Favourite Quotes

Robert-in-YEG

Hi all,

Someone commented on the quote in my sig and I just thought it would be nice to see what peoples favourite quotes are. They can be funny or inspiring, prophetic or poignant - just whatever has stuck with you.

Here's the full quote from my sig by Alice Morse Earle

"The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present."

Another one that always stuck with me was political graffiti I saw on a wall in Israel about 15 years ago.

"Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity"

I know it's crude but it delivers it's message with a punch and really made me think while I had the sound of machine gun fire and tank shells going off in the back ground.
Here are few of mine....

I'll keep it short and sweet -- Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business.~ Mr. Burns (The Simpsons)

Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises.~ Demosthenes (384 BC - 322 BC)

A witty saying proves nothing.~ Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

You create your opportunities by asking for them.
~ Patty Hansen, Prevention Magazine, 11-05

While we stop to think, we often miss our opportunity.
~ Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)

After the last of 16 mounting screws has been removed from an access cover, it will be discovered that the wrong access cover has been removed.~ De La Lastra's Law

Life is something that everyone should try at least once.
~ Henry J. Tillman

All power corrupts, but we need the electricity.
~ Unknown

A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds.
~ Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.~ Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.~ John F. Kennedy (1917 - 1963), Speech in Indianapolis, April 12, 1959

I was walking down the street wearing glasses when the prescription ran out.~ Steven Wright (1955 - )~

There are two kinds of people, those who finish what they start and so on.
~Robert Byrne

People who ask our advice almost never take it. Yet we should never refuse to give it, upon request, for it often helps us to see our own way more clearly.~ Brendan Francis

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.~ Erica JongIn giving advice, seek to help, not please, your friend.~ Solon (638 BC - 559 BC)

A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat.~ P. J. O'Rourke (1947 - )

A man who is not afraid is not aggressive, a man who has no sense of fear of any kind is really a free, a peaceful man.~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Never advise anyone to go to war or to marry.~ Spanish Proverb

I could crush him like an ant. But it would be too easy. No, revenge is a dish best served cold. I'll bide my time until ... Oh, what the hell. I'll just crush him like an ant.~ Mr. Burns (The Simpsons)

Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But only if the grapes were good in the first place.~ Abigail Van Buren (1918 - )

Sooner or later we all quote our mothers.~ Bern Williams

Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.~ Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

If your parents never had children, chances are you won't, either.~ Dick Cavett (1936 - )

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.~ Charles Wadsworth

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity.~ Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions--as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all.~ Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900), The Gay Science, section 41On

e's first step in wisdom is to question everything - and one's last is to come to terms with everything.~ Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)A young man is embarrassed to question an older one.~ Homer (800 BC - 700 BC), The Odyssey

It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.
~ James Thurber (1894 - 1961)

Ask questions from your heart and you will be answered from the heart.~ Omaha ProverbThere are two sides to every question.
~ Protagoras (485 BC - 421 BC), from Diogenes Laertius, Lives of Eminent

Philosophers

It is not every question that deserves an answer.
~ Publilius Syrus (~100 BC), Maxims

"Here’s my theory about meetings and life; the three things you can’t fake are erections, competence and creativity. That’s why meetings become toxic they put uncreative people in a situation in which they have to be something they can never be. And the more effort they put into concealing their inabilities, the more toxic the meeting becomes. One of the most common creativity-faking tactics is when someone puts their hands in prayer position and conceals their mouth while they nod at you and say, 'Mmmmmm. Interesting.' If pressed, they’ll add, 'I’ll have to get back to you on that.' Then they don’t say anything else."
~ Douglas Coupland

The Argument from Intimidation is a confession of intellectual impotence.~ Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982), The Virtue of Selfishness, 1964

If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it would have changed the history of music... and of aviation.~ Tom Stoppard (1937 - )

My parents only had one argument in forty-five years. It lasted forty-three years.~ Cathy Ladman

He who strikes the first blow admits he's lost the argument.~ Chinese Proverb

I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me.Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms.~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Use soft words and hard arguments.~ English Proverb

The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it deliberately with faulty arguments.~ Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900), The Gay Science, section 191

The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion.~ G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)

No matter what side of the argument you are on, you always find people on your side that you wish were on the other.~ Jascha Heifetz (1901 - 1987)

If you go in for argument, take care of your temper. Your logic, if you have any, will take care of itself.~ Joseph Farrell

Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute.~ Josh Billings (1818 - 1885)

Even the Eastern esotericists, who don't even believe in God, are capable of understanding that the 'thinker' is incapable of observing the thoughts of the 'thinker' but can only 'think' about the thoughts of the 'thinker'.Jiddu Krishnamurti

Behind every argument is someone's ignorance.~ Louis D. Brandeis (1856 - 1941)

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.~ Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
If you shoot at mimes, should you use a silencer?~ Steven Wright (1955 - )

"As a matter of law, the house is haunted."NY Supreme Court, Appellate DivisionStambovsky v. Ackley169 A.D.2d 254, 572 N.Y.S.2d 672

“Everyone has his own specific vocation or mission in life; everyone must carry out a concrete assignment that demands fulfillment. Therein he cannot be replaced, nor can his life be repeated, thus, everyone's task is unique as his specific opportunity.”
~Unknown

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
50d9efd2da1dedeff76e700a2c392599e16cd775e3687eb6325b53489fd991ce.jpg

florduh

"Cannabis is a living medicine. There is a dynamic relationship that people have with cannabis over time. People can start with symptom relief. But they can step into how cannabis can alter their consciousness to help them become more themselves, centered, and whole. That’s where healing becomes profound. That’s why I say that the most powerful therapeutic effects are often the psychoactive effects."

Dr. Dustin Sulak

one of my favorite Esports players said this a few weeks ago and I really liked it

Optic Pistola on how him and his team play so well together: 'every day we walk into the studio we put our ego on that shelf over there, we can pick it up when we need it, but we rely on our teamwork and experience'

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
All the hate that feeds your needs
All the sickness you conceive
All the horror you create
Will bring you to your knees
-------------------------------
Anathema - Judgement (1999)

Top Bottom