Fluxer Heaters, induction heaters for Dynavap

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
@Moses Baca are you using a standard or variable power supply? Got one coming Thursday and will be using with standard for starts.

Standard power supply here. Simpler is better, set it and forget it - the coil height adjustment appeals to me more than the VVS.

But of course I'll buy a VVS eventually, in the name of research of course. :science:

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Indeed good newbie Flixers... You are receiving the first of a new generation of IH heaters. I don't want to represent the product Flix as Beta release as I do very much enjoy the new beta release of a new class of VV & handheld capable IH device. Flix with these unique features and being small is big. Celebrate your involvement in the moment :cheers:

Thanks @Copterstyle - great review. I was pretty sure you'd find that re-heater option pretty useful. :tup:

I agree with your conclusion 100% @Moses Baca - First set the coil.

As to the 15mm v. 16mm coil query; generically I'll tell anyone a larger coil is more forgiving when it comes to tuning. Both are more than powerful enough in @mr_cfromcali 's creations! This I can state from my generic IH research with coils recently. There are reasons you might prefer a 15mm coil. I'm going to suggest a '20M tip for instance.

Great review @Pakalolo2U .

Can I suggest maybe that the magnet on the corner of the Flix is just there to inspect the load? Will it pull the cap from the tip? That is what I am missing on all my home made creations. That is something I actively miss regularly. I have a place to park the VC already, but a quick load inspection is always required.

Last edited:

someTooL

Flixer orange 16mm 2mm insert checking in. Initial impressions are very positive. Only ran a couple packs so far but I can attest that this thing is a Beast. Using a Ti tip and both button and inserted methods tried. Did I mention this is a Beast. Nice build and solid as a tank. I like the on/off switch. And yes, I like the pretty LED ring on the bottom...now wheres my lava lamps.

Back to the Beast part. 3-4 second double click on first heat cycle. Nice extraction. 2nd heating ~ 3 second double click. 3rd and final. Around the same. No combustion but a little darker than normal. Definitely would not go past the click in my current configuration.

Maybe I’ll try the coil adjust, maybe not. Probably will as my reaction time slows after a couple loads for sure lol.

I’m running straight power with no variable (yet). So sounds like from the knowledgeable that adjusting the coils down slightly before adding a variable power supply would be my way to go if I decide to adjust?

Edit: And yes, can’t wait for the next batch of Fluxers 👍

Last edited:

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Excellent! Glad it made it to you and is working well for you. Thanks for the write up! :tup:

adjusting the coils down slightly before adding a variable power supply would be my way to go if I decide to adjust?

Yes, if you want it to click a little sooner, lower the coil height to heat the tip sooner and shorten the heating time.

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
I usually wait quite awhile before I start adjusting anything. Sometimes things work pretty well once you get used to how they work. Waiting also helps me identify what I need to adjust.

For example, I'm really enjoying the slower heating time of my Flix vs my FD. It's more relaxed, more forgiving, especially after a few caps when I get easily distracted. Like when I'm watching one of my Lava Lamps.

And yes, I like the pretty LED ring on the bottom...now wheres my lava lamps.

The LED looks great with Lava Lamps!

lavaflix.jpg

someTooL

Definitely agree on the waiting to adjust. I even slapped the rubber feet on to discourage myself. The more I played around the more I appreciated the difference from my other IH.

And, here’s the ringing endorsement. My wife. Has not been impressed by any of my VAS, but she actually said, “That’s cool. I like that one”. Quickly followed by, “So what are you going to do with the other one”. :deadhorse:

My Flix is working well after adjusting the coil downward significantly. There's definitely less margin for error than I thought there would be with the 16mm coil. I'm getting good results stopping as soon as I hear the first click. Going to the second click or slightly past that will take the AVB very dark.

Can always grab a VVPS down the road if I want more flexibility. I really like the look & feel of the unit. It's a very nice device!

I do agree with what others have said about the magnet - it's usable, but doesn't feel fully secure. Minor gripe though.

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hi all,

I am getting ready to list the next batch of Flix in the store, and I wanted to share a few recent developments:

The First Batch Report - So far, so good (mostly). Most of the reports I have received from Flix owners have been positive and it seems like most are working as expected, but there have been a few reports of heaters that experienced issues shortly after first use and needed to be returned for repair. If you receive a new Flix and this happens to you, please send me a PM or email and I will send you a return shipping label, etc. It's a brand new device and while it is based on a proven design, we are still getting to know it and its quirks.

Overall, though, the first reports have been very positive - thank you! - and I am encouraged it's off to a good start. So encouraged, in fact, that yesterday I ordered a second batch of Flix cases*. So this thing had better work well, or I am going to be giving these cases away as gifts for years to come, lol. :haw:

Second Flix Batch Coming Soon: A few key parts arrived today, and I am expecting to receive more next week, so I'll be listing another several dozen Flix in the store later today or tonight. I'll post an update here and also send an email to the Flix subscription list when they are live in the store.

Flix 12V Cigarette Lighter Adapters now in stock: The 12VDC cigarette lighter adapters arrived, and they work great! Use one to power your Flix from a car or boat. (Just use it responsibly, damnit! :myday:) These adapters have 60" (1.5M) cables and are made from thicker 18AWG wire, so they deliver what the Flix needs reliably, and with minimal extra heat. They have the correct 2.5mm x 5.5mm tips, so it's plug and play with the Flix:

12-V-cigarette-cord.jpg

I bought a supply of these to have on hand and have listed them as an add-on option at time of purchase. If you bought a Flix from the first batch and want to purchase one of these now, please send me an email. Due to shipping expenses, I will ship independent, no-heater-included purchases of these adapters to domestic US addresses only. People in the UK, EU, AUS, and NZ who wish to purchase one independent of a Flix will do better to purchase one directly from this linked eBay vendor.

More Flix options: I have expanded the optional "under coil" and base color LED choices for the Flix, and included pictures of each option on the Flix web page: https://fluxerheaters.com/flix . New options include an "all green" option (green base LED + green under coil LEDs) and a "color wheel" base LED that slowly changes color over a 45 second cycle. All of the options are pictured on the Flix page, above, but I'll share the color wheel video below, as it's both mesmerizing and soothing:

Spoiler: The above video shows the base LED slowly changing colors, so don't expect much in the way of plot or character development.

*More Flix in the pipeline: As I said above, the sales from the first batch were strong, so I've gambled a bit and ordered a second batch of cases and switches now, so I'll have them in 4-5 weeks. The new ones will be identical to the current ones, albeit in some additional colors. This means the minor gripes about the magnet location are likely to continue, I'm not changing the case for the second run. The case material isn't very thick beyond the corners so there aren't a lot of other options for placement. It's also difficult to change a design one it is in production, so the magnet is what it is. I'll be very happy if a wonky magnet is the Flix's worst quality. ;)

That's it for now, I believe. I still need to crunch the data for the next batch of Flux Deluxe order confirmation emails, and I hope to get to that tonight as well.

Cheers,
:leaf:

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Still loving my 15mm FD and its still in the configuration as shipped. No change to spacers or coil height and to me it parallels my experience using a three flame (in a triangle) torch lighter which was my favorite before moving to IH.

Great unit.

If I recall you use a titanium tip. With FD at or near full charge, how many seconds approximately, before click?
Thanks.

RustyOldNail,

Stonedbadger

Looking forward to my flix arriving, here in Australia!

Those led options look great @mr_cfromcali

It will be interesting to see what arrives first the flix, or my power supply!

Also hanging out for the Flux deluxe email invite!!! I joined in early September woohoo

TommyDee

Vaporitor
Are there any portable 12V 10A power banks that one could buy to use the Flix on the go?
There are but you have to hunt for the 10A output. They typically disguise themselves as emergency battery jumpers. If and when @mr_cfromcali gets a chance to breath, I'm sure he'll look into some option if people haven't already.

I know I'd be using a home-made DIY cell pack. You can get pretty small with 18350 3S at 1200mah. That makes the battery back about the size of the Flix. And they are capable of 10 amps written right on the eFest cell. Same with hobby Li-Po packs. There you can pick you capacity and they charge with simple hobby chargers. There seems to be a whole new cottage industry just making adapter cables for these types of integrations. Support your local hobby store.

fire78

How does the voltage affect the performance of the Flix exactly? If I lower the voltage, does it take less or more time to heat up? What is happening with this adjustment?

fire78,

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
How does the voltage affect the performance of the Flix exactly? If I lower the voltage, does it take less or more time to heat up? What is happening with this adjustment?

If you lower the voltage, it will take longer to heat up. Reducing power reduces the device's heating efficiency. Your Dynavap extracts differently at different temperatures, so you will get certain flavors at lower temps that are hidden at higher tempts by other flavors. The same is true for extraction efficiency: the Dynavap extracts very efficiently when it is "in the zone", i.e., the interval between the clicks. Lower temps permit you to keep it in that extraction zone longer.

Lower voltage heating isn't a panacea, but it does expand the tools in your Dynavap-vaping tool chest.

One technique that I find useful is to begin at a low voltage - 9V, say - and then step up by a 1V or so each heating cycle until I am done. You sort of sweep the bowl of flavors that way, and you also get nice extraction. I am sure others will have more techniques to share as these get out and into people's hands.

Hopefully that helps?

TommyDee

Vaporitor
By lowering the voltage on an ZVS circuit, you reduce the radio-frequency coupling. This coupling is what causes electrons in the metal to become highly energetic where in reality they are just getting their shit yanked back and forth and they get upset about that and get hot-headed. And everything they run into gets hot too. The second you remove the power, the RF coupling, they settle down immediately and deal with the hell, um, the heat they generated.

So by lowering the voltage, you lower the energy imparted on the VapCap.

Mono Loco

Hi, all.
Please confirm the details below. I am going by what I see in the demo video of the "Natural" unit. I looked, but I did not see these details written anywhere ... just the "Alternate Coil LED" color choices

The default Coil LED is RED.
The default Pwr-ON LED (trim around perimeter base) in BLUE.
When powered ON, the trim looks BLUE.
When the Coil is engaged, the RED Coil LED makes the trim LED look kinda' purple because of the Blue and Red combined (Or ... does the POWER-ON blue LED turn off and get replaced by secondary red LEDs around the base when the heater is engaged?).

I would be interested in a RED coil LED (red for HOT!) but a Green PwrON (base trim) LED. However, I did not see the option to pick-n-choose custom color combos beyond the "factory combinations" listed. I understand that offering Too Many choices can sideline production so "I get it" if custom combos are not an option (at this time). I just want to make sure I wasn't missing the option somewhere. Gotta' respect Henry Ford saying, regarding his Model T, "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants ... so long as it is black."

mr_cfromcali

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
Hi, all.
Please confirm the details below. I am going by what I see in the demo video of the "Natural" unit. I looked, but I did not see these details written anywhere ... just the "Alternate Coil LED" color choices

The default Coil LED is RED.
The default Pwr-ON LED (trim around perimeter base) in BLUE.
When powered ON, the trim looks BLUE.
When the Coil is engaged, the RED Coil LED makes the trim LED look kinda' purple because of the Blue and Red combined (Or ... does the POWER-ON blue LED turn off and get replaced by secondary red LEDs around the base when the heater is engaged?).

This is correct. In the default configuration there is a single bi-color blue/red LED, similar to the FD, as well as the under-the-coil LEDs, also similar to the FD. It behaves as you describe above. Sorry for not plainly stating the default LED configuration. I'll add that info the next time I am working on the site. :nod:

I would be interested in a RED coil LED (red for HOT!) but a Green PwrON (base trim) LED. However, I did not see the option to pick-n-choose custom color combos beyond the "factory combinations" listed. I understand that offering Too Many choices can sideline production so "I get it" if custom combos are not an option (at this time). I just want to make sure I wasn't missing the option somewhere. Gotta' respect Henry Ford saying, regarding his Model T, "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants ... so long as it is black."

I can certainly do that if you want - it would use the same Red/Green LED as I use in the Flux Deluxe instead of the Blue/Red LED the Flix uses by default. Just send me a PM and we can take it from there. FWIW, I did consider offering this as an option when I expanded the LED choices, but I wasn't sure how popular that combo would be. I already have a lot of post-purchases options to consider, so I left this option off the final list, but I can certainly do this if you want. I'll add it to the store the next time I'm making edits there.

To everyone: If you want a particular configuration but don't see it on the menu, please ask. I'm usually open to variations of existing colors, and the worst I'll do is say is "no".

Top Bottom