Dabpress Rosin Plates

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Nice to see a seller listing the pinouts so you can use other matching coils/setups,

Pin Wiring For 5-pin XLR Connection:

1. Power (Blue)
  2. Power (Blue)
  3. Thermocouple + (Red)
  4. Thermocouple - (Black)
  5. Ground (Yellow)
Top marks!

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
Maybe this is helpful for someone:

"Autotune" (they call it calibration here): Let your system equilibrate at your temperature (maybe half of your preferred temperature is worth a try too).
Then perform:
Push and hold set button. Then push set again till AtU shows.
Set AtU to 1 and the PID starts an autotune/calibration I believe. Wait.

It stabilised the shown temperature for me, which gave me piece of mind. Probably the dabbing surface doesn't change that much anyway, but I could not check this.

Last edited:
Thick Vape,
Reactions: arb

LesPlenty

Company Rep
That temp will be at the tip at the end of the coil, it is away from the dab surface so will be different. A cheap temp meter with K type contact thermocouple with a hard probe is more accurate and cheaper than an IR thermometer and the only real way to get a surface temp.
I like to be anywhere from 454f to 474f as a norm but will sneak a face slapper 550f to 600f.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Thanks for posting the autotune/calibration video @Thick Vape :tup:

I use my hybrid quartz+titanium nail, quartz banger and flowerpot with the 20mm heater coil. For that reason I will autotune when I change nails out.

There will always be a delta on our PID module compared to the dish temp, the k-type contact thermocouple @LesPlenty mentions is the best choice to know your surface temp. Once you know what temp you want the PID set at to give you the dish temp, fluctuations will occur when room temp caps are applied. The response will be quick from the 150W heater to maintain your set temperature.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Thanks for posting the autotune/calibration video @Thick Vape :tup:

I use my hybrid quartz+titanium nail, quartz banger and flowerpot with the 20mm heater coil. For that reason I will autotune when I change nails out.

There will always be a delta on our PID module compared to the dish temp, the k-type contact thermocouple @LesPlenty mentions is the best choice to know your surface temp. Once you know what temp you want the PID set at to give you the dish temp, fluctuations will occur when room temp caps are applied. The response will be quick from the 150W heater to maintain your set temperature.
Does the dabpress coil fit the flowerpot weed eater head?

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Does the dabpress coil fit the flowerpot weed eater head?

That I can not say for sure. Our heater coil on the hybrid quartz+titanium vaporizer pro (dp-tv150pro) is a 20mm barrel coil. It fits on the flowerpot showerhead. The titanium vaporizer (dp-tv150) has a 16mm barrel coil which I don't believe works with the weed eater.

arb

Semi shaved ape
That I can not say for sure. Our heater coil on the hybrid quartz+titanium vaporizer pro (dp-tv150pro) is a 20mm barrel coil. It fits on the flowerpot showerhead. The titanium vaporizer (dp-tv150) has a 16mm barrel coil which I don't believe works with the weed eater.
Sorry for being vague I meant the 20MM coil on the hybrid unit dp-tv150pro.
Seems like it should and if it does I can justify buying the weed eater head,bowl and post.......possibly the insulated handle.
😽
Edit
I see they use dabpress pid boxes for their presses,what's up with that out of curiosity?

Last edited:
arb,

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Sorry for being vague I meant the 20MM coil on the hybrid unit dp-tv150pro.
Seems like it should and if it does I can justify buying the weed eater head,bowl and post.......possibly the insulated handle.
😽
Edit
I see they use dabpress pid boxes for their presses,what's up with that out of curiosity?

So long as it accepts a standard 20mm barrel coil I don't see why it wouldn't work.

They do! I can't speak for NV, but they are indeed using our temperature control boxes on some of their offerings.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Quick clean and burnoff set to 650f
Looks like a great way to get into dabbing on a budget too, nice and simple with a great price.
Now drop it 200f and see if you still get good vapor.👨‍🔬

LesPlenty,
Reactions: arb

arb

Semi shaved ape
Looks like a great way to get into dabbing on a budget too, nice and simple with a great price.
Now drop it 200f and see if you still get good vapor.👨‍🔬
Minimal or none at that temp my guess is the quartz is losing quite a bit in the thermal dynamic transfer.
Very thick vapor at 650f but still smooth as silk it compares to the vapor off of a much more expensive 30MM quartz e-nail I used to have.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Thanks for your business @Purps_and_Terps please let us know how your pressing time goes!
Any idea on when this Jewell is gonna be available?
I feels like that is missing from my Dabpress lineup and can make my life easier.
🐸

pjwalm

Exciting presses! Glad to see DabPress is so active on this forum (and that it's frequented by Lotus vape fans)! I spoke for around a half hour on the phone with a guy from DabPress - great being able to talk to someone so knowledgeable. It sounds like they sell quality stuff.

Anyways, the reason for the call and the reason for this post is to share my thoughts and get input on picking a press - 10 ton aluminum, 10 ton stainless, or 12 ton aluminum.

Initially, I was drawn to the design and price of the 10 ton. Simple, serviceable, structurally sound. Then I saw it was aluminum... I love the idea of a lightweight press but worry a bit about long term hardening and cracking of the 6000 series AL. Probably a non issue considering how often it will be used (myself and a few friends at this point). It looks like the pid box can be stored below the press, it should just barely fit on my grow shelf, and the weight is still manageable. I imagine it's like a AL ladder or boat - light but powerful!

Then I saw the 10 ton stainless press. Very sleek and more stellar reviews. Not significantly more expensive ($470 vs $600). Wicked compact which is nice because I live in an apt. Seemed like a clear winner! On the other hand it's an older design and it shows... Idk how much size actually matters once you factor in the hoses, control box, hand pump, and storage orientation (eg al press over pid controller). Bolts holding it together in shear is just bad engineering... However, as other have pointed out, it appears to hold fine for the pressure being applied. The piston over the plate is also bit yucky, but as a forum member pointed out it could make it easier to load. Having 2 'glides' at the side rather than 4 at the corners seems like it could cause some alignment issues. One youtube video showed slight shifting when the plates hit. The dabpress rep said alignment is a non issue but the compact nature may make it a pain to insert papers. The 'drip tek support' on this press not being 90 degrees seems 'not as good', it doesn't leave a lot of room beneath the plates when tipped, and it doesn't allow you to warm jars on top of a tilted unit. I'm not sure if this matters as I don't have pressing experience. This press is out of stock but will be back in early November but i'm not in a huge hurry. I get the impression this is beautiful and refined yet a bit quirky like an Italian pasta maker.

Then I saw the 12 ton. Same price as the stainless but 50lbs vs 30lbs (AL or Stainless 10 ton). Perhaps a remedy to the strength concerns with the smaller unit or maybe not because there is a larger span and the top plates look like the same size? More heaters with a better metal to heat ratio for (slightly) faster heat up - that seems nice. Foot design is simpler - that seems good. Either way, it looks a bit beefier and it's significantly larger or more costly. A clear win over the 10 ton? The plates are 4x7 vs 3x5... Not sure if this is too large for a beginner personal press... Sounds like the 3x5 plate is best suited for 20g/press and the 4x7 40g/press? I see some of the squeezes people do on 3x3 plates and it gets me wondering if 4x7 is overkill and asking for heat damaged rosin. On the other hand it's really only about the size of my trackpad. It might be easier to load and proper oily runny rosin pressed drip tec style should run right off the plates anyhow.

The ideal press design imo would look be timewizard_greyfox (on Instagram) but this costs way more.

Questions for the community;

Concerning plate size;

- For guys who grow, is the typical workflow to press once a few weeks after harvest or closer to consumption? I could see a single press after harvest then refrigeration to minimize setup time and maximize terpene retention. Or do people prefer to press closer to consumption because pressing is fun and easy and/or the dabs are fresher (assuming bud of the same age)? If I press a 4x4 tent harvest at once the larger plates might make more sense.

- If I put it herb off center I presume this is going to cause issues eventually but placing a small load of herb in the middle might cook the oils more. Is this correct? On the 4x7 it sounds like the sweet spot is 1-3 vertical 2" bags stuffed to 14g - 14g, 28g, or 42g per press. On the 3x5 a 40mm bag sounds best - 10g or 20g per press. Do these ranges sound right? I've seen so many outliers but it sounds like the difference is half oz vs one oz ideal press load? Like everything - it can be exciting or become a chore. I want to future proof a bit but also don't want to oversize to my own detriment because my eyes are bigger than my lungs.

Concerning old/stainless vs new/aluminum (@[SIZE=3]superdang9000[/SIZE], @[SIZE=3]LesPlenty[/SIZE], @[SIZE=3]gunmetalshark[/SIZE]);

- Guys who have worked with both, which do you prefer and why?

- Would anyone have gotten a different press if it were available and why?

- Does the durability/look of the stainless outweigh perceived design drawbacks?

- Does the control box fit under the press legs during storage?

- Does that 90 degree drip tec support matter?

Sorry for the novel and thanks for any feedback! :)

Last edited:
pjwalm,

pjwalm

Thought i'd share a little scaled photoshop comparison of the three.

rosin.png

Top Bottom