COVID-19 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Steroid found to help prevent deaths of sickest coronavirus patients
A cheap steroid has become the first life-saving treatment in the Covid-19 pandemic, described by scientists as a major breakthrough and raising hopes for the survival of thousands of the most seriously ill.

==================================================================================
Patients with underlying conditions were 12 times as likely to die of covid-19 as otherwise healthy people, CDC finds

People with underlying medical conditions such as heart disease and diabetes were hospitalized six times as often as otherwise healthy individuals infected with the novel coronavirus during the first four months of the pandemic, and they died 12 times as often, according to a federal health report Monday.

Last edited:

Tranquility

I believe that since people are out, they're talking about 4 dimensions of safety. (Really, of risk.)

1. Time: The more time you spend with others, the more risk.
2. Space: The closer you are to others, the more risk.
3. People: The more people you're around, the more risk.
4. Place: Outside is less risk than inside.

In the radio clip I heard on the way in to work, it seems like "People" also includes their actions too. Yelling, singing and other forceful exhalations increase risk. But, in an article I found in trying to confirm the advice I heard before posting (COVID-19: Four dimensions of safety), does not include that factor.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
27b2a66007c5869e3cf45a32576d34a3d860982f2cabfb0a916ec40acd01a879.jpg

ginolicious

This is so weird. Several parts of Ontario are doing stage 2 of reopening. And I see several patios opening. Scary thing is they are not spacing the tables out. People are packing into these patios. Servers aren’t waring gloves or masks. Yet bringing out your pints. I dunno. Very sketchy. Makes me very uncomfortable. No safety measures in place. I won’t be going to any patios at all this year. Just the way they look doesn’t feel safe. The stores have done a better job inside then what the patios are doing.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
If 80% of Americans Wore Masks, COVID-19 Infections Would Plummet, New Study Says

It sounds too good to be true. But a compelling new study and computer model provide fresh evidence for a simple solution to help us emerge from this nightmarish lockdown. The formula? Always social distance in public and, most importantly, wear a mask.

========================================================================

get

=========================================================================

The ultimate covid-19 mystery: Why does it spare some and kill others?

The consumer genetics giants Ancestry.com and 23andMe are getting involved. 23andMe recently released preliminary findings showing that people with Type O blood are 9 to 18 percent less likely to test positive for covid-19 than people with other blood types. The company is still exploring links between blood type and disease severity.

Well, I hope that's true. I'm O-

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

ginolicious

Yeah Florida and Texas are in for a wild time. That’s for sure. People keep thinking it’s gone and not being safe. Still need to continue to be safe. I’ve lifted some restrictions for my household. But damn. Some people really don’t give a fuck.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
The vast majority of the protesters (at least in the pics I have seen) seem to be wearing masks and at least keeping "safety" in mind, and the numbers seem to show that the protests are NOT the source of much of the rising numbers. Cities like New York and Chicago with big marches aren't seeing the rises for example. It really does seem to be stupidity on the part of states with no mask rules and premature openings of businesses and restaurants before numbers actually drop far enough. Marching does add additional risk of course, but not as much as ignorance and politics.
As much as we might want to blame states, however, it is up to us as citizens and neighbors to do the right thing, regardless of what rules the states apply. Just because they may be opening up limited inside table seating, for example, doesn't mean I have to go.

Tranquility

This paper says protests did not spread the virus because more of us stayed home because of the protests. Though the study looks at masks and other social distancing measures, they conclude it was because less of us went out in the days that followed.
BLACK LIVES MATTER PROTESTS, SOCIAL DISTANCING, AND COVID-19

This study uses newly collected data on protests in 315 of the largest U.S. cities to estimate the impacts of mass protests on social distancing and COVID-19 case growth. Event-study analyses provide strong evidence that net stay-at-home behavior increased following protest onset, consistent with the hypothesis that non-protesters’ behavior was substantially affected by urban protests. This effect was not fully explained by the imposition of city curfews. Estimated effects were generally larger for persistent protests and those accompanied by media reports of violence. Furthermore, we find no evidence that urban protests reignited COVID-19 case growth during the more than two and a half weeks following protest onset. We conclude that predictions of broad negative public health consequences of Black Lives Matter protests were far too narrowly conceived.

The Wall Street Journal has an opinion piece that links together jobs and lockdown. A link won't work as they take a day or two to put current articles on the web without a paywall. You'll never guess the relationship between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tranquility,
Reactions: Planck

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
I really hate to say this but I am...a vast majority of this world's population just doesn't give a crap about anything but themselves, meaning, as stated above, the don't give a fuck. It truly saddens me that it is this way, anyways.
If everyone wore masks for a little while, covid would just die out. Studies have shown that it spreads way easier from aerosol than from surface, and surface cleaning isn't difficult. So damn peeps, just cover your face for a while and we can beat this.

Tranquility

I really hate to say this but I am...a vast majority of this world's population just doesn't give a crap about anything but themselves, meaning, as stated above, the don't give a fuck. It truly saddens me that it is this way, anyways.
If everyone wore masks for a little while, covid would just die out. Studies have shown that it spreads way easier from aerosol than from surface, and surface cleaning isn't difficult. So damn peeps, just cover your face for a while and we can beat this.
Covid is going to "die out" whether we use masks or not. That's the way pandemics have always worked. Some might even claim, it has already been beaten.

In Los Angeles, there's an increase in new cases, but hospitalizations are steady and death rates have gone down.
Alarmed by spiking coronavirus numbers? Here's why officials insist they aren't worried

In Georgia, the governor was said to be gambling with people's lives by opening up in April.
But: One epidemiological model predicted shortly after Kemp’s announcement that daily COVID-19 deaths would likely double in Georgia by August.

“The model predicts that the number of COVID-19 deaths per day in Georgia will jump from 32 people dying on May 1 to a projected 63 people dying per day by August 4,” reported WRCB TV.

In fact, the number of daily deaths in the state had already peaked on April 16 at 57 and has been steadily declining ever since. The state recorded a total of 37 deaths all last week, and zero on Sunday.

The same trend is happening nationally, which has seen the growth rate in the total number of cases steadily outstrip the growth in COVID-19 deaths for many weeks now.

So far this month, in fact, the number of new cases on June 21 was 16% higher than on June 1, but the daily number of deaths was 63% lower.

One writer weaves a tale at
The blind continuing panic over COVID-19 | Behind The Black

The lethality of the virus is going down.
covid200622.jpg

The pattern is the same the world over--no matter the distancing protocols.
Top Israeli prof claims simple stats show virus plays itself out after 70 days

The death rate in the general population seems the same, maybe a bit less, than other years.

There is no longer any emergency we have to take special precautions for. The protests proved that. I would have thought some here looking to keep fear alive would have grabbed on to the paper I posted as a possible reason why we didn't see the problems we would have expected with so many doing acts almost designed to transmit the virus.

Now, how about next year? Next year we're going to have the "colds and flu" season again; just as we have had since forever. Shall we all wear masks? Shall we all social distance? Should we shut down again? We will have the same population age in the same way and we will get the same (Or, about the same.) amount of deaths from various other corona and flu viruses. I assess about the same level of risk between wearing a mask in this Covid-heightened time of fear as wearing a mask in a normal colds and flu season. I understand that some have such a desire for safety the new normal is that masks are mandatory always. I have a generally greater fear of disease and have always kept sanitizer in my car and pocket. The office was supplied from my personal stash that I have not repurchased yet. Believe me, I don't like getting sick and go through all the steps to keep from getting so. I get the flu shot every year and there is not a vaccine that's recommended I don't take. I HATE getting sick.

However, disease is a part of our lives. Viruses and bacteria are all around us. If we were to be serious of preventing disease, wearing masks might be a part of an overall strategy of life adjustments to prevent transmission as much as possible. If there's a vote as to if we need to wear a mask all the time, I might vote yes. Not because of any special risk now, but because of the risk of disease we always have.

Tranquility,

Morty

The consumer genetics giants Ancestry.com and 23andMe are getting involved. 23andMe recently released preliminary findings showing that people with Type O blood are 9 to 18 percent less likely to test positive for covid-19 than people with other blood types. The company is still exploring links between blood type and disease severity.

Well, I hope that's true. I'm O-
Me too! :rockon:

I just hope we don't need some type of blood transfusion anytime soon. I hear it's getting low. Esp our type. :uhoh:

Morty,
Reactions: macbill
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom