Firewood Vaporizer

marduk

daydreamer
I got my FW4 yesterday and managed to shoot an unboxing and first session video

You say in the review after you turn it on that "it won't start heating until you start taking a pull"... IIRC this behavior had been changed in later software revisions of the 3.0 so that primer pulls aren't required the first time you turn it on. Has this been changed back in the 4.0?

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
You say in the review after you turn it on that "it won't start heating until you start taking a pull"... IIRC this behavior had been changed in later software revisions of the 3.0 so that primer pulls aren't required the first time you turn it on. Has this been changed back in the 4.0?

Call me a lier but I think he's not talking about primer pulls. It heats when you start taking a draw...that kicks the heater in and it starts getting to set temperature range. This one heats up faster making a "primer pull" rather unnecessary as it's only a few secs. May be wrong though?
:peace:

ohmygodimsohigh

According to the instructions:
"The vaporizer starts heating up when it senses air moving past the heating element.
Begin by taking a brief draw to trigger the heater.
The vaporizer will buzz once quickly to indicate that the heater is turning on.
Wait a second or two, then proceed with a steady inhale."

I've been noticing the short vibe on the start of the draw, but I haven't been waiting.
Still getting great vapor.

Gettinbetter

I usually do a quick pull and a second or two later start my draw but you really don't have to. I'm so used to doing it and waiting on the f3 that I kinda do it just cause. Either way it heats up very fast.

Gettinbetter,

BadDog No

Does anyone know if the FW3 and FW4 capsule/mouthpieces are compatible?

90% sure I saw a video earlier today showing the black silicon FW4s as shorter, maybe because they're meant to be used through the cooling unit (or water) and the FW3s more standalone. Don't know if the joints are the same, but at first look, yes. So compatible, maybe? Where's a field reporter? This is the kind of question that can lead to a sleepless night even though my FW is weeks away. ;)

See several posts above for the video. Shows the mouthpieces around 1:25.

friedrich

Little-Known Member
They aren't exactly. I was planning to keep using my FW3 capsules/mouthpieces, but FW4's mouthpiece is shorter, corresponding to reduced distance down to the heater. With the FW3 mouthpiece, the capsule pushes against the heater assembly before the o-ring seals against the surface.

I pushed the o-ring down on one of my FW3 mouthpieces so that it would fit and seal, but then the mouthpiece extends too far upward to be used with the cooling unit.

The capsule piece itself is interchangeable between FW3 and FW4 mouthpieces though.

Gettinbetter

I just measured. Looks like roughly 1 5/16" vs 7/8"
4ralzL3h.jpg

Diameter is the same. I know the picture looks like it's at an angle but I eyeballed it first then took a picture to show the measurment. Also, it isn't exact because although the tubing cut "looks" the same to my eye, there might be a slight discrepancy.

Thanks for asking this question. I never even thought to look and just assumed they were the interchangeable!

Last edited by a moderator:

hippogriff

Really liking the FW4. Heater is as fast as other portable convection units, software is nicely tweaked from FW3, even the buzzes are just a little shorter and noticeably less audible. I love the set-it-and-stare-at-the-horizon interface, and now the heater's so fast that all the guesswork is gone, just draw slow and enjoy.

Form factor is huge. Very small and light, solid and precise, the machining on the battery cover is really impressive. After a couple Firewoods, I feel like walnut is THE proper wood for a vape now. Beats my Milaana for fill-capsule-and-go portability/compactness and discreetness.

Effects are similar to FW3, but the speed and ease make for a clear upgrade. Extraction excellent, I like daytime low-temp sessions and I can milk a half-capsule for 8-10 hits at 1 or finish in 4-6 at 2, and finish a nice even brown.

The cooling unit is nicely effective, the small tube is well matched to the draw speed. @ 2 I don't mind drawing native, currently I prefer using a glass Crafty mouthpiece for a little less cooling and a wider airpath than the cooling unit (I'm used to the more manual breath control of a bigger mouthpiece).

Marc sent me an xtra bit of walnut to make a custom setup for the Crafty glass, I'll post pics once I have something. Sorry to those who have to wait, but this is lean manufacturing at it's finest, a refined design made by a craftsman, plus direct contact for customers, it's so cool we get this kinda support, and nice to think that Marc is getting paid ok for his efforts.

btka

Really liking the FW4. Heater is as fast as other portable convection units, software is nicely tweaked from FW3, even the buzzes are just a little shorter and noticeably less audible. I love the set-it-and-stare-at-the-horizon interface, and now the heater's so fast that all the guesswork is gone, just draw slow and enjoy.

Form factor is huge. Very small and light, solid and precise, the machining on the battery cover is really impressive. After a couple Firewoods, I feel like walnut is THE proper wood for a vape now. Beats my Milaana for fill-capsule-and-go portability/compactness and discreetness.

Effects are similar to FW3, but the speed and ease make for a clear upgrade. Extraction excellent, I like daytime low-temp sessions and I can milk a half-capsule for 8-10 hits at 1 or finish in 4-6 at 2, and finish a nice even brown.

The cooling unit is nicely effective, the small tube is well matched to the draw speed. @ 2 I don't mind drawing native, currently I prefer using a glass Crafty mouthpiece for a little less cooling and a wider airpath than the cooling unit (I'm used to the more manual breath control of a bigger mouthpiece).

Marc sent me an xtra bit of walnut to make a custom setup for the Crafty glass, I'll post pics once I have something. Sorry to those who have to wait, but this is lean manufacturing at it's finest, a refined design made by a craftsman, plus direct contact for customers, it's so cool we get this kinda support, and nice to think that Marc is getting paid ok for his efforts.
could you compare the fw4 to milaana a little bit more....
e.g. taste, cloud sizes and so on...

and are there other main advantages to the fw3... then smaller, faster... what are you meaning with its easier to handle...

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
and are there other main advantages to the fw3... then smaller, faster...
It could be my batteries but honestly I've had a few Firewoods, the FW4 feels and acts like a more reliable and long lasting unit. It has a lot more consistency and the buzzes just seem better. My FW3 right now gives depressing buzzes, again kinda sure its my batteries but sometimes my FW3 wont work correctly. Maybe your FW3 is acting perfectly so you don't feel as if it is a bit inconsistent or wonky.

Edit:
Finally got my FW3 working, using the Cooling unit on it. I miss the FW4, it was a lot smoother. Way more airflow when heated. Cloud production was a lot easier.

Last edited:

Nmdave

It could be my batteries but honestly I've had a few Firewoods, the FW4 feels and acts like a more reliable and long lasting unit. It has a lot more consistency and the buzzes just seem better. My FW3 right now gives depressing buzzes, again kinda sure its my batteries but sometimes my FW3 wont work correctly. Maybe your FW3 is acting perfectly so you don't feel as if it is a bit inconsistent or wonky.

Edit:
Finally got my FW3 working, using the Cooling unit on it. I miss the FW4, it was a lot smoother. Way more airflow when heated. Cloud production was a lot easier.

Paytonpenn, Thanks for all the info on the Firewood 4, especially the videos. Could you tell me who makes and where you got the water pipe adapter you are using in the bottle of your videos please.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Nmdave,
Reactions: vapen00b

ohmygodimsohigh

It could be my batteries but honestly I've had a few Firewoods, the FW4 feels and acts like a more reliable and long lasting unit. It has a lot more consistency and the buzzes just seem better.

Exactly this.
I always enjoyed the fw3, but rarely recommended it or even used it with others.
The FW4 is a different story. I've already had group sessions and have friends interested in one.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall

and are there other main advantages to the fw3... then smaller, faster... what are you meaning with its easier to handle...
I'm pretty certain that comparisons like this within the thread will be frowned upon.
But having said that, If @hippogriff decides to PM you a response, I for one would be very interested, and would love to get 'copied in' to that convo' :science:

hippogriff

These're very different engineering exercises, plus different user profiles (I prefer lower temps and minimize CBDs, so clouds aren't as important as flavor and extraction to me) and new vape vs regular daily driver, plus FC rules to consider. Both Milaana & FW4 are excellent vapes, I'm glad I have both. Both have log vape signatures (best kind IMO) and effects.

Milaana's strengths fit it's design - unregulated power, like revving a V8, you're getting a dynamic range that comes through in flavor and effects, with excess power at the ready.

FW4's strengths follow from its design - a regulated, consistent, and refined user experience, compact, clean & precise.

Both vapes have capabilities beyond my needs - really, what a time we're in for electric convection portables, it's never been this good.

Top Bottom