COVID-19 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

florduh

70 percent of new coronavirus cases are coming from red states

Red states in the U.S. are officially at the forefront of COVID-19 outbreaks, with 70 percent of new cases stemming from the nation's Republican-led areas.

Still, many new COVID-19 cases are emerging in blue counties, while the majority of cases are concentrated in states that voted for President Trump in the 2016 election, The Washington Post reported.

Hopefully rumors that the President's son-in-law, who for some reason was in charge of such things, decided to scrap plans for a national testing program back in April because COVID was mostly ravaging "Blue" States are untrue. Otherwise he looks like a schmuck right now.

florduh,

Gunky

Hopefully rumors that the President's son-in-law, who for some reason was in charge of such things, decided to scrap plans for a national testing program back in April because COVID was mostly ravaging "Blue" States are untrue. Otherwise he looks like a schmuck right now.
Some of these more rural areas that are now seeing spread are very under-served for hospitals, equipment, doctors, nurses, staff... There are going to be some more preventable tragedies now, largely because of the chaos at the federal level.

florduh

Covid-19 has killed more law enforcement officers this year than all other causes combined
That's according to the Officer Down Memorial Page (ODMP), a nonprofit organization that tracks law enforcement fatalities in the line of duty.

At least 101 officers have died from Covid-19, while at least 82 have died by other means, as of Thursday, according to ODMP.

The organization is working to verify an additional some 150 officers who are presumed to have died after becoming infected on duty, said communications director Jessica Rushing wrote in an email to CNN.

Gunfire is the second-highest cause of death, which has killed at least 31 officers this year, according to ODMP.

Tranquility

Covid-19 has killed more law enforcement officers this year than all other causes combined
That's according to the Officer Down Memorial Page (ODMP), a nonprofit organization that tracks law enforcement fatalities in the line of duty.

At least 101 officers have died from Covid-19, while at least 82 have died by other means, as of Thursday, according to ODMP.

The organization is working to verify an additional some 150 officers who are presumed to have died after becoming infected on duty, said communications director Jessica Rushing wrote in an email to CNN.

Gunfire is the second-highest cause of death, which has killed at least 31 officers this year, according to ODMP.
I tried to get the underlying data as automobile accidents used to be far worse than shootings, but, the ODMP seems to not want to give up that information easily. While I'm sure whatever measure they use is defensible in some way, a LOT of cops die of heart attacks each year and many states "presume" as a matter of law cardiovascular events are service related.

For the police departments still on the lookout for the killer, we have a mugshot:
Creepy images show airway cells teeming with SARS-CoV-2

SLDrCjhEGJQR8mSQFu3FpS-650-80.jpg.webp

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member

Gunky

o-TRUMP-CNN-DEBATE-facebook-1500x750.jpg

What? You mean to say you don't trust this guy implicitly to rush a vaccine to the market safely and keep politics completely out of it? Come on! Has he ever lied to you? Or downplayed the views of the experts while promoting his own opinion or whim? Or taken risks with public health to further his re-election?

Last edited:

Tranquility

It's funny when disinformation campaigns are planned. When the confusion comes, no one knows why.
Technology once used to combat ISIS propaganda is enlisted by Democratic group to counter Trump’s coronavirus messaging

A new Democratic-aligned political action committee advised by retired Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the former head of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, is planning to deploy technology originally developed to counter Islamic State propaganda in service of a domestic political goal — to combat online efforts to promote President Trump’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

The group, Defeat Disinfo, will use artificial intelligence and network analysis to map discussion of the president’s claims on social media. It will seek to intervene by identifying the most popular counter-narratives and boosting them through a network of more than 3.4 million influencers across the country — in some cases paying users with large followings to take sides against the president.
The initiative reflects fears within the Democratic Party that Trump’s unwavering digital army may help sustain him through the pandemic, as it has through past controversies, even as the economy craters, tens of thousands have died, and Trump suffers in the polls....

Edit:
Bad boys, bad boys, what you gonna do; what you gonna do when they come for...your BBQ.
Coronavirus enforcement teams ready to strike illegal Labor Day parties, Charlie Baker administration says

I wonder what the strike team's challenge coin will say? Anything like the LAPD's for the protests?
32461078-8670623-image-m-28_1598541244999.jpg

Last edited:
Tranquility,

Gunky

Two-thirds of Americans say they won't get COVID-19 vaccine when it's first available, USA TODAY/ Suffolk Poll shows

Two-thirds of U.S. voters say they won't try to get a coronavirus vaccine as soon as it becomes available and one in four say they don't want to get it ever, according to a new USA TODAY/Suffolk poll released the same week that the number of COVID-19 cases surpassed 6 million.
If they ever want to get significant participation in a vaccine, Trump, his son-in-law, Pence, and all the politicos must step back completely from the process and let the scientists and medical experts not only make all the announcements, but take charge of the effort. At this moment I am not sure I would take a vaccine... They have fucked up every phase of the virus response so far; what would lead you to believe they won't screw this up too?

Tranquility

If they ever want to get significant participation in a vaccine, Trump, his son-in-law, Pence, and all the politicos must step back completely from the process and let the scientists and medical experts not only make all the announcements, but take charge of the effort. At this moment I am not sure I would take a vaccine... They have fucked up every phase of the virus response so far; what would lead you to believe they won't screw this up too?
Consider this, is it a screw up if those who don't like the president don't take the vaccine?

Conspiratorial minds want to know.

Tranquility,

Gunky

Back in January he told us Xi Jinping has very good control of the covid situation and everything will turn out fine and this does not pose a danger to the United States. We now know that his intelligence services told him something completely different and when cornered on the discrepancy told us he has to be a cheerleader. Uh huh more like he didn't want to spook the markets. Then he told us don't worry the whole thing will blow over once the weather warms up. His experts were telling him no such thing; that was suggested to him by Xi Jinping. Then he told us only 15 cases, soon down to zero and his never-right underling Larry Kudlow assured us they had the country sealed off. It's what - 6 million cases and counting now? Then he resisted mask wearing and promoted bullshit cures like hydroxychloroquine and bleach. Then his CDC fucked up the main test but he took no responsibility. Then he refused to mount a federal response at all and declared the response up to the governors. Then he resisted shutting down and encouraged armed demonstrators to force states back open. Then he insisted on opening up too soon. Then he told his people to "slow the testing down." Then he insisted on opening schools too soon. Then he held mass rallies in places with hot outbreaks. Then his administration began jiggering statistics to make their disastrous response look better. Then they began discouraging tests of people who were exposed but show no symptoms in order to make case statistics appear lower... The list goes on. At every single motherhunching stage of the operation for the last 8 months, these guys have fucked up. Other countries are opening up and blocking us from going there with our contagion! Now having disastrously rushed everything else and completely wrecked any credibility they might have had to begin with, they come to us with 'warp speed' vaccine development and tell us to prepare for a shot next month! Yeah right.

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Sure, I'll take the vaccine as soon as it is released to the public. As long as it has been developed and tested in Europe. Or almost anywhere other than the US, Russia or China. One created HERE under the thumb of The Fuckup in chief and his corrupted CDC and FDA? Not on your life. Certainly not on mine.
-------
I thought I would add that my refusal to join the early adopters of an American vaccine is predicated on the Frankenstein efforts of this administration, and Russia for that matter. If, on the other hand, after the career scientists are back in charge of the process after the administration has changed hands, and a properly controlled study leads to a vaccine sometime in the early spring or summer, I could well be persuaded to participate. It is not a vaccine I resist, it is a bad or rushed or improperly investigated one that I won't cooperate with. This is science, not politics, and never the twain should meet.

Last edited:

Tranquility

Back in January he told us Xi Jinping has very good control of the covid situation and everything will turn out fine and this does not pose a danger to the United States.
Back in January Faucci told Trump Xi had very good control over the Covid situation and everything will turn out fine and this does not pose a danger to the United States. The expert. Science!

" If you put all these things together, I underscore what Bob said: We still have a low risk to the American public, but we want to keep it at a low risk. And because there are so many unknowns here, we’re going to take the action that the Secretary will describe, in a temporary way, to make sure we mitigate, as best as we possibly can, this risk. Thank you. "

We now know that his intelligence services told him something completely different and when cornered on the discrepancy told us he has to be a cheerleader.
What the intelligence services feel a disease risk is is more important than the disease experts? Beyond a claim it is a weaponized or intentionally released act of war, it seems the disease experts should be the ones to follow. As to "cheerleader", can you flesh that out a bit? Are optimistic people "cheeerleaders" or does there have to be some other issue involved?

The conspiratorial nonsense is similar to the other far-left claims of error. We were just about in a trade war with Xi and now Trump's supposed to be his best buddy in order to increase harm to the U.S. Right. There were lots of claims from lots of people and this attempt to rewrite history (like the most obvious example above) isn't really worth my time until there are some specifics to the wild claims. (Quotes, citations of when, stuff like that.)

For the vaccine, I'm not camping out waiting to be first in line. And, I'm a vaccine guy. I get all that are recommended. But, it is not going to be my choice at all. They will accentuate the need for health care providers and first responders to get the shot and then extend to the most vulnerable populations where many are in close contact for long periods indoors. (Prisons, nursing homes, poultry workers) Then it will be more generally offered with the real question come up, is it right or wrong to market the thing to other vulnerable populations?

We see there may be a relationship between race and effect of the virus that may or may not be related to economics. (There are competing studies as to if there is disparity at all.) Should a special effort be made to get the vaccine into the black community that may be disproportionately affected? Is that a reasonable step the public health professionals should recommend or is it a racist way to kill more black Americans?

In any event, we're probably a few months of other priorities before 'ol Gunk even gets a chance to drink from that sweet, sweet nectar of Covid vaccine so I'm not too worried about marketing to him at this time. Maybe, if we find we're not already at an extinguishing pandemic, we will need his cooperation in taking one for the team to help us get to the mathematical place of herd immunity. At that time, I hope Snoop is used more than Jared.

Tranquility,

florduh

A Doctor Went to His Own Employer for a COVID-19 Antibody Test. It Cost $10,984.
Physicians Premier ER charged Dr. Zachary Sussman’s insurance $10,984 for his COVID-19 antibody test even though Sussman worked for the chain and knows the testing materials only cost about $8. Even more surprising: The insurer paid in full.

When Dr. Zachary Sussman went to Physicians Premier ER in Austin for a COVID-19 antibody test, he assumed he would get a freebie because he was a doctor for the chain. Instead, the free-standing emergency room charged his insurance company an astonishing $10,984 for the visit — and got paid every penny, with no pushback.

The bill left him so dismayed he quit his job. And now, after ProPublica’s questions, the parent company of his insurer said the case is being investigated and could lead to repayment or a referral to law enforcement.

The case is the latest to show how providers have sometimes charged exorbitant prices for visits for simple and inexpensive COVID-19 tests. ProPublica recently reported how a $175 COVID-19 test resulted in charges of $2,479 at a different free-standing ER in Texas. In that situation, the health plan said the payment for the visit would be reduced and the facility said the family would not receive a bill. In Sussman’s case, the insurer paid it all. But those dollars come from people who pay insurance premiums, and health experts say high prices are a major reason why Americans pay so much for health care.

Tranquility

Such financial encouragements are in all the data as well. I hope we do better on incentives next pandemic.

Tranquility,

Tranquility

because, who ya gonna believe?
Drug companies issue rare joint pledge on vaccine safety amid political fears

Nine pharmaceutical companies on Tuesday issued a rare joint pledge seeking to reassure the public about the safety and efficacy of their potential vaccines for coronavirus.
Ah, "Drug companies". The most trustworthy people in America!

The promise:
The companies pledged they would “only submit for approval or emergency use authorization after demonstrating safety and efficacy through a Phase 3 clinical study that is designed and conducted to meet requirements of expert regulatory authorities such as FDA.”

The reality:
I wonder what "through" means.

Tranquility,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Sturgis Motorcycle Rally May Have Caused Over 250,000 Coronavirus Cases

The rally was officially linked to hundreds of coronavirus cases across more than 10 states and at least one death. But the study that relied on cell phone data to track movements estimates that over 250,000 reported coronavirus cases from August 2 to September 2 are due to the rally – nearly 20% of the national cases during that time period, according to Andrew Friedson, one of the authors of the report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom