• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Cooling stems for Splinter, Stempod, Tubo, Lil Bud, Mil

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
I really enjoy the Spinter, Tubo Evic, and Stempod type devices. I plan to buy some of the other versions.

The vapor can be warm using the stock stems of some of these items. I like to use glass stems with some type of vapor disruption whithin it to help cool. I don't mind a warm hit but don't like hot ones or glass that burns my lips. I do like to use bongs when with friends but don't like to use them alone. A couple of these are water tools, I don't really consider them bongs. I will sometimes use these without water.

How would you rate the stems you are using? What do you like best?

35b5rh2.jpg

kuzko

I like the DDave cooler(3rd from right) the best for cooling but haven’t tried most of those.

Hope to get an xl8r soon. How do you like that?

That new Milaana cooler(5th from right) is smaller than I thought, I always thought it was as big as the DDave cooler. Might have to check it out...

I like the Stempod stem, it cools really well for such a small mouthpiece. But it doesn’t fit quite tight enough in RBT joints, I have to jimmy-rig it.

The water pieces seem too large to me but I’ve also thought about those wooden Tubo stems. Do the metal inserts really help?

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I use this one, and another similar version with a bent moutpiece. Works nicely. I have narrowed the rim at the top of the gong so the screen can easily stay in place :). I also plan to make one which is bent but also elipse shape where the mouth meets the glass.
qhlfy.jpg
O

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I think they are at that price point because they are dual purpose. The xl8r mouthpieces are also butane vapes.
Well everyone has his reason behind pricing,i give to that that he is a very busy man and his time costs money,but i remember the OG Gn0me was sold for 40-50$ for a set (heater + bowl/mouthpiece) .Minus the labor, production cost of the one i made is about 5-6 euro .

davesmith

Glass Blower
Well everyone has his reason behind pricing,i give to that that he is a very busy man and his time costs money,but i remember the OG Gn0me was sold for 40-50$ for a set (heater + bowl/mouthpiece) .Minus the labor, production cost of the one i made is about 5-6 euro .

Agreed overheads soon add up for businesses but 50 is too much imho

kuzko

Question for the OP, @HughJundys , how would you rate them? Do any of the ones that are smaller than the DDave do as well at cooling?

kuzko,

sickmanfraud

Well, I have used the xl8r and xl8rjr from @RastaBuddhaTao extensively for over 2 months and I find that they both cool the vapor considerably.

Selling for $20 the jr. fits better in many folks budgets or at least their expectations. The jr https://www.rastabuddhatao.com/product-p/rbt-xl8rjr.htm is the first short stem I have been able to tolerate.

I do not want to take anything away from ddave, but IMO the $20 jr cools as well and has the advantages of being "pocketable", more stealth, easier to clean/reclaim the resin, at 19/19 mm the stem fits more vapes without modification, and less fragile.

Ryan gave me a slightly cracked (factory second?) jr before I even knew it existed. I know it sounds corny, but it was love at first "sight"? Ok, love at first use.

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: Easywider

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
I do not want to take anything away from ddave, but IMO the $20 jr cools as well and has the advantages of being "pocketable", more stealth, easier to clean/reclaim the resin, at 19/19 mm the stem fits more vapes without modification, and less fragile.
Stay tuned. New 19/19 pieces in the works. Expecting prototypes of stems/wands this week, coolers a bit farther down the road... :rockon:

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
Well, I have used the xl8r and xl8rjr from @RastaBuddhaTao extensively for over 2 months and I find that they both cool the vapor considerably.

Selling for $20 the jr. fits better in many folks budgets or at least their expectations. The jr https://www.rastabuddhatao.com/product-p/rbt-xl8rjr.htm is the first short stem I have been able to tolerate.

Ryan gave me a slightly cracked (factory second?) jr before I even knew it existed. I know it sounds corny, but it was love at first "sight"? Ok, love at first use.

Just goes to show you how different everyone's opinions are. Of the stems I've posted in this thread (and excluding the F-Bomb and Water Scepter) the DDave stem, third one from right, cools the best. It is not close. I have used all of the pictured stems many times. When they get used it is with basket loads at the end only AND 2-4 loads sent per sesh back to back. The one I got from Ryan was the second most expensive one pictured. I think it was listed as a prototype and was in the $60 range. All of the stems have been used through the stempod, tubo, and splinter. I think the version of the xl8r I have is ok. Not the best but ok. I do like the way it looks and is definitely better for transport and sharing.
I think the DDave one cools the best but the mouth feel is different. Like a cigar, not a straw like the mouth feel is with several of the others.

My most used? The $8 bent stem from the tubo site (second from the left) along with a fancier but similar constructed unpictured stem. I guess I prefer the bent drink straw type.

I am excited to see the new glass stems people are coming up with for these devices. I need to find a better way to store and transport these One of the above stems is already been broken. Broken by a man that I must now kill.

JCat

Accessory Maker
@davesmith and @Abysmal Vapor .... where can I get one of those spiky stems w/ the 18mm GonG? I would love to get a couple of these as soon as possible :) Really like the XL8RJr one I have but need to use a silicone extension as otherwise it's too hot ...

Grifo

The stock short stem on my splinter works fine. It was a little hot at first but i have gotten used to it now. I bet the xl8r jr would be perfect. I kinda wish there was a version that was only meant as a cooling stem instead of a cooling stem/vaporizer hybrid.

sickmanfraud

Really like the XL8RJr one I have but need to use a silicone extension as otherwise it's too hot ...

Is the vapor too hot or is the stem on your lips?

I found that using an xl8rjr the glass got hot if used on a "cruise control".

I kinda wish there was a version that was only meant as a cooling stem instead of a cooling stem/vaporizer hybrid.

I purchased an xl8r with the Splinter and the Sinter Z.

Currently, I have both sizes of xl8r stems and I never had the intention to use as a vape (not too sure if I could figure it out) but I vape dry 99.44% of the time and I am under the impression that using an xl8r as a vape requires a water piece.

@Grifo if you get your hands on an xl8r of either size and you will be surprised at how the vapor is tolerable even with a short xk8r.

One other thing to remember the xl8r is 19/19 deep and using in a 19/22 or 19/26 bowl you will need to increase the temperature to compensate for the distance between the heat source and the medicine.

davesmith

Glass Blower
Is the vapor too hot or is the stem on your lips?

I found that using an xl8rjr the glass got hot if used on a "cruise control".

I purchased an xl8r with the Splinter and the Sinter Z.

Currently, I have both sizes of xl8r stems and I never had the intention to use as a vape (not too sure if I could figure it out) but I vape dry 99.44% of the time and I am under the impression that using an xl8r as a vape requires a water piece.

@Grifo if you get your hands on an xl8r of either size and you will be surprised at how the vapor is tolerable even with a short xk8r.

One other thing to remember the xl8r is 19/19 deep and using in a 19/22 or 19/26 bowl you will need to increase the temperature to compensate for the distance between the heat source and the medicine.

I cant speak for rbts offerings but during our rnd we decided a minimum of 2cm of un-indented glass before the mouthpiece otherwise the lips did get hot in long sessions.

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
I recently received some more.

I like bent stems best but of the straight versions that clear and yellow dimpled from @davesmith is my favorite. Does a nice job cooling. It is longer than the straight dimpled one I posted earlier.

mtv56t.png

I'll keep collecting and posting more.
As of this date my favorite stem is this one.
With the dimpling and the bend it is one of the better cooling stems. Like all of @davesmith pieces I've been fortunate enough to acquire it is scrumptious to look at and fits perfectly. The diameter of the stem, at the mouth opening, is spot on. Stems that are larger have a less relaxed mouth feel. Stems that are smaller get too hot, at the lips, after a couple of basket loads.

9iajvq.png

Top Bottom