would let you know if it did not arrive when production starts, just a quick question , do they have a glass gauze/screen or ss, look forward to trying one of these out when they r ready........ :leaf::)

Top Bottom