• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Firewood Vaporizer

Unklmark68

Could have been so very easily avoided though. After reading through the bits so far, I’m definitely taking myself out of group B. Not interested in this at all. My wallet is thankful!

But really though, this seems like such an enormous step-back from what the 7 is. I dare say I’m even disappointed.
Battery was the final reason I took myself off the list. I was in group D. Not too hyped on the capsules either. Heater and setup doesn't seem to be much improved at all, and since I have 2 FW7's already, I'm not blowing $$ on a FW7.5

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
By not having a battery pack, and just using batteries like we’ve been using them for the past decade.
Ah. Thought you meant something more recent. Well, we've all already hashed out our ideas about why this happened and our respective feelings about it, so nothing more to say there. But regardless of our position on that, at least we've got our FW7s to fall back on.:tup:

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Ah. Thought you meant something more recent. Well, we've all already hashed out our ideas about why this happened and our respective feelings about it, so nothing more to say there. But regardless of our position on that, at least we've got our FW7s to fall back on.:tup:
You are very much correct! The 7 is one of my favourites! Only recently replaced by the toad.

moondog

You are very much correct! The 7 is one of my favourites! Only recently replaced by the toad.
Well, I had never heard of the Toad or any of Dan's other devices (having been blinded to all other vapes by my FW7), but having checked out the Toad and Nomad 2 I now have the worst V.A.S. I've had in many years. My god, those things are stunning!

MMJane

There was a problem with the FW 4 when it was originally released, iirc. The early adopters had to send them in and have them repaired. Marc fixed them and sent them back out.

if I gave up on him and the vape then, I wouldn’t be here now (having sent my check in, in group A, awaiting shipping)

I stand by his design decisions.

dutz3013

Mine got shipped today, I hope battery issue was solved lol
Having received my FW8 before the "recall", I got my replacement battery yesterday.

Yes, there are shortcomings to a "manufacturer-only battery replacement system" (I avoided them like the plague after dealing with Grasshopper), but let's keep in mind that Marc is dealing with this issue while also rolling out a highly-anticipated new device. Hopefully, once things settle down - if they ever do given how the FW has taken off - getting battery packs and other parts will be easier/quicker.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to resuming "testing" the FW8.

Marc is a great guy and the Firewood 8 fucks hard thus far from my experiences. I am the first firewood 8 owner and the user who discovered the issue with the battery packs. One of my two battery packs instantly short circuited (in a safe way) because extra solder was applied. It was overapplied on one of the pads causing it to bulge up enough pushing into the battery which caused a short circuit and all of the current passed through the positive lead to the battery which is a nickel strip. The strip got hot enough to melt and break the circuit but the nickel strip was perfectly intact.

This issue does not affect all batteries, as I was using one battery with no issue. As soon as I reported this issue, Marc drove directly to me to pick up the battery pack. Marc is intelligent and cares about his product and end users. He is doing the total battery recall be safe, inspect the batteries, and ensure there are no further issues. I prefer this type of maker than one who sweeps issues like this under the rug and hopes for the best.

From my usage of the firewood 8 thus far, the unit performs extremely well, I think the capsules are an improvement over the firewood7 oven (way easier to clean is huge) The knob you turn to access the oven is a great design. I wouldn't skip out on the firewood 8..

Lyonafa

Marc is a great guy and the Firewood 8 fucks hard thus far from my experiences. I am the first firewood 8 owner and the user who discovered the issue with the battery packs. One of my two battery packs instantly short circuited (in a safe way) because extra solder was applied. It was overapplied on one of the pads causing it to bulge up enough pushing into the battery which caused a short circuit and all of the current passed through the positive lead to the battery which is a nickel strip. The strip got hot enough to melt and break the circuit but the nickel strip was perfectly intact.

This issue does not affect all batteries, as I was using one battery with no issue. As soon as I reported this issue, Marc drove directly to me to pick up the battery pack. Marc is intelligent and cares about his product and end users. He is doing the total battery recall be safe, inspect the batteries, and ensure there are no further issues. I prefer this type of maker than one who sweeps issues like this under the rug and hopes for the best.

From my usage of the firewood 8 thus far, the unit performs extremely well, I think the capsules are an improvement over the firewood7 oven (way easier to clean is huge) The knob you turn to access the oven is a great design. I wouldn't skip out on the firewood 8..
Ofc it's a great device. No doubt about it.
Even if he have reasons to change into fix batteries, the ending is in my case a lost of mobility. I love moving around with my device without paying intention to charging

hippogriff

Battery was the final reason I took myself off the list. I was in group D. Not too hyped on the capsules either. Heater and setup doesn't seem to be much improved at all, and since I have 2 FW7's already, I'm not blowing $$ on a FW7.5
Sounds like a reasonable choice considering what you already have, waiting on a prettier FW. But not sure what you are expecting on the heater? The hybrid heater was a huge leap forward, all the benefits of convection and conduction vapes w none of the drawbacks, what changes would you want to see? More power really isn’t necessary, would just work a little faster at the expense of battery life.

Marc coulda sold FW7s for many more years, BUT the more he made, the more likely the loose 18650 problem would tank his small business, it only takes one litigious user. The new battery pack is replaceable, which is a step up from other popular vapes in the same $ range. The same two LGs were all I needed for two years of DDing my FW7, I expect starting with two battery packs will easily last me till FW9. And the modular design means there may be bigger batteries in the future to suit max-users. USB-C and on-board charging are nice upgrades, too - that’s the new standard across many devices, I just replaced my 18650 flashlight and don’t think I’ll miss the Nitecore rituals.

But, yeah, Group B, here, and the perpendicular grain & cherry wood for the chamber is my biggest issue. Which isn’t much of an issue, w upgraded features not taking up more space in my pocket.

Hey, Group A folks! What about just leaving a capsule in the chamber and loading FW7-style?

dieezus

The new battery pack is replaceable, which is a step up from other popular vapes in the same $ range. And the modular design means there may be bigger batteries in the future to suit max-users. USB-C and on-board charging are nice upgrades, too - that’s the new standard across many devices, I just replaced my 18650 flashlight and don’t think I’ll miss the Nitecore rituals.

Hey, Group A folks! What about just leaving a capsule in the chamber and loading FW7-style?
It's a viable option, but I honestly love the pods now. I was hesitant at first, but being able to hot-swap flower bowls is pretty convenient. I ordered the early adopters + an additional set of pods so I have 7 pods in total.

Honestly great point about the modularity, larger batteries, or even a passthrough adapter would be great things to see going forward. Much like you I just ran two different 18650s the entire lifecycle of my FW7.

Him including FW7-esque mouthpiece adapters in with the FW8 relieved almost all of my initial concerns with the FW8.

Initial Thoughts:
  1. I love that Marc included the FW7-Esque mouthpiece adapter.
  2. I have come around to the pod system, you can keep a single pod in the FW8 to kind of imitate the FW7 experience but I honestly think that's a waste of the pod system. The little pod holders are sleek and small, you can also just dump the capsule you have within the fw8 into the holder and dump a full pre-packed capsule into the oven.
    1. However, sometimes the caps can be hard to take out of the oven to the point where you have to tweezer them out. I believe it is due to the resin cooling down and hardening which sits between the mouthpiece inlet and the bottom of the capsules.
  3. I love the look of the 8, I did at the announcement image too. It matches the bespoke handmade nature that I think the FW brand encapsulates.
  4. The new oven screw is wayyyyyy easier to use than the FW7 slides. It's also as smooth as silk if you grease the part of the oven above the threads. I like to think I am in the 99th percentile when it comes to FW7 maintenance, but Jesus is my FW7 hard to disassemble since the slides are so tight. Also makes checking the toastiness of the flower easier.
  5. The battery issue, I obviously would have preferred to just be able to hot-swap 18650s. But the FW8 batteries are fine in my opinion. I ran two Molicel p26as the entire lifespan of my FW7. I currently have two batteries with a third on the way as a bonus for the whole battery recall.
  6. The airflow is better in my opinion. Looking at the pictures you can tell that the inlets are bigger. The new oven airflow design also adds to it.
  7. Vapor wise it's what you'd expect when coming from the FW7.
I think the 8 is a nice iteration of the Firewood line. Natively I'm definitely grabbing the 8 over the 7. Through glass, I still run the 7 since it has a WPA and I don't like the universal adapters.

Honestly though, If you have a 7 and are on a budget I'd maybe skip it unless something in my post really jumps out to you as a positive.

The 7 is running a newenglandwoodworks stem with a Simrell Stinger.
The 8 is running a MH glass stem and a MH revolve.

Hopkins3030

Jesus is my FW7 hard to disassemble since the slides are so tight.

I periodically will run some of the beeswax/mineral oil I got with my Dynavap into the wood of my FW7 when it starts feeling a little dry from the heat of the oven... I put a BB (or smaller) sized dollop into the slide rail channels and run the lid or mouthpiece in & out a couple of times to distribute... Mine slide like butter on the griddle 😃👍... Bee careful to use an extremely small amount at first or you may find that they slide TOO well! 🧈

I actually ran out and had to re-up a few months ago, here's the link to what I got from Amazon...

Interstate WoodWorks Beeswax... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWN1VWD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

dieezus

I periodically will run some of the beeswax/mineral oil I got with my Dynavap into the wood of my FW7 when it starts feeling a little dry from the heat of the oven... I put a BB (or smaller) sized dollop into the slide rail channels and run the lid or mouthpiece in & out a couple of times to distribute... Mine slide like butter on the griddle 😃👍... Bee careful to use an extremely small amount at first or you may find that they slide TOO well! 🧈

I actually ran out and had to re-up a few months ago, here's the link to what I got from Amazon...

Interstate WoodWorks Beeswax... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PWN1VWD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I keep my wood greased with the Dyna grease too lol, I think it's just the fit. My MP slide especially has a little too tight of a tolerance which makes it hard to slide. You can see it in my above picture with how tight the MP slide fits.

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
If I knew nothing about the FW line, and you showed me the above pic, or any side by side comparison, based on LOOKS ALONE, I would assume the FW8 was a prototype or earlier iteration, and the FW7 was the finished product. Keep waiting for the FW8 to visually grow on me, hasn’t happened yet though.

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies
Based on LOOKS ALONE, I would assume the FW8 was a prototype or earlier iteration, and the FW7 was the finished product.
Yeah, I don’t really get why Marc didn’t just leave an extra millimeter or two of wood on the battery box to keep the end flush with the main unit. A little thing that visually would feel so much nicer.

Last edited:

moondog

If I knew nothing about the FW line, and you showed me the above pic, or any side by side comparison, based on LOOKS ALONE, I would assume the FW8 was a prototype or earlier iteration, and the FW7 was the finished product.

Yeah, I don’t really get why Marc didn’t just leave an extra millimeter or two of wood on the battery box to keep the end flush with the main unit. A tiny thing that visually would feel so much nicer.

Guess we shouldn't have hounded him to hurry up and release the damn thing already. He would have had time to finish it. :lol:

I've got my new battery charged up and this evening I will be back to learning the finer points FW8 vapetronics.

AJS

Calm Consistency
If I knew nothing about the FW line, and you showed me the above pic, or any side by side comparison, based on LOOKS ALONE, I would assume the FW8 was a prototype or earlier iteration, and the FW7 was the finished product. Keep waiting for the FW8 to visually grow on me, hasn’t happened yet though.
I am not familiar with the lineup, and these were my exact thoughts :lol:
Only fw I've seen was fw5 and it reminded me of a stapler.

Sure looks interesting though!

Vap O matic

Hello, the ceramic oven on my FW7 looks pretty dirty. I have already tried heating up (cleaning 5 clicks) and iso. Unfortunately without success.

Do you have any further tips for cleaning the ceramic oven?

Vap O matic,
Reactions: Highonu

moondog

Marc is a great guy...

Why does this not surprise me?

As soon as I reported this issue, Marc drove directly to me to pick up the battery pack. Marc is intelligent and cares about his product and end users. He is doing the total battery recall be safe, inspect the batteries, and ensure there are no further issues. I prefer this type of maker than one who sweeps issues like this under the rug and hopes for the best.

Yes; hard to imagine Mr. Pax doing something like that. (Not ragging on the Pax specifically. It's just the first big vape manufacturer I thought of.)

I think the capsules are an improvement over the firewood7 oven (way easier to clean is huge) The knob you turn to access the oven is a great design.

Agreed on both counts. Last evening I loaded 2 capsules; one with White Widow for some TV viewing and a second with my bedtime CBD flower cocktail. Come bedtime I could just dump the former and drop in the latter in a couple of seconds. A welcome convenience when my bed is calling so loudly. And the capsules are indeed SO much easier to clean than the 7's chamber (which was pretty easy to clean itself).

...the Firewood 8 fucks hard thus far from my experiences.

Can confirm!! Using basically the same temp presets as with my FW7, I have found that if I make my draws a little bit longer with the FW8, I get very satisfying clouds and VERY satisfying effects. Will continue to dial things in and expect only more happiness.

Marc coulda sold FW7s for many more years, BUT the more he made, the more likely the loose 18650 problem would tank his small business, it only takes one litigious user. The new battery pack is replaceable, which is a step up from other popular vapes in the same $ range. The same two LGs were all I needed for two years of DDing my FW7, I expect starting with two battery packs will easily last me till FW9. And the modular design means there may be bigger batteries in the future to suit max-users. USB-C and on-board charging are nice upgrades, too - that’s the new standard across many devices, I just replaced my 18650 flashlight and don’t think I’ll miss the Nitecore rituals.

Agreed on all counts.

I think it's certainly doable if you've got steadier hands than me. But I'd be nervous about dropping flower between the outer side of the capsule and the inner side of the chamber.

Initial Thoughts:
  1. I love that Marc included the FW7-Esque mouthpiece adapter.
  2. I have come around to the pod system, you can keep a single pod in the FW8 to kind of imitate the FW7 experience but I honestly think that's a waste of the pod system. The little pod holders are sleek and small, you can also just dump the capsule you have within the fw8 into the holder and dump a full pre-packed capsule into the oven.
    1. However, sometimes the caps can be hard to take out of the oven to the point where you have to tweezer them out. I believe it is due to the resin cooling down and hardening which sits between the mouthpiece inlet and the bottom of the capsules.
  3. I love the look of the 8, I did at the announcement image too. It matches the bespoke handmade nature that I think the FW brand encapsulates.
  4. The new oven screw is wayyyyyy easier to use than the FW7 slides. It's also as smooth as silk if you grease the part of the oven above the threads. I like to think I am in the 99th percentile when it comes to FW7 maintenance, but Jesus is my FW7 hard to disassemble since the slides are so tight. Also makes checking the toastiness of the flower easier.
  5. The battery issue, I obviously would have preferred to just be able to hot-swap 18650s. But the FW8 batteries are fine in my opinion. I ran two Molicel p26as the entire lifespan of my FW7. I currently have two batteries with a third on the way as a bonus for the whole battery recall.
  6. The airflow is better in my opinion. Looking at the pictures you can tell that the inlets are bigger. The new oven airflow design also adds to it.
  7. Vapor wise it's what you'd expect when coming from the FW7.
I think the 8 is a nice iteration of the Firewood line. Natively I'm definitely grabbing the 8 over the 7. Through glass, I still run the 7 since it has a WPA and I don't like the universal adapters.

An excellent summary!:tup:

So far, I haven't had any issues with capsules being hard to remove from the oven. Will keep an eye on it.

I hadn't thought of it before you mentioned it, but yes, the oven lid is way easier for my hands than the sliding cover of the FW7.

I also agree about the airflow. It does seem to be an easier draw.

cx714 said:
"Yeah, I don’t really get why Marc didn’t just leave an extra millimeter or two of wood on the battery box to keep the end flush with the main unit. A tiny thing that visually would feel so much nicer."

It occurred to me last night why he might have done this: If the battery compartment extended that extra little bit to be flush, the tip of my big nose would be banging into it when I use the FW8 natively.:rofl::rofl:

Corvoed

Cannabis Crusader
Yes; hard to imagine Mr. Pax doing something like that. (Not ragging on the Pax specifically. It's just the first big vape manufacturer I thought of.)
What do you mean? If there's one thing that Pax has, it's amazing CS.

I'm not a pax lover, but back in 2018 I sent an email to them complaining that my pax3 wasn't notifying me that it reached temp (normally the light will stop blinking and turn bright green, and you get a vibration buzz when it hits the temp). It still would reach the temp (I checked with a infrared thermometer), just not indicate when it reached temp. They didn't ask for any proof, just my address and my desired color for the free replacement they sent out. Didn't even ask for my old one back.

Again, not a pax lover, but I just thought that statement was unfair to them.

moondog

I'm not a pax lover, but back in 2018 I sent an email to them complaining that my pax3 wasn't notifying me that it reached temp (normally the light will stop blinking and turn bright green, and you get a vibration buzz when it hits the temp). It still would reach the temp (I checked with a infrared thermometer), just not indicate when it reached temp. They didn't ask for any proof, just my address and my desired color for the free replacement they sent out. Didn't even ask for my old one back.

As I said in my post, Pax was just the first name I thought of. I remembered hearing some complaints on their responsiveness back in early days, but my characterization certainly seems to be unfair based on your experience. If I had stopped to think about it I could have used any one of a few vape companies that I've dealt with in the past. (miVape, Grasshopper - yeah, I REALLY should have said "Grasshopper" in my post). But the question remains: Did they drive to your house? ;) :)

hippogriff

To be extra fair, this also illustrates how much value there is in the small-batch vape makers. Pax’s are mass produced (in China?) and individual units are cheap to the company. Most of the cost of the Pax is for the bigger company behind it, and replacing faulty units is way easier/cheaper than diagnosing/repairing anything.

If Firewoods were made this way (Fireplastics? Fireextrusions?) they’d be more expensive w cheaper materials and CS would be streamlined to replace faulty units.

We get a lot w Firewoods, including more value in materials and parts, so it’s a bigger deal that Marc responds to customer issues w more detail and more options than a big company.

Also, to be less fair and more biased, conduction-only vapes are a compromise I’m glad I don’t have to make!

Corvoed

Cannabis Crusader
To be extra fair, this also illustrates how much value there is in the small-batch vape makers. Pax’s are mass produced (in China?) and individual units are cheap to the company. Most of the cost of the Pax is for the bigger company behind it, and replacing faulty units is way easier/cheaper than diagnosing/repairing anything.

If Firewoods were made this way (Fireplastics? Fireextrusions?) they’d be more expensive w cheaper materials and CS would be streamlined to replace faulty units.

We get a lot w Firewoods, including more value in materials and parts, so it’s a bigger deal that Marc responds to customer issues w more detail and more options than a big company.

Also, to be less fair and more biased, conduction-only vapes are a compromise I’m glad I don’t have to make!
Yeah, not like I disagree or anything. I've long since sold my Pax's for what you can assume are obvious reasons. My only gripe with the original statement I replied to was the assumption that Pax doesn't have great CS, when they go pretty beyond imo.

Having Marc drive directly to your house to pick up a faulty battery pack is certainly neat (and fairly unrealistic for most of us lol), but getting a free replacement unit while still getting to keep the old one and not having to provide any proof isn't too shabby if you ask me. Ignoring the actual product itself

moondog

My only gripe with the original statement I replied to was the assumption that Pax doesn't have great CS, when they go pretty beyond imo.

To be clear, my original statement was referencing the experience of friends who had less than stellar experiences back when Pax first came out. Based on your experience, Pax clearly upped it's game. Good on them and bad on me for assuming they hadn't.

Having Marc drive directly to your house to pick up a faulty battery pack is certainly neat (and fairly unrealistic for most of us lol),

Yeah, if he did that for all of them Groups D-H would get old and grey (older and greyer?) waiting for theirs.

but getting a free replacement unit while still getting to keep the old one and not having to provide any proof isn't too shabby if you ask me.

Agreed. And in a way, that's what we're getting from Marc as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom