• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Firewood Vaporizer

firewood

Manufacturer
So is it necessary to router the slot in the side or was that just for illustration purposes?

Are you selling those dimple stems or do they come from a third party retailer? For instance, is that a Hulu cooling stem?

I can see how it obviously extends the mouthpiece and makes it more sturdy but does it actually make the vape draw temp any cooler?

Does the smaller dia. tube get shortened so the vape output is cooled thru the dimpled cooling stem, rather than travel the entire distance thru the smaller tube? I couldn't quite determine that from your pic.

Or is the routed opening your design to allow the user to move the cooling stem out and then to retract?
I am going to make the slot in the base a tiny bit shorter so that there is an equal amount of unrouted wood on each end. The slot needs to be there so you can pull the tube out after it has been pushed in, and also probably helps for removing heat from the tube by allowing air to flow around it.

I plan to sell the stems but will also have an option without a stem for people who have one or want to get a different 3rd party one.

Yeah, I think it makes the vapor significantly cooler and the glass doesn't get as hot.

There is still a smaller diameter tube but it is shorter. I'd say it is pretty close to how the vapor is with a stock mp and a hula attached to the end, maybe a tiny bit warmer.
Nice work @firewood!

So my question is, how far can the mouthpiece stick out while still remaining in the ceramic housing, can it go out farther than the standard original? If you recall it wasn't such a fan of how close that put my lips and nose to the body of the FW7...

And also of course, the tip of the glass mouthpiece not getting hot, hopefully the cooling spikes help absorb the heat before it can get to the mouthpiece and burn lips!
The distance you can pull out the mouthpiece depends on the ceramic mouthpiece part because that's the part that the glass tube slides in and out of. Basically the amount of travel equals the interior length of that ceramic part, between the oring and the opposite end. That distance is 3/4" on the current mp and for cost reason I think it makes sense to use the same part. Making a longer ceramic part adds a lot of cost because of extra material and more complicated tooling to make it and also existing owners would have to buy a new part. I think you can get away with a little more distance though if you were willing to have the stem stick out a little bit even when it is pushed all the way in. Like fully extended it could be 1" and fully retracted it would stick out 1/4". The only difference would be that the narrow tube would have to be slightly longer. Also I should mention - there is no need to hold the fw7 upright. If you hold it upside down or sideways when you draw you should get more nose clearance and as long as you tamp the herbs a bit they will stay in place.

The tip of the mp definitely does not get as hot, I think due to the spikes and also because there is just a lot more heat capacity in the larger glass tube.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
I am going to make the slot in the base a tiny bit shorter so that there is an equal amount of unrouted wood on each end. The slot needs to be there so you can pull the tube out after it has been pushed in, and also probably helps for removing heat from the tube by allowing air to flow around it.

I plan to sell the stems but will also have an option without a stem for people who have one or want to get a different 3rd party one.

Yeah, I think it makes the vapor significantly cooler and the glass doesn't get as hot.

There is still a smaller diameter tube but it is shorter. I'd say it is pretty close to how the vapor is with a stock mp and a hula attached to the end, maybe a tiny bit warmer.

The distance you can pull out the mouthpiece depends on the ceramic mouthpiece part because that's the part that the glass tube slides in and out of. Basically the amount of travel equals the interior length of that ceramic part, between the oring and the opposite end. That distance is 3/4" on the current mp and for cost reason I think it makes sense to use the same part. Making a longer ceramic part adds a lot of cost because of extra material and more complicated tooling to make it and also existing owners would have to buy a new part. I think you can get away with a little more distance though if you were willing to have the stem stick out a little bit even when it is pushed all the way in. Like fully extended it could be 1" and fully retracted it would stick out 1/4". The only difference would be that the narrow tube would have to be slightly longer. Also I should mention - there is no need to hold the fw7 upright. If you hold it upside down or sideways when you draw you should get more nose clearance and as long as you tamp the herbs a bit they will stay in place.

The tip of the mp definitely does not get as hot, I think due to the spikes and also because there is just a lot more heat capacity in the larger glass tube.

Depending on price, count me in for one!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

PossumMD

So, after 5.5weeks in transit I finally have my grubby mitts on my fw7. Initial thoughts, bowl is deceptively big, vapour is nice enough although flavour drops quick, battery life is middle of the road, vapour isn't too hot and the glass doesn't get too hot. It's a fantastic little vape. I've wanted a firewood for a while, and now I have one. Woop!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

I actually like the sound of that, being able to stick out a full inch, but only retracting to a quarter inch. I do hold it in other orientations, but I prefer to keep it right side up for the most part... My cobalt custom mouthpiece should be arriving soon, that one is kind of designed for it to be used more upright too (and with my Lily WPA as MP, I often do tilt it a bit that way during a bowl as well)

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: seki

Shit Snacks

Edit window gone, but mouthpiece is here:

PXL-20201017-011929575.jpg

PXL-20201017-012136228.jpg

I wanted it to come up a little higher ideally, but this is still fine, working pretty well so far!

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
@Shit Snacks Nice design!

Is the mouthpiece the way it's pinched going to remain the same? If so, I really like it as it has a very Serpentine appearance. I could envision how one might amplify that characteristic!

Will it be available in other colors, or have you gotten that far? And are you going to retail it or contract that out? Does it cool much?
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Shit Snacks

@Shit Snacks Nice design!

Is the mouthpiece the way it's pinched going to remain the same? If so, I really like it as it has a very Serpentine appearance. I could envision how one might amplify that characteristic!

Will it be available in other colors, or have you gotten that far? And are you going to retail it or contract that out? Does it cool much?
:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

haha sorry I think you are confused, this is a one-off custom I had made for myself, not something that will be available for anyone else unfortunately... unless someone else decides to make that a reality! It is a bit involved to make, and cost me $60, it is working very well though, despite being a little shorter than I would have preferred.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Hey folks, long time no...

So, where've I been? Well, once again, I suddenly stopped receiving notification emails for new posts even though I am still watching the thread with notifications turned on. Weird. Once I deactivate and then reactivate the watch, I start getting notifications again. Challenges in other parts of life distracted me from checking in on the forum and finding out I'd been dumped again.

Anyway, I figured it was time to finally post about my bonding with my FW7 and when I look at the forum I am happily amazed at how busy y'all have been. Great stuff!

Before I get into my own story let me just say: Marc, I LOVE the optional cooling units with the retractable glass and I will absolutely be buying one the instant they are up on your site. Just tell me when to start throwing money.

On to my reason for posting: You may remember a ways back that I had concerns about how hot my FW7 was getting during use. I sent it back to Marc to check out and he confirmed that the unit is working as designed and that the external temps are within his design parameters. With that worry out of the way, I happily started using the 7 as my daily driver.

Due to physical and psychological factors (11/3 can't come soon enough for me), I have been on an extended T-break, so I've only been vaping CBD flowers or high CBD/low THC strains and I've mostly only been doing so at night as a sleep aid. Even with that limited usage model, the FW7 has already become a trusted companion.

As far as technique goes, I load the bowl about 1/2 full and tamp down lightly with the plunger from one of those syringes you use to give a small child or a cat their liquid medications. It's a perfect fit. I'm not finding much performance difference at all between a medium grind from my grinder and simply breaking up the flowers with my fingers.

I reset my temperature presets as follows:
Preset 1 = 360F
Preset 2 = 370F
Preset 3 = 390F
(Marc had my unit for testing before the temp change firmware update, so these are "old" temp settings.)

I'm thinking of maybe upping presets 1 and 2 by 10 degrees each but haven't decided for sure.

My habit now is to temp step through my session. First hit at preset 1 for a pure flavor draw. Then two hits at preset 2 and two or three more at preset 3.

I start my draw when I get the "ready " buzz (or sometimes a second or 2 afterwards). On preset 1 I draw for 7 seconds, release the button, and keep drawing through the "off" buzz (another 6 or 7 seconds) and onwards for another 10-15 seconds. On presets 2 and 3 I usually release the button after 6 seconds. Otherwise, my technique is the same. I find this gives me nice clouds and great CBD relaxation effects without the vapor getting too hot. The end of the glass mouthpiece can get a bit hot towards the end of the draw, but this is mitigated by moving the mouthpiece to a different part of my lips. It's not a terrible problem but if I am in the mood for a cooler experience I have an 18" piece of surgical tubing with a glass mouthpiece on one end. I stick the open end of the tubing on the mouthpiece and everything is totally cool with the added advantage of not having to hold the FW right up at my face. (Even with that very workable solution in my arsenal, I am absolutely on-board with Marc's new cooling unit idea and can't wait to get one.)

The bowl-end of the unit's exterior does still get too hot to comfortably touch towards the end of a session, but this is easily dealt with by changing how I hold the unit. Thanks to the unit's excellent hand-feel/form factor, it is easy to use the power button while holding the unit so as to avoid the hotspot.

ABV out of this thing is a nice consistent brown all the way through. At first I would forget myself and draw too slowly ( reverting to FW4 habits) and get some charring, but with my FW7 habits well-established, that is no longer an issue.

Cleaning is an absolute breeze. Iso-soaked Q-tip on all the ceramic parts and screen; iso-soaked pipe cleaner in the mouthpiece; and done! The bowl really does seem to keep itself pretty clean, with ABV easily falling out of the bowl after each session, even if I don't empty it until the next morning.

Bottom line: I LOVE THIS VAPE. It's easy to use and clean; the control scheme is easily mastered; the form factor is brilliant - quite tactilely pleasing in the hand; and yielding great effects. The only downside is that my beloved FW4s are being neglected, relegated to bench-sitters. Their one consolation is that they have been usurped by a family member. :)

In summary, the FW7 receives my unreserved recommendation to anyone looking for a great portable unit.

Can't wait for the new cooling unit. Marc, if there's a waiting list, please put me on it!!

~moondog

firewood

Manufacturer
Hey folks, long time no...

So, where've I been? Well, once again, I suddenly stopped receiving notification emails for new posts even though I am still watching the thread with notifications turned on. Weird. Once I deactivate and then reactivate the watch, I start getting notifications again. Challenges in other parts of life distracted me from checking in on the forum and finding out I'd been dumped again.

Anyway, I figured it was time to finally post about my bonding with my FW7 and when I look at the forum I am happily amazed at how busy y'all have been. Great stuff!

Before I get into my own story let me just say: Marc, I LOVE the optional cooling units with the retractable glass and I will absolutely be buying one the instant they are up on your site. Just tell me when to start throwing money.

On to my reason for posting: You may remember a ways back that I had concerns about how hot my FW7 was getting during use. I sent it back to Marc to check out and he confirmed that the unit is working as designed and that the external temps are within his design parameters. With that worry out of the way, I happily started using the 7 as my daily driver.

Due to physical and psychological factors (11/3 can't come soon enough for me), I have been on an extended T-break, so I've only been vaping CBD flowers or high CBD/low THC strains and I've mostly only been doing so at night as a sleep aid. Even with that limited usage model, the FW7 has already become a trusted companion.

As far as technique goes, I load the bowl about 1/2 full and tamp down lightly with the plunger from one of those syringes you use to give a small child or a cat their liquid medications. It's a perfect fit. I'm not finding much performance difference at all between a medium grind from my grinder and simply breaking up the flowers with my fingers.

I reset my temperature presets as follows:
Preset 1 = 360F
Preset 2 = 370F
Preset 3 = 390F
(Marc had my unit for testing before the temp change firmware update, so these are "old" temp settings.)

I'm thinking of maybe upping presets 1 and 2 by 10 degrees each but haven't decided for sure.

My habit now is to temp step through my session. First hit at preset 1 for a pure flavor draw. Then two hits at preset 2 and two or three more at preset 3.

I start my draw when I get the "ready " buzz (or sometimes a second or 2 afterwards). On preset 1 I draw for 7 seconds, release the button, and keep drawing through the "off" buzz (another 6 or 7 seconds) and onwards for another 10-15 seconds. On presets 2 and 3 I usually release the button after 6 seconds. Otherwise, my technique is the same. I find this gives me nice clouds and great CBD relaxation effects without the vapor getting too hot. The end of the glass mouthpiece can get a bit hot towards the end of the draw, but this is mitigated by moving the mouthpiece to a different part of my lips. It's not a terrible problem but if I am in the mood for a cooler experience I have an 18" piece of surgical tubing with a glass mouthpiece on one end. I stick the open end of the tubing on the mouthpiece and everything is totally cool with the added advantage of not having to hold the FW right up at my face. (Even with that very workable solution in my arsenal, I am absolutely on-board with Marc's new cooling unit idea and can't wait to get one.)

The bowl-end of the unit's exterior does still get too hot to comfortably touch towards the end of a session, but this is easily dealt with by changing how I hold the unit. Thanks to the unit's excellent hand-feel/form factor, it is easy to use the power button while holding the unit so as to avoid the hotspot.

ABV out of this thing is a nice consistent brown all the way through. At first I would forget myself and draw too slowly ( reverting to FW4 habits) and get some charring, but with my FW7 habits well-established, that is no longer an issue.

Cleaning is an absolute breeze. Iso-soaked Q-tip on all the ceramic parts and screen; iso-soaked pipe cleaner in the mouthpiece; and done! The bowl really does seem to keep itself pretty clean, with ABV easily falling out of the bowl after each session, even if I don't empty it until the next morning.

Bottom line: I LOVE THIS VAPE. It's easy to use and clean; the control scheme is easily mastered; the form factor is brilliant - quite tactilely pleasing in the hand; and yielding great effects. The only downside is that my beloved FW4s are being neglected, relegated to bench-sitters. Their one consolation is that they have been usurped by a family member. :)

In summary, the FW7 receives my unreserved recommendation to anyone looking for a great portable unit.

Can't wait for the new cooling unit. Marc, if there's a waiting list, please put me on it!!

~moondog
Glad you are enjoying it!

The Extra Cooling Mouthpiece adapter is now available! I don't have the dimpled stems at the moment but should have them within a couple days.

The Chemist

New member but long time lurker
Glad you are enjoying it!

The Extra Cooling Mouthpiece adapter is now available! I don't have the dimpled stems at the moment but should have them within a couple days.

I can't wait to try it out, I will order one as soon as you get the stems. For the price I think this is gonna be worth it, good job Mark. :tup:
Also do you use a different finish for the wood because before it was referred as Tung oil and now it is Beeswax/Mineral oil?

Last edited:

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
A while back some of us were pondering convection vs. conduction vs. hybrid heating methods and how they applied to the FW7.

If, like me, you've been checking the FW site several times a day to see if the dimpled cooling stems have arrived yet, you've seen that Marc has a GREAT explanation of this very topic on the Firewood home page. It definitely cleared things up for me.

Thanks Marc! :clap: :clap:

firewood

Manufacturer
I have dimpled glass tubes in stock on the website now!
Awesome! Are the dimpled stems you’ll be offering comparable (or the same) to other existing third party stems for Dynavaps, i.e. Hula Stem (Sneaky Pete), 3D Airflow Stem (Puffitup), or Fury Edge 3D Flow Stem, etc.?

In the meantime, does anyone have other dimpled stems to recommend that fit the dimensions Marc lays out on his page?

Yes, the hula stems and 3d stems are similar, not 100% sure about the others. If it fits onto a dynavap and is 1/2" wide or less and at least 3" long then it should work.

Also do you use a different finish for the wood because before it was referred as Tung oil and now it is Beeswax/Mineral oil?
Yes, I changed the finish to Beeswax/Oil. I just added an extra option the get the part in Tung so it will match existing fw7 units if people would prefer that.

Shogun.

「Stand User」
About to pick up a 7, just one question

Does the wpa come with the 14mm glass connection? The pic on the site only shows the wooden part

Shogun.,

Shit Snacks

About to pick up a 7, just one question

Does the wpa come with the 14mm glass connection? The pic on the site only shows the wooden part

The WPA is just the 14mm female in the wood. You supply 14mm male connection (be it a rig, stem, or male to male adapter)

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Shogun.

PossumMD

Oh right, yeah. Sorry, what Shit Snacks said, I forgot that the connection can work with male glass. I've never owned male connectioned glass so I keep forgetting that it's a thing.

Top Bottom