• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Elevape SV

Vape Dr.

@Vape Dr. - What diameter size screen are you starting with? Any links for buying them. I have been using the stir lid for the longest time, but I have always found myself on the cusp of combustion which I really don't like because sometimes it just happens and it tastes horrible and smells and I just hate combustion altogether now. I have tried the bottle cap method in the past but found myself stirring it to often and also struggling to get enough heat to the flowers. I am thinking about trying this method again after reading your post above.

Also, I was looking back at post 1101 and ended up in your photobucket. You have a couple pictures of a mill finished ESV body that looks quite interesting. I'm not sure if you ever mentioned it in this thread before, but was that a prototype you were working on yourself or something you were working on with Joe/IpuffUSA? The pictures show a very similar body, however it looks like the mill finish body in the picture would provide some very much needed extra protection to the coil & coil sensor lens from ABV particles. Looks interesting at the very least...

I use a 5/8s stainless screen I believe from the hardware store. That pic is from before the Elevape existed and just a keepsake. it is non functioning and just a early mock up. It is actually my paper weight! Sweet paper weight eh!

If you are close to combusting, have you tried tweaking your coil?
What is your set up?
The stir lid won't get you closer to combustion, actually the opposite.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@Vape Dr. - What diameter size screen are you starting with? Any links for buying them. I have been using the stir lid for the longest time, but I have always found myself on the cusp of combustion which I really don't like because sometimes it just happens and it tastes horrible and smells and I just hate combustion altogether now. I have tried the bottle cap method in the past but found myself stirring it to often and also struggling to get enough heat to the flowers. I am thinking about trying this method again after reading your post above.

Also, I was looking back at post 1101 and ended up in your photobucket. You have a couple pictures of a mill finished ESV body that looks quite interesting. I'm not sure if you ever mentioned it in this thread before, but was that a prototype you were working on yourself or something you were working on with Joe/IpuffUSA? The pictures show a very similar body, however it looks like the mill finish body in the picture would provide some very much needed extra protection to the coil & coil sensor lens from ABV particles. Looks interesting at the very least...

I always say stir every hit for best results, its pure convection, still pretty necessary (though Zion can get away with little to no stirring somehow, some FFs can potentially, and GH ofcourse) with this wide bowl. Sudden combustion can occur if one spot keeps getting overcooked for example, and taste ofcourse suffers as well. I've always said you at least want to stir every other hit. I've tried shaking, stir lid, screens etc, and its always been the case for me that they get by but best is still to crack it open and really flip the load around, stir lid can't do that well imo. Bottle cap screen makes this (and heating overall) more even though) I used Indica screens i then cut down.

Vape Dr.

I never stir the chamber in the Elevape. @Shit Snacks try putting less material in the chamber with the bottle cap screen. With the Elevape I find less material works much better. Try only filling the chamber 3/4s full.

This is not the zion or the zion thread, which I saw you are having issues with as well.

The FireFly is only good for 4-6 draws no matter what.

The grasshopper has its own thread to post on as well, which I'm curious how you know about stirring or not stirring. As far as I know you do not own a grasshopper yet. That's speculation and the few people that have one are having issues with them.

IMO the Elevape is the best portable convection vaporizer on the market and many many people have been enjoying the Elevape for a very long time.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I have my coil bent as close to the lens as possible and lately I easily reach combustion at 310 if I take a big hit. I was thinking the strains I have had the past couple of months are much drier as I seem to be able to make these flowers combust pretty easily in the Daisy even.

I don't understand your thought process about the stir lid keeping you from combustion. The stir lid definitely retains heat. If you torch it (which I have to clean it), it will go red in seconds. This becomes an extra element of heat retention and transfer, that technically the ESV was not originally designed to handle. I could be wrong with my thought process here, so please explain what your mean by the stir lid keeping me away from combustion.

I really do love my ESV, but it is often so close to combustion that I still get frustrated from time to time.

nosmoking,
Reactions: tripwire

Shit Snacks

I never stir the chamber in the Elevape. @Shit Snacks try putting less material in the chamber with the bottle cap screen. With the Elevape I find less material works much better. Try only filling the chamber 3/4s full.

This is not the zion or the zion thread, which I saw you are having issues with as well.

The FireFly is only good for 4-6 draws no matter what.

The grasshopper has its own thread to post on as well, which I'm curious how you know about stirring or not stirring. As far as I know you do not own a grasshopper yet. That's speculation and the few people that have one are having issues with them.

IMO the Elevape is the best portable convection vaporizer on the market and many many people have been enjoying the Elevape for a very long time.

Firstly, I don't know why you're being, rather, confrontational? I've posted here for a long time praising ESV (even helped convince you to get one...) And comparing it to various other on demand pure convection units I have.

Why I bring up Zion again, bc it replaced ESV as my favorite convection unit, and I don't know what you mean by issues, don't believe I posted anything about any kind of issue with that over there bc it has been quite wonderful to me...

FF is definitely capable of more than 6 draws too, so I don't know what you mean there either... The FF I had had that didn't need stirring gave me at least 8 or 10 bits a bowl (likely had a lower set temp than the one I have now, part of this and the less stirring it needed).

And yeah, obv GH has a thread too... You posted in there about loving the ESV, how is comparing them here any different? Not a single person has reported of stirring needed in the Hopper, regardless of me trying one, that is a pretty clear cut feature the way the oven and heater are designed, I have researched heavily.

Again, issues not withstanding, I mean many in the thread had many ESV issues, I don't think anyone was debating that... I agree Elevape is a great product, and always have, been enjoying mine longer than you in fact...

And yes I am using less material now too, as I said, courser, still find I need stirring, shaking doesn't do it. It's possible without, and I've done sessions without stirring with course and fine grinds, it worked but overall the best vapor experience involves regular stirring imo

With these kind of manual convection units, individual user experience can vary quite a bit, as we've seen here. That's why I'm sharing another perspective, you are an ESV champion for sure, and i appreciate everything youve done in here, but everybody's different so another user experience could help others

Last edited:

Vape Dr.

@nosmoking The allen screw is a heat sink, the stir lid takes the heat from the center of the chamber. As I stated I went with the bottle cap screen because there is still residual heat from the stir lid.

@Shit Snacks I did mention the Elevape on the hopper thread because I am waiting for one myself. I also said they are not near a completed problem free model. I love convection and am always looking for a new portable. I basically said I'm glad I have the Elevape to enjoy while reading about the problems of the hopper on the thread.
I was not be confrontational, I apologize if I came off that way.
I am speaking from my personal experiences.

Shit Snacks

@nosmoking The allen screw is a heat sink, the stir lid takes the heat from the center of the chamber. As I stated I went with the bottle cap screen because there is still residual heat from the stir lid.

@Shit Snacks I did mention the Elevape on the hopper thread because I am waiting for one myself. I also said they are not near a completed problem free model. I love convection and am always looking for a new portable. I basically said I'm glad I have the Elevape to enjoy while reading about the problems of the hopper on the thread.
I was not be confrontational, I apologize if I came off that way.
I am speaking from my personal experiences.

Yeah no worries, I just felt like you telling me I had no right to talk about those models in my own Elevape experience (and making some false generalizations about them). I can't ignore my other units bc the Elevape set a very high bar for them (evident in my posts here), its very interesting to compare pure convection across several effective units. I agree the Hopper has a longer road ahead of it with all its complexities, ESV has always been fairly simple in its design despite its advanced features (another benefit of the Zion line, and Daisy/Lily too, these three companies provide some of the best full bodied convection hits I've experienced to date)

Vape Dr.

It's all good. I watch several threads and was just mentioning you had problems because you had posted about the zions tolerances being off, having air gaps, and the screen not fitting. That's all bro, didn't mean to hit a nerve. My bad.

I was just mentioning that all portable convection vapes have issues at one time or another.
The grasshopper is currently having many issues that need to be addressed now.

The Elevape is the only truly portable convection vape on the market right now, and no heat up time rules. The zion is the size of a mighty (which isn't a practical portable like the crafty) and when I think portable I think small that's all.

:peace:

Shit Snacks

It's all good. I watch several threads and was just mentioning you had problems because you had posted about the zions tolerances being off, having air gaps, and the screen not fitting. That's all bro, didn't mean to hit a nerve. My bad.

I was just mentioning that all portable convection vapes have issues at one time or another.
The grasshopper is currently having many issues that need to be addressed now.

The Elevape is the only truly portable convection vape on the market right now, and no heat up time rules. The zion is the size of a mighty (which isn't a practical portable like the crafty) and when I think portable I think small that's all.

:peace:

Ahhh now I see what you were saying. All miscommunications then, no real nerve, you know how written word can be (this ain't no EDA situation ;) brother!). We both follow each other, and I've learned a ton from you and respect you very much personally, so silly for it to happen to us, but can to anyone I suppose...

Oh and all those issues were just with an aftermarket bent stem I was trying out with it, I think thats what you're referring to, and yeah my Zion is a bit rough actually being a beta, but no issues for me and the team at all really... I look forward to you trying that model someday too, true nowhere near portable like the Elevape (I just have been enjoying the performance so much that it has compensated, and thankfully RBT has a stealth unit in the beta works too).

I would just add qualifiers that Elevape is the only stealthy, instant, battery powered convection portable on the market now (I think, theres others but that should cover it pretty much :p)

Last edited:

blackbur

I have my coil bent as close to the lens as possible and lately I easily reach combustion at 310 if I take a big hit. I was thinking the strains I have had the past couple of months are much drier as I seem to be able to make these flowers combust pretty easily in the Daisy even.

I don't understand your thought process about the stir lid keeping you from combustion. The stir lid definitely retains heat. If you torch it (which I have to clean it), it will go red in seconds. This becomes an extra element of heat retention and transfer, that technically the ESV was not originally designed to handle. I could be wrong with my thought process here, so please explain what your mean by the stir lid keeping me away from combustion.

I really do love my ESV, but it is often so close to combustion that I still get frustrated from time to time.

Woah woah woah no need to torch it.
I use a method called bottle cap hash..not ripping off anyone's idea.
I take a steel bottlecap fill it with 99% ISO alc and place my screens..stir lid and even the lid itself.
I let them soak until all the debris settles and the alc is golden or green.
Let it evape then scrape..I do the same with my esv in a double shot glass.
I hate letting vapor honey go to waste.

On combustion issue...what range is your serial number in?
Also software version?
Might be time to send it in

Vape Dr.

Good call @blackbur.

@nosmoking you may need to get the updated 1.34 app or as @blackbur also mentioned, if you have an older model you might want to send it to Joe and have him check your batteries.

Your issue may have nothing to do with the stir lid at all.

With the 1.33 app you were able to use it while it was plugged in. This put a huge strain on the batteries. The 1.34 app you can not use it as a pass through, but the new app gives you roughly 20% more battery life.

The elevape uses 6 lithium polymer batteries.
If one or more of your batteries are bad you may have poor conductivity. If the internal resistance is too high because of this they can't deliver the current "bursts" the Elevape needs to function properly.

All 6 batteries are all also 3.7v, The Elevape requires a lot of juice to function.

Contact Joe and send it in. Joe is a fantastic guy and stands behind the Elevape 150%. I am sure he can fix your issues quickly and have you back to enjoying your Elevape asap.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Both of you guys must have missed it, but I have mentioned in this thread recently that I am unit A001143 and I have updated the software and seen the expected results of no operation/function when plugged in and extended battery life. I also mentioned that I have suspicion that my battery does have issues due to being 'slammed' so many times prior to the software update.

The battery could be an issue because sometimes I feel like I get differing results with the same methods and strains, but typically everything works the same and I am borderline combustion towards the end of every hit after 3 or 4 hits. I'm holding off on sending it in again until my Zion comes in.

My ESV is so new it only came with a stir lid. I don't have the screw to have just a screen so my option is stir lid or bottle cap screen. I also modified my stir lid by cutting off what material I could to minimize surface area. I have been trying your bottle cap screen method for 3 of my typical sessions so far with success as long as I don't overfill. I will keep trying this, however I feel like I am always checking on the flower to see if I am getting an even extraction. There may be a couple flakes that don't get dark, but mostly I am getting an evenly dark ABV with this method so far.

@blackbur - I typically do reclaim materials from the stir lid, but I have torched it when time was a bigger priority than recycling.

@Vape Dr. - Why did you drill out your ESV cap like you did? It looks like it would improve airflow and reduce heat retention even more which seem like good benefits. If this is the case it had me thinking, why not flip your screen to make it a bucket screen? This would allow more room for the flowers to flip around in when shaking the ESV to avoid stirring...not that you mentioned having stirring issues cause I realize you stated you typically do not need to stir because you only pack the chamber 3/4 full. I have been trying this method for the last 4 sessions and it seems to be working well for me. Sometimes I get a little overzealous and pack too much and have to stir once towards the end but I can really max out my hits much more without concern of combustion it seems.

Last edited:

blackbur

@nosmoking understand 100%.

I used needle nose pliers and ripped off the fins on my lid and used the bottle cap method.
It's amazing how many more tasty hits I'm getting..I never realized the stir lid was cooking my load so much.
Thanks vape dr. !
IMO with the bottle cap method its on par with my crafty which is collecting dust..:borg:

Vape Dr.

@blackbur You are welcome my friend!

@nosmoking I did try using a reverse bucket screen as well as a dished shaped screen kinda like a contact lens. They we not as efficient because after you fill the chamber and put the lid on you flip the unit upside down (or right side up) and the material is further away from the coil. The dished screen worked pretty well but it is a PITA to seat the screen in the air gap holes on the sides of the lid.

I actually had to use a coarse and fine screen to keep everything in place and it was more difficult to clean the screen without dislodging it.

So far the bottle cap seems the easiest most efficient method IMO but I'm constantly trying out new methods. If I find a better method I will post for sure!

As of now my personal preference for best results with least amount of cleaning is:
Oven chamber: fine-coarse-fine
Coil tweaked towards the pyrex camera lens (don't worry it wont melt).
And hollowed out chamber lid with a short bottle cap fine screen.

I'm sure results may vary but this has been a stellar set up for me so far.

I also vape at 305-310-315. Very low temps, excellent taste and vapor with an average of 18-20 draws per 3/4 full chamber.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Coil tweaked towards the pyrex camera lens
Sorry but I don't understand, I bent my coil, but "tweaked towards..." (I don't understand english very well!), so if I understand well you tried to put your coil positionned exactly between the camera lens and your load...is it a game changer? did you notice a trully difference?

Thanks about your elevape research program!

edit: I noticed with mine : dirtier is the unit, hotter is the heat ( a combination of reduced airflow and dirty lens I think)

Vape Dr.

Same thing @PPN bent/tweaked. I pushed the far edge of the coil down a little bit with a butter knife so the coil is at a bit of an angle towards the camera lens, but still flat.

Vape Dr.,
Reactions: tripwire

Betty White

The one thing i can't figure out is why the battery charging indicator won't turn green. Unless I unplug and re plug the unit in. Happens when pc shows battery hovering at 99%. Anyone have any experience?

I cannot charge my Elevape with the wall charger and cable. The light does not turn green. I had this problem when I first got it. Sent it in to be updated since I bought an open box and my number is 50. Joe replaced the cable and wall charger, but it still doesn't work. I've been charging it for about 24 hours and still no green light. I then put it on the app with the computer. Now with the app, it showed 100% charged but still no green light initially. The light came on after about 15 minutes. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Mr Mellish

I don't know what to think anymore. The portable vape business is a bitch, y'all.

I have a Crafty I'm quite happy with; had it since November 2014 and no issues yet...but only 26 hours of use (insomnia tool). Based on the Crafty thread, it seems only a matter of time until my unit pukes.

Love my Vapman but the torch is noisy and a bit smelly...not exactly the best where stealth is important.

Ordered the GrassHopper in March and the order has been bumped multiple times with a May ship date now hovering around November.

Just wanting to get something else as a backup, I started reading this thread. 40-50 pages in, I was excited and ordered one. Now that I've finally finished the thread, I'm getting nervous. Should I have ordered a MiVape instead? VaporNation hasn't helped. I must be expecting too much based on my experience with other retailers but I really thought something ordered on Sept 9 would have shipped by now. No love there either.

The primary cause for my concern is that the issues I was reading about from last February appear to remain (aside from the software update that looks like a winner). It seems we have a couple of folks who are using a stock unit and enjoying it but there is an awful lot of modding going on to get the unit to where people want it to be. I don't want to be a modder. I'm the proud owner of a Persei/Herc combo and love the damn thing but when people start going off about all the opportunities for tweaking the Persei and globes/coils/voltages, my eyes glaze over worse than if I had gone crazy with an amazing strain.

Am I going to have to screw with this thing to make it work? With my limited vape collection, I don't have extra screens, tips, or 510 batteries (for the bottle cap mod---although I do expect a Crafty liquid pad to be repurposed to try concentrates in the ESV). What's a guy to do if modding is necessary but the tools/parts just aren't there? Hell, if a steady hand is required, that probably isn't there either. I thought W9 products were the ones for people who can't help fucking with things but I'm starting to have my doubts about the ESV (admittedly unfair, since I haven't tried it yet but this thread certainly gives one pause).

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I don't know what to think anymore. The portable vape business is a bitch, y'all.

I have a Crafty I'm quite happy with; had it since November 2014 and no issues yet...but only 26 hours of use (insomnia tool). Based on the Crafty thread, it seems only a matter of time until my unit pukes.

Love my Vapman but the torch is noisy and a bit smelly...not exactly the best where stealth is important.

Ordered the GrassHopper in March and the order has been bumped multiple times with a May ship date now hovering around November.

Just wanting to get something else as a backup, I started reading this thread. 40-50 pages in, I was excited and ordered one. Now that I've finally finished the thread, I'm getting nervous. Should I have ordered a MiVape instead? VaporNation hasn't helped. I must be expecting too much based on my experience with other retailers but I really thought something ordered on Sept 9 would have shipped by now. No love there either.

The primary cause for my concern is that the issues I was reading about from last February appear to remain (aside from the software update that looks like a winner). It seems we have a couple of folks who are using a stock unit and enjoying it but there is an awful lot of modding going on to get the unit to where people want it to be. I don't want to be a modder. I'm the proud owner of a Persei/Herc combo and love the damn thing but when people start going off about all the opportunities for tweaking the Persei and globes/coils/voltages, my eyes glaze over worse than if I had gone crazy with an amazing strain.

Am I going to have to screw with this thing to make it work? With my limited vape collection, I don't have extra screens, tips, or 510 batteries (for the bottle cap mod---although I do expect a Crafty liquid pad to be repurposed to try concentrates in the ESV). What's a guy to do if modding is necessary but the tools/parts just aren't there? Hell, if a steady hand is required, that probably isn't there either. I thought W9 products were the ones for people who can't help fucking with things but I'm starting to have my doubts about the ESV (admittedly unfair, since I haven't tried it yet but this thread certainly gives one pause).
Breathe.

It's new. You always have those that MUST rip a new thing apart and figure out how to make it all different as somehow "better"... and, yes, it has taken a few minor adjustments as the vape gets enough user hours to determine how to make it perform the best (I'm speaking on the production scale)... but the base unit itself, as you get it, is solid. It works.

I think you will be happy with it, for what it is good for. Instant, silent, ninja vaping without a fuss.

Mr Mellish

Breathe.

It's new. You always have those that MUST rip a new thing apart and figure out how to make it all different as somehow "better"... and, yes, it has taken a few minor adjustments as the vape gets enough user hours to determine how to make it perform the best (I'm speaking on the production scale)... but the base unit itself, as you get it, is solid. It works.

I think you will be happy with it, for what it is good for. Instant, silent, ninja vaping without a fuss.

Yes, @Enchantre , you're one of those I was thinking of who has had good luck with a stock model and I think that is great. I'm not in panic mode, so my breathing is calm. For the most part, I believe what you're saying but I'm not sure at what point a vape stops being new. Looks like this one is a year and a half old. Compared to the fun in the GH thread, iPuff seems to have things much more effectively under control.

My expectation is that the ESV will meet my needs out of the box but I'm not convinced yet. I don't get the impression that everyone who is tweaking is doing so out of a compulsion to tinker; they seem to be doing it to get a functional unit. By the end of the week, @Vape Dr. and Joe may start getting PM's from their least capable student yet...

OF

I then put it on the app with the computer. Now with the app, it showed 100% charged but still no green light initially. The light came on after about 15 minutes. Any thoughts?

I see this too, depending on exactly where I charge it. It seems like USB ports 'a bit on the high side' (voltage wise) do better.

But I think you really should be avoiding 'chasing the green light' if you want maximum battery life. I use my 'gadget' (charge controller) to limit the recharge to about 90% (rather than 100%) which should DOUBLE THE LIFESPAN of the battery if that sort of stuff interests you? Give up a few puffs per recharge but get twice as many recharges? A good deal in my book.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
Check out the stuff around Table 4. IMO the last few percent is to be avoided if you can?

Am I going to have to screw with this thing to make it work?

I think that depends on you somewhat? Getting it to make vapor just like you want is sure to at least involve 'tweaking' the heat values. Like many/most of us bending the coil down a bit to address the normal hot spot that seem to show up with the way some of us hit it (more extreme for 'sippers'?) as well but that's not a big deal to do (and a kitchen knife is an appropriate tool) and is a 'one time' adjustment for the most part. I think most of us are happy with the stock screen setup, although it does need cleaning from time to time (no big deal IMO, easy to remove and torch clean again).

If you want a solid, easy to use vape that doesn't seem to breakdown you might consider Solo. Air should be as good you'd think, but it doesn't yet have years of trouble free service under it's belt.

ESV is a good vape I think, it may or may not 'fit your pistol'. The quest for the perfect vape continues.

OF

Mr Mellish

The main thing(along with experimenting with your draw speed) is to angle your coil(pics have been posted), and put a screen in the lid. Not difficult and doesn't require any special tools really.

Thanks. I will see to this when I have the ESV. These are examples, though, of what I was asking about. If these tweaks have become ubiquitous, why not incorporate them into the manufacturing process and ship them that way (if not the additional screen, at least the coil adjustment)?

OF

If these tweaks have become ubiquitous, why not incorporate them into the manufacturing process and ship them that way (if not the additional screen, at least the coil adjustment)?

I think the answer is the assumption that EVERYONE bends their coils down is not correct. If, for example, you stir after each hit (like with MFLB) uneven air temperature delivery can be a feature lowering total power needs and speeding up the response (just as it does in the LB). If it can supply the hit without having to use time and power to heat more than needed it's a plus?

Looked at the other way, coil configuration was surely investigated some in the development, lots of solid design is evident in other places in the unit, such an oversight seems unlikely.

I suggest you try it out, IMO it's a great vape. Try it as shipped, adjusting as suits you. If, in the end, it's a poor fit you can move on with clear conscience. It's not, I think, for everyone. Kind of a 'thinking man's vape'. If, OTOH, you find a fit with it's outstanding performance potential (as I hope and think you will) considerable enjoyment lies ahead......

Best wishes,

OF

Top Bottom