Firewood Vaporizer

EmptyWallet

Has anyone recently received the triple capsule set/holder/container? I just did - it appears to be different than what I've seen posted here before as well as the picture online. It's smaller - with the capsules needing to be inserted upside down before sliding the lid closed. What are the advantages/disadvantages to this? Any ideas on why the change? I have emailed FW support and am awaiting to hear back. Just looking for other experiences here as well.

EmptyWallet,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Has anyone recently received the triple capsule set/holder/container? I just did - it appears to be different than what I've seen posted here before as well as the picture online. It's smaller - with the capsules needing to be inserted upside down before sliding the lid closed. What are the advantages/disadvantages to this? Any ideas on why the change? I have emailed FW support and am awaiting to hear back. Just looking for other experiences here as well.
I just took a close look at the picture on the FW site. That does look different than the original design. I'm guessing those curved cutouts on the edges are to make it easier to get capsules in and out. (Although my guesses are often wrong. :doh:)

There was lots of discussion here about which way to load capsules into the carrier since either way, the capsules would be upside down at some point. Perhaps Marc decided that best practice is to pack the caps tightly and place them in the holder upside down so that they come out right side up when loading into the vape.

moondog,

EmptyWallet

I just took a close look at the picture on the FW site. That does look different than the original design. I'm guessing those curved cutouts on the edges are to make it easier to get capsules in and out. (Although my guesses are often wrong. :doh:)

There was lots of discussion here about which way to load capsules into the carrier since either way, the capsules would be upside down at some point. Perhaps Marc decided that best practice is to pack the caps tightly and place them in the holder upside down so that they come out right side up when loading into the vape.

Sure - that's very possible. Would make sense too - I'd add though that even the design that is pictured on the website is different than what I have here. There is no "space" between the capsules anymore. It's one open slot with small rounded areas where each capsule can be inserted. Perhaps easier to manufacture?

EmptyWallet,
Reactions: moondog

Duba

Accessory Maker
I think I received the one displayed on the site and the capsules can be inserted right side up or upside down.

Duba

Accessory Maker
On the current one I received - it's difficult to insert them right side up and then close the lid. Works the other way though. See attached pics.
IMG-20230922-211141.jpg

moondog

Last night I finally got to try the bowl kit. First impressions:

• It goes together easy enough. But I wonder if I'll have the finger strength to take it out when I want to go back to capsule mode.
  • It occurs to me that if you push down too hard while packing the bowl it might be possible to push the screen out the bottom of the capsule.
  • I think airflow may be better than in capsule mode. Not sure why that would be the case. I tried to pack the bowl pretty tight; as I always do.
  • Is it possible the FW hits harder in bowl mode? Maybe I just lost track of how many hits I took.
  • With the capsule so deeply recessed below the retaining ring and funnel, it's not so easy for my tired old eyes to see how much I've loaded. Not a deal-killer for me, just something I noticed.
  • As others have mentioned, being able to empty the bowl while still warm is a MAJOR upgrade. I didn't even need to blow through the stem. Just turned the vape over and out came all the ABV in a nice tidy clump.
All-in-all, I think it's brilliant. :bowdown:It would seem that Marc has addressed all the issues that turned folks off the Firewood capsule system and we now have a Firewood that can fit pretty much every usage model. (Okay, maybe the folks who want to vape while SCUBA diving will have to look elsewhere, but you know what I mean.)

Is the FW9 the last Firewood anyone will ever need? Seems to me that if the word gets out on a large scale, the 9 could blow up even more than the 7. But it's hard to picture Marc resting on his laurels. Not sure what magic he could come up with next. Unless he decides to tackle that SCUBA problem. Hey, here's an idea: If space tourism is really going to be a thing, won't we need a vape for micro-gravity environments? C'mon, who here would want to be looking out that observation cupola while orbiting the Earth on the ISS and NOT be HAF?:spliff:

Duba

Accessory Maker
s it possible the FW hits harder in bowl mode?
I'm glad you mentioned it because I've been thinking the same thing, but I haven't put the capsule system back on since the bowl kit arrived to compare.
I've also noticed that the bowl is more evenly toasted, before I could get a black spot at the end of the session that I don't see anymore.
But it's hard to picture Marc resting on his laurels.
I don't think he'll stop there either.

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Looks to me like the bowl adapter traps heat a bit more which’d probably shift the 9 a little more towards conduction like the 7?

moondog

the bowl is not too difficult to clean?
That's the beauty of this latest development. You can easily empty the bowl by turning the vape upside-down and if necessary, blowing gently on the stem. If the "bowl" needs to be cleaned you can take out the wooden funnel, remove the capsule, and drop it into some iso for a nice soak. And if you've got extra capsules you don't even need to wait for the capsule to dry. You can drop in a new capsule, replace the wooden funnel, and off you go. Much easier than removing the screen from the FW7.

fangorn

Here we go again... my finger slipped again... but my brain was fully aware of what it was doing 😁

@Duba , would you give us a little update on the options you offer for the Fw9 with the bowl option please?
(to be honest, I'm also going to see if it fits in the cases sold for toads..)

fangorn,
Reactions: Zagala

Duba

Accessory Maker
Here we go again... my finger slipped again... but my brain was fully aware of what it was doing 😁
Welcome, it'll find a good place in the family!
@Duba , would you give us a little update on the options you offer for the Fw9 with the bowl option please?
(to be honest, I'm also going to see if it fits in the cases sold for toads..)
Both are not incompatible. The cases I offer (with or without a tab on top to protect the mouthpiece) are designed to remain on the device during use, like a protective skin (see photos).
The case is not closed at the bottom to let the device breathe, and closed (or not) by the tab at the top to protect the mouthpiece from dirt when it's stored in a bag or pocket (which is often the case for me, pocket or bag).
The cases are compatible with both capsule and bowl systems.
I use high-quality cowhide and dye each piece myself with water-based dye.

I can also make a custom carrying bag, as I did for Dan's Toad. ;)

(without tab)

3STOCK

Got the BB9 beaded stem for my FW9 yesterday and already loving it. Will still use the original mouthpiece on the go but this is another level of cooler, airier vapor (in part due to the BB9’s carb hole constantly pulling in fresh cool air)

Photos:

PossumMD

Well, my bowl conversion kit arrived. Pulled out the capsule holder to put in a fresh one. Can't open it. I've never used it and it is jammed good and proper. Any advice as to how the fuck to open it would be appreciated (some light tapping with a hammer has done nothing).

Edit: nevermind, it just opened. Phew. Lovely timing though, seconds after I've posted after fighting with it for half an hour...

Edit 2: but it would appear one of the capsules is jammed in good and proper. Which could be why it didn't open. More investigation to be done.

PossumMD

Definitely picking up one of these very soon now that the bowl option is here, been wanting a firewood for so long
I'll be honest, I'm kinda fuming about my unit, but if I was buying it now, I'd be happier than a pig in shit so I'm not actually mad. I hate the battery pack. Solved. I hate the capsule system. Solved. And given that this will clear a bowl quicker than my 7, I'm happy enough now. It also helps I got it a week before my tm² crapped the bed. I got to love it despite its quirks. So this bowl update is the tits.

Sour Dream

Blue Dream enthusiast
I'll be honest, I'm kinda fuming about my unit, but if I was buying it now, I'd be happier than a pig in shit so I'm not actually mad. I hate the battery pack. Solved. I hate the capsule system. Solved. And given that this will clear a bowl quicker than my 7, I'm happy enough now. It also helps I got it a week before my tm² crapped the bed. I got to love it despite its quirks. So this bowl update is the tits.
That sucks about the TM2, but yea all the issues with the fw8 are gone. Your post just made me even more excited

Sour Dream,

PossumMD

That sucks about the TM2, but yea all the issues with the fw8 are gone. Your post just made me even more excited
I won't go into it, but yeah, it's been a thjg with my tm2. The thing is though, cos of my ADHD, and the fw8 just "working well" means I keep forgetting to send off my tm2 for service...

Edit: not sure why I used the quotations. This device hits hard and well time after time. I just feel like I was a beta tester is all...

PossumMD,
Reactions: Easywider
Top Bottom