Driving whilst high

uhranium

what I think is that cities that allow recreational pot use should use part of the money to really step up their public transport game. sure numbers of stoned driver are going up when it's legal,but why don't we give out free bus tickets for rides you actually may enjoy instead of disgust to conquer that?

Nooky72

Dog Marley
I used to drive high in my twenties but that was when I had a more carefree approach to life and I used to consume weed via the old combustion method so I used to feel so wasted, red eyes etc.

I rarely do it now because I view the new oral drug testing kits as a genuine deterrent and could not afford the potential job loss impact aside from having my name in print to fill some inches in the local press 'court round up' section.

I do admit though that if we do happen to go for a walk along the beautiful coastline nearby, I may take my arizer solo, have a blast, take in the nature, walk a few more km and then drive the short, non-busy route home in an extra careful manner. Guess it is about your consideration for others and your personal risk profile.

I personally feel that driving after vaping is way different and safer to driving after some flame fuelled bongs & a few spiffs.

Ricardo

The problem as I see it is that even if you are not impaired, even if you haven't vaped but have THC in your system, and you are in an accident which isn't even your fault - it's DUI. And if somebody gets killed by walking right out in front of you - you're going to prison.
I never drive high but always have THC in my system - t's a worry.
Totally agree that people on prescription meds, people with hangovers, tired people, distracted and/or angry people, just plain bad drivers....are a bigger danger on the roads. The problems begin when an accident happens.

Last edited:

capcoho

The problem as I see it is that even if you are not impaired, even if you haven't vaped but have THC in your system, and you are in an accident which isn't even your fault - it's DUI. And is somebody gets killed by walking right out in front of you - you're going to prison.
I never drive high but always have THC in my system - t's a worry.
Totally agree that people on prescription meds, people with hangovers, tired people, distracted and/or angry people, just plain bad drivers....are a bigger danger on the roads. The problems begin when an accident happens.

For sure. They definitely have to get a better way to check.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ubc-pot-breathalyzer-1.3544175

I think this thing is on the right track. The blood and urine tests are useless as far as driving is concerned.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Some pretty harsh vapor in the above video. Not sure if that was the product or the vaporizer. Maybe the heat was too high? Maybe his lungs were trashed? That made me want to cough. No endorsement for me for the Mighty.

Green Kiwi

I used to drive high in my twenties but that was when I had a more carefree approach to life and I used to consume weed via the old combustion method so I used to feel so wasted, red eyes etc.

I rarely do it now because I view the new oral drug testing kits as a genuine deterrent and could not afford the potential job loss impact aside from having my name in print to fill some inches in the local press 'court round up' section.

I do admit though that if we do happen to go for a walk along the beautiful coastline nearby, I may take my arizer solo, have a blast, take in the nature, walk a few more km and then drive the short, non-busy route home in an extra careful manner. Guess it is about your consideration for others and your personal risk profile.

I personally feel that driving after vaping is way different and safer to driving after some flame fuelled bongs & a few spiffs.
THAT'S also my experience!
i have no, idea why, because you will reach same thc levels in your blood (or actually for the same amount consumed higher)but i'm very well capable of riding a race on the motorbike after vaping, where when i combusted i could just not get around the track quick enough.
i do admit that i won't be able to ride properly after 3 bowls in a row on the mighty,which would be the same amount i would put in a joint,in the past when i combusted.:mental:

Modnote: Reply removed from quote tags

Last edited by a moderator:

WakeAndVape

VapeLife X
Some pretty harsh vapor in the above video. Not sure if that was the product or the vaporizer. Maybe the heat was too high? Maybe his lungs were trashed? That made me want to cough. No endorsement for me for the Mighty.

Yea I crank the mighty all the way upeople, plus I like to cough in the morning ..helps clear our all that crappy stuff the cigarette I'm trying to quit smoking puts on my lungs. But I use all my vapes high temp.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
An interesting part of an article.
At present there’s a debate in the US as to the correct limit of THC for safe driving - if there is such a thing. Weed advocates believe it’s important to arrive at good guidelines, because there are also states considering decriminalization, and there’s a danger that if a bill allowing the driver to be moderately high while driving does go through, it will be with the still-incorrect THC limit of 5 nanograms per milliliter. Illinois is one of 11 states currently considering decriminalization while behind the wheel.

There continues to be a nationwide push in the US to make pot available to the public in one form or another, and lawmakers are scrambling to write new bills to deal with the issue. So far, only four states have legalized weed for recreational use - Oregon, Washington, Colorado and Alaska. And there are 24 that allow it for medical use, many of which such as Illinois and DC are considering the switch to recreational use as well.

"It's an attempt to try to do an apples-to-apples comparison with blood alcohol concentration," Marijuana Policy Project senior legislative analyst Chris Lindsey told the Chicago Tribune, adding that this only backs up earlier research that THC levels are not an adequate marker.

Read more
Germany to legalize medical marijuana
Also problematic is that THC levels have a tendency to drop quickly, and it takes a couple of hours to administer a blood test. But the bigger issue here is that regular users exhibit higher continuous levels than less regular ones - meaning some people will always be guiltier.

Most of us would fall in the guiltier category.
CK

sickmanfraud

Where I live (outside USA) my license states that I am not to drive for 6 hours after any cannabis use.

This makes no sense to me, If someone vape at 12 noon my driving should be ok a lot earlier than 6 pm.

OTOH, If I ingest an edible or strong capsule at 12:00 noon there is a good chance I would be impaired at 6:00pm

looney2nz

Research Geek, Mad Scientist
An interesting part of an article.
At present there’s a debate in the US as to the correct limit of THC for safe driving - if there is such a thing. Weed advocates believe it’s important to arrive at good guidelines, because there are also states considering decriminalization, and there’s a danger that if a bill allowing the driver to be moderately high while driving does go through, it will be with the still-incorrect THC limit of 5 nanograms per milliliter. Illinois is one of 11 states currently considering decriminalization while behind the wheel.

There continues to be a nationwide push in the US to make pot available to the public in one form or another, and lawmakers are scrambling to write new bills to deal with the issue. So far, only four states have legalized weed for recreational use - Oregon, Washington, Colorado and Alaska. And there are 24 that allow it for medical use, many of which such as Illinois and DC are considering the switch to recreational use as well.

"It's an attempt to try to do an apples-to-apples comparison with blood alcohol concentration," Marijuana Policy Project senior legislative analyst Chris Lindsey told the Chicago Tribune, adding that this only backs up earlier research that THC levels are not an adequate marker.

Read more
Germany to legalize medical marijuana
Also problematic is that THC levels have a tendency to drop quickly, and it takes a couple of hours to administer a blood test. But the bigger issue here is that regular users exhibit higher continuous levels than less regular ones - meaning some people will always be guiltier.

Most of us would fall in the guiltier category.
CK

So I know WA has their 5ng blood limit (is that testing delta-9 or delta-11?), which didn't really account for body mass, tolerance and didn't seen to include any other cannabinoids say like CBD? A known THC down-modulator :(

Even in my youth, we'd blaze up some Thai stick, perhaps with the pinners dipped in honey oil... 1st thing I wanted to do was go take a shower (yeah, you know, just feels GOOD), know that I didn't reak of it now, visine in the eyes, brush teeth and tongue and perhaps an Altoid :) I wasn't real comfortable driving after medicating (hah, we didn't call it that then!), but could easily drive around, I was just scanning the horizon and rear-view mirror for those familiar with front and top light pattern matching to ID various police cruisers of the day.

Distractibility in the drivers seat is a pretty big problem... they don't recommending using any of the texing functions using the voice to text, text to voice engines as it engages parts of the brain that that slow it down and affect your reaction time. I don't know if the jury's in on singing in the car, but I hope that only shows minimal effects, as I've sung all kinds of stuff in the car (with and without harmonizing friends), my friend and I have conducted many pieces of music while we listen to the score :)

Folks seem to now be taking a dim view the 5nl test from WA. AAA has weighed in (can't find the link), their opinion is that the 5nl test was meaningless, and something common sense shouldn't have dictated...

But a big guy like me, who hasn't taken a cannabis holiday away in at least 4 months (and tolerance levels would reflect that!) would almost definitely show a vastly broader array of cannabinoids, terpenes, flavanoids; I'm sure my circulating levels are pretty high, but honestly that just to bring the 'noise' level down in my system. A holiday would be nice, would help reset the endocannibinoid system and I could state using around 1/4 the amount previously used and the whole process begins again!

If I do go out to drive (w/specific direction), I try to make sure how long it will be from when I medicate to where I have to deal with medical stuff (or gasp, get stopped by a cop). And arrange my day accordingly.

Even after making an AC/DC decoction (20% CBD 0.74% THC), I still find the benefit and using THAT to go out in public, seeing as they don't seem to be paying attention to CBD. I love it 'cause it's benefiting me making me feel better, making me less anxious, in turn helps with depression... and I feel completely call and unimpaired. Then I feel confident to go out and drive, but I still don't enjoy it.

Gn0sis

From my experience as a daily user, there is no increased risk from driving high.

I learned to drive while high... Right before each of my driving lessons with an instructor, I would wake up, have my first smoke of the day and head downstairs into the car as the weed was hitting me... Passed the driver's test from the first try and almost flawlessly.

Another time, I was driving with a friend after a full day of smoking concentrates + flower and eating a cannabis-infused full course meal at an edibles party a couple hours earlier. As we're going about 30 - 35mph, at less than a 100 feet in front of us, a double-parked yellow cab's door opens and a guy comes out running across the street without bothering to look in either direction. I was just talking to my friend and not paying any special attention to the road. But, despite being really high and all that, I had no issues reacting swiftly in a second or less and swerved the car just enough to miss him by a few inches. It happened so fast, high or not, I was surprised there was time to react at all.

But, If I went on a t-break for a few weeks and then dabbed or vaped some really good flower, I wouldn't even feel safe leaving my bed...

Baron23

So, I'm not passing judgement on anyone else's decision in this regard, but I do disagree with any who opine that its not problem whatsoever and just drive no matter how high they are.

First, I agree that cannabis does not impact my coordination/reactions/ability like alcohol in qty does. But so what, just cause the kettle is dirty grey when the pot is dirtier black, doesn't make the kettle clean and white (yeah, that's a real tortured metaphor! LOL).

With that said, like many, when I was a teenager (LONG time ago) we would drive around in the country getting ripped with a car full of friends. Mostly cause we lived at home and couldn't smoke there. Was it smart...NO. While I never wrecked a car on cannabis, when younger I did mix/match a lot of intoxicant drugs and did wreck...twice. Now at 62 (and for a long time prior), my attitudes have changed and I look back on my behavior as reckless and without consideration for others on the road.

Have I driven in the past with alcohol in me. Yes. Have I driven in the past with cannabis in me. Yes. Do I recommend either of these now, NO.

A major point is that driving while intoxicated is one of the big bugaboos about legalization. Right or wrong, let a car full of young people wreck and kill themselves while on cannabis (doesn't matter if it was related to the cause) and the behavior Nazis will have a field day. If we want cannabis to go mainstream, and I for one do dearly, then we have to act responsibly.

Just my view, no more.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Now that I'm staring down the barrel of 60 years young I wonder more and more about folks like my Mom and Dad, may they rest in peace.....both my parents drove beyond the point they should have. Age does begin to impair the driving skills and most don't notice it till something rude wakes them. The last thing folks like my parents needed (or myself when I reach the point of diminishing driving skills) was to be buzzed when they weren't ready to give up the keys but should have.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
It seems like once a state goes recreational, then the DUI issue pops up. In my medical state, there's not much talk about vaping and driving. From what I've read, it's unlikely that a meaningful thc test could be developed that works as well as the breathalyzer or alcohol blood tests. Maybe they will develop cannabis-oriented field tests like for alcohol--recite alphabet backwards, touch nose, etc.

MoltenTiger

I was watching an episode of Australian RBT last night, and there was this guy who got a positive reading for THC via a mouth swipe. He was taken to a drug bus around the corner, where it was found he was clear of all detectable drugs.

What is blatantly stupid about the whole ordeal, was that this bloke wasn't showing any sign of dangerous intoxication, yet if he was convicted he would have been worse off than if he was obviously drunk, and obviously dangerous.

It's 2016, where is the bloody logic?

CRvapes

when i was in high school, i was involved in an accident. it was my fault as i was still learning to drive but having had synthetic weed just prior to the accident. it messed me up from there when it came to driving.

after that day, i could no longer drive. if i got high and drove, then i entered a different world where i didnt know if i was driving properly or not and it was definately dangerous. i was way too paranoid.... it took yearssss, and i mean yearsss for it to go away on its own..

now i can drive while stoned, however i am sure this isnt just me. but when i drive stoned. i tend to forget where im supposed to be turning lol

so even though i feel good to drive. i always forget destination thinking of other things and normally end up taking twice as long

CRvapes,

MoltenTiger

when i was in high school, i was involved in an accident. it was my fault as i was still learning to drive but having had synthetic weed just prior to the accident. it messed me up from there when it came to driving.

after that day, i could no longer drive. if i got high and drove, then i entered a different world where i didnt know if i was driving properly or not and it was definately dangerous. i was way too paranoid.... it took yearssss, and i mean yearsss for it to go away on its own..

now i can drive while stoned, however i am sure this isnt just me. but when i drive stoned. i tend to forget where im supposed to be turning lol

so even though i feel good to drive. i always forget destination thinking of other things and normally end up taking twice as long
Interesting experience. Synthetic cannabinoids are a strange bag of tricks for sure.

I think this highlights some interesting phenomena relating to your receptor interaction and necessity for concentration and standard thought patterns. Not trying to have a dig here or whatever, but personally, if my experiences were similar I wouldn't be driving stoned.
My personal experience is that I drive safer, and feel more comfortable, allowing my decision making to become enhanced. My reaction time as a frequent consumer is very comparable between sober and not.
As a licensed, responsible adult, I feel capable of driving high in basically any situation and often choose to do so.

I've also driven on LSD, psilocybin, a strange concoction of benzos, meth, MDMA etc., alcohol, caffeine and after a 36 hour work weekend where I fell asleep at the wheel.
In all these situations, the danger is too real and I would avoid driving in these conditions should I find myself in them again.
I think anyone who is issued a license should be deemed capable of making these decisions, and if they run the risk they should be judged accordingly.

If I get in a crash that is not caused by me, and I get blood tested, I will be deemed at fault (even if I'm not noticeably intoxicated and haven't even consumed within 36 hours, there's still a very real risk).
That's the only major risk I take when I drive after using cannabis, and that's where I think the law should better reflect the science.
Not everyone shares the same experience, and they should act upon what is true to them.
The science says there's no good way to test for cannabis, so if the driver isn't noticeably inebriated, the science says there's no issue. Tests looking for metabolites only offer the ability to fabricate issues and incorrectly place blame.

Last edited:
Top Bottom