Dreamwood Glow

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
So hi there, im one of the lucky ones that could test some Prototype glows from @Dreamwood now that the final Product is aviable i would love to share some insides with you:

First off the Glow is a full convection 510 atty Vaporizer that works with a coil in the Base and than has a Wooden Body, all is custom made beside the Coils. The Vaporizer works with every 510 battery that has at least 50W but i would suggest an 70W to be sure not to use the battery at their limit. The Base is custom made for @Dreamwood and in the first Batch the Woodwork is handmade by dreamwood and there are still some aviable at greendream.shop

So the principe is simple but it was a long way to go until the Product was perfect. The Base is fully customizable, it comes with a dual kanthal Coil but its up to you at the end what you like to use. But we found out that a dual coil at around 0.7 ohm is the best way to go.

I use the Glow at 46W and can vape thru the bowl in 2-3 hits, absolutly 0 combustion and pure taste.

There are two versions aviable,

the first one is the 14mm one, it has a bowl in the atty and takes about 0.15g of herb

the second one is the 18mm version, great for bong users with bowl in the mouthpiece and takes about 0.2-0.25g

If you have any questions feel free to ask, i try to answer all. You can also find me on Instagram as Weedfande where i have a lot of pictures of the glow thru its evolution...

Hope i could bring some light into this Thread
bild-2a8c8a-1546954395.jpg.html

Does the glow take a standard size of stem? Looks like something custom.

oddjobold,

wisausnk

Does the glow take a standard size of stem? Looks like something custom.

What do you prefer to as standard size stems ?

There are 14 and 18mm the set comes with wood and glass stem in the box and a bong adapter

wisausnk,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
What do you prefer to as standard size stems ?

There are 14 and 18mm the set comes with wood and glass stem in the box and a bong adapter

I mean to say are they iso standard fittings or USA. Would milaana stem be compatable with the 18mm? Is the 18mm 19/19 or 19/22 or 19/26 (iso).

oddjobold,

Dreamwood

engineer, designer, producer
Manufacturer
Hey guys!

The Glow 14 RCV does not fit a ground glass stem the way you are used to. The tube of a NS 14/23 gg stem is used as bowl (like some log vapes) the ground glass is only the waterpipe connector.
tube is held in place with a oring.
The regular mp is the wood mouthpiece, then the bowl is in the cover part NOT the stem/mp.

The GLOW 18 RCV does fit a NS 19/26 ground glass stem the way you are used to. The ground glass part is put in the wood to connect the mouthpiece, NO oring on this.
Does also come with wood bowl/mouthpiece and a NS 18.8/14.5 adapter, if you use a 18.8mm waterfilter you need a adapter 14.5/18.5.

I recommend the GLOW 14 RCV to everyone who is looking for a perfect portable vaporizer.

The GLOW 18 RCV i recommend to the "home" vaper, who uses a waterfilter mostly.

We use Kanthal coils for the GLOW RCV because Kanthal is designed as heating wire.
Its durable and safer to heat without cooling fluid (liquid).
Stainless steel is not a heating wire.

Also there is a other than the standart software needed to run temp mode, not possible for everyone.

Wattage mode is easy to use. Trust me.

greetz
Dreamwood

GLOW 14 RCV (bahia rosewood)
OpszAIi.jpg

EayV7UP.jpg

mPKDQNX.jpg

ikbLk6G.jpg

GLOW 18 vs GLOW 14 RCV
61xC4gv.jpg

oWPz4Lu.jpg

IanjNKz.jpg

Last edited:

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Hey guys!

The Glow 14 RCV does not fit a ground glass stem the way you are used to. The tube of a NS 14/23 gg stem is used as bowl (like some log vapes) the ground glass is only the waterpipe connector.
tube is held in place with a oring.
The regular mp is the wood mouthpiece, then the bowl is in the cover part NOT the stem/mp.

The GLOW 18 RCV does fit a NS 19/26 ground glass stem the way you are used to. The ground glass part is put in the wood to connect the mouthpiece, NO oring on this.
Does also come with wood bowl/mouthpiece and a NS 18.8/14.5 adapter, if you use a 18.8mm waterfilter you need a adapter 14.5/18.5.

I was talking about the taper length, from the photos i would guess at iso fittings. If its iso, Milaana stems should work on the 18mm. Could you confirm taper length so we know if other stems will work.

We use Kanthal coils for the GLOW RCV because Kanthal is designed as heating wire.
Its durable and safer to heat without cooling fluid (liquid).
Stainless steel is not a heating wire.

Also there is a other than the standart software needed to run temp mode, not possible for everyone.

Wattage mode is easy to use. Trust me.

There is many things i disagree with here.

Stainless steel coils have bren used in many many vapes. Stainless steel wire works very well for vaping. Stempod and the IMP are good examples. RBT splinter uses steel mesh.

Are you concerned about safety? Why is kanthal safer than satinless steel? Some are concerned about glowing coils giving off microparticles. I have never used kanthal wire but i assume it glows hence the vapes name.

As many people here are very concerned about glowing coils, some would say the choice of name for the vape is unfortunate.

Lastly TC. This is my mode of choice for using these types of vapes. Performance in TC is more consistant in my opinion. You get a more even roast (IMO). TC is available on nearly all mods these days. A big loss not to have it.

Not sure of the advantages of glow vs competitors that work with TC

Last edited:

Dreamwood

Manufacturer
hey there,
just because its used it does not mean its the best possible option. I always like to learn new things, so teach me please. We can change to SS coils easy and every user of the GLOW can do so.
Take off cover, take the allen key and put in there whatever you like (and what fits).
Also would be possible in the future to offer you the choice and sell it with coils of your choice.

Coils do not need to glow, depends on your setting of airflow, draw speed, material used and coils you choose.

edit
the name glow came by because it works like a lightbulb, with a wire resistor/heater.

edit 2

this stainless steel "alien" coil 0,32 ohm is something i use too. But also just in wattage mode.
K8GDTwjh.jpg

Last edited:

Vision103

Vision103
I was talking about the taper length, from the photos i would guess at iso fittings. If its iso, Milaana stems should work on the 18mm. Could you confirm taper length so we know if other stems will work.

There is many things i disagree with here.

Stainless steel coils have bren used in many many vapes. Stainless steel wire works very well for vaping. Stempod and the IMP are good examples. RBT splinter uses steel mesh.

Are you concerned about safety? Why is kanthal safer than satinless steel? Some are concerned about glowing coils giving off microparticles. I have never used kanthal wire but i assume it glows hence the vapes name.

As many people here are very concerned about glowing coils, some would say the choice of name for the vape is unfortunate.

Lastly TC. This is my mode of choice for using these types of vapes. Performance in TC is more consistant in my opinion. You get a more even roast (IMO). TC is available on nearly all mods these days. A big loss not to have it.

I'm actually waiting for mine and wondering the same thing Most are worried to have the coils glow but I'm sure there is a remedy for this. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the input.

wisausnk

The question is how you maintain the TC and how well it works, the TC Software of the Boxes are mostly made for Atomizer with liquid not really for heating herb, but you can correct me there.

Also in my eyes it's absolutely unnecessary, my first question after reciving the first prototype was the same why not TC, and as we found out you need a special Box with special software to get it to run decent. I don't think most of the ppl are searching for the boxes flash custom firmware etc. It's mostly geeks like us that do this stuff not a usual consumer.

Let us for example take my favorite the GlowRCV 14, you pack 0.1g for microdosing or 0.15 in the bowl and set the W to 48 and you can compare it to TC at 220, you extract the bowl in about 2-3 hits. Set the wattage to 42-43 or maybe lower and you will be about the equivalent of 185 so you can anjoy your load longer.

The glass part there Im no expert I think @Dreamwood will answer later to this.

And as stated before, the choice of coils is completely yours. We tried a lot of materials combinations and found this one the best. But if it's a problem for you and you like the device, you have the freedom to customize it to your needs.

If you prefer a mesh heater try it we did and it was a pain in the ass to heat with it constantly and even. It also drains the battery fast but that's up to the buyer what coil/heater he uses as long as it fits.

Here are some pictures but keep in mind this are the final prototypes.

