• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Firewood Vaporizer

CyanKraken

I will admit it sounds and looks really cool, but if I already have a Mighty, other than for collection purposes would it make sense for me to get the 7? I’m not sure of all its features, maybe there’s something I don’t know, but it sounds like this one’s a session as opposed to all their other devices being on-demand (on-demand being what I’ve been looking for).

CyanKraken,

vapormachina

I will admit it sounds and looks really cool, but if I already have a Mighty, other than for collection purposes would it make sense for me to get the 7? I’m not sure of all its features, maybe there’s something I don’t know, but it sounds like this one’s a session as opposed to all their other devices being on-demand (on-demand being what I’ve been looking for).

I have the Crafty+ but that wood and 18650 combination looks very good; it's a vaporizer that will last forever

CyanKraken

I'll be getting the fw10 whenever that drops as well. s and b is plastic. Hated my mighty.

Yeah, I do have to say I really love my mighty but the wood is so much nicer than the plastic.

And we also have to say that this vaporizer is vastly prettier and more elegant than a mighty/crafty which looks like they came from hell :lol: :lol:
This I 100% agree with. The mighty is indeed a beast in my opinion but it also looks like one :lol:

TastyCakeWasTasty

butter your wood
Arrived a day early! A pleasant surprise!
Easy to use out of the box, I'll follow up with a full report later.

Congratulations 🥳 ! I underestimated how slim it is and man is that beautiful :clap:.

Is that an unfinished unit? I have a tub a wood butter ready and waiting for when mine arrives :science:

TastyCakeWasTasty,
Reactions: ArthurJ

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

I have not even had a chance to actually use my FW7 yet, but I thought I would give my "unboxing" thoughts. (Sorry, I am photo-deficient.)

• First of all, this device is GORGEOUS! :drool:. I got the Tung oil finish and it is dark and rich, with lovely grain.
  • The form factor is even better than the 4 or 6 (the other FWs I've owned). It feels great in the hand. Like my FW4, I really enjoy just holding the 7 and turning it over and over on my hand.
  • The feel and heft inspire confidence. This is a solidly built unit.
  • The fit and finish are up to usual FW standards. Is it as robotically perfect as a soulless factory-built, plastic-laden device? Of course not. But this is functional art we're talking about here. Every time you pick it up you know that a human being put heart and soul into this and created it for you.
  • The control button is, for me, an exponential improvement over the 6. Much easier for these tired old hands to use.
  • Likewise, the extremely clever mechanism for sliding the mouthpiece out from its storage position in the body. A great upgrade!
  • The instructions include clearly laid-out guides to the control scheme (activation, status checks, temp preset changing, temp preset setting) and definitions of haptic feedback. I don't think we'll see the same kind of confusion we had around the launch of the FW6.
  • An interesting tidbit: when you remove the mouthpiece lid section the electronics are visible through two "ports". I had noticed them in the first photos but thought that might be a prototype thing. I have to assume this is necessary for construction and/or repair/maintenance.

I do have two questions/concerns/things to figure out:

• Concerning that sliding mouthpiece. I need to come up with some sort of indicator to show the maximum distance you can extend the mouthpiece from the body without pulling it out of the o-ring in the bowl. The slider moves it to the point where it still extends halfway into the chamber above the bowl. My OCD-ness demands that the end of the mouthpiece be flush with the rim of that chamber. (Of course, it could be that the unit is designed that way to make sure no vapor seeps out around the mouthpiece/chamber joint.) Go ahead and laugh but I have to live with this brain. :lol:
  • [Edited to remove stunningly embarrassing question.]
TL; DR - :drool::clap::love::rockon::tup: I'll post a functional review once I have some experiences to relate but out of the box, this is another winner from Marc. No self-respecting FW fan will want to miss this one.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

I have not even had a chance to actually use my FW7 yet, but I thought I would give my "unboxing" thoughts. (Sorry, I am photo-deficient.)

• First of all, this device is GORGEOUS! :drool:. I got the Tung oil finish and it is dark and rich, with lovely grain.
  • The form factor is even better than the 4 or 6 (the other FWs I've owned). It feels great in the hand. Like my FW4, I really enjoy just holding the 7 and turning it over and over on my hand.
  • The feel and heft inspire confidence. This is a solidly built unit.
  • The fit and finish are up to usual FW standards. Is it as robotically perfect as a soulless factory-built, plastic-laden device? Of course not. But this is functional art we're talking about here. Every time you pick it up you know that a human being put heart and soul into this and created it for you.
  • The control button is, for me, an exponential improvement over the 6. Much easier for these tired old hands to use.
  • Likewise, the extremely clever mechanism for sliding the mouthpiece out from its storage position in the body. A great upgrade!
  • The instructions include clearly laid-out guides to the control scheme (activation, status checks, temp preset changing, temp preset setting) and definitions of haptic feedback. I don't think we'll see the same kind of confusion we had around the launch of the FW6.
  • An interesting tidbit: when you remove the mouthpiece lid section the electronics are visible through two "ports". I had noticed them in the first photos but thought that might be a prototype thing. I have to assume this is necessary for construction and/or repair/maintenance.

I do have two questions/concerns/things to figure out:

• Concerning that sliding mouthpiece. I need to come up with some sort of indicator to show the maximum distance you can extend the mouthpiece from the body without pulling it out of the o-ring in the bowl. The slider moves it to the point where it still extends halfway into the chamber above the bowl. My OCD-ness demands that the end of the mouthpiece be flush with the rim of that chamber. (Of course, it could be that the unit is designed that way to make sure no vapor seeps out around the mouthpiece/chamber joint.) Go ahead and laugh but I have to live with this brain. :lol:
  • I have a question for Marc about the WPA: It has no screen. So it seems to me that if you were to inhale through the adapter, you would just suck all the material up out of the bowl. Is there supposed to be a screen in the WPA or is it designed to only be used with a glass adapter piece that has a screen of its own?
TL; DR - :drool::clap::love::rockon::tup: I'll post a functional review once I have some experiences to relate but out of the box, this is another winner from Marc. No self-respecting FW fan will want to miss this one.

From Payton's videos it looked like there was a screen in the chamber, not the mp or wpa?

And you are not alone about pulling the mp too far out, I would have the same ocd...

moondog

From Payton's videos it looked like there was a screen in the chamber, not the mp or wpa?
And you are not alone about pulling the mp too far out, I would have the same ocd...
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

My god, what the f*ck is wrong with my brain??? I can't even blame this on having vaped.

I somehow didn't register that the "bowl" I'm supposed to fill is accessed from the battery side.

Come now and witness one man's quest to embarrass himself as often as possible on the web.

Thanks for the save SS!

kadjo

Is this still in beta testing or was there a batch released? I have been checking the site and getting the beta testers only page when I click the vaporizers link in the menu, but now it says "sold out". Got confused. Thanks in advance for any clarification

kadjo,

hippogriff

Got mine Saturday, I'll post pictures tomorrow, wanted to share some first impressions (context: I'm a low-temp surfer, mostly 310-350):
- All-around best Firewood! Size, interface, ease of use, even roasting, ease of cleaning, strength of haptic buzz, length of mouthpiece, stored protection of mouthpiece, all have been noticeably improved.
- In case anyone's assuming conduction = session, this is an on-demand vape at my temps. Temps appear super accurate, and I can do a bunch of draws at 310 getting great flavor and vapor, let unit cool down, and switch to 330 and continue to get good flavor and strong vapor, wait again and then cash out at 350. I usually just do 4-5 @ 310 then 2-3 @ 330 and I'm done, but this test (I call it The Movie Test) is a strong indication of a vape's extraction capabilities. Also passed The Dog Walk Test easily - yes, can vape while walking dog, marching-speed uphill, without stopping. Vape signature is flavorful and strong as you'd expect w a Firewood.
- Interface improvements are great. Customizing temps is easier, and you can more quickly jump between your 3 presets, so it's easy to do a higher-temp start when needed. Haptic is nicely tuned (a little quieter than FW5 and a little louder than FW6), and when you hold button down to start the heater you get 1-3 quick buzzes to confirm temp setting, then a final buzz to indicate temp is reached, feels very clear and direct, and quick.
- The mouthpiece length (maybe a tiny bit longer than a stock FW5, definitely longer than the FW6) is my favorite length, and the shuttle completes the storable mouthpiece idea started w the 6.
- Firewoods have been great for awhile, 3 & 4 needed a slow draw, 5 (my daily for the last couple years) was the easiest, 6 (my daily for a few months before I went back to my 5) improved low-temp control but brought back some breath control, more of an alt-design than an upgrade, 7 improves the best ideas from 5 & 6, in a smaller, more refined package.
- Sorry, I know it's all roses, new vape. The button is smaller and flatter than the 5, I can tell I'm already getting used to it, but I may carefully add a drop of resin to change the feel. Removing the battery cover to check roast or to load is not as nice as sliding out the bowl one-handed w the 5, but the integrated tamping tool is useful, fits the design.

moondog

I've now had a couple of session with the FW7 and thought I'd post my impressions.

First off, here are the "factory" settings for the three presets:

Preset 1 = 340F
Preset 2 = 380F
Preset 3 = 420F

If these are not to your liking, setting new preset temps is pretty easy - same system as with FW6 - and there is a nice straightforward explanation on how to do so in the manual.

Session #1

This was a quick and dirty session just to get a feel for how the vape works (and to make sure it did work).

I filled the bowl about 1/2 way with some CBD flowers - I'm on a T-break at the moment - that I had finger-ground and tamped down gently. I do plan to try using a grinder at some point and see if/how that changes performance.

The first thing I noticed is that the heat-up time is quite short. I would say I averaged 5-7 second heat-up times in my sessions. This was with a fully charged battery. We'll see how times change with weaker batteries.

As paytonpenn has already mentioned, FW7 is most definitely not a slow sipper like previous versions. An 8-count draw results in nice big clouds. Draws longer than that at higher temps results in some slight charred taste. Running at Preset #2, I did get nice clouds even on the first draw.

But so far, taste is hard to judge because my nose is overwhelmed by the tung oil finish. I know that will settle down in a few days.

I did feel the nice calming effects of the CBD quite quickly. I am confident that when I get back to some more potent medications the results will be most enjoyable.

I emptied the bowl a few minutes after the session and the load was for the most part nicely and evenly browned. There were a couple of smaller leaves that had charred a bit, but nothing outrageous. I believe this charring was the result of my reflexively taking a long slow sipping draw like I've been doing on my FW4 for many years now. But the material came right out of the bowl with almost no coaxing, leaving the chamber nice and clean.

Session #2

The bowl was filled a bit more than 1/2-way with finger ground flowers and tamped down lightly.

My first draw was at temp #1. Again, heat-up time for each draw was about 5-6 seconds using the same battery as the previous session. I didn't get very much vapor and the tung oil is still interfering with my ability to discern taste (I do know that these flowers taste AMAZING, so I'll know when I'm starting to taste what the FW7 can do.)

Draws 2-5 were on temp #2, which resulted in lots of big clouds. As before, draws of longer than 8-10 seconds resulted in a slight charred taste reminding me of my combustion days.

This was a bed-time medication session and again, the calming effects of the CBD were very evident.

General notes:

The FW7 does seem to be self-cleaning to a certain extent. I cleaned out last night's bed-time session this morning and even with a stone cold chamber, the material fell out of the overturned bowl on its own, leaving behind a nice clean chamber.

One "warning": The vape gets pretty hot to the touch on the bowl end while in use. It's easy enough to find a hand position to work around it, but it can catch you by surprise if you're not paying attention to where you are holding it.

I also noticed that when sliding the cover in place after filling, the ceramic plate on the cover catches a bit on the edge of the bowl. I'm guessing this very tight fit is necessary to get a good seal on the chamber to maximize air flow through the intakes. Once you're aware what's going on it's easy to develop a method for getting the cover to slide nicely in place.

I'll say it again: For me, the new control button scheme is an infinite improvement over the FW6. Easy to use and easy on the hands. Fantastic!!

And as long as I'm repeating myself, the form factor of the FW7 is marvelous. It just feels so good in the hand. The physical/visual aesthetics of the device really add to the user experience.

Conclusion: For me, the FW7 is an absolute win. If you're an experienced FW fan, I think you'll find that Marc has taken his experience and the feedback he's gotten from us to come up with a another great device that is clearly a member of the FW family but takes the winning formula in new directions. And if you have yet to experience a FW, this is a great time to climb aboard.

I've tried to get all my thought down here but I may have overlooked some piece of obvious and helpful info. Feel free to ask questions and I'll answer if I can.

~moondog

Top Bottom