Discontinued Ghost MV1

badbee

How did you figure out the draw, did you hook it up to a meter?
Yeah, I had my MV1 hooked up to a meter and bench power supply while investigating options for powering it. It pulled about 5.5 A (rounded up above) when pulling max power heating up from cold. That's about 45 W for the heater, very similar to other fast on-demand vapes.

I was hoping to find a cheap corded option for power but it didn't work out. Laptop style power supplies capable of delivering > 5 A and > 8 V are more expensive than I wanted to bother with. My bench supply isn't in a location where I want to use the vape. The easy battery cell replacement hack put a new light on things.

SquirrelMaster

Yeah, I had my MV1 hooked up to a meter and bench power supply while investigating options for powering it. It pulled about 5.5 A (rounded up above) when pulling max power heating up from cold. That's about 45 W for the heater, very similar to other fast on-demand vapes.

I was hoping to find a cheap corded option for power but it didn't work out. Laptop style power supplies capable of delivering > 5 A and > 8 V are more expensive than I wanted to bother with. My bench supply isn't in a location where I want to use the vape. The easy battery cell replacement hack put a new light on things.
I had a brain fart, I remember you were investigating wall power. With a couple decent cells the battery life will be pretty good I imagine and I bet packs will last longer too. That stock battery isn't very good for longevity from the info I read online. It's sad to think the cells weren't just better in the first place considering the cost of the pack.

badbee

That stock battery isn't very good for longevity from the info I read online. It's sad to think the cells weren't just better in the first place considering the cost of the pack.

I think GhostVapes chose low quality cells or their supplier screwed them over. The battery that came with my unit wasn't great from day one and now can only vape 2-3 crucibles before it needs recharge. That's after less than 100 recharge cycles.

I just popped a couple of Samsung 25R's into a battery case I hadn't opened before. The bottom cap came off with just thumbnail pressure. One cell wouldn't shake out and needed to be lightly pried with a screw driver. That caused a small tear in the wrap but those old cells are dead anyway. Total cell replacement time was maybe 1-2 minutes.

I'll report back on how many sessions these 25R's support.

Northbear

If you search for LGGBM261865, towards the top of the results is a YouTube video that says:

"LG M26 (LGGBM261865) might be the worst 18650 cell of all time"

I ordered some Samsung 30Q to replace the LGs. Here is an enhanced picture of the
outer shell. Batteries are tensioned sideways by the yellow colored tabs. It might be
worth the effort to grind down/remove these tabs so the batteries come out easier:
Outer Shell High Contrast.jpg

DryBonesufo

If you search for LGGBM261865, towards the top of the results is a YouTube video that says:

"LG M26 (LGGBM261865) might be the worst 18650 cell of all time"

I ordered some Samsung 30Q to replace the LGs. Here is an enhanced picture of the
outer shell. Batteries are tensioned sideways by the yellow colored tabs. It might be
worth the effort to grind down/remove these tabs so the batteries come out easier:
View attachment 1305
Please do let us know..

Dryboneconvection,
Reactions: LesPlenty

badbee

Batteries are tensioned sideways by the yellow colored tabs.

That's interesting, I've opened three battery housings and none of them have that tensioning strip. I've been working with some old dead early gen batteries that the Vape Critic sent me.

P.S. Bud, if you are still lurking around out there, thanks again for those batteries (and you will always be my favorite vape reviewer).

Northbear

Ah! These tensioning strips and the small retention tabs at the bottom of the case
could be only on later versions of the case.

I had two cases with the retention tabs and one without. The one without was
much easier to remove the batteries, so maybe no tensioning strips in that version?
Looks like they were making it harder for the batteries to come out.

I've removed the retention tabs on the two cases. Probably should have numbered
each case, although in one of my older posts I mentioned the lot numbers of all 3 cases.

Maybe the lot numbers can be used similar to version numbers...

SquirrelMaster

I think GhostVapes chose low quality cells or their supplier screwed them over. The battery that came with my unit wasn't great from day one and now can only vape 2-3 crucibles before it needs recharge. That's after less than 100 recharge cycles.

I just popped a couple of Samsung 25R's into a battery case I hadn't opened before. The bottom cap came off with just thumbnail pressure. One cell wouldn't shake out and needed to be lightly pried with a screw driver. That caused a small tear in the wrap but those old cells are dead anyway. Total cell replacement time was maybe 1-2 minutes.

I'll report back on how many sessions these 25R's support.

Those Samsung's should work really well. I wonder if the extra oomph they have over a 30Q for instance will mean anything inside the MV1. No matter what I'm sure they'll destroy the stock cells.

SquirrelMaster,
Reactions: LesPlenty

badbee

So far the refurbished battery is doing great. You know the difference in performance you get with a fully charged battery over one that's about to go from 2 down to 1 red light? I'm getting that level of improvement with the new cells fully charged over the original cells fully charged. It just smoked (well not literally) that first crucible, some of the best hits I've had off the MV1.

Those original cells probably have a crappy internal resistance and a huge voltage sag under load.

DryBonesufo

So glad to know that the batteries that came with the defective unit, works perfectly fine on my working unit. Looks like I have an extra heat sink and an extra Ghost battery! 🙂
Just got my crucibles from Vapor.com. Gonna ride out the Ghost as long as it can’t last.

Attachments

• F23CD5A5-0BDB-4AA8-870D-60C23F528320.jpeg
    F23CD5A5-0BDB-4AA8-870D-60C23F528320.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

DryBonesufo

So far the refurbished battery is doing great. You know the difference in performance you get with a fully charged battery over one that's about to go from 2 down to 1 red light? I'm getting that level of improvement with the new cells fully charged over the original cells fully charged. It just smoked (well not literally) that first crucible, some of the best hits I've had off the MV1.

Those original cells probably have a crappy internal resistance and a huge voltage sag under load.
Everything easy in terms of the placing the batteries?

Dryboneconvection,

DryBonesufo

No prob. BTW, I just tested... If i stay at red temps, I get a couple less hits than if i started at lower temps... huh, had not noticed that.
Anyhow, make sure your are not unintentionally over-packing the crucible or packing it in a way in which airflow is restricted. Someone pointed out to me that i was filling with more herb than last time we had met and I really wasn't aware of it, so i guess it could have happened to you too.
Are you having issues with resuming a crucible? I can’t get any vapor production and there is still plenty left.

Dryboneconvection,

cosimo

Are you having issues with resuming a crucible? I can’t get any vapor production and there is still plenty left.

Hmmm, i think the same happens to me, but i think it really depends on how many initial hits you took. I can resume a crucible if I only hit it 2-4 times max initially. But yeah, MV1 sucks for vaping AVB and sugary leaves... with other vapes (Fury, Arizer ExtremeQ, Mighty) i can take low temp AVB (or sugary leaves), put it back into them, and still get good vapor from it as long as using higher temps that it had been previosuly exposed to... but can't do that on the MV1... i gave up on trying... maybe will try some more once i run out of fresh herbs

DryBonesufo

Mod Note: Triple post merged. Please don't waste resources.

Hmmm, i think the same happens to me, but i think it really depends on how many initial hits you took. I can resume a crucible if I only hit it 2-4 times max initially. But yeah, MV1 sucks for vaping AVB and sugary leaves... with other vapes (Fury, Arizer ExtremeQ, Mighty) i can take low temp AVB (or sugary leaves), put it back into them, and still get good vapor from it as long as using higher temps that it had been previosuly exposed to... but can't do that on the MV1... i gave up on trying... maybe will try some more once i run out of fresh herbs
This is really unfortunate. It is a convection vape and should resume. I mean it chars but I get no vapor

Hmmm, i think the same happens to me, but i think it really depends on how many initial hits you took. I can resume a crucible if I only hit it 2-4 times max initially. But yeah, MV1 sucks for vaping AVB and sugary leaves... with other vapes (Fury, Arizer ExtremeQ, Mighty) i can take low temp AVB (or sugary leaves), put it back into them, and still get good vapor from it as long as using higher temps that it had been previosuly exposed to... but can't do that on the MV1... i gave up on trying... maybe will try some more once i run out

My friend, after numerous tests and many many herbs. I have found the right way to resume your sessions. So I have started vaping on either level one or two and extract as much as I can ( trust me you can get lifted at level 2) once I feel the vapor thinning I can set it down. YOU will be high. It took me about 45 min to even think about taking another hit. I then start vaping at level 2 to somewhat “prime” the herb. If you don’t get any vapor then it’s best that you turn the crucible the other way, for some reason the Ghost reacts better that way. Once you produce vapor on level 2 I start to vape at level 3. Level 3 is then where I end most of my sessions. I get great cloud production and flavor. After I put the GHOST for bit I use the same temp step that I did previously. Temp stepping the name of the game with this vape if you want to make your crucible last and get the most of the herb.

Last edited by a moderator:

DryBonesufo

Hi I have 2 batteries should I save one til the otherone goes bad or alternate so I always have one charged will one way give me more battery life or maybe not thanks
I am saving mine. There is also a way to take these standard batteries and replace them. Sounds Fairly easy to do from this forum.... IF my technique of working this Ghost the way I want it to for a week or so I may even get another Ghost via Vapor.com where I bought extra crucibles. But I would say save it. I am using a battery from a defective unit.

Dryboneconvection,
Reactions: jerri

DryBonesufo

Mod Note: Posts merged. Please avoid double and triple posting. See rules.

Or you can just do a preheat when you resume or you can fill less in your 1st crucible & do the same for the next & each session will have fresh herb.l

I have tried that but it didn’t work for me... maybe I will try again :)

I have tried that but it didn’t work for me... maybe I will try again :)
I use the temp stepping if I have a somewhat full crucible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dryboneconvection,

DryBonesufo

For those who have replaced the batteries with a different set... how are they doing? Any changes in vapor production on battery level 2 ?

Dryboneconvection,
Reactions: cosimo

badbee

For those who have replaced the batteries with a different set... how are they doing? Any changes in vapor production on battery level 2 ?
I may have judged the cells supplied by Ghost too harshly. My first crucible on the Samsung R25's (all I have on hand) seemed better but the cells don't last any longer than the originals from Ghost, about 3 crucibles. No difference in vapor on level 2 and the typical fast drop off to not much vapor at level 3. That first great crucible may have been a lucky perfect pack or just the MV1 being it's unpredictable self.

I think we've solved the cell replacement issue but overall behavior stays the same. I hope someone else tries this with VTC6's and reports.

Regarding finishing a crucible, or stem, the next day; I find it isn't very satisfying. I've tried resuming in the VapCap, Splinter and MV1 and while there is a bit of a hit left it tastes bad and gives you that slightly headachy old bud high. For me mini sessions are much more pleasant than very widely spaced individual hits. If I want less I try to pack less.

DryBonesufo

Fucking shame there is no v2 on the way... they really hit a home run with this device's ability to deliver a cool MONSTER first draws.
That cooling chamber was remarkably effective.
Try rotating the crucible 180 degrees and you’ll be able to get more monster hits without stirring

Dryboneconvection,
Top Bottom