COVID-19 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
OK, but, usually I'm alone ^^^^^^
Farmworkers face coronavirus disaster

From Oregon to North Carolina, counties with the highest per capita rates of coronavirus are some of the top producers of crops like lettuce, sweet potatoes and apples. In California, six out of seven of the state’s most Covid-ridden counties, per capita, are in the Central Valley, which produces the lion’s share of America’s fruits and vegetables.

macbill,
Reactions: florduh

Tranquility

0_Newsflash-ProstitutesCovid19-01.jpg

florduh

Coronavirus Tests Are Supposed to Be Free. The Surprise Bills Come Anyway.
Congress sought to ensure that patients would not face costs connected to the virus. But rules are not always being followed.

Sarah Goldstone got a coronavirus test in Massachusetts after her health insurer said it was “waiving cost sharing for Covid-19 testing-related visits.”

Amanda Bowes, a health policy analyst in Maryland, got hers because she knew a new federal law should make coronavirus testing free for insured patients like her. Kelly Daisley had one after seeing New York City’s ads offering free tests. “Do it for them,” says one bus shelter ad near her home, showing a happy family.

All three were surprised when their health insurers said that they were responsible for a significant chunk of their bills — in Ms. Daisley’s case, as much as $2,718.

“I had seen so many commercials saying there is testing everywhere, it’s free, you don’t need insurance,” said Ms. Daisley, 47, who was tested at an urgent care center three blocks from her Brooklyn apartment. “If I had to pay it off, it would clear out my savings.”

florduh

With Washington silent, states are torn between saving bars and stopping coronavirus

With America struggling to get the coronavirus under control and Washington deadlocked over new relief measures, states face a difficult choice: open the businesses most likely to spread the coronavirus, especially bars and restaurants, or keep them closed and risk a wave of bankruptcies.

Public health officials, including Drs. Anthony Fauci and Deborah Birx, have blamed indoor dining, drinking and social events for seeding summer outbreaks. Because the virus is transmitted mainly by airborne droplets, places like bars — where people may be packed closely together, speaking loudly and often feeling less inhibited — are at particular risk of spreading infection.

Arizona, which had a big spike in the number of infections this summer, shuttered bars and nightclubs in June, a move credited, along with increased mask usage, with helping bring things back under control. In late August, Iowa partly closed down bars in six counties in response to a major spike in the number of cases among young adults.

Many public health experts have called for continuing restrictions on bars, indoor dining, gyms, theaters and other enclosed spaces — either by closing them or by sharply limiting attendance — to further curb the rate of infection and to prioritize reopening K-12 schools. But doing so could drive thousands of such establishments out of business for good.

Gunky

With Washington silent, states are torn between saving bars and stopping coronavirus

With America struggling to get the coronavirus under control and Washington deadlocked over new relief measures, states face a difficult choice: open the businesses most likely to spread the coronavirus, especially bars and restaurants, or keep them closed and risk a wave of bankruptcies.

Public health officials, including Drs. Anthony Fauci and Deborah Birx, have blamed indoor dining, drinking and social events for seeding summer outbreaks. Because the virus is transmitted mainly by airborne droplets, places like bars — where people may be packed closely together, speaking loudly and often feeling less inhibited — are at particular risk of spreading infection.

Arizona, which had a big spike in the number of infections this summer, shuttered bars and nightclubs in June, a move credited, along with increased mask usage, with helping bring things back under control. In late August, Iowa partly closed down bars in six counties in response to a major spike in the number of cases among young adults.

Many public health experts have called for continuing restrictions on bars, indoor dining, gyms, theaters and other enclosed spaces — either by closing them or by sharply limiting attendance — to further curb the rate of infection and to prioritize reopening K-12 schools. But doing so could drive thousands of such establishments out of business for good.
If the repubs would go along with the more generous virus aid package the dems are pushing, some of those bars and restaurants that are now about to go under might stay afloat, and some of their erstwhile employees might actually be available to work once it's safe. But no, they got their tax cuts for billionaires and their troglodyte judges, the stock market is riding high - they got theirs so the rest of us can just go piss off and make do somehow.

And meanwhile Mitch McConnell pulls out the same hoary old trick: why don't we just do these things and then we can have a separate bill for those? How many times do you think you can pull the football away just as somebody is about to kick it?

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
If the repubs would go along with the more generous virus aid package the dems are pushing, some of those bars and restaurants that are now about to go under might stay afloat, and some of their erstwhile employees might actually be available to work once it's safe. But no, they got their tax cuts for billionaires and their troglodyte judges, the stock market is riding high - they got theirs so the rest of us can just go piss off and make do somehow.
Perhaps instead of crying for others to do for you you should do for self.
👌

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally May Have Caused Over 250,000 Coronavirus Cases

The rally was officially linked to hundreds of coronavirus cases across more than 10 states and at least one death. But the study that relied on cell phone data to track movements estimates that over 250,000 reported coronavirus cases from August 2 to September 2 are due to the rally – nearly 20% of the national cases during that time period, according to Andrew Friedson, one of the authors of the report.

Probably a mistake even dipping my toe in this thread lol, but linking Sturgis to 20% of the nations Corona cases is laughable. Nevermind the protests and riots that are sweeping the country for various issues, that doesnt spread coronavirus, but put a bunch of people on harleys together, and there you go, responsible for 20% of the cases!

Taking the high road..
Yea she's high alright.

Ah, the pinnacle of elitism. Dont forget the rules dont apply to her.

Gunky

Perhaps instead of crying for others to do for you you should do for self.
👌
Really? You want waiters and waitresses to do for self? How? Open lemonade stands? This is a fucking economic catastrophe and the party in power is twiddling its thumbs while it burns. This is not a handout. Some industries will die. How come the biggest ones get bailed out but the little guy, fuck him? They just gave a trillion dollars to the top of the top. But now their generosity runs out when it comes to the mom and pop operation. And the stupidest thing is: if the whole ship goes down they go down with it. The unemployment right now is worse than the 8 years of the G. W. Bush recession, and that was bad. And once again these fools delay and propose half-measures. A lot of people in this country, children, do not have enough to eat! Is this a big enough problem for you? Do you want them to grow food for themselves, starting now? May get a little thin waiting for those crops to come in.

Huge numbers of families are about to lose their homes or be evicted. But after four years of wonderful welfare for the wealthy, well those newly homeless people will just have to "do for self". Uh huh.

You know the right is fond of suggesting this is a Christian country. It isn't but that notwithstanding, what of their Christianity now that their neighbors lack for food and homes? Tell them to "do for self"? I have read the new Testament and I am not sure that's what it says.

Last edited:

Tranquility

The issue is the states. Democrats want Covid money to include fixing their pension problems while Republicans want to keep it focused on Covid. The Democrats refuse a short-term bill that will extend current law during negotiations. Restaurants, bars and the waiters and waitresses are not as important to the Democrats as GOVERNMENT WORKERS AND RETIREES.

The Democrats are playing power politics with the hope they're not going to let a good crisis go to waste in order to get general political changes not related to Covid they otherwise couldn't get based on votes.

I'm a strict believer in that it takes two to Tango so KNOW there are games on the Republican side as well. But, they're not as fucking obvious about how little they care about people. Trump wanted them to stay in town and WORK on getting the issue handled, Nancy decided going back to San Francisco and illegally not wear a mask and illegally violate her nephew's demands of everyone else was more important so went into recess.

Tranquility,
  • Haha
Reactions: flammy

florduh

I'm a strict believer in that it takes two to Tango so KNOW there are games on the Republican side as well. But, they're not as fucking obvious about how little they care about people. Trump wanted them to stay in town and WORK on getting the issue handled, Nancy decided going back to San Francisco and illegally not wear a mask and illegally violate her nephew's demands of everyone else was more important so went into recess.

This is partisan nonsense. You know how I know it's nonsense? The Senate never passed a second coronavirus bill. You say the House Bill sucked. Ok. But they actually passed something. The Senate couldn't pass shit. In some alternative reality where the Senate actually passed a coronavirus bill that "corrected" all the issues with the House Bill, your comment wouldn't be nonsense. In this reality, it is.

Also this talking point about bailouts for State and local governments being about PENSIONS needs to die. There was bailout money in the House bill for State and Local governments because tax revenue for States and municipalities cratered this year. And expenses increased. Because there's a pandemic. Local governments don't have the same ability to "borrow" as the Feds.

Take my own Red State as an example. We rely on money from tourist taxes to survive. We currently have very few tourists (traffic is still great!). How are local counties and cities that rely on tourist tax revenue going to "keep the lights on"? Keep in mind that a wave of munincipality bankruptcies would be fairly wretched for the greater economy.

You say the Demonrat House just wants to save local and State pensions? Cool. I say the Republican Senate wants to DEFUND THE POLICE by letting local governments fall into insolvency.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Really? You want waiters and waitresses to do for self? How? Open lemonade stands? This is a fucking economic catastrophe and the party in power is twiddling its thumbs while it burns. This is not a handout. Some industries will die. How come the biggest ones get bailed out but the little guy, fuck him? They just gave a trillion dollars to the top of the top. But now their generosity runs out when it comes to the mom and pop operation. And the stupidest thing is: if the whole ship goes down they go down with it. The unemployment right now is worse than the 8 years of the G. W. Bush recession, and that was bad. And once again these fools delay and propose half-measures. A lot of people in this country, children, do not have enough to eat! Is this a big enough problem for you? Do you want them to grow food for themselves, starting now? May get a little thin waiting for those crops to come in.

Huge numbers of families are about to lose their homes or be evicted. But after four years of wonderful welfare for the wealthy, well those newly homeless people will just have to "do for self". Uh huh.

You know the right is fond of suggesting this is a Christian country. It isn't but that notwithstanding, what of their Christianity now that their neighbors lack for food and homes? Tell them to "do for self"? I have read the new Testament and I am not sure that's what it says.
You choose to be the victim in this scenario.
You choose to be a waiter,bartender or bum.
Your choice is yours alone quit trying to do for others when you cannot handle your own affairs.
Nice straw man scenarios where the poor,poor,under privileged are unable to do for themselves and need YOU to speak for them.
😂

Gunky

Your choice is yours alone quit trying to do for others when you cannot handle your own affairs.
Nice straw man scenarios where the poor,poor,under privileged are unable to do for themselves and need YOU to speak for them.
😂
So says the resolute, self-reliant individualist who lives in a state that receives $1.38 for every tax dollar they turn over to the federal government. All those other (nasty blue) states subsidize you, build your roads, pay for your parks, much of the underpinning of the society where you are privileged to "do for yourself". 😂

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Mod Note: No personal attacks. Let's try to keep this discussion civil. Thank you.

macbill,

florduh

:lol:

I can't really tell if this is parody. If it's not... Ok. Someone chose to be a bartender or waiter. Those things aren't equivalent to being a "bum". Many made very decent livings working at restaurants and bars in the Before Times. In Floriduh, they were about the highest paid jobs in most places. Not like we're a manufacturing base down here. The service sector is our economy. That's actually the case across most of this country.

And no. Bartenders and waiters didn't "choose" to be a "victim". They had decent jobs in January. Their government completely bungled the pandemic response. Now their places of employment are either closed completely, or open with far less traffic than before. Neither case is something that bartender "chose".

But if you aren't joking, I doubt you give a fuck about working stiffs. What about all the people who poured everything into opening a bar or brewery over years or decades? "LOL guess you shouldn't have CHOSE to open a bar". That's a childish response. We have the ability to keep these small businesses from getting wiped out. We have the ability to keep bartenders from starving.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Florida..........grew up dirt ass poor on st.petersburgs southside.
We weren't allowed to sit at the diner in Webb's but were good enough to do the cooking and cleaning.
Malcolm X said it best regards Democratic liberals being racists who will genocide our people.........see planned parenthood.
You make a lot of assumptions about people.
I have been a bartender,waiter,dishwasher,laborer and poor as fuck........all because of my or my parents choices.
Covid-19 has a less than 1% mortality rate.
You choose to live in fear and expect to be financially supported by others.

Gunky

Bars aren't closed or half empty because any bartender or bar owner "made bad choices". That's the part you aren't understanding.
I think his individualism is more thorough-going than that. He's saying you are on your own, period, full stop. If you have any misfortune it's your own fault or it's your own fault for being so impecunious as to have difficulty withstanding a misfortune you didn't cause, etc. Mayor, waiter, barber, banker - he doesn't give a shit t(hough you don't hear much objection from him about the rich getting bailed out). He got his, so fuck everybody else, not his subsidized problem.

Do as nasty onto others as I once had done onto me.

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
Bars aren't closed or half empty because any bartender or bar owner "made bad choices". That's the part you aren't understanding.
I understand that after being unemployed for more than a month my ass is homeless.
Therefore much like after every other of life's big fuckings I need to make some money.
I can sit at home and cry about how unfair it is and scream for others to fix it for me or........do something about it myself.
That is what you don't seem to understand.

florduh

I understand that after being unemployed for more than a month my ass is homeless.
Therefore much like after every other of life's big fuckings I need to make some money.
I can sit at home and cry about how unfair it is and scream for others to fix it for me or........do something about it myself.
That is what you don't seem to understand.

Yeah, I understand that just fine. That's a good attitude to have in your personal life. It also has nothing to do with a discussion of what our government should do on a population level, to help solve a problem they helped create. Especially when there's currently millions more people looking for work than there are available jobs.

Something like half of the the last multi trillion dollar bailout went to corporations. Notice that the government's response to them is never "LOL, I guess you shouldn't have started a multinational corporation! Suck it up!". Bar owners are right to be a little pissed right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom