• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Extraction - how dark does your AVB get?

How dark is your AVB / extraction?

• Dark dark, closest to the left pile of AVB

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Getting dark, between the left & middle pile of AVB

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • Medium brown or so, similar to the middle pile of AVB

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Light bown, can still see some green bits, similar to the right pile of AVB

Votes: 6 8.1%

• Total voters

CANtalk

Here's a range of AVB extraction from a desktop vape recently. On the left it's very dark roasty brown and getting near pulverized. This plugs up screens very quickly. For the middle AVB pile, let's call it medium brown, and that's what I typically vape to. On the right, the AVB pile is light brown. It still has green bits visible and is still quite intact as well.
hn2llc32v8ga1.jpg

The pile of dark AVB on the left is not from me fwiw, rather it's from a combuster friend who'll use my desktop vape when they visit. Any they seem to enjoy roasting the AVB that much.

All this gets me wondering how much extraction other vapers aim for. May as well put up an anonymous poll and see where vapers reside on this scale.

Cheers

Last edited:

Madtater

Honestly, it depends on the flower…but for the majority, i try to keep it close to the middle pile. It also depends if i am using any glass with my roffu or just without it. I find i am a bit on the dark side when i use glass because if how smooth the draw and vapor is…so i draw a bit more.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I have settled on "getting dark", but how you get there makes a difference. Rapid convection vaporisation with a ball vape does not degrade the flavour much at all compared to slower roasting.

Also, testing with a Titianium tip Dynavap, going for "dark dark" through a bubbler is much tastier than without...

Will sometimes go to dark dark when it's time to couch lock.

Last edited:

Skropi

That's not for me. I like to vape dry for full spectrum doses & the high heat dark stuff is too hard on my lungs.

And less than full extraction need not be wasteful. Collect the AVB and make edibles, cheers!
I do vape dry with the Runt, and you are right, it does become harsher when the plant material becomes darker, but I just vape with a lower temperature when it becomes harsher. Controlling the heat with the SB Runt is not hard.
I do collect the avb though, but till now I made some resin out of it, by putting it in ISO, and then passing it through a coffee filter and letting the ISO evaporate. Do you think that making edibles would be better? How much grams of avb would be enough for a single edible dose? Too many variables, I know, I just need a ballpark figure.

CANtalk

I do vape dry with the Runt, and you are right, it does become harsher when the plant material becomes darker, but I just vape with a lower temperature when it becomes harsher. Controlling the heat with the SB Runt is not hard.
I do collect the avb though, but till now I made some resin out of it, by putting it in ISO, and then passing it through a coffee filter and letting the ISO evaporate. Do you think that making edibles would be better? How much grams of avb would be enough for a single edible dose? Too many variables, I know, I just need a ballpark figure.
I don't know about edibles vs resin, but such choices are typically personal preference. Converting AVB to edibles will bring lots of interesting options. FC has lots of good edible suggestions & information. Check out the FC threads in the cooking with cannabis subforum and post any questions up, I'm no expert but FC has lots of info & many helpful members. There are many recipes on the internet too. Check out water curing too as part of doing edibles. Cheers.

I don't know how to estimate AVB dosing with edibles. Other members may have some good feedback. I've been collecting lots of AVB which I'll use for to make a batch of edible at some point, and from there I'll see how much it takes to get me feeling high. And one can always pick up some edibles with a known dose for comparison day to day or so.

Hope that helps, vape on & enjoy.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:
CANtalk,
Reactions: Skropi

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
Don't use ISO for things like that. Use ethanol, ISO isn't pure enough for applications like this. Just use that for cleaning stuff (and rinse afterwards!).
This. I used to make concentrates with ISO but stopped with that, even if that means I can’t make any more since I haven’t found any high percentage alcohol in my country.

My POTV one always ends up like the first pile when I finish it off on the highest temperature (430).

FF2+ could also get that dark if I kept stirring the bowl and extracted everything I could get. Airizer EQ and PAX3 almost always ended up like the second pile no matter what I did.

Downside of POTV one might be that ABV is too far spent for making edibles.. Made some good brownies with the lighter stuff but haven't tried it with the darker stuff yet.

Here's a range of AVB extraction from a desktop vape recently. On the left it's very dark roasty brown and getting near pulverized. This plugs up screens very quickly. For the middle AVB pile, let's call it medium brown, and that's what I typically vape to. On the right, the AVB pile is light brown. It still has green bits visible and is still quite intact as well.
hn2llc32v8ga1.jpg

The pile of dark AVB on the left is not from me fwiw, rather it's from a combuster friend who'll use my desktop vape when they visit. Any they seem to enjoy roasting the AVB that much.

All this gets me wondering how much extraction other vapers aim for. May as well put up an anonymous poll and see where vapers reside on this scale.

Cheers
I usually judge by taste. Once the vapor tastes acrid I stop, and the AVB ends up looking like dark roast coffee like the pipe on the left. Hope this helps!

Pinte

Depends how high I want to get. I'm usually fine with the middle pile. I'll go almost black if I want to go to the moon.

I usually dump after every session anyway, it's cheap enough and vapes use a small amount as it is. My tolerance is low, i'm mostly a weekend warrior.

LeftBased

I like the middle pile even though I don't make edibles as much... you can sprinkle herb inside yogurt.

LeftBased,
Reactions: CANtalk

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Depends on the vape and the material. Some vapes require me to roast till coffee-ground brown to get everything out of the herb, and some vapes are able to extract completely without having to roast the material to such a dark color, and it ends up tan or dark-tan then. Also, some flower keeps providing vapor for many more hits than other kinds of flower, and therefore ends up getting roasted darker than other strains of flower that stop giving up vapor much quicker.

So, the ABV color question is complicated.

I just vape my flower till it no longer releases vapor, and the final color of the ABV varies depending largely on the above factors, but is not even limited to just those variables in the end. Humidity levels and other things can also effect it.

Last edited:

Old Moderate

For me it’s close to the dark pile with the dynavap, 1-heat up extraction, the middle using a hybrid vape like the POTV one or edge, and honestly the right light pile with the full convection, high air flow TM2, which I appear to be able to extract all the vapor out at a low setting (3) without harsh flavors, taking multiple hits. As far as my body and mind can tell I’m getting medicated similarly. Though, now I’m intrigued to try some experiments…

stinkytofus

Depends, if newvape, hit dark brown in one hit, dynavap 1-2 hits dark brown, sticky brick Jr and milaana 2-3 hits

stinkytofus,

gangababa

Estoy de aquerdo con @Ramahs. I know when the flower has flown and what is left is not what I want.
In the picture I posted, I pushed to the limit and conduction was certain.
At times I turn out colors that seem too light, leaving me to wonder and worry although I know the flower has faded.

gangababa,
Top Bottom