• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Divine Tribe atty's

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
my thoughts exactly. it'd be nice to hear from someone who's used it that way. @BabyFacedFinster?
I'm looking forward to trying it out. I have a few mod setups, such as the mod V5, and have never liked them. I much prefer my V5 in the Core unit. I'm thinking this battery with the factory settings is up my alley. Perhaps it's like with cars. Some folks like the full control of a manual transmission, while others (like me) prefer the ease of automatic transmission with less detailed control.

I'm hoping this thing is fun to use and might take the place of my terp pen or cartridge pens for quick hitting (and small amounts.)

florduh

I'm a dry boy. I like dry dabs, from a wax pen. To me, the best form of cannabis consumption is a rosin pod or cart. You do get a better tasting hit from a load as you go device, but I'm always trying to recreate that rosin pod vibe in a wax pen form.

I wonder if I could make one of those Lightning Pen heaters work in my M22 atty housing. The site says they're just under .4 inches high.

Really glad to see smaller crucible heaters coming out. I'm over here loading half a rice grain, so the v5 or ESCC heaters are kind of overkill and are just shooting extra radiant heat into my driptip.

BabyFacedFinster

I'm a dry boy. I like dry dabs, from a wax pen. To me, the best form of cannabis consumption is a rosin pod or cart. You do get a better tasting hit from a load as you go device, but I'm always trying to recreate that rosin pod vibe in a wax pen form.

I wonder if I could make one of those Lightning Pen heaters work in my M22 atty housing. The site says they're just under .4 inches high.

Really glad to see smaller crucible heaters coming out. I'm over here loading half a rice grain, so the v5 or ESCC heaters are kind of overkill and are just shooting extra radiant heat into my driptip.
There are a few other videos where Matt is using the Lightening Pen heater on a mod. IDK if he talks about the settings he used in the vids so someone could fine tune their hits.

The V5 has worked very well for me, and I'm always in search of the next phase for erig dabbing. I have been tempted by the Proxy for daily use, but I don't think it would give me a better experience than my Core, just different. It's also not small or cheap enough to use as a quicky pocket portable. If the LP works well, then it will earn a place in the rotation as a backyard/road trip vape.

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
USPS just dropped off the new Lightning pen. While the battery is being topped off I thought I'd share a couple of first thoughts.

It's smaller than I was expecting, even after watching Matt's videos and checking out the pictures on iNeedHemp. I thought it would be much thicker and a bit longer. I am very happy it's the size that it is. It is a little thicker than the old 510 eGo batteries, which means it doesn't fit into any of the nice little stands I have, but such is life. Comes with an extra pair of O-Rings and an extra heater cup with extra screws and a tiny hex tool. (And a nice tiny dab tool and a very short USB C to USB A cable). It doesn't have pass through charging; you can't vape while you're charging. Seems to take about 400mA, but may take more when it's actually discharged. It was mostly charged when I got it.

And speaking about the size, the ceramic cup is smaller than I visualized as well. A Q-Tip barely fits inside. barely. When I got the QQ chimney ceramic cup I thought it was tiny compared to the V5 ceramic cup, but the Lightning pen cup is really tiny!

A note about the top: as with the v4 and v5 metal caps; you can pull it off and you can unscrew it. If you unscrew it you're probably not doing what you want as the heater section will remain in the top. The only time you want to unscrew is when you want to remove the heater section itself from the battery. If you don't want to pull the cap straight off, just twist it clockwise as you pull it off. The cap doesn't unscrew, only the heater unscrews...

So let's talk 510 connectors. So close but so far. The thread pitch and diameter of the connectors appear to be to the 510 "standard" (there never was a 510 standard, just something most manufacturers tried to come close to). But the depth is all wrong. I have every kind of eCig battery known to man here, and the heater won't work in any of them because its 510 connector is too long. When the heater connector bottoms out in the battery connector, the threads are still too far apart to engage. I can screw one of my oil carts into the battery because it's narrow enough to fit, and it actually works, (but is useless because the air intake slots on the oil cart are blocked inside the battery). I have no plans to use the Lightning battery with anything else, but it would have been nice to be able use the Lightning Heater on a different mod.

So this last part is mostly to point out to everyone what wasn't obvious to me. I've been using a 3grams heated melt tip on top of a tiny eGo battery to drip dabs into the V5 cup and QQ chimney for months. Best thing since sliced bread. So I also ordered the heated dab tool that comes with the Lightning pen. Guess what? The heated dab tool fits the Lightning battery (same very long 510 connector) but nothing else. So it turns out to be not very useful. It would mean unscrewing the Lightning heater, screwing in the dab tool, grab a dab and drip it into the cup, which wouldn't want to stand up straight because that end is the 510 connector. Then unscrew the dab tool, and screw in the just loaded heater. For every hit. I think not. (I could buy another Lightning battery, to use as a spare. Then I could use it to load the cup and when the main battery gives out, move the dab tool battery to the heater. I think I'll just stick with the heated dab tool I already have). I think maybe this has something to do with the transition from the AIO coil based pen to the ceramic based Lightning pen, but I don't know about the AIO because I don't like wire coils.

Anyway, it's charged enough.

It gives MONSTER hits. More later.

Edit: So I did a little more digging and I think I may understand why the heated dab tool was available with the Lightning Pen. Users of the AIO pen were asking if they could use a new Lightning heater with their AIO battery. Apparently the AIO battery isn't suitable for the Lightning heater (don't know if it's available current limits or capacity limits) so I think that DT just wanted to give them a discount on the dab tool (to use with their AIO battery) when they bought a Lightning Pen.

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
USPS just dropped off the new Lightning pen. While the battery is being topped off I thought I'd share a couple of first thoughts.

It's smaller than I was expecting, even after watching Matt's videos and checking out the pictures on iNeedHemp. I thought it would be much thicker and a bit longer. I am very happy it's the size that it is. It is a little thicker than the old 510 eGo batteries, which means it doesn't fit into any of the nice little stands I have, but such is life. Comes with an extra pair of O-Rings and an extra heater cup with extra screws and a tiny hex tool. (And a nice tiny dab tool and a very short USB C to USB A cable). It doesn't have pass through charging; you can't vape while you're charging. Seems to take about 400mA, but may take more when it's actually discharged. It was mostly charged when I got it.

And speaking about the size, the ceramic cup is smaller than I visualized as well. A Q-Tip barely fits inside. barely. When I got the QQ chimney ceramic cup I thought it was tiny compared to the V5 ceramic cup, but the Lightning pen cup is really tiny!

A note about the top: as with the v4 and v5 metal caps; you can pull it off and you can unscrew it. If you unscrew it you're probably not doing what you want as the heater section will remain in the top. The only time you want to unscrew is when you want to remove the heater section itself from the battery. If you don't want to pull the cap straight off, just twist it clockwise as you pull it off. The cap doesn't unscrew, only the heater unscrews...

So let's talk 510 connectors. So close but so far. The thread pitch and diameter of the connectors appear to be to the 510 "standard" (there never was a 510 standard, just something most manufacturers tried to come close to). But the depth is all wrong. I have every kind of eCig battery known to man here, and the heater won't work in any of them because its 510 connector is too long. When the heater connector bottoms out in the battery connector, the threads are still too far apart to engage. I can screw one of my oil carts into the battery because it's narrow enough to fit, and it actually works, (but is useless because the air intake slots on the oil cart are blocked inside the battery). I have no plans to use the Lightning battery with anything else, but it would have been nice to be able use the Lightning Heater on a different mod.

So this last part is mostly to point out to everyone what wasn't obvious to me. I've been using a 3grams heated melt tip on top of a tiny eGo battery to drip dabs into the V5 cup and QQ chimney for months. Best thing since sliced bread. So I also ordered the heated dab tool that comes with the Lightning pen. Guess what? The heated dab tool fits the Lightning battery (same very long 510 connector) but nothing else. So it turns out to be not very useful. It would mean unscrewing the Lightning heater, screwing in the dab tool, grab a dab and drip it into the cup, which wouldn't want to stand up straight because that end is the 510 connector. Then unscrew the dab tool, and screw in the just loaded heater. For every hit. I think not. (I could buy another Lightning battery, to use as a spare. Then I could use it to load the cup and when the main battery gives out, move the dab tool battery to the heater. I think I'll just stick with the heated dab tool I already have). I think maybe this has something to do with the transition from the AIO coil based pen to the ceramic based Lightning pen, but I don't know about the AIO because I don't like wire coils.

Anyway, it's charged enough.

It gives MONSTER hits. More later.

Thanks for the very detailed notes, especially on the 510 compatibility. I’ve had limited success when any of my old 510 Attys didn’t make the PEG/NEG connection by using an adapter, just from a collection of cheap Chinese adapters I collected over time. A DEEP thread is bad case, maybe the design specs called for it, or it’s made NOT to connect to most mods from the beginning. Too bad, Matt always seems to sell everything modular, and and the parts separately for most his stuff. Looking at his site again, seems I cab even get these new side heaters in the old Quest I have, and my V4, those are the last products I bought. Now that my DNA75C mods have the AUTO FIRE firmware, I’ll have to revisit my portable crucible cups!

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: florduh

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I'm really having a good time with the Lightning Pen. Too soon for detailed reports as I'm still trying to figure out warm up and cool off time, but I am absolutly getting clouds from this. Usually two hits with huge clouds and two hits of thinner clouds per load. And the loads are tiny. And I have only tried low power. And best of all, the flavor is great. My dab pen before this uses coils, and its taste sucks.

Some more battery observations. When you turn it on (or off) the LED column flashes three times. You can tell the charge state by the number of LED lights flashing on in the column (3 on = full charge, 2 on = middle charge, 1 on = low charge). It has a 10 minute auto shutdown. If you don't press the button for 10 minutes the pen shuts off (needs 5 presses to start up). This put me off at first until I realized I wasn't going to be using the pen at home, only on the road, and it will be sitting in my pocket or in my case, not in front of me on the desk. If I forget to manually turn it off it could fire accidentally since the button protrudes. As I mentioned above, no pass through charging. I'll report the maximum charge current it takes once it's discharged.

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Went to sleep with the battery indicator showing two LEDs. It had been on two LEDs for quite a while. When I woke up the battery only showed one LED. (? not sure if there is a self discharge problem or it was right on the threshold between one LED and two LEDs when I went to bed.) I got maybe two big hits this morning with the battery indicator showing the bottom one LED. Then the bottom LED just flashed and did not power the heater. Plugged in a 60W USB-C PD charger (to make sure that charging wasn't being limited by the charger). The battery charges at 425mA (just like my old eGo batteries), so it should take 2 1/2 hours to charge if it's a 900mAh battery. I'm not going to make any judgements about the battery until it has a couple of charge/discharge cycles.

Edit: Here's the charge report. Went from one lit LED to two LEDs after ~450mAh delivered. Went to three LEDs after about 800mAh delivered. But still charging with 375mA and tapering down after all three LEDs are on. (So don't stop charging after the three LEDs come on). In total it took 960mAh when the charging was done in exactly 2 hours and 53 minutes. The bad thing? The three LEDs don't turn off when it's fully charged. So you can get to about 85% full or so when the three LEDs are on, but you need to leave it charging for another 45 minutes if you want to charge it the last 15%. This was the first charge discharge charge cycle I put the battery through so values and times may change a little once the battery settles in. Too bad the LEDs don't go out once it's fully charged...

Last edited:
Haywood,
Reactions: florduh

darbarikanada

I'm wondering if the lightning might actually be a good hash vaporizer, with its high temps and a non-stick(?) bowl. thoughts?

darbarikanada,

florduh

Bummer that you can't slap the pen atty onto a box mod easily. But the heater itself is small enough that it might work on a variety of RDA decks.

I love the idea of a powerful, but tiny crucible for on the go hits. The price on the pen is pretty fantastic too. Makes it easy to recommend to people as it will be a huge improvement over bare coil pens or weak crucibles like the Puffco Pen.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Wow, so many posts lately !

Here's my write-up on the lightning pen...

That looked like a crazy amount of vapor, so I'm curious how much he loaded.
it'd be nice to hear from someone who's used it that way

OK, so, like my review states, this cup is only 0.5cm or roughly 0.19 inches, in diameter, and 10mm tall.
Therefore the amount you insert is quite tiny.
It cant take more than a 1/2 ricce grain, u can pack it with a rice grains worth if u pack it down.

However, over-loading it will cause more splash and therefore more mess.

Yes, it IS a crazy amount of vapor !

If you're familair wiht the lightning cups that went on the Quest, you know what kickers these lil things are!

Yeah , uh... that little amount of extract goes a long way with this thing.

The key is to gently sip it. The auto-fire/session mode is 15 seconds which is way longer than I can hit.

Hope this helps. Check out my review on it....

Cheers

Last edited:

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
have every kind of eCig battery known to man here, and the heater won't work in any of them because its 510 connector is too long

uh
works fine in my mods, the ones with spring-loaded 510 pins.
I have it on my Hammer Of God in pics on my review.
Worked awesome.
I'll try it on my Wismec mod right now...
Yep !
So it works on my Wismec RX 20700, it works on my DNA400 Hammer Of God, and I'd bet it works on my Hyperion also !

... EDIT: Just tried it on my Lost Vape Hyperion mod... works great ! Man, all this testing I'm doing is getting me extremely medicated....

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

Wow, so many posts lately !

Yeah… where you been? :)

... EDIT: Just tried it on my Lost Vape Hyperion mod... works great ! Man, all this testing I'm doing is getting me extremely medicated...

Thanks for the research. So it may work on many 510 mods, but….. wouldn’t we still need an appropriate top cap chamber?
The one that comes with the entire pen obviously works, but would have to be sold separately, which I’m not sure Matt would do.

@DJ Colonel Corn
QUESTION: I have a lot of Quartz Quest and V4 gear, time for me to get the V5. I’ll be buying the matching 14mm GLASS vortex, I use the older models with them, but evidently the new V5 requires an updated glass top attachment. I also believe the only way to get the V5 & 510 bottom, is getting the “package”, which includes the metal top piece, that I never use. If I’m correct, I’ll just get the package, no problem. So my little question is, you have a bunch of choices in the “drop down” menu, most of which are self explanatory, and many I recall from my past purchases.

One choice confuses me, the one below, is this just the normal push in drip TIP, that pushes in the top of the metal chamber cover? Don’t see how that would be a good seal in the 14mm female glass joint of the Hubble Bubbler. Don’t see anything like that in all the photos, what am I missing here?

V5 MENU CHOICE:
“SteelTip&Glass 14mmMaleTip”

RustyOldNail,

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
wouldn’t we still need an appropriate top cap chamber?
The one that comes with the entire pen obviously works, but would have to be sold separately
Um,
I don't understand the question. When you get the diffuser, it comes with the cap. You use that cap when using the base on a mod.

good seal in the 14mm female glass joint of the Hubble Bubbler

It's actually.. um.. I have one around here somewhere... I'll take a pic if I find it, for ya... but, its a quartz piece with a frostsed male cone that fits right into the hubble bubble perfeclty air tight. Great fit.
At least, that's what I believe it is. I haven't ordered it with that drop down menu, I got mine separate a long time ago.
It actually seals almost too well, sometimes causing the mouthpiece/male tip to come off of the v5 and stay stuck in the hubble, heh.
I can't remember why I switchted to the silicone adapters for the v5/hubble combo, but I did.
Just take metal tip off to install either one. The silicone can sometimes pop out of the top of the v5, too, if it gets too oily on the part that i nserts into the V5 metal top.
Yeah, the classic glass top usuallly doen't fit the V5. They can be slightly off in diameter from one another, so, if you get the right luck of the draw, you'll find a v4 glass top that fits the v5.
For example, I had 5 v4 glass tops, and 2 of them fit onto the v5.
So, you have a SIC Quest or a Quartz Quest ? I ask because the glass top is different on each one. The SIC Quest has a 14mm male top that is similar to what I think you get with 'glass 14mm tip' option.
Hope this helps !

DJ Colonel Corn,
Reactions: Easywider

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Are there lighting pens available anywhere in EU ? I really like SS looks !

Abysmal Vapor,

RustyOldNail

Um,
I don't understand the question. When you get the diffuser, it comes with the cap. You use that cap when using the base on a mod.

It is in regards to those with thoughts of just buying the heated cup with 510 base and using it on our own mod batteries, one would still need the top cap that obviously comes with the pen. I’m not interested in the included battery.

I appreciate all the rest you wrote, but I’m sorry to have wasted your time, because I understood everything you wrote, from my own experiences that match yours. I don’t use the silicone adapters, because I never use the METAL TOPS, can’t see the cup as well as the all glass tops. A bit of joint wax helps with the all glass 14mm tops into the Hubble Bubbler, all I use.

But since the V5 kit only comes with the METAL TOP, and you have to choose from the drop down DRIP TIP menu, I see a choice that I don’t understand:
V5 MENU CHOICE:
“SteelTip&Glass 14mmMaleTip”

From this page:

NEVERMIND, I believe I found it:

I bought these with the older versions, they work ok, if you just use the METAL top cap, but I will order the all GLASS vortex top, when I get the V5 kit, this way I know it will fit.

I won’t edit the top of my post, maybe it will help someone else….

Last edited:
RustyOldNail,

BabyFacedFinster

Just got the Lightening Pen and it is a lot of fun to play with. That is the smallest bucket I've ever seen. It takes a steady hand to load it so you don't get concentrate on the outside of the cup. I can't see this working for oily or sappy stuff. It needs to be something firmer like a wax or badder to drop it in easily and not make a mess. More to come.

florduh

Just got the Lightening Pen and it is a lot of fun to play with. That is the smallest bucket I've ever seen. It takes a steady hand to load it so you don't get concentrate on the outside of the cup. I can't see this working for oily or sappy stuff. It needs to be something firmer like a wax or badder to drop it in easily and not make a mess. More to come.

I already load microdoses with toothpicks. Works well with all the rosin I have, which is all a sauce/badder consistency. My plan was to just stick the toothpick in the crucible/cylinder, and pulse the button while wiping it off on the sides.

I use a fancy titanium toothpick now, but used bamboo toothpicks for years. Bamboo is fairly non-stick.

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
It takes a steady hand to load it so you don't get concentrate on the outside of the cup.
YES , it does, and I forgot to mention something to that effec in my review.

Yeah I have used it with badder/budder and that works amazingly well.
Was thinking it would be kinda hard to get saucy stuff in there, but this toothpick idea might work well ! :)
Also the dab tool Matt includes is small enough to fit inside of the cups. :)

BabyFacedFinster

I already load microdoses with toothpicks. Works well with all the rosin I have, which is all a sauce/badder consistency. My plan was to just stick the toothpick in the crucible/cylinder, and pulse the button while wiping it off on the sides.

I use a fancy titanium toothpick now, but used bamboo toothpicks for years. Bamboo is fairly non-stick.
I've been using the ball tip end of my dabber with a quick swirl usually deposits most of a wax or rosin, but the toothpick is a great idea.

I've been pairing it with an inverted J-hook for a fairly cool hit. It's still very new to me, but I find myself double clicking for the 15 sec sess, but clicking it off after only 5-6 seconds or just running it on-demand for cooler hits. A full 15 sec cycle seems too hot.

Last edited:
BabyFacedFinster,
Top Bottom