NFC DIY Induction Heater Builds and References

TommyDee

Vaporitor
You've got the circuit correct @blastfromdapast - the 5-amp switch could be under the limits but that depends on power supply and the final configuration. 60 watts is 12V at 5A. I can pull 80-90 watts on several caps if I give it the juice. Will the 5 amp switch work? sure - but if you are pulling more, it might fail at some point. Always nice to have a way to measure power input to know how the unit is operating.

TommyDee,

blastfromdapast

You've got the circuit correct @blastfromdapast - the 5-amp switch could be under the limits but that depends on power supply and the final configuration. 60 watts is 12V at 5A. I can pull 80-90 watts on several caps if I give it the juice. Will the 5 amp switch work? sure - but if you are pulling more, it might fail at some point. Always nice to have a way to measure power input to know how the unit is operating.
thanks so much for this quick reply. I am raring to go and get it done. This is fun!

Doug Baird

blastfromdapast,
  • Love
Reactions: TommyDee

badbee

5Amp 250VAC
Keep in mind that a switch rated for 5 A AC is only good for about 2 A DC. Switches in DC circuits experience more arc'ing as the switch opens, with an AC circuit the arc is broken when it swings through zero volts. This is low voltage but you still want a good solid switch with the required DC rating.

badbee,

blastfromdapast

Keep in mind that a switch rated for 5 A AC is only good for about 2 A DC. Switches in DC circuits experience more arc'ing as the switch opens, with an AC circuit the arc is broken when it swings through zero volts. You want a good solid switch with the required DC rating.
thanks, I ordered some automotive ones, that should do the trick. Not fancy nor do they light up but solid.
Thanks again

Doug Baird

blastfromdapast,
Top Bottom