DynaVap M worse than Session Vaporizers?

Syncourt

To preface, I think (thought?) I am a light-moderate user since I've predominantly only used session vaporizers and found the half-bowl on the DynaVap to be woefully inadequate. Yes, I know better butane vaporizers exists.

After years of seeing countless stories of "DynaVap destroys my Mighty" or "DynaVap made me quit combusting", I finally decided to jump in and see what the hubbub was all about last BF. Shortly after, I purchased a Simrell FMJ as it wasn't living up to my expectations of potency (and I hated twirling lol). It improved it and I am able to clear a full bowl in 2/3 hits but...I'm still getting higher from a full session from my session vaporizers. To elaborate, the initial high is understandably higher than the first few puffs of any of my session vaporizers but the sessions end up higher overall. The first minute, the DynaVap quickly gets me to a 7, the bowl is done and the high diminishes afterwards. The first minute with a session vaporizer, I'm at a 2, by the third minute, I've crept up to a 5, and by the end, I'm at a 9 and the high slowly diminishes afterwards.

Has this been true for anybody else? Is preference for sessions a thing?

Vaporware

Preference for sessions is definitely a thing! I’m glad that I can mostly get the best of both worlds with on-demand vaporizers, but some people are just more into a slower session. :)

If you are, you might try a couple of things with your M.

1. Take your second and third hit later instead of immediately. If you push it to the limit this may make it more likely to combust, but if you’re not getting super dark AVB you’ll probably be fine and stretch the session a bit.

2. You can also heat higher on the cap or get a low temp cap and get 5+ smaller draws over a longer period.

Also, when you’re comparing the results with another device, make sure you’re using a similar amount in each or you won’t have a fair comparison. :)

hinglemccringleberry

Are you comparing apples to apples when it comes to the size of your load?

DV holds 0.05-0.1 grams. All of the session vapes I'm aware of hold at least 2-3x more than that.

It's not exactly a valid comparison if youre consuming 0.2 in your session vape and 0.1 in your DV....

Last edited:

Syncourt

Preference for sessions is definitely a thing! I’m glad that I can mostly get the best of both worlds with on-demand vaporizers, but some people are just more into a slower session. :)

If you are, you might try a couple of things with your M.

1. Take your second and third hit later instead of immediately. If you push it to the limit this may make it more likely to combust, but if you’re not getting super dark AVB you’ll probably be fine and stretch the session a bit.

2. You can also heat higher on the cap or get a low temp cap and get 5+ smaller draws over a longer period.

Thanks for the tips! I've definitely been quickly re-heating after I hear the cooldown click to finish the bowl as fast as possible.

I have a FMJ on and found it to be a superior experience to the original cap. Granted, I've been heating from the bottom of the cap the entire time for the bigger hits so the thought of multiple re-heats while twirling (ugghhhh) isn't appealing to me lol.

Also, when you’re comparing the results with another device, make sure you’re using a similar amount in each or you won’t have a fair comparison. :)
Are you comparing apples to apples when it comes to the size of your load?

DV holds 0.05-0.1 grams. All of the session vapes I'm aware of hold at least 2-3x more than that.

It's not exactly a valid comparison if youre consuming 0.2 in your session vape and 0.1 in your DV....

I also hate cleaning so I'm always using dosing capsules (if applicable) making the amount of herb held 0.1-0.15g compared to the DynaVap's 0.1g.

I'm mainly wondering if something's wrong as I usually read how much people prefer DynaVap's hits (I'm assuming which is how high they get) over a proper session. Most people are talking at how much more efficient vaporizing is compared to combustion and I've definitely read how people are saving weed by switching to DynaVap from something like the Mighty so I don't think the amount is the end-all for the conversation.

Syncourt,

Razhumikin

Thanks for the tips! I've definitely been quickly re-heating after I hear the cooldown click to finish the bowl as fast as possible.

I have a FMJ on and found it to be a superior experience to the original cap. Granted, I've been heating from the bottom of the cap the entire time for the bigger hits so the thought of multiple re-heats while twirling (ugghhhh) isn't appealing to me lol.

I also hate cleaning so I'm always using dosing capsules (if applicable) making the amount of herb held 0.1-0.15g compared to the DynaVap's 0.1g.

I'm mainly wondering if something's wrong as I usually read how much people prefer DynaVap's hits (I'm assuming which is how high they get) over a proper session. Most people are talking at how much more efficient vaporizing is compared to combustion and I've definitely read how people are saving weed by switching to DynaVap from something like the Mighty so I don't think the amount is the end-all for the conversation.
A lot of people love dynavaps and a lot of people hate dynavaps. I, personally, dont like them at all. Maybe its just not for you. You should try an electric on demand vape.

Syncourt

A lot of people love dynavaps and a lot of people hate dynavaps. I, personally, dont like them at all. Maybe its just not for you. You should try an electric on demand vape.

Fair enough! I've only tried the V3 Pro and the Roffu for on-demand vaporizers and I ended up using them in session mode lol. I've looked at the others (FW8, TM2, AVLP) and I'm most interested in the FW8 but I'm hoping for a middle-ground between the FW8 and FW7 so maybe FW9? I'm likely never going to get the AVLP due to its dirty bowl even though the steampunk edition's colours appeal to me.

Dutch-Mic

The first minute, the DynaVap quickly gets me to a 7, the bowl is done and the high diminishes afterwards. The first minute with a session vaporizer, I'm at a 2, by the third minute, I've crept up to a 5, and by the end, I'm at a 9 and the high slowly diminishes afterwards.

Has this been true for anybody else? Is preference for sessions a thing?

Compared to a session vaporizer, like the Arizer ArGo, the Dynavap hits way harder in my experience. Somehow it hits me even harder than some well-known convection heavy-hitters! Therefore I prefer sometimes a session vape with which I can reach the desired high slowly without the need to pay attention to my torching technique.

You could experiment a bit with the recommendations @Vaporware gave you, but my gut feeling tells me there will be soon a new vaporizer in your hands!

Enjoy the search. :tup:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Yep. This is me. I much prefer on-demand devices and also don't really love vapcaps.

Although if you like a session and a torch, the vapman experience is hard to beat. Still a favorite.

jkeyes98

I've been using my dynavap for awhile and never was very psyched on the torch, so I got a Ispire wand and use that with the Dynavap and can either get 2 rips out of a cap or clear it with 1 if I change where the cap is in the wand. I also have the Roffu and V3 Pro and DV hits much harder for the material and time to consume the green. my dosing capsule for the Roffu holds a bit more material than the DV full cap. is the color of bud roughly the same after using both devices?

Razhumikin

Fair enough! I've only tried the V3 Pro and the Roffu for on-demand vaporizers and I ended up using them in session mode lol. I've looked at the others (FW8, TM2, AVLP) and I'm most interested in the FW8 but I'm hoping for a middle-ground between the FW8 and FW7 so maybe FW9? I'm likely never going to get the AVLP due to its dirty bowl even though the steampunk edition's colours appeal to me.
Yea the v3 pro and roffu are pretty low tier portables. Looking into artisan stuff is your best bet for sure. I havent tried the fw8, but the tm2 is a good choice. I would also recommend a good 510 like a splinter or an iheat, or a tp80 or milaana.

Syncourt

I've been using my dynavap for awhile and never was very psyched on the torch, so I got a Ispire wand and use that with the Dynavap and can either get 2 rips out of a cap or clear it with 1 if I change where the cap is in the wand. I also have the Roffu and V3 Pro and DV hits much harder for the material and time to consume the green. my dosing capsule for the Roffu holds a bit more material than the DV full cap. is the color of bud roughly the same after using both devices?

Yes! By temp-stepping throughout the session both AVB are similar in colour!

Yea the v3 pro and roffu are pretty low tier portables. Looking into artisan stuff is your best bet for sure. I havent tried the fw8, but the tm2 is a good choice. I would also recommend a good 510 like a splinter or an iheat, or a tp80 or milaana.

Yeah, the weird thing is that the V3 Pro and Roffu seems to hit similarly to the DynaVap in my experience. Granted, I don't often use them as they're my designated "outdoors vape". I've previously owned the Splinter out of those options and I sold it since I had a mod that couldn't use Artic Fox and was never good at wattage mode.

Syncourt,
Reactions: LeftBased

jkeyes98

Yes! By temp-stepping throughout the session both AVB are similar in colour!

Yeah, the weird thing is that the V3 Pro and Roffu seems to hit similarly to the DynaVap in my experience. Granted, I don't often use them as they're my designated "outdoors vape". I've previously owned the Splinter out of those options and I sold it since I had a mod that couldn't use Artic Fox and was never good at wattage mode.
Are you hitting either through glass? I found that I liked the Dynavap best dry through a large bubbler, Roffu also worked via bubbler but not as necessary. I think the upside to DV over the Roffu is the time to clear a bowl, I can do multiple DV bowls in the time it takes to run 1 Roffu session. My VONG with a 2021M tip (I think) hits super hard for the material used.

jkeyes98,
Reactions: Syncourt

Syncourt

Are you hitting either through glass? I found that I liked the Dynavap best dry through a large bubbler, Roffu also worked via bubbler but not as necessary. I think the upside to DV over the Roffu is the time to clear a bowl, I can do multiple DV bowls in the time it takes to run 1 Roffu session. My VONG with a 2021M tip (I think) hits super hard for the material used.

I mainly use the DynaVap natively but I have put it through the bong or jhook at times. I don't have the WPA for either the V3 Pro or Roffu but do for some of my other vaporizers, though it's a similar story in that I use it natively more often than not.

The amount of time is a big pro for the DynaVap but I find the time spent waiting for it to cool down so I can empty and refill is similar in length to a full session which ends up being bowl for bowl and my experience is that a session hits harder than a DynaVap bowl.

jkeyes98

I mainly use the DynaVap natively but I have put it through the bong or jhook at times. I don't have the WPA for either the V3 Pro or Roffu but do for some of my other vaporizers, though it's a similar story in that I use it natively more often than not.

The amount of time is a big pro for the DynaVap but I find the time spent waiting for it to cool down so I can empty and refill is similar in length to a full session which ends up being bowl for bowl and my experience is that a session hits harder than a DynaVap bowl.
I think the FMJ probably adds a bit of time for cooling so that's one upside to the induction heater. The other "must have" in my opinion is the Reload by Madheaters, The Decapper & Debowler + magnet means no downtime while the tip/cap are hot.

Vaporware

@Syncourt It really sounds to me like a lot of the people you’re hearing from are looking for that fast hit that lets them start to feel it before they even finish drawing and you’re more interested in a relaxed session where you get there over several slow and easy draws and don’t worry about trying to wreck yourself in a single hit.

I think sessions may just be your thing. I’ve never smoked, but a good comparison may be the way people use bongs vs joints. One big hit at a time that might knock you over vs as many smaller draws as you want until you’re where you want to be.

That really just comes down to personal preference! :)

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Totally possible you just have a preference for session vapes, but typically it is my understanding that with marijuana you hit the highest point you're going to get very shortly after ingestion (unless we're talking edibles) and it tapers off quickly--so something that can let you clear a large first hit would in theory get you higher than the same amount done via a session.

I think the biggest thing in your case is it really doesn't sound like an apples to apples comparison in terms of quantity. When I load those dosing caps (are you talking the S&B ones or a different style? I'm not familiar with the XMax caps for example, except that they exist so I don't know how much they hold) its closer to .15 - .2g. Even if we asssume the low end, .15g is 50% more capacity than the dynavap tip holds which is not a trivial amount. If you really want to accurately compare which gets you more loaded you can't pretend that one "just" having 50% more doesn't matter, you'd need to use both with the same amount and decide from there.

Again, though, maybe you just aren't a dyna person. I appreciate mine for what they are, and sometimes its a very fun change of pace to pull one out. I have a little MJA mini recycler that is a lot of fun to use with one, and it is my favorite portable when I'm doing something rugged where I'm worried about drops, slips, and falls or battery life constraints. But with all of that said, while I could be perfectly happy daily-driving a dyna, I am glad that it isn't my daily driver =).

2pumpchump

I'm a fan of dynavap to be fair I only have had 3 vape experience .... in all fairness 1once 20 years ago with a home made method that was a fail ! The 2nd was 10 years or better ago with a cheap e vape adapter not impressed . The 3rd was a friends dynavap. Finally something that worked after looking at prices i still not convinced to buy 1 so he bought me a 2021 m after figure out heating and draw methods that suit me I had to replace the cap I purchased a Omni tip kit as a repair/ upgrade it witch is now my favorite combo I also purchased a techrinic stem and stainless tip kit it was about the same price as the m I run it with a hand crafted silver FMJ weight of 2.2 grams my hand crafted FMJ of copper around 1.8 on stainless tip not as much as titanium ...in my opinion there is no right or wrong I have also considered IH but leary and electronic opinions but can be pricey just to try one

Last edited:

Syncourt

@Syncourt It really sounds to me like a lot of the people you’re hearing from are looking for that fast hit that lets them start to feel it before they even finish drawing and you’re more interested in a relaxed session where you get there over several slow and easy draws and don’t worry about trying to wreck yourself in a single hit.

I think sessions may just be your thing. I’ve never smoked, but a good comparison may be the way people use bongs vs joints. One big hit at a time that might knock you over vs as many smaller draws as you want until you’re where you want to be.

That really just comes down to personal preference! :)

There are definitely times I enjoy the speed at which I get medicated with the DynaVap but in contemplation, I am disappointed that the high isn't as potent as a full session despite having a similar bowl size; therein lies my dilemma as all the love for the DynaVap lead me to believe the high to be superior.

Maybe I'll end up getting the Dani or even the pricey Anvil down the line to replace the DynaVap as they seem to hit harder.

Totally possible you just have a preference for session vapes, but typically it is my understanding that with marijuana you hit the highest point you're going to get very shortly after ingestion (unless we're talking edibles) and it tapers off quickly--so something that can let you clear a large first hit would in theory get you higher than the same amount done via a session.

I think the biggest thing in your case is it really doesn't sound like an apples to apples comparison in terms of quantity. When I load those dosing caps (are you talking the S&B ones or a different style? I'm not familiar with the XMax caps for example, except that they exist so I don't know how much they hold) its closer to .15 - .2g. Even if we asssume the low end, .15g is 50% more capacity than the dynavap tip holds which is not a trivial amount. If you really want to accurately compare which gets you more loaded you can't pretend that one "just" having 50% more doesn't matter, you'd need to use both with the same amount and decide from there.

Again, though, maybe you just aren't a dyna person. I appreciate mine for what they are, and sometimes its a very fun change of pace to pull one out. I have a little MJA mini recycler that is a lot of fun to use with one, and it is my favorite portable when I'm doing something rugged where I'm worried about drops, slips, and falls or battery life constraints. But with all of that said, while I could be perfectly happy daily-driving a dyna, I am glad that it isn't my daily driver =).

I most adamantly do not find that to be true for session vaporizers as the high accumulates until the bowl is finished and the bowl is not finished in the first puff.

I guess what I'm saying is that I am a little disappointed the DynaVap isn't reaching the same claims that I have read; claims of its 0.1g bowl surpassing a 0.3g Mighty bowl. Instead, I'm finding that the overall high of that 0.1g bowl is worse than the 0.15g dosing capsules/stems.

I do see the appeal of the DynaVap though, the ability to finish a bowl in 2/3 hits leaving you free to do other things if you can't sit for a session.

@Vaporware @hinglemccringleberry @gordontreeman

My responses I wrote earlier but I decided to do this experiment first in fear of double posting. I went and emptied a few pre-filled capsules and stems and I averaged them out. I then went and filled/refilled the DynaVap M a few times (as I only have the one lol) and these were my averaged results:

POTV capsule: 0.07g
DynaVap M: 0.08g
Arizer stem: 0.09g
S&B capsule: 0.09g

Most surprisingly (to me) is is that the POTV capsule held the least as I assumed it held the same amount as the others and my assumption being DynaVap would be the lowest after what everyone has said. The devices that uses the POTV capsules are also coincidentally the ones that I have used the least and I attributed the lesser high due to its pure convection methods that I have not yet been accustomed to. Another interesting point was the standard deviation was the highest for the Arizer stem ranging from 0.06g to 0.12g.

Anyways, the difference of 0.01g definitely does not explain the lower high of the DynaVap and the core of the issue being that despite a similar sized bowl, it's overall effectiveness is lower.

I am looking at the Dani more seriously now as the next step up over the DynaVap.

Syncourt,
Reactions: LeftBased

2pumpchump

There are definitely times I enjoy the speed at which I get medicated with the DynaVap but in contemplation, I am disappointed that the high isn't as potent as a full session despite having a similar bowl size; therein lies my dilemma as all the love for the DynaVap lead me to believe the high to be superior.

Maybe I'll end up getting the Dani or even the pricey Anvil down the line to replace the DynaVap as they seem to hit harder.

I most adamantly do not find that to be true for session vaporizers as the high accumulates until the bowl is finished and the bowl is not finished in the first puff.

I guess what I'm saying is that I am a little disappointed the DynaVap isn't reaching the same claims that I have read; claims of its 0.1g bowl surpassing a 0.3g Mighty bowl. Instead, I'm finding that the overall high of that 0.1g bowl is worse than the 0.15g dosing capsules/stems.

I do see the appeal of the DynaVap though, the ability to finish a bowl in 2/3 hits leaving you free to do other things if you can't sit for a session.

@Vaporware @hinglemccringleberry @gordontreeman

My responses I wrote earlier but I decided to do this experiment first in fear of double posting. I went and emptied a few pre-filled capsules and stems and I averaged them out. I then went and filled/refilled the DynaVap M a few times (as I only have the one lol) and these were my averaged results:

POTV capsule: 0.07g
DynaVap M: 0.08g
Arizer stem: 0.09g
S&B capsule: 0.09g

Most surprisingly (to me) is is that the POTV capsule held the least as I assumed it held the same amount as the others and my assumption being DynaVap would be the lowest after what everyone has said. The devices that uses the POTV capsules are also coincidentally the ones that I have used the least and I attributed the lesser high due to its pure convection methods that I have not yet been accustomed to. Another interesting point was the standard deviation was the highest for the Arizer stem ranging from 0.06g to 0.12g.

Anyways, the difference of 0.01g definitely does not explain the lower high of the DynaVap and the core of the issue being that despite a similar sized bowl, it's overall effectiveness is lower.

I am looking at the Dani more seriously now as the next step up over the DynaVap.
A Dani will be my next system for sure and shortly the vapcap systems will still be my pocket carry. We'll don't hold me to that .. and kinda sounding that we shear similar tastes in the way of not wanting to slam the whole bowl in 1 hit and I'm open to electronic vaporizers like something the size of my 2× 18650 subtank mod I use for nicotine now but I would try heating more to the front with longer cool downs at the beginning then with a nice tord the back heat as you end your session and remove your avb so you can be ready for your next session

2pumpchump,
Reactions: Syncourt

Old Moderate

I'm a fan of dynavap to be fair I only have had 3 vape experience .... in all fairness 1once 20 years ago with a home made method that was a fail ! The 2nd was 10 years or better ago with a cheap e vape adapter not impressed . The 3rd was a friends dynavap. Finally something that worked after looking at prices i still not convinced to buy 1 so he bought me a 2021 m after figure out heating and draw methods that suit me I had to replace the cap I purchased a Omni tip kit as a repair/ upgrade it witch is now my favorite combo I also purchased a techrinic stem and stainless tip kit it was about the same price as the m I run it with a hand crafted silver FMJ weight of 2.2 grams my hand crafted FMJ of copper around 1.8 on stainless tip not as much as titanium ...in my opinion there is no right or wrong I have also considered IH but leary and electronic opinions but can be pricey just to try one
Whoa dude what a setup. Handmade FMJ!

Old Moderate,

Vaporware

@Syncourt I think a large part of the difference you’re noticing may be in the number of draws you’re taking and how much your lungs can absorb from each draw.

I don’t have data to back this up, but this is how I see it.

If you take a huge hit it will more fully saturate your lungs and you will feel a more immediate effect, but you will also exhale a lot of active compounds that your lungs didn’t have room to absorb before you exhaled.

Think about the guys doing 1g dabs on YouTube; how much of that gram do you think they’re actually absorbing?

I think you can reduce this loss by starting to exhale and then breathing back in repeatedly until you aren’t exhaling a big cloud of vapor, but that can be difficult to do with a large volume of vapor.

If you take a bunch of smaller draws you won’t feel it as quickly but your lungs can absorb more from each draw which means you probably absorb more active compounds overall.

You also have to take into account the efficiency of different devices (and very few have been tested in a lab for extraction ability), but we do know that some are much better than others in extraction percentages.

Still, the best extracting vaporizer on the planet can’t give your lungs more surface area!

I do still often blow out a cloud of vapor, but I only care about seeing it if I suspect the flower’s spent or I’m trying to get what I need done quickly. Otherwise some of the nicest draws I take are barely visible when I exhale. :)

2pumpchump

Wait dose smerl own FMJ? Just wondering if I need to call this Pease of scrap metal I put around mine something else as may have a different MAS that do make a difference! But even though it's more of a pain it's but nicer when I not trying to slam a good one back on the run

2pumpchump,

Syncourt

A Dani will be my next system for sure and shortly the vapcap systems will still be my pocket carry. We'll don't hold me to that .. and kinda sounding that we shear similar tastes in the way of not wanting to slam the whole bowl in 1 hit and I'm open to electronic vaporizers like something the size of my 2× 18650 subtank mod I use for nicotine now but I would try heating more to the front with longer cool downs at the beginning then with a nice tord the back heat as you end your session and remove your avb so you can be ready for your next session

I actually don't mind quickly clearing the bowl in 2/3 hits! I was just a little upset that I wasn't getting the magical experience that I kept reading about with the DynaVap...even after upgrading to the FMJ.

@Syncourt I think a large part of the difference you’re noticing may be in the number of draws you’re taking and how much your lungs can absorb from each draw.

I don’t have data to back this up, but this is how I see it.

If you take a huge hit it will more fully saturate your lungs and you will feel a more immediate effect, but you will also exhale a lot of active compounds that your lungs didn’t have room to absorb before you exhaled.

Think about the guys doing 1g dabs on YouTube; how much of that gram do you think they’re actually absorbing?

I think you can reduce this loss by starting to exhale and then breathing back in repeatedly until you aren’t exhaling a big cloud of vapor, but that can be difficult to do with a large volume of vapor.

If you take a bunch of smaller draws you won’t feel it as quickly but your lungs can absorb more from each draw which means you probably absorb more active compounds overall.

You also have to take into account the efficiency of different devices (and very few have been tested in a lab for extraction ability), but we do know that some are much better than others in extraction percentages.

Still, the best extracting vaporizer on the planet can’t give your lungs more surface area!

I do still often blow out a cloud of vapor, but I only care about seeing it if I suspect the flower’s spent or I’m trying to get what I need done quickly. Otherwise some of the nicest draws I take are barely visible when I exhale. :)

This...hmm. Maybe you have a point! I don't have any other quick hitters on hand to test this theory except the Sticky Brick Runt but I've always been too lazy to get the technique down (hence buying the DynaVap lol).

2pumpchump

I agree if you have already been using other vaporizers the magic might not be there as it was for me being the first 1 that actually worked . And love therp slam it gives the first hit or 2

2pumpchump,
Top Bottom