Discontinued Ghost MV1

cosimo

After a few months with my MV1 (thank you black friday sales!), I can report I am completely addicted to the quality of the vapor I get from this unit and ALL my friends, who didn't like any vaporizers they'd tried, are now hooked and looking forward to 4-20. I've tried several vaporizers, only owned a few of them, but would definitely say this one is in the top 3 in terms of the quality of the vapor (smoothness, flavor, effects, amount).
We get visible huge clouds of the tastiest vapor 98% of the time... the other 2% are just very tasty hits with very little-to-none visible vapor. We only use the amber settings... mosty 1 and 2. Also 1 or 2 crucibles are usually enough for desired effects, but we often have 1 more because it's just freakin tasty and we usually have 3 difrerent varieties at hand and feel the need the taste them all every time hehehe.

BUT... I've not been able to avoid getting the overheating warnings much sooner than I thinks it should be happening. If I only fill the crucibles to half of their capacity, i get the warning by the end of a third crucible (with 4-6 hits per crucible) at max 3 amber... but even a bit more than half of a crucible and the warning comes up by the end of the second crucible.
Now i only inhale after the first hard vibration/flashing led has happened (I was able to begin once i pressed the button), and I've I tried drawing at different speeds (mostly like inhaling slowly and long, but that seems to over heat faster). I've tried different grinds, all filling methods (including the TAP TAP TAP way), different herb dryness, and different room temps... nada. Also, this even happens with the unit an crucibles completely cleaned. I think I'm only missing trying the manual calibration which I am actually doing in this moment as I write this. I will be updating on how it turns out.

So... all of this was just to say hello to all the mv1 lovers at FC and share a bit of my experience so far, and well... I also wanted to say that I adore my Ghost MV1 and totally recommend it... BUT i'm not sure I would pay more than 175 bucks for a unit + crucible dispenser, but at that or a lower price, everyone should buy one for their collection. If their is a sale similar to the one on last balck friday, I'm getting a second one for sure!

okc0mputer

...BUT i'm not sure I would pay more than 175 bucks for a unit + crucible dispenser, but at that or a lower price, everyone should buy one for their collection...!

This reinforces my decision to wait for a sale to get one of these, so thanks!
My birthday is 3/20 so every year I buy myself a new vape as a gift to myself, and say "fuck the 420 sales". I was planning on the ghost as my first portable and would have already purchased it but they were out of battery packs and chargers. I'm now off the ledge and patiently awaiting black friday like a reasonable person.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
@cosimo I also get the Red flashing overheat pretty quickly (sometimes on the first crucible if I try) I think this is better than damaging anything or getting the silicon too hot, my crucible door is barely touchable when the overheat kicks in so I am happy with its function...just need a second unit for rotating hits.:lol:

Djsleepy

@cosimo I also get the Red flashing overheat pretty quickly (sometimes on the first crucible if I try) I think this is better than damaging anything or getting the silicon too hot, my crucible door is barely touchable when the overheat kicks in so I am happy with its function...just need a second unit for rotating hits.:lol:

Guys if you are getting an overheat that quick on a cold unit, start a ticket IME it's possibly an issue.....if all else is good and done right ......

floribud

If you're getting the over-heating right away, here's one "obvious" thing to check, that I overlooked. Check that the heat sink didn't become raised when you closed the crucible door. It doesn't take much. I was having problems and then realize my heatsink got pushed up maybe 1/16" and was ruining the whole airflow system. Fortunately just pushing it down fixed everything. Now everytime I close the door, I also push down on the heatsink for a second, to make sure the top of the heatsink is flush with the top of the Ghost frame.

Djsleepy

If you're getting the over-heating right away, here's one "obvious" thing to check, that I overlooked. Check that the heat sink didn't become raised when you closed the crucible door. It doesn't take much. I was having problems and then realize my heatsink got pushed up maybe 1/16" and was ruining the whole airflow system. Fortunately just pushing it down fixed everything. Now everytime I close the door, I also push down on the heatsink for a second, to make sure the top of the heatsink is flush with the top of the Ghost frame.

Don't push down too hard that can push out the top corner of the latch...I insert heat sink slowly until stops.....Also re: my post on hot unit....I don't recommend putting in New heat sink until cool as it can affect latch due to heat and pressing down too hard from above...hope it helps!

I found this in FAQS

Additional Note:

We have seen units overheat way before expected. We've identified this as a "premature overheat." As noted, a typical session for flower is comprised of 6-8 draws, 8-10 for concentrates. If your MV1 is overheating on for example draw 3 on your 1st session of the day, please write into Customer Care here >>> Create New Support Request

Last edited by a moderator:

virgil_GHOST

Company Rep
Company Rep
After a few months with my MV1 (thank you black friday sales!), I can report I am completely addicted to the quality of the vapor I get from this unit and ALL my friends, who didn't like any vaporizers they'd tried, are now hooked and looking forward to 4-20. I've tried several vaporizers, only owned a few of them, but would definitely say this one is in the top 3 in terms of the quality of the vapor (smoothness, flavor, effects, amount).
We get visible huge clouds of the tastiest vapor 98% of the time... the other 2% are just very tasty hits with very little-to-none visible vapor. We only use the amber settings... mosty 1 and 2. Also 1 or 2 crucibles are usually enough for desired effects, but we often have 1 more because it's just freakin tasty and we usually have 3 difrerent varieties at hand and feel the need the taste them all every time hehehe.

BUT... I've not been able to avoid getting the overheating warnings much sooner than I thinks it should be happening. If I only fill the crucibles to half of their capacity, i get the warning by the end of a third crucible (with 4-6 hits per crucible) at max 3 amber... but even a bit more than half of a crucible and the warning comes up by the end of the second crucible.
Now i only inhale after the first hard vibration/flashing led has happened (I was able to begin once i pressed the button), and I've I tried drawing at different speeds (mostly like inhaling slowly and long, but that seems to over heat faster). I've tried different grinds, all filling methods (including the TAP TAP TAP way), different herb dryness, and different room temps... nada. Also, this even happens with the unit an crucibles completely cleaned. I think I'm only missing trying the manual calibration which I am actually doing in this moment as I write this. I will be updating on how it turns out.

So... all of this was just to say hello to all the mv1 lovers at FC and share a bit of my experience so far, and well... I also wanted to say that I adore my Ghost MV1 and totally recommend it... BUT i'm not sure I would pay more than 175 bucks for a unit + crucible dispenser, but at that or a lower price, everyone should buy one for their collection. If their is a sale similar to the one on last balck friday, I'm getting a second one for sure!

Great share, thank you for taking the time and definitely write in to us when/if you feel the overheat is interrupting your normal process. You can send me a PM here with the information below or you can email us at info@ghostvapes.com with the same info.

To begin the process, please provide the following information:

1.) Order number or Retailer name
2.) Serial Number of your MV1 - You can find it on the box, or behind the unit when you remove the battery
3.) Contact Information (Full name, phone number, and Ship-to address)
4.) Email Address
5.) Reported issue/troubleshooting you've tried will help expedite as well

Cheers,
Virgil from GHOST Vapes
Visit our Support KnowledgeBase for the most accurate information about your MV1 and Accessories +GHOST Vapes KnowledgeBase

cosimo

This reinforces my decision to wait for a sale to get one of these, so thanks!
My birthday is 3/20 so every year I buy myself a new vape as a gift to myself, and say "fuck the 420 sales". I was planning on the ghost as my first portable and would have already purchased it but they were out of battery packs and chargers. I'm now off the ledge and patiently awaiting black friday like a reasonable person.

If you've tried pure convection vaporizers before and liked them, i think the MV1 will be a marvelous treat as a first portable. It is a bit big and awkward looking... but I gotta say I love the pistol gun feeling while in my hand and while changing crucibles on the go, oh and well... the flavor and effects compensate it all.

Oh... yeah... I also like the feature and when my friends get it while they're using the unit, they all comment on how nice that feature is because it gives them peace of mind and waiting a couple minutes isn't that big a of deal apparently. And yeah, I definitely want a second unit, too... heck... many more... two to keep at home, two more to keep in the car...

I found this in FAQS

Additional Note:

We have seen units overheat way before expected. We've identified this as a "premature overheat." As noted, a typical session for flower is comprised of 6-8 draws, 8-10 for concentrates. If your MV1 is overheating on for example draw 3 on your 1st session of the day, please write into Customer Care here >>> Create New Support Request

Nice find! It makes me believe now I don't get the overheat warning "prematurely" at all and my unit could just be working as it should which is great news for me! I don't let the unit rest between crucibles nor between draws, so it's like I'm taking 12 to 24 continuous draws before I get the warning.

... when/if you feel the overheat is interrupting your normal process. You can send me a PM here with the information below or you can email us at info@ghostvapes.com with the same info.

To begin the process, please provide the following information:

2.) Serial Number of your MV1 - You can find it on the box, or behind the unit when you remove the battery
4.) Email Address
5.) Reported issue/troubleshooting you've tried will help expedite as well

Cheers,
Virgil from GHOST Vapes
Visit our Support KnowledgeBase for the most accurate information about your MV1 and Accessories +GHOST Vapes KnowledgeBase

Thanks! But not necessary at all. You've got a great product and your website has so much information that's already usefull for troubleshooting any issues. But... since I got your attention, may I ask something: I have never used the app. I've had it since last black friday. Am I missing any important updates or anything like that?

By the way, the manual calibration seems to have worked great for me so far today.

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
two to keep at home, two more to keep in the car...

I have n ever used the app.

I thought the app would be a bit gimmicky...but no it is great for experimenting with different draw speeds vs speed etc.

I do not think normal single person use would hit the overheat, I usually hit for 2x 10-sec sessions on 3x amber for 1 x 25 to 30-second draw to warm up my unit and it will go out on over temp on the second crucible probably 8 long draws before the timeout...like being naughty at school again.:tup:

virgil_GHOST

Company Rep
Company Rep
If you've tried pure convection vaporizers before and liked them, i think the MV1 will be a marvelous treat as a first portable. It is a bit big and awkward looking... but I gotta say I love the pistol gun feeling while in my hand and while changing crucibles on the go, oh and well... the flavor and effects compensate it all.

Oh... yeah... I also like the feature and when my friends get it while they're using the unit, they all comment on how nice that feature is because it gives them peace of mind and waiting a couple minutes isn't that big a of deal apparently. And yeah, I definitely want a second unit, too... heck... many more... two to keep at home, two more to keep in the car...

Nice find! It makes me believe now I don't get the overheat warning "prematurely" at all and my unit could just be working as it should which is great news for me! I don't let the unit rest between crucibles nor between draws, so it's like I'm taking 12 to 24 continuous draws before I get the warning.

Thanks! But not necessary at all. You've got a great product and your website has so much information that's already usefull for troubleshooting any issues. But... since I got your attention, may I ask something: I have never used the app. I've had it since last black friday. Am I missing any important updates or anything like that?

By the way, the manual calibration seems to have worked great for me so far today.

Awesome update @cosimo ... No firmware updates as of yet, the last firmware update with performance updates was very early on and your MV1 comes equipped with if not the most recent update, the one just before it. Other than firmware updates, you can customize the temps for Red 1 and Red 2 using temps within the range of 284°F - 428°F. We're working on an alternative for the app, web-based version, and we hope that works out smoothly so we can release it asap.

@david8613
Still in between shipments. We have to make sure we have stock for warranty replacement situations for batteries which we do. Until we receive more we have to hold off on relisting them on the site.

Cheers,
Virgil from GHOST Vapes

virgil_GHOST

Company Rep
Company Rep
@virgil_GHOST
What about the firmware Ghost was working on late last year? I was told you were working out bugs in the android version and the iOS version was ready to go (shortly before the Apple ban)?

Yep, we put a ton of work in that update, high expectations. The ban came so suddenly and without warning or wiggle room that unfortunately it affected our plans. But before that we were still in beta on the updates and didn't want to release anything until it was ready.

Now with the iOS policy change we've switched courses in an effort to streamline our process going forward, using a web-based format because it's something we have more control over. Can't give out too much detail because at this time there's not much, but we want to release something asap for you guys.

I saw overheating mentioned recently in the thread and I want to make sure you guys had eyes on our support article on the topic. I update the articles often because I think I mentioned it before, with every new customer comes a new way of troubleshooting and with that I fine-tune the overall method. Hope this helps you guys keep getting the most from your herb!

+MV1: Overheating

Cheers,
Virgil from GHOST Vapes

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
@virgil_GHOST : I have this same issue. Mine overheats by hit five or six, from a very cold unit (I live in Maine!) consistently on three yellow bars.

I contacted customer service weeks ago and all I got was a form mail telling me to recalibrate the unit. Which didn’t help at all.

I like the MV1, sort of, and sometimes I even love it. But the overheating problem is ridiculous, and I can’t say I was impressed with the service. I expected something more than being fobbed off with a form mail, especially since I bought the unit directly from Ghost just weeks before. Oh well. Such are the exigencies of portable vaping. :2c:

virgil_GHOST

Company Rep
Company Rep
@virgil_GHOST : I have this same issue. Mine overheats by hit five or six, from a very cold unit (I live in Maine!) consistently on three yellow bars.

I contacted customer service weeks ago and all I got was a form mail telling me to recalibrate the unit. Which didn’t help at all.

I like the MV1, sort of, and sometimes I even love it. But the overheating problem is ridiculous, and I can’t say I was impressed with the service. I expected something more than being fobbed off with a form mail, especially since I bought the unit directly from Ghost just weeks before. Oh well. Such are the exigencies of portable vaping. :2c:

Thank you @mitchgo61 for letting me know. I'll look into that ticket, I'm sure there's an opportunity for us to learn from therein and do better going forward.

We have some great friends in ME, you're in good company =)

Now to address the overheat and premature overheat. To make sure I'm not overlooking anything, did you go through the list in the article I just posted? I think I mentioned it before, I update our support articles very often as new customers write in and I find new ways to troubleshoot old issues.

+MV1: Overheating

Please confirm you've gone through the list in the article and if you're still having trouble, either reply back to this thread, or, if you want expedited assistance, send in a ticket and mention my name (Virgil) so that I can take care of it. Make sure you provide the information below in the ticket. You can also send me a PM here but again, starting a ticket is fastest. New Support Ticket

4.) Reported problem & confirm you've gone through our troubleshooting article

Cheers,
Virgil from GHOST Vapes

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Thank you @mitchgo61 for letting me know. I'll look into that ticket, I'm sure there's an opportunity for us to learn from therein and do better going forward.

We have some great friends in ME, you're in good company =)

Now to address the overheat and premature overheat. To make sure I'm not overlooking anything, did you go through the list in the article I just posted? I think I mentioned it before, I update our support articles very often as new customers write in and I find new ways to troubleshoot old issues.

Please confirm you've gone through the list in the article and if you're still having trouble, either reply back to this thread,
Thanks. Yeah ME is a pretty great place for many things but particularly weed culture. But yeah, today, it’s a little chilly. :)

I did go through all the checklist stuff and re-calibrated lower but I haven’t been able to get on top of the overheating thing, I’ll follow up in email.

martinstraka8282

I've been using mine more again lately after buying other vapes and getting away from it. A well functioning unit like my stealth *knocks wood* really is an awesome vape. Can just load a crucible and be heated in no time. Cleaning is easy and minimal. Battery swap on a dime. 5 year warranty with actually good customer service. I'm probably not the nicest to it by just ripping on red 2, but I am not overly interested in temp stepping manually. Nice product and I'd be stoked to see what an MV2 could look like one day.

ClaretVape

Got an MV1 this week and the heatsink doesn't seem to be working right. I thought it was me just not working it right, but ive switching the heat sink for my friends now to check it and it works fine with his heatsink. Whereas his is now overheating with mine in.

It doesn't appear to go flush

virgil_GHOST

Company Rep
Company Rep
Got an MV1 this week and the heatsink doesn't seem to be working right. I thought it was me just not working it right, but ive switching the heat sink for my friends now to check it and it works fine with his heatsink. Whereas his is now overheating with mine in.

It doesn't appear to go flush
Hi @ClaretVape

You might have also submitted a ticket. Just in case I'll repeat what I wrote here: Thank you for writing in. Great observation although we've never received a report/comparison like this before. At any rate I'm happy to send you a brand new heat sink; hopefully that's the trick.

PM me your shipping info!
Cheers,
Virgil from GHOST Vapes
Visit our Support KnowledgeBase for the most accurate information about your MV1 and Accessories+GHOST Vapes KnowledgeBase

Top Bottom