Discussion on Inserts

Gnome34

I've reached out to August to see if the new better banger is compatible with his dual zone controller. Obviously only using one zone. I already own the dual zone and it isn't worth it for me to but a whole new set up for the banger.

Very interested in it! Seems like a unique solution, get the feeling it will perform well. If it only works on the cube I may talk to my better half about a christmas present ....

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
I'm very excited to see some discussion about that new better banger! Although they don't seem to be mentioned very often August makes some very cool tech and I dig how this is a bit more universal than their dual-zone stuff. $140 for the banger and $250 for the controller isn't cheap but is low enough compared to some other players in the high end e-nail scene.

710yota,

lazylathe

Almost there...
I've reached out to August to see if the new better banger is compatible with his dual zone controller. Obviously only using one zone. I already own the dual zone and it isn't worth it for me to but a whole new set up for the banger.

Very interested in it! Seems like a unique solution, get the feeling it will perform well. If it only works on the cube I may talk to my better half about a christmas present ....
No dice!!
Did you read the whole description? He noted that he is moving away from the dual zone and going to a single coil.
Most likely side and bottom heated but just a single controller.

It's a whole new system!

I have his dual setup as well but found it to be not much of an upgrade... The controller now runs my modified WeedEater and Supreme V4!

Gnome34

They switched to just one coil cause SiC already heats evenly enough so there's no need to heat multiple parts of it.
Something most the wax pen builders still haven't figured out.
I understood that, I'm just curious if I could use this coil on my dual zone controller with the other zone turned off. Maybe I'm misunderstanding his explanation of moving to a single zone. I didn't read it to mean that the better banger is not compatible with the old dual zone. Just that he wasn't going to be focusing on producing dual zone controllers?

jonthehuman

This is what I'm hoping for from the Better Banger: SiC plus full teardown = large dab surface + 100% easy to clean w warm iso.
As to the Kube - I was just checking out the latest and greatest and saw it had dropped -- I still don't know much about it really. Can someone fill me in to anything besides just the tiny bit of info on the website?

I like the dual zone setup, not enough to use it as much as I would have hoped for the price. Hopefully the kube is more daily-drive-oriented.

Current trifecta: CH B1 with 3mm rubies, CH B2 with 4mm rubies, and a MiniNail hybrid with SiC deep dish.
Just retired the Old Head Freight Train (injectors can't compete with shovelhead, the end) and the 30mm MiniNail (LOVE this, but without a SiC bucket it's useless. I can't clean this thing constantly and it chazzes up like it's made to.).

lazylathe

Almost there...
I have emailed August for any info, pictures or videos he may have.
A link to this thread was also provided, so he may jump in with a bit of luck!

As for more info, all we know is what was in the e-mail and what is posted on his site for now!
Hopefully more soon!

ontopofclouds

Current trifecta: CH B1 with 3mm rubies, CH B2 with 4mm rubies, and a MiniNail hybrid with SiC deep dish.
Just retired the Old Head Freight Train (injectors can't compete with shovelhead, the end) and the 30mm MiniNail (LOVE this, but without a SiC bucket it's useless. I can't clean this thing constantly and it chazzes up like it's made to.).
t bucket could also help fill what you're looking for here, the 30mm sic and sapphire dishes are both super easy to clean

new revision is supposed to drop sometime this month

jonthehuman

t bucket could also help fill what you're looking for here, the 30mm sic and sapphire dishes are both super easy to clean

new revision is supposed to drop sometime this month
I would buy one instantly, how do I get notified about the drop? I’m using a MiniMail w SiC bucket and it’s good. I use the ch b1 and b2 every day, they’re GREAT. I’m really hoping the y bucket is equally as great.

ontopofclouds

I would buy one instantly, how do I get notified about the drop? I’m using a MiniMail w SiC bucket and it’s good. I use the ch b1 and b2 every day, they’re GREAT. I’m really hoping the y bucket is equally as great.
best bet is to join their discord page and keep an eye on it over the next few weeks, chris said he would give a small heads up in there first before they put the t buckets live on the website

ontopofclouds,
Reactions: lazylathe

jonthehuman

best bet is to join their discord page and keep an eye on it over the next few weeks, chris said he would give a small heads up in there first before they put the t buckets live on the website
Thanks for the heads up, I’m new to discord but I’ll start checking daily. I’m just glad to hear the tbucket isn’t dead - the survey he sent out made me nervous about ever getting to try one.

jonthehuman,
Reactions: lazylathe

lazylathe

Almost there...
Some more news from August!!

I own their hydro dipped Dual Zone already.

For the KubeOne to Kube² the main advantage would be power. The Kube² has a much more robust power circuit that will heat coils much faster and will let the controller be more responsive to changes in temperature. The difference in controls is just for convenience, a lot of users found the app to be a little cumbersome so we opted for physical controls on the new model. The joy stick is just for fun, only the first twenty will have them because they also require more labor to assemble.

The advantage of the Better Banger is a more substantial change. Normal eBangers like the one you have conduct their energy from the coil through the quartz into your material. Quartz is very good at insulating heat, not conducting it, this makes for a situation where the coil overcompensates constantly. By replacing the quartz with Silicon Carbide (a material that transfers heat 100x faster and efficiently) the coil no longer needs to overcompensate. The user can get more activity from their material while using lower temperatures. We removed quartz from the equation of heat transfer, the results are amazing.

This Better Banger can work with your KubeOne but it will take about 5 minutes to heat up to temp, this is because the Silicon Carbide is conducting the heat away from the coil much more quickly. The previous DualZone and the new Kube² can heat the Better Banger in less than 2 minutes, reaching full temperature saturation in the same amount of time.

I will be offering the Better Banger separately but not until 2023. For the moment we only have enough for the limited edition release of the Kube².

-August

ontopofclouds

Some more news from August!!

I own their hydro dipped Dual Zone already.

For the KubeOne to Kube² the main advantage would be power. The Kube² has a much more robust power circuit that will heat coils much faster and will let the controller be more responsive to changes in temperature. The difference in controls is just for convenience, a lot of users found the app to be a little cumbersome so we opted for physical controls on the new model. The joy stick is just for fun, only the first twenty will have them because they also require more labor to assemble.

The advantage of the Better Banger is a more substantial change. Normal eBangers like the one you have conduct their energy from the coil through the quartz into your material. Quartz is very good at insulating heat, not conducting it, this makes for a situation where the coil overcompensates constantly. By replacing the quartz with Silicon Carbide (a material that transfers heat 100x faster and efficiently) the coil no longer needs to overcompensate. The user can get more activity from their material while using lower temperatures. We removed quartz from the equation of heat transfer, the results are amazing.

This Better Banger can work with your KubeOne but it will take about 5 minutes to heat up to temp, this is because the Silicon Carbide is conducting the heat away from the coil much more quickly. The previous DualZone and the new Kube² can heat the Better Banger in less than 2 minutes, reaching full temperature saturation in the same amount of time.

I will be offering the Better Banger separately but not until 2023. For the moment we only have enough for the limited edition release of the Kube².

-August
great information, definitely looking forward to trying it out here soon

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
It definitely seems inspired by the bottomless bangers.

IIRC Fadespace did something similar a few years ago, they had a SiC cup that sat on a ledge in a quartz banger body.

This thread definitely makes me want to go build a sample of my design I’ve been working on for my own “better banger.” Been apprehensive though cause I feel like the enail market took a major blow from the e-rig scene.

jonthehuman

It definitely seems inspired by the bottomless bangers.

IIRC Fadespace did something similar a few years ago, they had a SiC cup that sat on a ledge in a quartz banger body.

This thread definitely makes me want to go build a sample of my design I’ve been working on for my own “better banger.” Been apprehensive though cause I feel like the enail market took a major blow from the e-rig scene.how do you think the e-rig scene
How do you think the enail market was negatively impacted by erigs? More importantly I’d love to hear more about your new design… need any help? Happy to put up some $ for dev, or programming help, or <fill in anything> :)

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
How do you think the enail market was negatively impacted by erigs? More importantly I’d love to hear more about your new design… need any help? Happy to put up some $ for dev, or programming help, or <fill in anything> :)

Those Puffco's are super popular, I worked on the other side of the industry for a while and I was super surprised at just how popular they really were. And now there's a bunch of alternatives for people to pick from. For the casual user I think they replaced most need for an e-nail. Plus dab thermometers with torched nails seem more popular with the enthusiast crowd than I ever remember enails being. I still think there are some opportunities that haven't been done yet though that might get people more enthusiasts excited about e-nails.

Definitely appreciate your interest and eagerness to help!

Well I also recognized a while ago the problem with inserts and so I've been working on a way to take all the benefits of using an insert without bringing over the negatives. Originally I considered various two piece designs, but I've went in a different direction more recently, but it's just conceptual at this point until I can get some prototypes to test.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: JCat

lazylathe

Almost there...
LMAO!!!!
They fit a 25mm banger, so not too small. Height wise they are about 15mm tall, will have to measure them.

They were cheap as chips and a good introduction into inserts!
I bought both the Ruby and Sapphire inserts!
Ruby is super easy to use but the Sapphire is causing me some heating issues... Takes a lot of heat and then all of a sudden it's all bubbling!!
Getting some amazing hits though!!!

Good to see you around still!!!

Correct Measurements!
17mm tall
18mm OD
15mm ID
The Sapphire is also faceted!

This is in my V3 Gavel.
20221129-170446.jpg

Just to go back to this earlier post...
I switched out my Gavel for a thinner bottom, opaque quartz banger and am having a lot more success with the sapphire insert.
The Gavel is great for cold starts without an insert as it retains heat for a long time. With an insert it was more tricky.
Just using a "Your Boro Store" opaque bottom banger for now. It was cheap and it tastes amazing!

Much more predictable results and a faster heat up time!

TrichomeTheatre

It’s made everybody step up that’s for sure I enjoy using a torch, but my daily driver has become my Puffco 0G and the mini-nail, which is absolutely perfect! I have both the SIC hybrid as well as the 25 mm quartz, with a fadespace AIN insert, that I personally don’t think makes too much of a difference as far as taste-maybe on some single source rosin, but other than that I don’t know if it’s really worth it I think it’s also made some of us look at some bangers made by people like Evan Shore (and I don’t know anything about quartz, so I’m not putting anybody down, that’s for sure) for $350, while presently, you can get a complete set from Brian over at D Nail for that price, a hell of a set up too! I don’t know if companies like Focus V, Puffco, D-nail, The Mini Nail, and others would be as popular as they are if more, quality, quartz would be utilized by torch? But with so much added convenience it doesn’t seem to come at much of a cost, when considering how much you can (could) spend on just a single quartz banger. Production of such technologies (Puffco, The MiniNail) has obviously opened up the experience of using concentrates too many people that otherwise would have strayed down other paths, or rather, remained. So, with all that being said, I don’t think there has been a negative effect by the introduction of, expelled, conventional medicinal uptake by means of electric combustion. That is only my own personal thoughts. Thanks all!☮️❤️🧬

TrichomeTheatre,

lazylathe

Almost there...
I have placed my Ruby insert back into it's container and have been practicing with the faceted Sapphire insert.

Sapphire is a very different beast to Ruby that is for sure! Ruby tends to heat up like my banger does but Sapphire is a lot slower to absorb heat.
If I torch like I do for the ruby, the hits are very hot and the extract almost starts to bubble as soon as it slumps.
A new torch technique was required! And I have found it!!
Amazing hits, amazing flavor and absolutely hits way harder than any of my E-Rigs!

@biohacker
I also swapped out my Gavel for the 710Coils banger as the fit was a lot tighter!!! :brow::brow::brow:

This is my technique for Sapphire insert heating:

I heat as I do for a low temp hit but with a twist!
Step one is to pick a side of your banger to start heating.
Start by gently heating a bit of the neck, close to the joint and moving along the top section (level with the joint) to the halfway mark and back again until your flame starts to turn reddish. Flip to the other side and repeat.
Now gently heat the bottom section where the insert is sitting and go all around if you can, again until the flame turns reddish.
I move my rig to the edge of my desk and start gently heating the bottom of the banger. This way I can look into the banger and see what is going on with my extract, each melts slightly differently so this is perfect! Keep moving the gentle flame around the bottom and wait until it slumps and moves to the edges of the insert.
Keep heating and watching!! Once you see some bubbles start to form around the whole insert, remove the heat and cap.
Hit!!

It takes quite a bit longer to heat up the dab but for Sapphire inserts it works so much better!

I have some special concentrates waiting for New Years!

ontopofclouds

Do you have one?
What makes it stand out?
I got it a month ago but I've only been using it for about a week and a half or so

it's completely shelved my other desktop rigs, previously I was using a quartz mini-nail and a cannabis hardware tsunami w/ a sapphire dish

I do think August is on to something here with the direct heated sic bottom of the better banger

-fast heat up time
-reading on the controller/pid seems to way more accurately reflect the actual temp of the dabbing surface as opposed to other e-nails, definitely believe there's some validity to august's claim that the sic is achieving heat saturation at the same time as the coil
-performance is pretty insane tbh, I'm getting torch level monster hits at wayyyy lower temps than I expected

can't speak to flavor much tbh cause I'm not really a flavor guy in general, I care more about vapor production, etc. but I have no complaint in that regards. I know some people don't like sic very much but I personally can't tell much of a difference between sic and quartz/sapphire anyway so its more than fine for me

clean up has been pretty nice and easy even despite the fact that I'm going in hotter on some rosin than I probably "should" be, but I think the real key will be to see how hard or easy it is to disassemble the banger and clean/reassemble it. They shipped some pretty detailed instructions so I'm not really too worried, but of course I can't speak to it until I've taken it apart and done it myself, which I haven't yet.

the controller is nice built and well sized, colors are great and customizable, overall pretty pleased with it considering I blind purchased it without really knowing anything about it :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom