Firewood Vaporizer

Traveler

Considering that air moves over the battery/circuits. A more snuggly fit battery very well could restrict, or conversely, un-restrict the airflow.
I wonder if the bigger battery opened up the wood a bit letting more air in on the bowl side. Like a doorstop

Traveler,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Uh... I think the battery is the issue. Tried a newer VTC6 I had laying around that I was using in the Pico.

- It fit in the device very snugly but still workable
- It changed the draw restriction a bit
- The heater buzz was almost INSTANT after the preset buzzes
- I was getting great hits out the gate with a 400 F preset, and now I'm getting charring with the same technique I perfected earlier.

I can't believe it, but I think the battery may have just been near it's death or old or something. Going to test more tonight but that was a very, very, very promising 2 sessions, with 4 buzzes of battery left.

Ah I don't know why I didn't think of asking your battery, sounds like a bad battery then for sure! Can lower your temps now too??

Shit Snacks,

Tombudster

I wonder if the bigger battery opened up the wood a bit letting more air in on the bowl side. Like a doorstop
It's funny you say that, my FW7 used to creak a bit with the HG2, now it's rock solid and doesn't have any play at all.

Ah I don't know why I didn't think of asking your battery, sounds like a bad battery then for sure! Can lower your temps now too??
Going to test it out more shortly. After going through the 7 bowls earlier today I needed a nap :D

Edit: Tested out lower temps and while I didn't get a huge hit, I got 2 decent sized rips at the lowest base preset. I wasn't that impressed still and bumped it up to 380 F (My 2 preset), and had a nice session finishing it all out. Still have 4 buzzes of battery left after 3 bowls. Compare that to earlier when I was getting almost nothing without riding on the button after the buzz for about 10 seconds. My battery would have been at 2-3 buzzes at this point.

I really do think the battery may have been the problem. I had an issue with these batteries in the Pico with battery sag when in use, and I can almost guarantee that is what's happening here. I just think these are older batteries (which they are), and not an issue with the battery model itself.

The biggest difference to me was how much quicker it got to the heatup buzz. If this whole issue was just old batteries I'm gonna go insane - I usually catch stuff like this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 66001

I really do think the battery may have been the problem.
11 Second heatup time to buzz from cold
27 second inhale, going from slow to fast, cigar puffing for the first 7 seconds, exhaling at intervals throughout while continuing to hold the power button
Next round
8 second heatup time to buzz
25 second inhale, this time inhaling faster to prevent charring
Third round
6 second heatup time to buzz
20 second inhale - RIP

Well let's hope, because that sequencing of heat up times looks more like a workout routine then a vape session, lol! 💪 😉

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
I am very curious :hmm:to know if covering the openings behind the battery will change the air flow and how the FW7 will behave.
Will I be the one to try it first? :brow: when I have mine ...

dzoinp,

Chingas

I am very curious :hmm:to know if covering the openings behind the battery will change the air flow and how the FW7 will behave.
Will I be the one to try it first? :brow: when I have mine ...
Nah, I already weirded out doing that with tape. I came to realize that just using the FW7 how it is supposed to be used is best. Great vape. My vapes these days are this, Vapbong & Minivap. Pretty elite company imho.

Tombudster

Alright, I'm so sure that it was the batteries that I just dropped $80 on batteries to test it out. I got 4 Molicel 26A, 4 VTC5A, and 4 20S. I have other vapes that use 18650 so I decided it was time to upgrade them for a little bit of a punch.

I am getting some WILD results with the new battery. Pretty much exactly what I expected, and it's sort of insane. My eyes are watering from how dense and thick some of the vapor is. Going to test some more out when I get the new batteries on Tuesday, and report back some more.

One thing that worries me is how hot my unit gets though, is there any way to cool it a little bit quicker without worrying about damaging the wood or is it alright to just toss it somewhere. The bottom of the unit gets almost too hot to touch.

Last edited:

Momor

One thing that worries me is how hot my unit gets though, is there any way to cool it a little bit quicker without worrying about damaging the wood or is it alright to just toss it somewhere. The bottom of the unit gets almost too hot to touch
I think that you can't do much more than drawing fresh air in between hits to cool a bit the oven part.

pudgewack

Has anyone experience difficulties removing the battery cover? Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening?

I have been using the FW7 for a couple months. It has performed flawlessly. The battery cover and mouth piece slide (both the OG and cooling) would stay in place, but were easily removable.

Over the past two weeks, my battery cover has become difficult to remove. It appears to be too tight to easily slide out. I can eventually get it out, but it takes an uncomfortable amount of force to remove. Heating the FW7 up for 20 seconds makes it easier. I feel the mouth piece slide is also more difficult to remove, but I don't remove that as frequently as the batter cover.

I live in the midwest and the weather has finally switched over to winter weather. This weather change coincides with this issue. Thinking the temp and humidity changes are to blame. I do use the vape outside daily, but it is only outside for ten minutes (tops) per session. The rest of the time it is stored indoors.

Curious is anyone else is experiencing this and if there is something I can do to make the battery cover slide over more easily,

pudgewack,
Reactions: Vaporware

Ripstar

Has anyone experience difficulties removing the battery cover? Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening?

I have been using the FW7 for a couple months. It has performed flawlessly. The battery cover and mouth piece slide (both the OG and cooling) would stay in place, but were easily removable.

Over the past two weeks, my battery cover has become difficult to remove. It appears to be too tight to easily slide out. I can eventually get it out, but it takes an uncomfortable amount of force to remove. Heating the FW7 up for 20 seconds makes it easier. I feel the mouth piece slide is also more difficult to remove, but I don't remove that as frequently as the batter cover.

I live in the midwest and the weather has finally switched over to winter weather. This weather change coincides with this issue. Thinking the temp and humidity changes are to blame. I do use the vape outside daily, but it is only outside for ten minutes (tops) per session. The rest of the time it is stored indoors.

Curious is anyone else is experiencing this and if there is something I can do to make the battery cover slide over more easily,
I had the same thing going on. I used a small metal pick and hit it with a cylinder sander like below. Go slow to make sure not to get too crazy.
Sanding tool kit

Ripstar,
Reactions: Traveler

Tombudster

I am having a lot of fun now that the device is working better. I have those new batteries out for delivery today and I am pumped to get some brand new fresh higher amp batteries in there. Also do I have insane hearing or does the FW7 make little clicking noises when it's heating up?

Traveler

I am having a lot of fun now that the device is working better. I have those new batteries out for delivery today and I am pumped to get some brand new fresh higher amp batteries in there. Also do I have insane hearing or does the FW7 make little clicking noises when it's heating up?
I hear it too 8). Its the sound of the ceramic and metal heating up Im guessing. Kind of sounds the way a coiled wax atomizer sounds when dry-firing to clean.
as a side effect, I have been Pavlov'd and now feel a little extra serotonin being released when I hear it haha

Vaporware

I have heard a sound like a creaking metal heater warming up, but holding it near my head I also hear a constant even little ticking sound that I believe indicates a PWM approach to temperature control. Turning the temp down did seem to slow the pulses, so I’m pretty sure that’s what’s going on.

Glad to hear it was just battery issues for you too @Tombudster ! I should also give an update about my own battery issues.

I managed to try a Molicel P26A again, and I realized what screwed me up before. As any of these batteries drain they provide less power at once, so it heats slower (and vibrates less strongly). The P26A at full charge seems to provide more at once than the VTC6 and also maintains that super fast heating longer, but they do both drop off.

I was failing to sufficiently adjust my pre-heat time and draw speed/length as the batteries drained, especially with the VTC6.

I would still consider the P26A better than the VTC6 here (both were new) so I still want to figure out how to use the Molicels without worrying I won’t be able to get them out again, but I am also getting good results with the VTC6s now. :)

Tombudster

I have heard a sound like a creaking metal heater warming up, but holding it near my head I also hear a constant even little ticking sound that I believe indicates a PWM approach to temperature control. Turning the temp down did seem to slow the pulses, so I’m pretty sure that’s what’s going on.

Glad to hear it was just battery issues for you too @Tombudster ! I should also give an update about my own battery issues.

I managed to try a Molicel P26A again, and I realized what screwed me up before. As any of these batteries drain they provide less power at once, so it heats slower (and vibrates less strongly). The P26A at full charge seems to provide more at once than the VTC6 and also maintains that super fast heating longer, but they do both drop off.

I was failing to sufficiently adjust my pre-heat time and draw speed/length as the batteries drained, especially with the VTC6.

I would still consider the P26A better than the VTC6 here (both were new) so I still want to figure out how to use the Molicels without worrying I won’t be able to get them out again, but I am also getting good results with the VTC6s now. :)

Not good to hear about the Molicel being tight, but I have other vapes I can toss the 18650's into. I can't wait to get the VTC5A and 20S in. the VTC6 has been great to me so far, and I only find that I need to change the battery around 2 vibrates.

Tombudster,

Traveler

I havnt heard the constant ticking. At least its not as loud as the tiny might whine - that thing is soooo loud lol (always made me nervous for some illogical reason)

Vaporware

Not good to hear about the Molicel being tight, but I have other vapes I can toss the 18650's into. I can't wait to get the VTC5A and 20S in. the VTC6 has been great to me so far, and I only find that I need to change the battery around 2 vibrates.

Other people are using them successfully, so I’m not sure if my batteries are slightly larger than most of thr, if my FW7 needs a little extra sanding somewhere, or if it just needs a bit of use to loosen it up.

The second time I used a P26A I put a little ribbon under it to help pull it out (and I’m glad I did because it was still a bit hard to remove), but it’s even a little tighter and the ribbon got mangled pretty quickly so it’s not a long term solution.

If you start to put one in and it seems tight, I would put a ribbon under it to test and make sure you can get it out without too much trouble, but hopefully you won’t have any problems to begin with. :)

I havnt heard the constant ticking. At least its not as loud as the tiny might whine - that thing is soooo loud lol (always made me nervous for some illogical reason)

It’s not loud, and I didn’t even notice it at first, but if you hold it near your ear while heating you may be able to hear it. I’m glad it’s not like the TM’s sound too!

The video I saw demonstrating that noise may have made it sound worse than it is, but you almost have to be trying to hear the little sounds from the FW7.

Vaporware,
Reactions: Traveler

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Although my hearing isn't fantastic, I have to really struggle to hear anything coming out of the FW - not to keep doing direct comparisons, but it is not even remotely close to the TM buzz which is significantly louder to me.

What I have heard from the FW is just a feint ticking/buzz type thing, and I only hear it occasionally, like when its dead quiet.

Ripstar

Although my hearing isn't fantastic, I have to really struggle to hear anything coming out of the FW - not to keep doing direct comparisons, but it is not even remotely close to the TM buzz which is significantly louder to me.

What I have heard from the FW is just a feint ticking/buzz type thing, and I only hear it occasionally, like when its dead quiet.
Yep, same here. I have yet to hear one noise come out of it. The TM on the other hand, is ridiculously loud.

Traveler

Other people are using them successfully, so I’m not sure if my batteries are slightly larger than most of thr, if my FW7 needs a little extra sanding somewhere, or if it just needs a bit of use to loosen it up
you can also try sanding down the battery wrap. Its what i finally did with a VCT 6 that was too fat, I lightly sanded the battery (only touching the wrap itself) a bit and now it works just fine. I didnt even really have to sand the bottom wrap end (luckily - Im sure this would lead to the wrap becoming really bad and prone to tearing)

Traveler,

Vaporware

you can also try sanding down the battery wrap. Its what i finally did with a VCT 6 that was too fat, I lightly sanded the battery (only touching the wrap itself) a bit and now it works just fine. I didnt even really have to sand the bottom wrap end (luckily - Im sure this would lead to the wrap becoming really bad and prone to tearing)

Yeah, I would worry about weakening the wrap by doing that so I’ll keep looking at other options, but that’s good to know anyway! If your wraps start to tear on you (or if they work well long term), please update us! :)

Traveler

Yeah, I would worry about weakening the wrap by doing that so I’ll keep looking at other options, but that’s good to know anyway! If your wraps start to tear on you (or if they work well long term), please update us! :)
I used to have some clear battery wraps from illumn that were very thin (years ago I was a nic vaper and a couple of the wood box mods had really tight compartments and the clear wraps worked perfectly in them). I might grab a 10 pack and try them for this application. The best thing about them is that you can write whatever you want (numbers-dates-designations-etc.) on the batt with a sharpie and then clear wrap it and its set

Traveler,

Kinick23

Anyone have issues with some of the commands not responding ? I just got it today and started updating the presets. Everything was working as stated in the quick setup when I updating temps for preset 1 and 2 but now the only thing that responds is changing preset with a quick click and hold or just straight holding down to engage heater. If I try one click for battery, 2 clicks to check current preset, 3 clicks to check temp or 4 clicks to change preset temps none are responding and same result after changing battery.

Kinick23,

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
@Kinick23 You may wanna email Marc on that one.... don't sound right

That does remind me though, I would suggest others spend some time with the OEM presets before going in and messing with the settings. When I first got mine my first couple bowls had me convinced my settings weren't where I would want them, but after getting familiar with it I actually find them to be basically perfect points (for my preferences - not saying everybody will agree) and never bothered to change them. Typically I ride level 2 until Im just about done with vapor and then bump to 3 till no more vapor at all.

I assume its because I mostly use on-demand convection, just sorta had to get used to the new feel

Top Bottom