Extracted bowl Glow 14

Glass stem

Last edited:

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
hey there,
just because its used it does not mean its the best possible option. I always like to learn new things, so teach me please. We can change to SS coils easy and every user of the GLOW can do so.
Take off cover, take the allen key and put in there whatever you like (and what fits).
Also would be possible in the future to offer you the choice and sell it with coils of your choice.

Coils do not need to glow, depends on your setting of airflow, draw speed, material used and coils you choose.

If kanthal does not work in TC, and you dont have a good reason for using it - i would not use it!

The question is how you maintain the TC and how well it works, the TC Software of the Boxes are mostly made for Atomizer with liquid not really for heating herb, but you can correct me there.

Also in my eyes it's absolutely unnecessary, my first question after reciving the first prototype was the same why not TC, and as we found out you need a special Box with special software to get it to run decent. I don't think most of the ppl are searching for the boxes flash custom firmware etc. It's mostly geeks like us that do this stuff not a usual consumer.

Let us for example take my favorite the GlowRCV 14, you pack 0.1g for microdosing or 0.15 in the bowl and set the W to 48 and you can compare it to TC at 220, you extract the bowl in about 2-3 hits. Set the wattage to 42-43 or maybe lower and you will be about the equivalent of 185 so you can anjoy your load longer.

Other 510 attys dont need custom firmware to use TC. All the smoant, dna, joytech, wismec mods will work with stempod & splinter out of the box. Temp reading may not be exact, but will be consistant.

Last edited:

wisausnk

If kanthal does not work in TC, and you dont have a good reason for using it - i would not use it!

Other 510 attys dont need custom firmware to use TC. All the smoant, dna, joytech, wismec mods will work with stempod & splinter out of the box. Temp reading may not be exact, but will be consistant.

So what's the point if it's not exact? Why use TC at all if it's not exact, isn't that the point of using TC to be exact? Sorry no offense bro but i really don't get your point, we tried and we think it doesn't work like it should that's why it's not offered out of the box. If you used to it it takes you about 10 minute at max to change the coil and put in what ever you like to use.

You have to see we on FC are Vape geeks for us it's no problem to try different coils modes etc. But the general consumer wants an working device out of the box. And you can't offer them an half baked solution.

Last edited:

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
His point re TC is, though the display may not reflect the actual temps of a coil accurately, once you've settled on a given temp, TC mode will maintain that temp for you more constantly, than you could achieve by pulsing the box mod manually in wattage mode.

To be fair about Splinter & co supporting TC out of the box... if I remember correctly there, most of these 510 devices were originally also intended to be used in wattage mode only with TC entering the game only as an afterthought, when users started experimenting with it, until it became a quasi standard and got more or less adapted by the respective manufacturers.

Glowing coils (as the default) can be avoided and so should be avoided, as 'health' is one of the main selling points of all vaporizers and having the coils glow, will also unnecessarily hasten heater degradation. Might take some pains to find the right combo there, but it's totally doable and I'd go for it now, rather than having this unnecessary problem hounding the vape for ages to come.

Great to see yet another German vape manufacturer, though :clap:
I'm also from Germany and build Log Vapes for a hobby, though mine are not officially for sale, but rather derive from my Log building DIY project here.

Last edited:

Dreamwood

Manufacturer
hi.

kanthal holds higher temperatures than stainless steel, about 800 degrees celsius more. SS degrades faster. In case of stainless steel, carbides are released when heated, then the material has to be quenched to get back to its original properties. Kanthal was developed as a heating wire, has a slightly higher resistance, keeps the heat better and all this without changing its properties.

No need for pulsing the button imho. I set mine mostly around 50w, push the button 1 sec and start to inhale. easy peasy.

I tried around a lot since last year. And most SS wires i was not happy with. Kanthal works best in wattage mode and its easy to use out of the box for everyone like @wisausnk said.

We want to build a vape atty thats easy to use, with user replaceable coils and also cleanable (heater/base) because thats one thing i dislike at other vapes.

I think we made a good job.

ps. like i said the ground glass parts are NS 14/23 and NS 18/26 thats german din norm. I do not know if custom designed parts from others fit in.
But every standart groundglass part in the right size (18.8mm groundglass) should fit in. So if you have a standart adapter 18/18 for your waterfilter it should fit in the GLOW 18

edit
pictures i posted do not work? i try it once again.

GLOW 14 RCV (Bahia Rosewood)
Opsz-AIi-d.jpg

m-PKDQNX-d.jpg

Eay-V7-UP-d.jpg

this stainless steel "alien" coil 0,32 ohm is something i use too.
K8-GDTwj-d.jpg

☮❤

Last edited:

blokenoname

DIY Log Dabbler 😁🪵💪💨💨💨
edit
pictures i posted do not work? i try it once again.

Imgur does not work properly on FC anymore. Use Tinypic or another pic hoster, please. Thank you :)

Edit:
Personally, I'm totally happy using this kind of 510 vapes in wattage mode only, BTW, as I rather abhor having to fiddle with all those TC settings, profiles you can download/create yourself and whatnot. Much too complicated for a vape.

Last edited:

wisausnk

Personally, I'm totally happy using this kind of 510 vapes in wattage mode only, BTW, as I rather abhor having to fiddle with all those TC settings, profiles you can download/create yourself and whatnot. Much too complicated for a vape.

100% agree at first after I got the first pototype my question was why no TC because I knew from my vape (ezig) that that works fine. But in herb vaporizers it's a different story and confusing.

I made some size comparison with the Tera

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Nice work @Dreamwood!

Hope to try one some day...

Interesting how high the power can go without scorching, but I guess that just means you don't hold the button down very long? Might even be fine with those common 10sec fire cutoffs then

Truly they are very beautiful, and it is pretty cool to be able to load in the heater cover then just attach a matching mouthpiece for a nice flush look :tup:

wisausnk

Nice work @Dreamwood!

Hope to try one some day...

Interesting how high the power can go without scorching, but I guess that just means you don't hold the button down very long? Might even be fine with those common 10sec fire cutoffs then

Truly they are very beautiful, and it is pretty cool to be able to load in the heater cover then just attach a matching mouthpiece for a nice flush look :tup:

Yeah the 10s timer is fine because it's mostly enough for a hit.

Doktor Dub

I am thinking about getting a Glow, there are quite some aspects i really like about it:
  • nice look and craftsmanship
  • made in Germany (like me :-))
  • user servicable
  • pretty stealth
  • great package with different Stems and WPA
  • not too expensive
I am not so sure about:
  • use of glowing coil in the airpath
  • use of o rings for the stems
and i don t know really how much my lineup would profit from the glow as i already have some great Vapes and also own a splinter, which seems to be in a similar niche...

Can any body give a comparison of the Vapor production of the glow vs. other Vapes (Splinter / Mighty would be great)

Have a great day all!

wisausnk

I am thinking about getting a Glow, there are quite some aspects i really like about it:
  • nice look and craftsmanship
  • made in Germany (like me :-))
  • user servicable
  • pretty stealth
  • great package with different Stems and WPA
  • not too expensive
I am not so sure about:
  • use of glowing coil in the airpath
  • use of o rings for the stems
and i don t know really how much my lineup would profit from the glow as i already have some great Vapes and also own a splinter, which seems to be in a similar niche...

Can any body give a comparison of the Vapor production of the glow vs. other Vapes (Splinter / Mighty would be great)

Have a great day all!

So for me the vapor production is on par with the mighty which is a statement. But I used the mighty over a year and can compare to it. And we have one big + way more stealth and instant vapor no heat up time.

The O rings have no contact with the heat or airpath, and if you don't like the O rings get the 18 version the only origns used there are to hold the body on the base.

And you can allways switch the coils for what ever coil fits in there so you can make a big Clapton's that doesn't need to glow that's all your decision.

Doktor Dub

So for me the vapor production is on par with the mighty which is a statement. But I used the mighty over a year and can compare to it. And we have one big + way more stealth and instant vapor no heat up time.

The O rings have no contact with the heat or airpath, and if you don't like the O rings get the 18 version the only origns used there are to hold the body on the base.

And you can allways switch the coils for what ever coil fits in there so you can make a big Clapton's that doesn't need to glow that's all your decision.

Thank you sir, i like your answer, my wallet doesn t :rofl:

Terweedator

Hi everyone! Here to post my first impressions about the GlowRCV14mm after spending a few days with this little devil! I went for this purchase for many different reasons but the first and most important is my recently acquired WVAS (W for wood lol) ! Dreamwood really carves gorgeous wood and the GlowRCV is an eye catcher for sure! I was curious about RTA for dry herbs in wood. I was also looking for a microdoser and something for "on the go" and the fact that I'm livingin Europe played a role too. Another reason was the price, considering that it arrives with nice and useful extras and the quality of the parts.
Talking about the vapor: From the small amount I'm getting nice clouds, after the first two initial hits, without stirring if not during the last draws, the abv looks even. Using the given wattage range (30-35 watt) i'm not able to get full extraction yet, anyway I get pretty close without much oxidation of the herb. This vape has definetely a learning curve so I'm expecting better results with more use.
The taste is of course "woody" but there everyone can decide if this is good or not according his own taste. The use of the glass or wood MPs plays a role too and it is nice to choose between the given stems the one that is best for the moment.
For now the biggest down side I see, is the fact that the wooden body gets quite hot during a session transmitting it to the mod too, maybe a heatsink can help in this way but take it easy and let the unit cool down a bit. Although this helps, I'm wondering how long that part can last not being insulated from the heater (the part close to the coils gets roasted too on the inside but I guess this is a process that will stop).
Talking about the coils : I used mostly the given ones with good results, making now some sessions with some fused claptons, same wattage (35W) same results , no glowing from the coils.
Some last (yet not final) considerations: I'm finding the Glow nice to use during day time as microdoser. The all wood style and the O-rings to fix the stem make the glow a good “outdoor solution”. I like the fact that it is completely rebuildable and customizable but some can maybe dislike this aspect.
To conclude I want to thank Greendreamshop for the great customer service and of course Dremwood . It's great see and try products that came from passionate, small manifacturers for the others passionate vaporists!

wisausnk

Hi everyone! Here to post my first impressions about the GlowRCV14mm after spending a few days with this little devil! I went for this purchase for many different reasons but the first and most important is my recently acquired WVAS (W for wood lol) ! Dreamwood really carves gorgeous wood and the GlowRCV is an eye catcher for sure! I was curious about RTA for dry herbs in wood. I was also looking for a microdoser and something for "on the go" and the fact that I'm livingin Europe played a role too. Another reason was the price, considering that it arrives with nice and useful extras and the quality of the parts.
Talking about the vapor: From the small amount I'm getting nice clouds, after the first two initial hits, without stirring if not during the last draws, the abv looks even. Using the given wattage range (30-35 watt) i'm not able to get full extraction yet, anyway I get pretty close without much oxidation of the herb. This vape has definetely a learning curve so I'm expecting better results with more use.
The taste is of course "woody" but there everyone can decide if this is good or not according his own taste. The use of the glass or wood MPs plays a role too and it is nice to choose between the given stems the one that is best for the moment.
For now the biggest down side I see, is the fact that the wooden body gets quite hot during a session transmitting it to the mod too, maybe a heatsink can help in this way but take it easy and let the unit cool down a bit. Although this helps, I'm wondering how long that part can last not being insulated from the heater (the part close to the coils gets roasted too on the inside but I guess this is a process that will stop).
Talking about the coils : I used mostly the given ones with good results, making now some sessions with some fused claptons, same wattage (35W) same results , no glowing from the coils.
Some last (yet not final) considerations: I'm finding the Glow nice to use during day time as microdoser. The all wood style and the O-rings to fix the stem make the glow a good “outdoor solution”. I like the fact that it is completely rebuildable and customizable but some can maybe dislike this aspect.
To conclude I want to thank Greendreamshop for the great customer service and of course Dremwood . It's great see and try products that came from passionate, small manifacturers for the others passionate vaporists!

You should try around 45-50w for better results that's my sweet spot, the body gets warm but I never had my body roasted and I use 50w. Check if the coils are not too far on the outside and have contact with the cover.

Top Bottom