Cosmic Xtractor

vapviking

Old & In the Way
It's been a pleasure reading this thread and about your path.
Thanks for directing me here after some discussion in the Splinter thread.

I have been asked to clarify that I am not offering any of these devices for sale on this platform. I do not have a commercial account here and am not interested in converting to a commercial account. This post serves as a build diary

One initial comment about your statement here; It's fine that you do not want to be "commercial" here on FC, but I would have appreciated some head's up in your visible credential that you are a maker or some such thing (there is a degree of 'promotion' inherent in this thread, though I do understand you to be righteous, honest and quite focused on your mission, and promotion is not your intent). I don't know all the 'possible' descriptors for use here, but some indication to the forum would be appropriate, imo. Not a particular big deal...

Bravo! I really, really do applaud your efforts! on several levels. I'm a retired woodworker, so there's that - I love seeing someone get into it, my relationship with wood and trees runs very deep. I guess on this note I will add a word of caution about "exotics" - and some not-so-exotics. Some will release toxins (or allergens) under certain conditions, these range from shop safety (fine airborne particles) to product safety/liabilities and shit -- for which you may be later held responsible. Apologies for these negative thoughts, but I'm old, seen a lot of weird shit go down...

So, there is on one hand the imperative for clean airpath and vapor path, but you are indeed testing for the 'taste' of the wood in your trials...could these two things be at odds?

Over decades my attitude has formed into one that leans toward woods that come from nearer to my own geography, these speak to me in ways the exotics don't. Comfort, like mac n cheese rather than caviar?

I've not seen so much here about the side-by-side mount, which was my initial inquiry. Are you 3d printing or otherwise making those? Or, where are they from?

I know zero about entexchange, but may have to learn. What else is new?...sigh.

FearAndLawyering

ty.

i may be over thinking it but my main concern with being a commercial account is there’s a rule about being 100% positive in threads for other products. this is a side project for me, it will never become full time and i do not want to lose the ability to criticize other products - i consider myself a fan and a critic before being a maker or a company. even the products (especially?) i like i still want to be able to speak critical and objective about without worrying about my status in the forum.

wood concerns - definitely. what i’ve looked into though, it seems the concern is mainly when working it and they should be ok in use. no glass options are a customer request and probably not the standard configuration. ironically the exotic woods are easier for me to source and use. i’ve had a couple requests for domestic but mostly the demand is in really interesting looking stuff. i’ve got a piece of black walnut and some maple burl to play around with when i get some time.

bases - those are done by me in house, original design. i’ve been selling them for around a year or so but i mostly promote them in combination of the xtractor.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

4everpushingaboulder

Haven't seen that Futo stand before. I think I might need that since I have a CosmicXtractor and a Shammer coming my way to join the splinter.

Those both look lovely, btw. Can't wait to hear your review (after you've enjoyed your Runt).
It’s been a busy day. By the way that Futo stand comes in about 4 different wood choices too.

edit. By the way. Fear helped me get the TCR working. TCR95, .37ohm at 360 and really enjoying the mahoe.

edit 2 : just a different angle

B63504C3-02E8-497A-904E-A129E7280705.jpeg281D3B3A-D584-4714-8C22-457724D5592F.jpeg

Last edited:

cx714

Unregulated Tendencies

Surprise Saturday delivery and rain all Sunday. 👍

Performance-wise, this thing is a monster. Took the low end of @FearAndLawyering 's recommended settings and tweaked them down to TCR 90 / 340º / 45W / .390 cold-locked ohms but I'm still getting effortless clouds and great flavor. Hits super easy yet super hard.

Can't do the blue mahoe justice, but it's a nice thick stripe, cool and graphical.

Last edited:
Top Bottom