Drying out your bud........

lwien

So I keep all my bud in an airtight mason jar, and just take out one bud at a time to dry it out before grinding for the PD. For some odd reason, this just makes sense to me.

However, I have heard of others that just dry out ALL their bud at once by not putting it into an airtight jar but rather in something else, like a humidor without the moisture pad or anything that will just let it all dry out at once. I just can't bring myself to do this though.

Thoughts?

lwien,

georgesbataille

I'm in the process of trying to decide on which route to take as well. Initially, I figured that I would keep a set amount of dry stuff around, and as it dwindles down, pull out a set amount the "fresh" stuff and let it dry. By drying a whole bunch at once, the dregs would be dried to a crisp before I got around to vapin' them.

Or, does it not matter if the herb is crisp-dry?

georgesbataille,

JohnDoeHoe22

it depends how much you got, if you don't let it dry enough before hand your buds can start to develop mold and then they're only as good as garbage. I normally don't dry it all before hand unless if I have a lot or if its real moist. I don't usually need to let it dry after taking it out but maybe I will choose to when I get my vape.

JohnDoeHoe22,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
my god :disgust:

YES!!! brittle dry ground up weed is the BEST for vaporizing! for the love of hell give reading a chance...thats the only phrase I have seen typed more than the word "PD" (the phrase "use dry herb!")
:lol: dry herb has a better/faster chance to give you the most vapor in one hit...less time spent creating water vapors...more time spent inhaling thc among other things :brow:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

dudewhodidstuff

Hennessy1414 said:
my god :disgust:

YES!!! brittle dry ground up weed is the BEST for vaporizing! for the love of hell give reading a chance...thats the only phrase I have seen typed more than the word "PD" (the phrase "use dry herb!")
:lol: dry herb has a better/faster chance to give you the most vapor in one hit...less time spent creating water vapors...more time spent inhaling thc among other things :brow:

:peace:
Well I did a few searches and didn't find much info...

That makes sense though.

Any point in having any moisture left in it at all(I assume not)? Or do you let you herb completely dry out? I don't have a vape yet so I always keep my stuff in mason jars, but maybe I'll buy one of those nice wood boxes with a screen (which never made sense to me if you are smoking).

dudewhodidstuff,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
well heres how I do it.

I keep my nuggets in a glass air tight mason jar. They are never really moist just really dank...I use that term literally. when I prepare a nugget for grinding/vaporizing I take a few steps before hand. I'll take the nugget out of the jar and let it sit out overnight(depending on moisture content) Once it has become a bit brittle to the touch I commence grinding action. This way you will actually get keif when it hits the screen in the compartment below (I have a 4PC. screen/keif grinder) The upside to this is a quickly vappable nugget. You will lose some of the aromas/flavors but, end up getting larger vapor clouds per toke you take. If you want to have an explosion of flavors in your mouth when hitting the vape just grind up the nugget right from the mason jar. skip the drying step and keep the grinder or ground goods in an air tight mason jar. that way you will always have fresh aromatic buds that will give a nice kick of flavor.

:2c:

:peace: & :ko:

Hennessy1414,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Hennessy1414 said:
well heres how I do it.

I keep my nuggets in a glass air tight mason jar. They are never really moist just really dank...I use that term literally. when I prepare a nugget for grinding/vaporizing I take a few steps before hand. I'll take the nugget out of the jar and let it sit out overnight(depending on moisture content) Once it has become a bit brittle to the touch I commence grinding action. This way you will actually get keif when it hits the screen in the compartment below (I have a 4PC. screen/keif grinder) The upside to this is a quickly vappable nugget. You will lose some of the aromas/flavors but, end up getting larger vapor clouds per toke you take. If you want to have an explosion of flavors in your mouth when hitting the vape just grind up the nugget right from the mason jar. skip the drying step and keep the grinder or ground goods in an air tight mason jar. that way you will always have fresh aromatic buds that will give a nice kick of flavor.

:2c:

:peace: & :ko:
Can herb be too dry for vaping? My method, and I'm not sure it's the best method, is to grind up a few buds that are stored in an air tight jar, then put the material into a little wood bowl and then I'll rest the bowl on top of a wall light fixture in my apartment and allow the warmth of the light bulb dry out the herb for about an hour. The bowl is warm to the touch when I take it down. This seems to work OK and I leave the wood bowl out in the open uncovered or unsealed, but for some reason the last two times I tried vaping I actually got very little vapor from loads and the material is so dry it's almost powdery.

So basically I'm wondering if there's a mis step on my part. Also, can a better grinder make a marked difference in the vaporizing experience?

Thanks..

jeffp,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Too dry for vapin? You can get too dry for comfort ( as you say, it turns to a dust/powder) , but it should still vape fine.

You can expose marijuana to too much heat/light while drying it out, degrading the actives.

SpiralArchitect,

hopandstop

For the Space Case Scout grinders, can you leave the material in the storage compartment of that to dry out, or is it airtight?

hopandstop,

Evil1

Bear in mind weed should be dried in a dark, dry, cool place (like a cupboard). As Spiral has said any exposure to heat degrades the good stuff. Drying should take about a week. Then, before its completely dry, it should be cured for another four weeks or so.
I do this with my homegrown and found that curing is essential for a smooth, tasty smoke.
Note - I am new to vaping but I suspect flavour will still come through.
What I need to know is - has anyone tried to vape a freshly picked bud straight from the tree ?

Evil1,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
What I need to know is - has anyone tried to vape a freshly picked bud straight from the tree ?
yes. the first five minutes drives out the moisture -- which collects on the walls of the 13mm x 4" test tube i use for a whip (i swab out the condensed water vapor several times with a paper towel), after which the vapor starts flowing. It tastes "green" -- not unpleasant, but not as nice as properly cured bud.

Hippie Dickie,

graywulf

My current method (in my dorm room, mind you) is to cut my fresh herb with scissors in a mini shotglass. I spread it over a glass dish that I put on a lab-grade hotplate - today I tried 70 deg. C for ~15 minutes. I chopped the herb with scissors again in the glass, much dryer this time and crumbly. I'm feeling :ko: atm.

*spelling mistakes, LOL

graywulf,

The_Algebraist

New York City humidity is starting to build up, so simply leaving my herb out to dry hasn't been yielding fantastic results in terms of drying my bud out as much as I'd like for vaping, even leaving it out over night and especially because the herb I've been getting is really sticky and smooshy. I've taken some tips from the FC folks and have found that picking a sweet bud, dropping it into a shotglass and then setting it on top of a preheated PD for an hour or two leaves me with a nice, crispy bud, perfect for grinding and vaping.

The_Algebraist,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
NYC here too - currently I dry mine by putting it on a metal plate and putting the plate on the cable box. Before that my "method" was to put the herb on top of the bathroom light fixture with the light on for about an hour; the herb in a wood bowl. Either or, the metal plate works better.

jeffp,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
i remember reading from Tom that if you put a piece of toilet paper over the PD hole, it won't burn or even discolor the TP. But it will heat a shotglass enough to dry your herb? I WANT to believe but... I am surprised Tom didn't mention this. Anyone else agree? Or just an "imagination" that it has helped in dry? thanks.

IAmKrazy2,

Melizzard

I just got hold of some really sticky buds and, though I've read this thread, am not sure of the best way to dry some out to grind/vape. Shotglass/PD ... what's a PD? Plus, it sounded like heating it up might not be so good for it.

So, is there a way to just pull out a bit, sit it out, and let it dry? Of course, mine is so fragrant and I wouldn't want the neighbors smelling it when they walk past! LOL

Melizzard,

Casper

Your mason-jar idea's a good one and yes, just take it out a day before and let the surface moisture wick off and draw more from deep in the stem. The jars are only to equalise moisture throughout the bud. Overnight will drag it down into drytown, which is where you need to post up for the night.

Casper,

purplechango

As we speak, i have about 1.2 g that was dry to the touch, but moist when broken open. I took my grinder and put it to work and now have spread out the the ground herbs in a thin layer the sheet of paper.

It's been sitting for about 10 mins, and as of now its dry to the touch. Ill toss all that into my space case stash tube for quick setup w my PD or LB. Even better I I have a pill safe thats shape like a AA battery. When i unscrew the cap it holds just enough to fill the LT trench.....sorry bout the tangent

Including drying time, the whole operation took about 20 mins. Anyone have any objections to the method?

purplechango,

lwien

I've been drying my bud out also for use in the PD for quite awhile now, but about a month ago, I bought some new bud that was very fresh..........totally cured, but very sticky and smelled effin great so when I got home I didn't want to go thru the hassle of drying it out so I broke off a small piece, put it into a shot glass and started cutting with my stainless scissors. Really hard to cut cause it was sticking to the blades, lol.

Anyways, cut it up the best I could and stuffed it into the PD stem and started to vape. WoW. The taste was unbelievable, large vapor clouds and got totally blazed off of one hit. I usually get 4 good hits from dry bud, but got 5 to 6 without drying.

So the bottom line to all this is, no more drying the bud for me.

One other thing to consider is that when you put fresh bud in your vape, after the first hit or two, it's about as dry as it's gonna get anyways.

lwien,

kalinga

lwien said:
I usually get 4 good hits from dry bud, but got 5 to 6 without drying.
So the bottom line to all this is, no more drying the bud for me.
I also had similar results. Got more good hits without drying.

kalinga,
Top Bottom