Firewood Vaporizer

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
My new FW7 is here and looking great!

PXL-20201214-212917669.jpg

PXL-20201214-213013030.jpg

With my purple O'Connell dyna inception cooling stem, only had one bowl of blue flame now that tasted so amazing (nothing like a fresh pure vape!) Much more testing to do as usual... So many different stems and setups, I of course am used to the WPA, so going to try it standard for a little bit first. I'll comment more on fit and finish later too, but I love how it is fine sanded, even though my unit is unfinished without the wax oil, feels so super smooth and a such joy to hold!

Thanks again Marc @firewood!!
How is the shape of the wood at the stem exit? round?

dzoinp,
Reactions: seki

Ripstar

With my purple O'Connell dyna inception cooling stem, only had one bowl of blue flame now that tasted so amazing (nothing like a fresh pure vape!) Much more testing to do as usual... So many different stems and setups, I of course am used to the WPA, so going to try it standard for a little bit first. I'll comment more on fit and finish later too, but I love how it is fine sanded, even though my unit is unfinished without the wax oil, feels so super smooth and a such joy to hold!

Nice. Let me know how you like that stem! Do you plan to leave it narural? I like the look!

Ripstar,
Reactions: seki

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@mephisto like you weren't already going to ;)

The whole wood bottom mouthpiece is rounded at the corners, if that's what you are asking?

Nice. Let me know how you like that stem! Do you plan to leave it natural? I like the look!

I am liking the stem so far, but I have to try the other ones too!

The adjustment is how small the firewood is with the standard mouthpiece...

I don't know what you're asking exactly by natural, but I don't plan on oiling or staining anything if that's what you mean? I don't do that with any of my wood vapes... Just leave them as his, hand oils take care of whatever eventually lol

seki

I posted a pic a few pages back. New style adapter on the left, original on the right. I also hadn't installed the friction pads when I took this picture, it was taken just after I had received the new adapters:
Wait, are you saying we're fools for getting on board with the FW7? In that case, I am twice the fool compared to the average FW user ;):
fw7-mp.jpg

In all seriousness, the new MP adapter really isn't that much bigger than the original especially on its own. But for some reason when you hold them side by side, the new one feels significantly larger to me.

I have small hands though, so that could play a role in my perception. When using it at home, I actually prefer sticking my Hula stem on to the end of the original MP over using the new adapter.

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
I posted a pic a few pages back. New style adapter on the left, original on the right. I also hadn't installed the friction pads when I took this picture, it was taken just after I had received the new adapters:
Thanks!
if that's what you are asking?
sorry no...
But is yours similar to @seki's?
😞I would prefer it to be round and fairer to the stem

Traveler

With my purple O'Connell dyna inception cooling stem, only had one bowl of blue flame now that tasted so amazing (nothing like a fresh pure vape!) Much more testing to do as usual... So many different stems and setups, I of course am used to the WPA, so going to try it standard for a little bit first. I'll comment more on fit and finish later too, but I love how it is fine sanded, even though my unit is unfinished without the wax oil, feels so super smooth and such a joy to hold!

That inception stem, wowzers....you should speak to them about the commission you just earned!🤩 lol

Shogun.

「Stand User」

With my purple O'Connell dyna inception cooling stem, only had one bowl of blue flame now that tasted so amazing (nothing like a fresh pure vape!) Much more testing to do as usual... So many different stems and setups, I of course am used to the WPA, so going to try it standard for a little bit first. I'll comment more on fit and finish later too, but I love how it is fine sanded, even though my unit is unfinished without the wax oil, feels so super smooth and such a joy to hold!

That looks so sweet, looks like just what I need as I personally would rather have a fixed mouthpiece rather than a retractable one, does that stem slide tho?

like, my waterwand has a lip, so its firmly set into the expanded part of the cooling attatchment so it doesn't slide, now lookin for a cooling mouthpiece similar to it.

Shit Snacks

That looks so sweet, looks like just what I need as I personally would rather have a fixed mouthpiece rather than a retractable one, does that stem slide tho?

like, my waterwand has a lip, so its firmly set into the expanded part of the cooling attatchment so it doesn't slide, now lookin for a cooling mouthpiece similar to it.

Unfortunately it is not fixed and it does slide, because the attachment piece is long enough for the other stems to be retractable. @firewood I was going to mention this to you by email, that it would be good to offer an option for a shorter attachment piece, for when you are using a glass stem that is longer even when retracted, since there is no reason for it to be able to retract at all... Does that make sense? Because if you do that now, it would put the edge of the glass all the way up against the wall of the ceramic in the mouthpiece, so it needs to be maybe a quarter inch shorter or so??

Shit Snacks

My makeshift wpa with a waterwand, og draw tube and tubing.
I like it cause the stem doesn't move and the tube is always set in the ceramic Mouthpiece connector at just the right spot.

Now to find a cooling mouthpiece that can do the same

I'm sure you can mod something similar up with just about anything, in this case it would be a shorter tube, I think with most cooling stems... I will say I am pretty impressed how well the o-ring in the ceramic is designed for a retractable stem now, very slick!

Edited as I am now trying out my other piece from O'Connell, his regular dyna cooling stem, in longer smoked glass, also nice:

PXL-20201215-052913647.jpg

PXL-20201215-053008977.jpg

Last edited:

Tombudster

My FW7 came in today and I'm sort of disappointed.

I combusted my first bowl somehow, and now every bowl after that I'm getting pretty much no vapor, and minimal browning. I set preset to 390 and am ripping it using the cooling stem, but I am getting almost nothing, but a light browning and some charring on the bottom parts of the herb. Any ideas?

I also ordered another one of the thin long glass stems thinking I would have a backup when it broke, but lo and behold I don't even have anything to connect it to. I wish the wording was a bit clearer on the site as to how the cooling stem upgrade is the ONLY way to use the FW7.

Last edited:
Tombudster,
  • Sad
Reactions: dimmusp

Shogun.

「Stand User」

I combusted my first bowl somehow, and now every bowl after that I'm getting pretty much no vapor, and minimal browning. I set preset to 390 and am ripping it using the cooling stem, but I am getting almost nothing, but a light browning and some charring on the bottom parts of the herb. Any ideas?

I also ordered another one of the thin long glass stems thinking I would have a backup when it broke, but lo and behold I don't even have anything to connect it to. I wish the wording was a bit clearer on the site as to how the cooling stem upgrade is the ONLY way to use the FW7.
Fine grind, good tamp, slow draw worked for me, or maybe it just needs to be warmed up?
Had similar issues when I first got mine

Tombudster

Fine grind, good tamp, slow draw worked for me, or maybe it just needs to be warmed up?
Had similar issues when I first got mine

Ok, yeah. 100% I need to RIP this thing to get a good hit off of it. Fine grind is the other issue. using some Sensi Star and even through my hybrid/fine Herbripper it still came out too fluffy.

I have started getting vapor, next step is to grind even finer I guess. What temp is everyone using?

Tombudster,

Traveler

Ok, yeah. 100% I need to RIP this thing to get a good hit off of it. Fine grind is the other issue. using some Sensi Star and even through my hybrid/fine Herbripper it still came out too fluffy.

I have started getting vapor, next step is to grind even finer I guess. What temp is everyone using?
I pretty much stick to 390 and use the medium plate of my Brilliant Cut

Traveler,
Reactions: Ripstar

Shit Snacks

If you are getting no vapor but the herb is extracted, it sounds like you have an air gap in your vapor path... at 390 you should be able to get lung busters if you want them. So check your seals with the cooling stem?

Also not sure what you mean, the standard long thin stem does not need the cooling unit kit, it slides right in on its own...? My FW7 came with the standard long thin stem installed in the new style mouthpiece, and the pieces for use with cooling stems...

Contact Marc if it seems you are missing any pieces! He can also help if there are any performance issues, anything at all!

Fine grind is good, but it does not need to be super fine, but what you want is a consistent grind. Fluffy is not really the issue, you can still pack it down well enough. How much are you loading though,? You should try only loading half full at most to learn properly...

I can get great hits, riding the lowest setting it comes with by default, with long slow draw hits no matter how I grind really, though that does affect other aspects of the extraction.

Remember that even though there is automatic regulation, this is still a manual on demand vape, there are a lot of varying factors that can affect your experience.

Last edited:

Tombudster

If you are getting no vapor but the herb is extracted, it sounds like you have an air gap in your vapor path... at 390 you should be able to get lung busters if you want them. So check your seals with the cooling stem?

Also not sure what you mean, the standard long thin stem does not need the cooling unit kit, it slides right in on its own...? My FW7 came with the standard long thin stem installed in the new style mouthpiece, and the pieces for use with cooling stems...

Contact Marc if it seems you are missing any pieces! He can also help if there are any performance issues, anything at all!

Fine grind is good, but it does not need to be super fine, but what you want is a consistent grind. Fluffy is not really the issue, you can still pack it down well enough. How much are you loading though,? You should try only loading half full at most to learn properly...

I can get great hits, riding the lowest setting it comes with by default, with long slow draw hits no matter how I grind really, though that does affect other aspects of the extraction.

Remember that even though there is automatic regulation, this is still a manual on demand vape, there are a lot of varying factors that can affect your experience.
I guess what I mean is that I don't have the wooden stabilizing bit for the longer thinner glass tube. It would just be floating around there with nothing to hold it on the inhale end.

The seal of everything was good. Using some good old vapes now, going to revisit this thing in a little bit tonight when I have more time to sit down and fuck around with it.

scion34

When mine arrived I dang near combusted straight out the gate with one glorious hit on Preset 3, puffing at the usual rate most vapes enjoy. Wonderful cloud, but eh flavor and too close for comfort to combustion. I changed all my preset per the instructions and am much happier. 1. 350 2. 360 3. 370
I’ll start on 3 with a cold unit just to warm up the bowl and will finish on 2 usually. Works wonderfully, I do stir, but the ABV is very even and well extracted. In my opinion this unit keeps up and works better with a faster than usual inhale.

Good luck! It might take a bit of dialing in but it’ll be well worth it ;)

Shit Snacks

I guess what I mean is that I don't have the wooden stabilizing bit for the longer thinner glass tube. It would just be floating around there with nothing to hold it on the inhale end.

The seal of everything was good. Using some good old vapes now, going to revisit this thing in a little bit tonight when I have more time to sit down and fuck around with it.

Oh yeah so definitely let Marc know and he will send you one! It is a small separate piece

Also a good idea, when you have a new vape that you are learning to use, especially if you are used to other styles, to only use that vape for a while if you can, it's a properly get a feel for it and get the most out of it.

Tombudster

Oh yeah so definitely let Marc know and he will send you one! It is a small separate piece

Also a good idea, when you have a new vape that you are learning to use, especially if you are used to other styles, to only use that vape for a while if you can, it's a properly get a feel for it and get the most out of it.
After only using vapes for years upon years now they're all about normal to me. If I was able to overcome the MFLB and the MV-1 and learn those, nothing will ever be hard to use again.

I am having a lot of trouble getting good vapor production out of this thing though. It just doesn't want to brown my herbs without charring them. I've tried reseating the silicon and oring in the stem, tried making sure there were no leaks that I could tell atleast, but it just sorta sputters and I get 2 mediocre little vapor draws at the beginning. It feels as if it doesn't really pick up heating until like 10 seconds after the heatup buzz?

Tombudster,
  • Sad

Arawfish

Green Thumb
something definitely isn’t right with how that sounds, and isn’t anywhere near how my unit is functioning. Marc will sort it out though.
sucks that’s this is your first experience with this thing, because she really chooches.

Tombudster

something definitely isn’t right with how that sounds, and isn’t anywhere near how my unit is functioning. Marc will sort it out though.
sucks that’s this is your first experience with this thing, because she really chooches.
Yeah it really soured my day already, but I e-mailed Marc already to get everything sorted out. I'm going to keep testing to see if it's just me, but I honestly don't think it is.

I tried the suggestion above of cigar puffs and that got me some vapor in the beginning, but I am still getting very uneven cooking of the herbs. I'll get some pics tonight.

Edit:

Spent a lot of herb over the last couple of hours with little to no buzz. The best bowl that I got was putting the device at 380 and literally holding the button down until I was done with the bowl and it wouldn't produce vapor anymore. Even after that the device wouldn't put out any more vapor, and just left herbs charring again with a green center.

I'm going to work with Marc to see what the deal is, but this is probably the most disappointed I've been with a vaporizer since the MV-1 so far. I'm hesitant to even keep trying it out before hearing from Marc as it just seems to be wasting everything. Most disappointing BF purchase, though the Dynavap XLS and DTv4 SiC cup have been pretty great so far.

If anything I'll just push for a return or just sell it somewhere. I bought the device for the even heating, dense vapor, and removable 18650. So far it's only delivered on one of those. Although I do have to say that the oven is staying particularly clean during this whole event.

Last edited:

junior

How are you packing tombudster? I was getting charred edges and top when I didn't pack tight enough. I would agree that it takes around 10 seconds past the buzz to get heat soaked from cold. You can get around that by starting slow or not hitting the first heatup.

junior,

Tombudster

How are you packing tombudster? I was getting charred edges and top when I didn't pack tight enough. I would agree that it takes around 10 seconds past the buzz to get heat soaked from cold. You can get around that by starting slow or not hitting the first heatup.

I'm a glutton for punishment so I tried another bowl, this time loaded more and tamped down as tight as I possibly could. It reduced *some* charring, but it still happened. It looks like it took about 15-25 seconds for the device to come up to temp and give me a full rip. I just kept holding that button....

Also to clarify my device history, I have updated my signature. This is not my first rodeo with a vape that requires technique to use.

Tombudster,
Top Bottom