Cooling stems for Splinter, Stempod, Tubo, Lil Bud, Mil

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
$10 minimum anyway - I got 2 little eyedropper bottles of DC cleaner - Definitely a nice find and they look more solid and better-sealing than the e-nano ones.

The tubes are 5.25in long according to the site. My xl8r is just shy of 5in.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Can't find my metric ruler, but I get 4.5 inches on my tape measure. It looks like it could be up to 1/2 inch longer and still fit fine. I would suggest that the 5.25" is an outside measurement and I would take off 1/4" for the rounded bottom.
2vwabfo.jpg

Last edited:

VAPEHUNTER

I have found the perfect solution for my long custom RBT cooling stem. It is a cleaning/accessory tube that came with my HerbalAire. It widens near the opening which allows the extra girth of the joint so it enters tail end first. The stem doesn't rattle or move much in the tube and the hard plastic makes it completely safe and fully smell proof. It's like it was made for this. (OK, maybe a little rattle)
If you own an HerbalAire you likely have at least one of these tubes. They DO sell them on their site and they are not terribly expensive at 4 for $15, but they are perfect. http://www.herbalaire.com/shop-h22.html
2exocxx.jpg

2z5kwo1.jpg

To be honest, if I were making cooling stems for sale I would think seriously about trying to buy these particular tubes in bulk and shipping all my stems in them. It will completely protect them in shipping AND provide an almost perfect carrying tube to extend their longevity. If one felt the need they could always bump their selling price by 2 or 3 bucks.

This is exactly what I have from planet vape. They sell them for $1.99 CAD works great

Yep, that's it. And you only need to buy 2 so WAY cheaper than getting them from HA (sorry guys).
http://www.planetvape.ca/travel-tube.html

$9 shipping (to US) hurts a little but whatayagonnado? ;)

I believe these are often referred to as "Soda bottle preforms" Amazon or E-bay has them for pretty cheap.

LINK:XXXXXXXX
EDIT:Amazon link removed. Thanks for the heads up @cybrguy

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
OK, so here is an important thing about these tubes. They will not work if they don't get wider at the top like the ones from HA, and at least the ones from Amazon DONT DO THIS. The joint will not fit inside these tubes without this widening on the cap end. That is why they only work tip down. It looks like the PV ones do widen.
2exocxx.jpg

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit

Obsessed 2

So being a lab rat, I have the pleasure of seeing vaping applications in my everday surroundings. Stems have become an interest of my since picking up the Lil' Bud, and soon I'll be vaping from an iHeat on a mod.

So cooling stems that have dimples protruding to the inside have taken the idea from Vigereux condesnsation columns used in the lab. What I would really love to see is a coiled pathway within a stout 120mm or so stem, ala Graham Condensation column (see below). How difficult would this be to pull off? Granted they would be fragile, but I am intrigued by the simple idea of increasing the length of the vapor pathway without needeing to extend the overall length of the column. (I have no glass-blowing or manufacturing experience.)

In the second pic, I crossed off input and output for the H20 (or other coolant) pathway. Clearly, without them the stem would have a cleaner profile, but could they actually be functional without creating a disaster? IDK...

Condenser-types-condensor-lab-glass.jpg

Condenser-stem-glass-ent-condensor.jpg

This could be a moot point and these do indeed exist... if that's the case, please share with me :brow:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Cleaning honey out of something like that may be a bitch. Soaking would be the only option. With the amount of cooling we may need/want this would surely be overkill.

That being said it might be cool to watch...

cybrguy,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Cleaning was my first thought as well. And that is a thin coil, so cleaning would have to happen often.
But how cool would it look to see the vapor slither through?

Jill NYC,
Reactions: cybrguy

Obsessed 2

@cybrguy & @Jill NYC , I think I may be biased in that soaking is how I clean my gear. I soak it in 95% ethanol and go from there. But agreed, if this is not the users' cleaning protocol, then yeah, it would be a nightmare.

I like restricted airflows so maybe that is playing a role in my curiosity as well.

Regardless, I find great potential in maximizing airway length in making a compact stem.

For example, and extremely rough spitballing, so bear with me...

I was playing around with 5mm brake-line tubing (spare, worry not). One full circle, or coil measures 66mm in length, unrolled or straigthened out, if that makes sense... quite an improvement, 60mm, over double the vertical length by coiling & stacking.

Now I get the glass model will not be identical to my spitballing brakeline model, but follow me with this if you will...

I could maybe get two full circles or coils in a 25mm vertical length... this translates to 4.8 circles/coils/turns in a 120mm length of stem. 4.8 x 60mm (unrolled length) would mean 288mm of air path bunched up into a short fat stem. Freedom units: 11.33 inches of airpath coiled into a 4.72 inch stem.

I imagine the resultant stem would be super wide as soon as the joint-end is cleared from the vape, then taper back at the mothpiece.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I think I understand your thinking, and I don't doubt it would work. It just seems like overkill to me. I like cooling as well but I tend to do it with water which is mostly at home. Now with the XL8R stem I can get some decent cooling out of the house, but as fragile as the XL8R may be just by being glass, it would still be an order of magnitude less fragile than something like your wrapped glass stem. I would be afraid to take that out...

cybrguy,
Reactions: Bizkat

Obsessed 2

I think I understand your thinking, and I don't doubt it would work. It just seems like overkill to me. I like cooling as well but I tend to do it with water which is mostly at home. Now with the XL8R stem I can get some decent cooling out of the house, but as fragile as the XL8R may be just by being glass, it would still be an order of magnitude less fragile than something like your wrapped glass stem. I would be afraid to take that out...

I agree with the fragility factor. If it were thick thick borosilicate maybe but I haven't a clue with how malleable it is. It would most likely be an at home piece for me too.

A vaporist can dream, no?
:brow:

Last edited:

mixchu69

I agree with the fragility factor. If it were thick thick borosilicate maybe but I haven't a clue with how malleable it is. It would most likely be an at home piece for me too.

I really appreciate you bringing this up. Without innovative ideas (some may work/some may flop), the vaping industry is going to remain stale. Some ideas that may not work can spur other ideas that can change the game. I want to see more innovation in this industry.

Easywider

Simple is the way
Some ideas that may not work can spur other ideas that can change the game. I want to see more innovation in this industry.

So true! Look at the state of portable vapes today. Most of these 510 attachments and I'm sure lots of others can produce so much vapour so quickly that the stem/mouthpiece has literally become the weakest link in all these devices. Cooling stems are awesome, Id say the long XL8R stem works about 85% same efficiency as a water piece. Super cool that this exists but it also looks like a wizard stick on top of an ergonomic nightmare. Something smaller, more compact, more portable could really shake things up.

Obsessed 2

I'm curisous if i get one of those lab-grade Graham columns hot enough if i could squash it like an accordian... haha, wouldnt that be something?

So earlier, someone mentioned the SoCal custom guys. I just may send them an email. Anyone else aware of capable or challenge-seeking stem-makers/glass-blowers/former labware makers/etc? I think it is worth the effort on striking up converstions... any guidance is truly appreciated!

Obsessed 2,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
So being a lab rat, I have the pleasure of seeing vaping applications in my everday surroundings. Stems have become an interest of my since picking up the Lil' Bud, and soon I'll be vaping from an iHeat on a mod.

So cooling stems that have dimples protruding to the inside have taken the idea from Vigereux condesnsation columns used in the lab. What I would really love to see is a coiled pathway within a stout 120mm or so stem, ala Graham Condensation column (see below). How difficult would this be to pull off? Granted they would be fragile, but I am intrigued by the simple idea of increasing the length of the vapor pathway without needeing to extend the overall length of the column. (I have no glass-blowing or manufacturing experience.)

In the second pic, I crossed off input and output for the H20 (or other coolant) pathway. Clearly, without them the stem would have a cleaner profile, but could they actually be functional without creating a disaster? IDK...

This could be a moot point and these do indeed exist... if that's the case, please share with me :brow:

I have a few all glass convection vaporizer designs based off a Graham condenser; withering away in my SolidWorks sketches :science: Never went further with it as I think there are simpler ways to create surface area in a heat exchanger, but I like seeing some of these new cooling stem ideas on the forum. Cooling vapor without it falling out of phase and condensing is a big deal that deserves more talk and research!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

Think about what that piece would weigh made of thick glass.

Obsessed 2

I have a few all glass convection vaporizer designs based off a Graham condenser; withering away in my SolidWorks sketches :science: Never went further with it as I think there are simpler ways to create surface area in a heat exchanger, but I like seeing some of these new cooling stem ideas on the forum. Cooling vapor without it falling out of phase and condensing is a big deal that deserves more talk and research!
This interests me as there is a known direct link of hot temp liquids to esophageal cancer. It is not the substance that is the carcinogen but the exposure of temperature. Interesting, yesterday, a paper was published in the Int Jornal of Cancer pointing a finger at a specific temperature. This is the first time a temp has been indicated. Now, this is all based on tea drinking, but i am okay with the extrapolation to hot air on the esophagus, for me in my mind - others will disagree. So, ideally, we'd keep the vapor in phase but below 140? I havent researched the temperatures that cannabis vapor condensenses as this entire thing has been a typing-diarrhea-of-the-mind excercise really.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer

It is called the "Vapor Tamer" by 7th Floor. The coils are surrounded by glycerin and it can be put in the freezer before use for additional cooling.

Obsessed 2

OMG, @Alan ! In two sentences you have managed to get me giddy and drain my bank account! Tremendous feat my friend! Lol
:tup:
I think I tighter execution is what is called for. There's lots of space between those coils, understandably. It's overall size would prohibit it's use from your iHeat for example.
In my mind of minds I picture a stout piece with a tight coil within. It's purpose would be to simply lengthen the path instead of surrounding the coil with a substance. Half the length of an iHeat would be nice. Again, I realize the tight tolerance I'm calling for but still. I think it is achievable.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I think these really aggressive coolers make a lot more sense for smoke than vapor, but cooling is cooling.

cybrguy,
Reactions: Hogni

Obsessed 2

Got home this evening and doing a quick search on dhgate, found enough to satisfy my curiosity, for now.
20190321-181139.jpg

Will be trying our a few, if I can procure them reasonably. Most, if not all, I came across are modular bongs. I just want the coil. We'll see about cash flow...

Similar searches in AliExpress produced promising results.
20190321-181902.jpg

I'm curious where this leads me...

If for nothing else, it's good to know this area can be expounded upon without reinventing the wheel.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
update re:storage - cc: @Summer @cybrguy

the ebay 2 for $2 tubes I found (used for geocache-ing) came in today. They work perfect actually. They are very rigid, and can be waterproofed if you screw the lid on all the way, thus I assume they're fairly smell-proof. I put a tiny cotton ball at the bottom as usual, and not much rattling.

I will get the cigar tubes if I want something that isn't see-through for the larger XL8R. The large snapstash is 100% perfect for the smaller ones.

Top Bottom