Not open for further replies.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
5d15ec9f6bd16f4d8bdfbb8db8af34070058446b6670c6a3a04984ca11181bea.png

get

Last edited:

Tranquility

Once the protests were allowed, the "Phase 1" nonsense ended. You're going to get people protesting things like shutdown orders in bars by going to bars and protesting the order by drinking. You don't get to distinguish protests by viewpoint. Either they are a peaceable assembly or they are not. Voluntary attendance at a political protest is NOT more important than someone’s ability to make a living. When the protests were endorsed they undermined their entire Covid message and they're not getting that credibility back. People may very well die because of it. That's the risks in a free society.

Even little laws/orders are enforced by violence. Will masks be the new "loosie"?

But, many easy searches will bring up many results so you can find your own!

Edit:
Here's at least an attempt to reasonably communicate the mask *requirement* to people before the police get involved. Something that 90% of the world will understand.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Alaska-Airlines-unmasked-yellow-card-15377968.php
In soccer, a misbehaving player will receive verbal warnings from referees, and if the bad conduct continues, he or she will be handed a yellow card, which means “this is your final warning.” One more misstep after that, and the miscreant gets a red card and is ejected from the match.

Starting early in July, Alaska Airlines will borrow that soccer system for flight attendants to use in enforcing the airline’s in-flight face mask policy.

Ni60fL8.jpg

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Another Unwanted U.S. Record: 50,000 New Coronavirus Cases In 1 Day

In a grim accounting of the coronavirus' progress in the United States, another milestone was reached Wednesday: more than 50,000 new cases reported in a single day.

Johns Hopkins University & Medicine's Coronavirus Resource Center, which tracks the virus worldwide, says the total number of cases reported in the U.S. stands at 2,686,480, an increase over Tuesday's figure of 50,700. Deaths attributed to the coronavirus stand at 128,062.

Brazil is ranked second in the world behind the United States, with 1,448,753 cases and 60,632 deaths.

vapirtoo

I really do not care about who got tested or the rates of infected people. The real dope is how many are
dying or being hospitalized.
As I've stated earlier, all of the experts seem to be way behind what the essential workers are saying.
One of my sons is - was- an Uber driver who lost his sense of smell and taste in February. He kept
saying, "Its the Rona, Its the Rona". I checked with the CDC and at that time loss of smell or taste was not a symptom
of Covid-19. Two weeks later it was recognized as a symptom. My other son works in Rikers correction facility. He tested positive,
was symptom free and was called back to work the next week. The prison's ventilation system routes all the cells air into the officers
bubble area, so officers can smell weed or cigarettes. The bubble is flooded with all the exhalations of the prisoners. The medical staff recognized
that inmates with O type blood had few if no symptoms. Now this is known by most health care providers.

We are on our own and common sense is very uncommon with Americans. Masks do not protect the wearer; they stop your stuff from infecting others.
In NYC EVERYONE wears a mask publicly indoors. Outside about 90 percent wear masks; 100 percent have them handy.
These actions along with hand washing and social distancing have slowed the death rate in NY.

My family threw a surprise party on June 6 which had 30 people in the back yard and only one toilet inside!!
I was pissed and worried and had everyone give me their contact numbers. 14 days later and all was well, no
symptoms. ( Everyone was in health care and either already had it or had tested negative). Again not
having symptoms does not mean you are infection free. I was shaken as to how my family was acting as if
the pandemic had passed them by, but it seems that we dodged the bullet once again.

I just want to close by saying the long term effects of this virus are unknown, autopsies have shown tiny blood clots
in many organs. Survivors have had mental issues and some have even been reinfected, WTF!
Stay safe, wear a mask and oh yeah breathe only through your nose whenever possible.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
very few reports of the rapid mutation rate of the covid-19 … the less spread, the less the mutations will be. covid-19 is certainly an interesting model for the biohackers of the world.

Tranquility

very few reports of the rapid mutation rate of the covid-19 … the less spread, the less the mutations will be. covid-19 is certainly an interesting model for the biohackers of the world.
I think it's because it's hard. It is not difficult to say mutations are happening or that they're happening faster than with some other viruses and, maybe, some of the effects. But, once you get past that, you're hard into genetics and there is little chance of a young reporter describing the mechanism to readers/viewers in a way they understand. To read something like this:
Mutated coronavirus shows significant boost in infectivity
Would require me to spend hours in research to really understand what they are talking about. And, it was a press release! It didn't have the real science in it. The illustration used clarifies everything to me. (/sarc)
20200612-choe-farzan-coronavirus-spike-mutation-920x500.jpg

In this cryogenic electron microscope image of a SARS-CoV-2 spike protein side view, the S1 section of the spike is shown in green and the S2 portion is shown in purple. This unique two-piece system has shown itself to be relatively unstable. A new mutation has appeared in the viral variant most common in New York and Italy that makes this spike both more stable and better able to infect cells. (Credit: Andrew Ward lab, Scripps Research)

----------------------------------------------
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last update gave many phones ability to track movement for Covid. My phone is too old, but everyone else in the office has the undisclosed "feature". The default is "off", for now.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8483037/Is-secret-Covid-tracker-phone.html

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Forwarded by a friend, this is very interesting. It seems to be from a reputable source and is worth considering.
MMR Vaccine Could Protect Against the Worst Symptoms of COVID-19

Administering the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine could serve as a preventive measure to dampen septic inflammation associated with COVID-19 infection, say a team of experts in this week’s mBio, a journal of the American Society for Microbiology.

Tranquility

Forwarded by a friend, this is very interesting. It seems to be from a reputable source and is worth considering.
MMR Vaccine Could Protect Against the Worst Symptoms of COVID-19

Administering the MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine could serve as a preventive measure to dampen septic inflammation associated with COVID-19 infection, say a team of experts in this week’s mBio, a journal of the American Society for Microbiology.
They've known this is the case with many vaccinations for a while. Not the dampen septic inflammation portion, but all kinds of benefits from them in relation to Covid effects. These were all written in March.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.24.20042937v1
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04327206
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0042682214000051

The septic inflammation issue is certainly something to be avoided. It's how a lot die from Covid.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00134-020-06022-5

Use of steroids seems to prevent it too. (If you're not up to date on your vaccinations.)
https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/dexamethasone/
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/steroid-dexamethasone-reduce-covid-19-coronavirus-deaths

-------------------
Edit:
MASKS

I wear a mask. Not all experts agree. The study that has convinced everyone to require masks is reported here:
Face masks critical in preventing spread of COVID-19

A general criticism of mask requirements that focuses on that study's problems:
Mask Wars

Covid focused paper by masking experts (Literally, experts on "respiratory protection."):
COMMENTARY: Masks-for-all for COVID-19 not based on sound data

Last edited:

ginolicious

I know this thread is mainly about the news in the world. Well my buddy has it. And he’s in pretty bad shape. Very healthy dude. Just drinks beers. 31. Was coughing up blood. Shortness of breath. Couldn’t shower without getting tired. They gave him so many covid tests and they all kept coming back negative till they hit the positive. He’s hooked up to oxygen. Not a ventilator. He had to have a biopsy taken from his lung too. Haven’t heard from him all day.

vapirtoo

The " haven't heard from him all day" is the worst.
Anxiety, anxiety till you hear from him.
Thank God that this late into the pandemic, they
know that ventilators are deadly!
Lets hope he recovers!

vapirtoo,

Gigsabits53

I know this thread is mainly about the news in the world. Well my buddy has it. And he’s in pretty bad shape. Very healthy dude. Just drinks beers. 31. Was coughing up blood. Shortness of breath. Couldn’t shower without getting tired. They gave him so many covid tests and they all kept coming back negative till they hit the positive. He’s hooked up to oxygen. Not a ventilator. He had to have a biopsy taken from his lung too. Haven’t heard from him all day.
Very sorry to hear ginolicious. So sad what this virus has done. I hope your friend pulls through.

Gigsabits53,
Reactions: macbill

Tranquility

Coronavirus immunity might be even higher than tests show

Study: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.29.174888v1

But recent research indicates that immunity will be short-lived, and we could expect it to wane off after six to twelve months. Other studies have shown that the amount of neutralizing antibodies can drop significantly after three months. Those are the compounds produced by the immune system to block the virus from infecting cells. This would mean that any antibody test performed three months after infection might turn out to be negative.
The study indicates that the immunity might be more widespread inside a community than initially believed. That’s because authorities use antibody tests to determine the real spread of COVID-19. Take the CDC’s recent estimate that only 10% of US cases were confirmed via a PCR test. This is based on antibody testing in the country. But if the researchers in Sweden are right, then antibody testing would miss those individuals who have survived the illness and don’t have antibodies but do have a specific T-cell response that would give them protection. Mass-testing of T-cells is a more laborious process than testing for antibodies, however.
----------------------------------

COVID-19 Herd Immunity Is Much Closer Than Antibody Tests Suggest, Say 2 New Studies

----------------------------------

86311598.jpg

----------------------------
Treatment with Hydroxychloroquine Cut Death Rate Significantly in COVID-19 Patients, Henry Ford Health System Study Shows

Last edited:
Tranquility,
Reactions: Planck

Tranquility

Soon, the epidemic will be over.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html
Under "Mortality":
Based on death certificate data, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia, influenza or COVID-19 (PIC) decreased from 9.0% during week 25 to 5.9% during week 26, representing the tenth week of a declining percentage of deaths due to PIC. The percentage is currently at the epidemic threshold but will likely change as more death certificates are processed, particularly for recent weeks.

A technical explanation:
COVID-19 is close to losing its epidemic status in the U.S., according to the CDC
The CDC qualifies a disease outbreak as an "epidemic" if the number of deaths attributable to the disease exceeds a certain percentage of total deaths per week. That threshold for pneumonia, influenza and COVID-19 fluctuates slightly depending on the time of year, ranging from around 7% at the height of flu season to around 5% during less virulent months.

Tranquility,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Sadly, no reports from the federal government can be trusted or believed because any information provided by them has been corrupted by their wishful thinking and awkward and ineffective attempts to gaslight us all. The message from CDC is similarly corrupted. If you are in a (more) honest state that has its citizens interests in mind than the State becomes the only reliable source, ie. Pritzker in Illinois or Cuomo in New York or Newsom in California. If you are someplace like Florida, Arizona or Texas you are just plainly fucked and are left to whatever news service or local pol you feel may be trusted.

It is a terribly sad state of affairs and I never imagined it could happen here.

Tranquility

Sadly, no reports from the federal government can be trusted or believed because any information provided by them has been corrupted by their wishful thinking and awkward and ineffective attempts to gaslight us all. The message from CDC is similarly corrupted. If you are in a (more) honest state that has its citizens interests in mind than the State becomes the only reliable source, ie. Pritzker in Illinois or Cuomo in New York or Newsom in California. If you are someplace like Florida, Arizona or Texas you are just plainly fucked and are left to whatever news service or local pol you feel may be trusted.

It is a terribly sad state of affairs and I never imagined it could happen here.
Three states that put Corona into their nursing homes? I'm not sure they should be at the top of any list of competence.

States that are doing better have LESS deaths per 100K:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

CDC raw data:
https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

Nursing home fiasco that has caused over 40% of the deaths in the U.S.:
Grim Blame Game Over Virus Deaths in Besieged Nursing Homes

The gaslighting is going to generally be an increase in the amount of deaths from Covid. Hospitals get more compensation for Covid diagnoses. There may not be any relation to the reporting, but, they get more money when Covid is on the certificate.
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/hospital-payments-and-the-covid-19-death-count/

As to the actual death data, I agree with you there is a problem. We don't have to even go to the motivations of people to see that states have different definitions of what a death from Covid is. Some require an actual death by Covid effects, others simply a death with Covid tested, others a death with Covid suspected and still others that apply a Covid death to all without another source. State data is not comparing apples to apples. For fun, using Minnesota's rules on Covid death count (Same as CDC), how was George Floyd's death at the knee of the cop recorded?

Guidance for Certifying Deaths Due to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID–19)

Tranquility

If you believe everything will go back to normal and all this will end once everything is reopened... Raise your hand, now slap yourself with it.
What is "normal"?

At the very least, people's sensitivity has been raised to communicable disease. However, when all the data gets in, we will find they can scare us with the near exact numbers next year and the year after that. It's called colds and flu season and it kills hundreds of thousands every year. Now, I believe it will be called "PIC" in future statistics for Pneumonia, Influenza and Covid. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/purpose-methods.html

There is an almost exactly similar case we should lock down and wear masks because of next year's PIC season potential deaths. Obviously, we won't have as big of a potential of exponential rise to overwhelm hospitals as the risk is won't be "novel" any longer. But the statistics are similar from year to year. LOTS of people are going to die from communicable respiratory disease next winter.

Are we going to wear masks to save them?

Edited to add data:
Excess Deaths Associated with COVID-19
Minnesota Excess Deaths, Part I

9de2c38c72289d500c37c59104afef11a5a1f4348b1ece3c105a767036547e94.png

Last edited:
Tranquility,

ginolicious

This is going to be our lives for a very long time. There is no end in sight. Australia is going into another 6 week lock down to combat a second wave. Just when you think it’s gonna. Poof. Comes back. Even if you get everything in control in your state or province. Out of no where. You get an outbreak. As seen in a hospital in Alberta. It’s always gonna be there. And where it pops up. You don’t know. That’s why you must change your way of living right.

ginolicious,
Reactions: florduh

Tranquility

I could have sworn I read something that herd immunity is not possible for covid and anti bodies only stay for 3 weeks or so?
I wouldn't focus on the time frame but there is no certainty there is any immunity for those who have had the disease. I think most are thinking it is a testing issue, where the tests did not provide a true result, but, there are no studies that say you get immunity from having the disease. Most think there will be shown to be at least a temporary immunity (which is what the 3 weeks is about), but how long that last is still a real question.

They're thinking that there are some similar things out there that have given our innate immune systems some guidance on how to attack the virus (aka T cells) that is the source of reduction in cases even though the population does not have the amount of antibodies that could give rise to "herd immunity".

The models use 80% exposed for herd immunity but they are not specific to a disease. Some are saying 70-73% will give the herd immunity for Covid and others are seeing data that seem to indicate a partial immunity at much, much lower levels. We won't know the exact number until we know. I think Faucci's thoughts on the matter have used the around 70% numbers because he was saying there could be no herd immunity without a good vaccine that everyone takes. "Good" meaning a high percentage get an immune response and "everyone takes" was a higher than 50%.

But, he was just using math. He was taking the percentage of the population with antibodies and suspected immunity and then adding on a 66% good vaccine with 50% usage to bring up the total immune to a number that at 50% was not going to reach the 73%. It was going to take more that have been exposed or a better than 2/3 vaccine or more than 50% usage of that vaccine in the population.

Tranquility,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom