DIY Induction Heater Builds and References

berserk6996

Hey @berserk6996 , sorry to hear a FET fried. FETs still give up the ghost for two reasons - a coil glitch or too much draw. Coil glitches are taken care of with soldering the coil to the board. I popped one unit by simply sticking a metal straw in a small coil. It just quit immediately and then started cooking.
The best way to ensure that the build will last is to know the power levels that they are pulling for each VapCap.

@Fosterqc - I was going the battery pack direction as well with 3s 18350. Looking forward to see how you move forward with this.
@TommyDee my coil is soldered to the board but I did some tests runs with a thin steel wire. Maybe that was the problem. What is your recommendation for coil windings? 1 or 2 layers, how many turns?

Thanks man, you really did some awesome work and took the time to document and share it. Bravo!

berserk6996,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
I appreciate that @berserk6996 .

The coil wire wants to be 12 gauge around 33" long. I like 8-9 turns on the ID and 3 turns on the OD on a 15-16mm ID coil.

Thin steel wire shouldn't kill a HalfPint. The diver is still a 120W driver. Careful with rings if things are too exposed.

TommyDee,
Reactions: PKOK

Willawonkysweet

We should gather a consortium of makers and do artisan commissions. People make modules, others make cases, and another consolidates.

This would be highly inappropriate as a product considering it doesn't even have a proper fuse. This is minimalist to the max!
The only thing managed with this is thermal. Nothings gets stupid-hot with normal use. And nothing except a fault condition will leave the unit running.
If anything ever goes stupid, I have a big yard to toss the flaming embers onto. Overnight, the batteries are charging and out of the unit.
Yeah, that what I need.
I became intrigued with IH DIY, but fell into ADHD obsession on the cases. I have hordes of cool ideas for cases, but I'm a total beginner on the electronic side.

Willawonkysweet,
Reactions: Fosterqc

TommyDee

Vaporitor
@Willawonkysweet - Use the module as a space-claim and make sure the case of choice has a way of housing the physical bits; say orient the coil and place the module - know that you can connect the coil's leads to the module to the circuit board in your layout. Account for lights and extra circuits you have become familiar with ... once your case can manage all that, I'm sure we can cobble a few wires in there.

Anyone have a good source for short glass tubes? I tried cutting down 16mm od test tubes but I'm not getting any clean cuts. I liked the idea of the test tube as the rounded bottom helps center the vapcap in the tube.

RandomFactor,

Exsmoker

Plant Manager
Anyone have a good source for short glass tubes? I tried cutting down 16mm od test tubes but I'm not getting any clean cuts. I liked the idea of the test tube as the rounded bottom helps center the vapcap in the tube.

I used this when I built my IH

Exsmoker,
Reactions: TommyDee

Lipax

I really like this Thread, been lurking for a while :)

I made a portable IH a but my fet fried :/

@TommyDee what would be a good replacement for the IRFP250 FETs? I can't seem to find the exact one I have on the board. Thanks

an answer to this would be very nice. i think i also read that pipes changes his fets too?

i found some recommendations in the bits and pieces thread but its a little bit dated.

Any help would be appreciated

/e found pipes video

Last edited:
Lipax,
Reactions: aovaron

Fosterqc

Hey all I have a problem where the mosfet modules I got do not seem to be working. I hook up to a battery and press the gate switch and nada.

Anyone have some advice or know what I could do to verify their fault?

Fosterqc,

aovaron

Hi,

Iam new here. Sorry for my bad English.
Iam German :) but i hope you can read it.

I made some IH für my Dynavap. (Link at the end)
Some Friends of mine seeking now for an good Option for an Travel IH.
i tryed the last one with some smalle Accus and an 5V USb Charging Solution.
But the Heating of the DynaVap is about 30sec. This is very long.

I have seen the Solution with the external 3x 18650 Accu Box and this would be an good option.
So i can use the Box to use it via PowerAdapter and on travel the AccuPack.
But can i charge the AccuBox direct over the IH? Or should i get the Accus out and charge it manually with an Charger?

So i seek an good solution for this.
I had an 3d Printer by myself an can make enclosures.

So if anyone had some Tips for me would be nice.

I have seen this here. This looks small but i dont now how it works with this small Accu and charging. Small Induction Heater on Alibaba

Mine IH so far

thx Guys

Ps. Great Works here :)

aovaron,

aovaron

an answer to this would be very nice. i think i also read that pipes changes his fets too?

i found some recommendations in the bits and pieces thread but its a little bit dated.

/e found pipes video
Hi. looks nice.
Can you give me some Infos about the Accu?
Is the STL available?
So we can share our Experiences?

thx

aovaron,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
EVERY TIME I find my way back here @TommyDee and others turn this up a notch. When / Why the double coil?
Double coil manages overall height of the coil without removing any wire length.

/e found pipes video
The number on the original FET should be used. They come in 2 flavors but they are nearly identical.
Mine use 24N06G FETs ...eBay.

20200922_175148 (1).jpg

TommyDee,

blastfromdapast

How about just a plain schematic of the connections and barring that perhaps an actual drawing of the connections of the changes to the IH module so those of us that are not so gifted do not 'let the smoke' out of a number of IH modules by mistake. I must not be as intuitive as you guys despite working as an electronics tech for over 3 years, to me the connections surrounding the centre tapped single inductor wrapped torroidal or ferrite core are not clear. As I said I must just not have the tech skills to figure this out but please add a schematic or at least a good hand drawn item SHOWING the proper connections. I have about a dozen IH modules but would rather get it right the first time than to pop 3 or 4 when a simple drawing might be better suited to the inexperienced I appear to be. Thanks in advance or if the info is on here somewhere I have not yet located, a gentle nudge in the direction to that page would be vastly appreciated. Again, TNX in advance. I have made a few with the full module and they all work as they should but the cutting down of one torroidal wrapped coil and a BIG cap would solve that size issue. I also wonder since I am not that well versed in subs, are there not smaller caps with the same spec, (perhaps MILSTD parts made for the military) would do the same job, carry the LC tank current and be much smaller.

blastfromdapast,

blastfromdapast

Hi again, I am sitting in the hospital right now with what is likely terminal colon/liver cancer and while heading home ina week or two have been here 5 weeks so have no access to my stuff at home including the ZVS modules. In light of that, is there a brand name or at the least there should be the value specs on the big caps and I wonder if someone could supply that so I can do some cross-referencing while in here on if there are good alternatives (as in smaller) caps I could replace those honking big one with. A clear photo of teh embossed specs or even easier would be to just read then directly and pass them to me. If that is possible, I would greatly appreciate it. I have no idea how long I am on this world but would for one like to finish my own portable IH before I go. Who knows, I may have a decent time left but I feel like I am spinning my wheels in here in regards to this and could sure use the value of those caps. These are the things that make these things (cancer) easier to deal with and even if I knew I would go tomorrow, I can still learn something today correct? Thanks in advance.

blastfromdapast,

TommyDee

Vaporitor
The value is 0.33uf at 1200VAC. Man, sucks to be dealing with that cancer. Very sorry to hear that.
Artisans and Dynatec have used lower voltage rated caps. They just have to react fast enough in a 200khz range.
Chokes too can be reduced significantly in wire gauge. The aim is 100uh although I've run them into the 33uh range.

TommyDee,

blastfromdapast

The value is 0.33uf at 1200VAC. Man, sucks to be dealing with that cancer. Very sorry to hear that.
Artisans and Dynatec have used lower voltage rated caps. They just have to react fast enough in a 200khz range.
Chokes too can be reduced significantly in wire gauge. The aim is 100uh although I've run them into the 33uh range.
thanks for that info. I should not have made such a big deal about the hosp only needed a good reason why I did not look for myself and the Wifi here is terrible with all the people on it. I am looking fed to getting home and this kind of stuff helps a lot, but although I am only 64, I look at it this way. I have seen further into the cosmos which is like looking back tru time and been able in my limited capacity to try to grasp the concepts of relativity and in a MINUTE way to be able theu a tiny view into the quantum world I have seen more than most humans in teh history of beyond history, and I consider that a privilege. I mean 30 to 45 THOUSAND kids die a DAY on this planet from dysentery, and things like bad water or no oxygen, who and what makes me special? Not a thing. I and grateful to be living in Canada and to be in the setting I am in with all thes wonderful people caring for me but home will be a definite change for the better and this stuff keeps me so busy trying this stuff out that I do not have time to be concerned. What is to be afraid of except a bad death (as in pain and un-needed suffering. I saw a movie, or maybe I just saw the title WAY back in late 60sor maybe early 70s called "They Shoot Horses Don't They?" and to me it strikes me as we put down an animal when they break a leg or are too sick to care because it is the HUMANE thing to do yet we make humans, the real root of that word suffer to the bitter end. I am a yakker so will shut up now but thanks so much for the info. I have looked high and low trying to find a pic of the values and this came just in time. Thanks again. Appreciated

blastfromdapast,
Reactions: TommyDee

blastfromdapast

blastfromdapast,

blastfromdapast

Hey. Don't worry. Its just a warning. I don't expect nothing (I come from the medical side)... we are dealing with around 70 watts (correct me TommyDee) not with 1200w or 3000w with and induction stove. Keep cool. Watch your body and heart. Don't hold the IH near to your implants. Enjoy your live.
And think about reducing the power. We can use the range between 5 and 12V... if you are worried... wait a little longer with 7V or 9V ;)
mind you and on a more cavalier 'sick' type joke I used to work at a Dodge garage after the first caravans came out and there was a recall and I appologize to anyone who this has actually happened to but on the news it came out like there were babies flying out of the backs of Dodge Caravan vans all the time, and to anyone I spoke to, the defective latch on the rear WAS an issue but it became a running sick joke as to "how many babies you see on the way to work today", but in regards to the IH modules affecting pacemakkers I WOULD definately ask my cardiologist but by the same token I have not heard of a plethora of people this happened to and just think maybe, keep one in your shirt pocket and then enter marathons, give 'er a kick at the very end and become famous. I am ONLY joking but normally you would think you would hear more from critics of IH devices like bolt cutters, stoves etc and I have read none but I WOULD suggest the cardiologist. If life theatening the VC is NOT worth that but I have a feeling the doc MIGHT be 'interested' but doubt he would say STOP IT NOW! Just an opinion but in my situation it is better to check than to check out believe me. Life IS short guys & gals

Doug

blastfromdapast,

copilot

I built my first IH 3 years ago and it's worked great. Finally decided to make a portable one and went in a little different direction for fun and thought I'd share it here. This is "DeWUT?" - a DeWalt Battery-powered portable induction heater power tool. 3D printed with Volt/Amp meter and safety switch. I had a lot of DeWalt batteries so being able to swap them in and out is great... that along with the ergonomics of a trigger-based device when in full couch-lock mode.

Top Bottom