Discontinued Ghost MV1

Stormsend

I'm not surprised, I bought 3 units and ended up selling all three. It would overly complicated to use compared to the more simple and more effect Mighty. I can't believe I was hyped into selling my Mighty for this when it first came out, Glad I sold when I did and got a second Mighty that is still going strong. Sorry for those that fell for hype and bought in. For those that know how to use it and love it, Id probably buy the remaining stock just for the batteries lol.

Baron23

I guess one of my thoughts is to wonder if any of the members here own or manage a business that uses customer service reps....who very often can work remotely from home so geo considerations should not be an obstacle.

Because, if you do, you will not find a better rep than Virgil.

Someone hire this boy, NOW!! haha

Seriously, I have had CS functions in my programs (before I retired) for a very long time and Virgil is top notch, IME.

Stormsend

I'm not surprised, I bought 3 units and ended up selling all three. It would overly complicated to use compared to the more simple and more effect Mighty. I can't believe I was hyped into selling my Mighty for this when it first came out, Glad I sold when I did and got a second Mighty that is still going strong. Sorry for those that fell for hype and bought in. For those that know how to use it and love it, Id probably buy the remaining stock just for the batteries lol.
I realize this sounds like a commercial for Mighty lol sorry for that, obvz Im blasted lol

papa_ent

The Ghost taught me my lesson about new and better vapes. And just how overpriced/marked up vapes actually are, my god.

Given that this market is a niche of the overall marijuana market I genuinely wonder how many vape manufacturers and really vape retail stores can survive the pandemic. Too many folks just cant throw money at a luxury item right now.

guyonthecouch

The Ghost taught me my lesson about new and better vapes. And just how overpriced/marked up vapes actually are, my god.

Given that this market is a niche of the overall marijuana market I genuinely wonder how many vape manufacturers and really vape retail stores can survive the pandemic. Too many folks just cant throw money at a luxury item right now.
New, it was.. better it wasn't. The Mv1 was always a brick a device, coil tech - nothing new. Heat Sink design = just an extended airpath that trapped way too much of the goodies/noids out of the vapor.

8 hour charge time.. :doh:

Consistently inconsistent = Mv1

Great customer service doesn't mean squat if the company is gone in a years time.

This thing was pure hype train and they could've done a lot more a lot earlier to fix the issues they faced.

Djsleepy

Bad relations with China is what I’m thinking ...Haze switched manufacturing to different company and then saw problems get worse.....with the battery issue for so long I think their manufacturing partners said “those batteries are NOW gonna cost” and they went looking to no avail and then just depleting their supply via replacements ......but as others have already said enjoy what u got cuz their ain’t gonna be a vape industry for a while IMO.....stay safe and enjoy a crucible !

justcametomind

Wow did this really happen?
So happy I didn’t get in on this like I did with the Haze Square. My lesson was learnt the first time.
I was very tempted to join cause it represented what we were all asking from a portable. I didn’t trust the company so much to buy at launch and I definitely lost interest when I heard stirring was required. It reminds me of Elevape Smart 2.0. Same story (minus the exit scam attempt iirc) for a similar on demand vaporizer (stirring required as well).

yogurtsauce

Yeah and that's all well and good.

I really feel bad for those who lost jobs. I have someone that assists me, now, and my boss says when work she can do runs out, so does her job. I hate this feeling. She's got a kid. This economic shutdown has to stop. It killed the MV-1. That's the final straw.

Welfare/unemployment insurance benefits/stimulus/recompense, whatever you wanna call it, compared to a job, and one you really like no doubt.... there is no comparison.

I just feel for them... I may be putting someone in that situation and I could be next.
Small businesses aren’t being bailed but the billion dollar businesses that don’t need to be bailed are getting bailed. This isn’t the only small company that we will see shut down, this is the first of many many many many many many shut downs.

I figured that they were liquidating when they did those huge sales.

they got hit hard by Apple first, then killed by the recession

Brewervapesalot

They had to have known it was coming. They were doing huge sales back in November. $125 for a vape that was released at close to $400.

That's when it was obvious. But everyone knew the risk of buying then because many stated it was obvious they were going under and making a last ditch effort for cash flow and a miracle to happen.

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Sad news about Ghost folding, but not really unexpected.

The MV1 has been my daily driver for some time, and is my favorite vape of all time (so far :) ).

I have 4 working MV1s, 2 of which are essentially brand new. I have 8 battery packs, 3 of which are unused.

I intend to keep on using them until they all die. The only problem I've had with any of them is burned-out coils. Ghost replaced 3 units for me, free of charge, when the coils went out. I guess if that happens now, there will be no way to repair the unit.

In any case, I'm good for at least a year I'd guess, maybe more. I wonder if I'll wind up being the last person using one regularly? :p

It's a weird time and Ghost won't be the only small business to fold. I expect there to be a bit less innovation and new products coming out for some time.

Stay safe, everyone.
If you need any help getting a Splinter ZV2 configured you can message me. Portable not so much but chef kiss mwah for flavor, vapor quality, and value. I never fucked with Ghost so I won't compare.

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
Small businesses aren’t being bailed but the billion dollar businesses that don’t need to be bailed are getting bailed. This isn’t the only small company that we will see shut down, this is the first of many many many many many many shut downs.

I figured that they were liquidating when they did those huge sales.

they got hit hard by Apple first, then killed by the recession

They got killed because the vape didn't deliver like they promised, and they spent their funding on the wrong areas of the business.

readyman

Well I went and ordered a black chrome from puff it up 119 dollars shipped I have a stealth with 2 new heatsinks Ghost sent me awhile back so I figured mine still works great but will probably have a problem later with the latch so the black chrome hopefully does not have latch problems and between them both I should be good for awhile I think for roughly 100 bucks I got a vape well worth that

SquirrelMaster

@cosimo
I would put it towards another vape. The Tinymight won't go on sale if the current demand is any indication but the Mighty should see a good sale.

@readyman
Any unit other than the stealth will be good for latches. It was the lack of chrome coating on the stealth that seemed to be the issue. On your stealth push the door in before you open it to relieve any possible stress. Letting the unit cool down is also a really good preventative measure. At least you'll have an extra battery now too!

Brewervapesalot

They gave away so many free replacements, no business model could support such a high failure rate.

I agree. I just feel like sometimes we, as customers, demand that, i.e., "great customer service," too much.

Puts the companies in a catch 22. Piss off, rightfully or wrongfully, a single customer and get bad reviews on places like this is pretty common. That costs them sales no doubt. Because people say whatever, the company doesn't want to piss anyone off, and what you said happens...

Also the difference in costs between replacements versus troubleshooting and fixing them is probably negligible. I mean you pay people hourly to troubleshoot and fix the devices and ship 'em back. That adds up real quick. Since the unit sold for $125.00, its cost was likely even less.. just shipping new ones out in warranty claims may be cheaper sometimes, or often, for all we know.

stinkytofus

My favorite portable vape, they are folding ? I was hoping for a v2 or a smaller vape

MV1 besides heat sink paint issue, had worked for me flawlessly, the design is excellent although a bit bulky, taste was amazing, the ease of use outside was a bonus too, cleaning was easy, its sad they folded, Virgil provided the best customer service in the industry hands down, was really hoping to see a MV2

Djsleepy

From the two I paid for .....due to latches and my heavy use......I had 20 replacements....I asked several times if they wanted.to.continue to.send me.units and they said no problem....I provided them evidence of the latch issues.which they appreciated.but to according to the above post they were broke all year long looking for money....investors finally said enuff is enuff...but Virgil is the BEST CS in any industry I've done biz.with .....

cosimo

Ugh.... i just dropped my MV1 from about 5 feet into hardwood floor. Nothing sounds loose inside... buthaven't been brave enough to use it again... don't want to find out it needs repearing which won't be happening ughhhhh.

Djsleepy

Ugh.... i just dropped my MV1 from about 5 feet into hardwood floor. Nothing sounds loose inside... buthaven't been brave enough to use it again... don't want to find out it needs repearing which won't be happening ughhhhh.

No visible dents ? I think you're ok....just make sure nothing.is.jiggling inside.before.you fire.it.up....lol

Baron23

Ghost made a number of mistakes, in my estimation

As some of you may know, @VCBud and I are friends. He sent me a very early model....before release...to try out and was a bit gobsmacked at some of my comments and indicated that other criticism I had were indeed raised by him to Ghost who choose not to implement any changes.

First....I love Virgil and enjoyed my bit of a relationship with Patrick who ran the company. I have nothing bad to say about the people at Ghost and they are far from the first people to develop a tech product to their vision but which eventually failed in execution.

I was a very early employee of Corvis (long haul optical during the bubble...look it up) which is a poster boy for this kind of thing.

My first objection were the crucibles and what a PIA it was to to load them correctly. This includes the lids which were a PIA to keep clean enough. Also, the crucibles say really frakin hot for a good while and they are small. So, taking one out to stir or taking one out to immediately load another had its challenges.

Next was my objection to the "one button to bind them all" user interface. I don't like them on the MV1 or any other vape. I can live with it on a $70 VLeaF GO, but not on a top quality vape. I include in this the display of batt level before display of temp...that one met with almost universal outcry and they couldn't seem to do anything about it.

The CU. It actually works well but again its over engineered IMO and improper assembly was the source of constant demand on CS...which costs $$.

Full convection portables are a bit fiddly by nature and the MV1 was no exception. BUT, I do get dang good extraction and every time I'm alarmed by see a bit of green on the top, when I dump the AVB out its not even noticeable. Can't find the green, really. I try to do this with new vapes as just looking into the oven is often misleading.

The door latch...sigh. Coupled with their VERY accommodating CS policy and shipments of replacements, this was costly, I believe.

Then there is the CS they provided.....yes, we loved it because...well, it benefited us but cost us nothing. But it does cost someone and in this case Ghost. I have long viewed their advance replacement policy as unsustainable for Ghost.

Poor battery regulation. This one really annoyed me and its the phenom that as the battery depletes the heater performance goes down significantly. And, who knows why exactly, but re-seating your battery mitigated this to some extent. I mean, they enclosed 18650's for a reason...there is a board in there to regulate power, yeah? But, it didn't do a very good job and I tended to not use the same battery for more than two loads before recharging.

Apps...I'm fine with apps as long as ALL functions on the app are also available via the direct device user interface (i.e. buttons). Then Apple really put the squeeze on them.

Ah....I think its been mentioned already that some of their marketing and marketing related spending priorities were out of line....I mean, how many vapes did sponsoring a Slightly Stoopid tour sell exactly?

I thought they took a good first stab and that if they solicited more user feedback, and took it seriously, they may have had a much better vape or certainly a better V2. But alas, that's not to be.

The simple fact is that dry herb vaping is a small niche market and that the vast majority of folks are combusting flower or vaping means carts or dabs to them. Hard to raise money for a small market item like dry herb vaping.

I have two MV1's and four batteries. When they die, I will give them a Viking funeral and toast Virgil...the best CS rep EVER!! :-)

Djsleepy

The simple fact is that dry herb vaping is a small niche market and that the vast majority of folks are combusting flower or vaping means carts or dabs to them. Hard to raise money for a small market item like dry herb vaping.

well said....since ghost demise I’ve bought a couple of vapes and the actual companies couldn’t help either be cuz they couldn’t access their stock or was low to out or they wouldn’t ship to US ( S and B) so I went to other authorized sites and got the last of their stock .... imo I see this is going to cause a lot of out of stocks and possible companies going under .... one of the main reasons I purchased now...could be a while before industry has something new and exciting....enjoy whatever you got!

Djsleepy,
Reactions: Relaxed

kiddvudu2

A side-chute thought on the industry in general:

So much ground has been made in this small but passionate sector (dry herb vapes) that I have a hard time believing it is going to just die by the wayside due to lack of interest. I've read a few posts hinting that might be our bleak future. It makes me very sad when I momentarily allow myself to think "what if, one day, my only options are something so simplistic like a vapcap (no disrespect, I am a happy owner of a couple), or carts/dabs/etc (which I have no interest in), or combustion (such a waste of those amazing low temp terps)."

But this world is driven by technology these days. We have gadgets for almost everything imaginable - much of it has a smaller market than our beloved dry herb compound extractors. I am always relieved when I grab one of my favorite devices, dial into some random temp and settle into a mind-distracting rambling thought about nothing. Such is the case here.

We have come so far, we know alot more do's and dont's now than 2, 5, 10 years ago. Somebody will try again and maybe with this market adjustment they will be forced to do some things in their business model that hasn't been done successfully yet. With what we already know, the engineering side of things will have a jump on devices designed even last year. It may never be a cell-phone type market, but I hope there are at least a handful of top-notch dry herb devices to choose from at any given time.

I'm also not sure where I stand on wanting a company to be so successful that they become my only choice. To date, the PAX and PAX3 are the only units I've "upgraded" from the same vape company and I'm pretty happy with my collection right now. I'd obviously be happier if my MV1 warranty would still be in tact, but realistically I was already in a place where I was ok with spending a couple hundred on a new unit every year or 2 anyways. Something will hopefully peak my interest before I'm down to my last functional unit.

Cheers Ghost, Cheers Virgil and Patrick, Cheers to all you as well.

Top Bottom