Cool Music to Vape to - Part 2

John Coaltrain

Are you asking if the performance of Coleman is to be preferred over that of Coltrane? I certainly hope not. I get the de gustibus non disputandum est kind of vibe that governs the philosophy of aesthetics, but there's a reason why there's a Church of John Coltrane (literally) and there isn't one of George Coleman.

In Miles' autobiography there are some interesting observations by Tony Williams, Ron Carter, and Herbie Hancock on Coleman's playing – and I tend to agree with them.

Last edited:
John Coaltrain,
Reactions: Bologna

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Just asking which version you prefer overall... nothing more. I worded it as head-to-head, sax vs sax, but didn't mean it that way (of course). More like Coltrane vs Miles... as I believe the definitive version from around this period is ''Four' and More'

Your personal opinion. While I respect those dudes, I'm not all that interested in theirs here... I didn't read the book.

Last edited:
Bologna,

Buzzbomb Almighty

Shaye Cohn's band Tuba Skinny, one of my favourites. Fresh yesterday. I've said it before; she is the Bix Beiderbecke of the 21st century. She comes by it honestly; her dad was in Woody Herman and His Woodchoppers.

Buzzbomb Almighty,
Reactions: Ripstar

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Canadian Rocks...
Indeed.

I happened to catch this at the end of a TPB season last summer after binge-watching (again 🙄) almost their entire output over the course of 2 weeks...

so beautiful... (i cant hardly take it!)

The Tragically Hip - Bobcaygeon (Official HD Video)

I don't know a whole lot about these guys, but based on this one song alone it's a travesty they weren't bigger here.

Gord seemed to be a truly special human.... RIP

Last edited:
Bologna,
  • Love
Reactions: Planck

Planck

believes in Dog
For me the the most tragically underrated Canadian musician is Colin James.
Here he is live at 20/21 years old...
Offical video from first album -1988 yeah they were this good live!
Not positive but I suspect this was his biggest international hit.
A bit later - 1990
And there was the little big band days. 1998

Superb talent, without doubt one of the greatest performers/guitarists I have ever seen.
✌️

Buzzbomb Almighty

Colin got his first job playing bluegrass on his mandolin travelling around Saskatchewan with a van full of drunken puppeteers. It was called Communicart. Then he played in our bar while he was still too young to get a drink. :lol: Later he and Brian Ellis were a blues duo called The Hoodoo Men, and they went to the Holiday Inn in Saskatoon for a gig. The management wanted lounge music of the era (Yellow Ribbon) and not the Delta Blues... so they got fired, the excuse being that their sound system wasn't good enough. He did quite a bit with Big Dave McLean from Winnipeg too (Dave made him get up at a Winnipeg Folk Fest workshop and play with Muddy Waters [Colin was shy and needed prodding]).

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
These guys still kicking the shit out of it during the pandemic!
Love them!

When living in Arizona a few years ago, got to see them up in Mesa. Ordered tickets online and not sure how it happened, but we had the best seats in the building. Front row...center. A very fun night. :nod:

For anyone that doesn't know them...look them up on You tube. They do funny covers of movie themes among other songs...quite talented.:tup:

Buzzbomb Almighty

Love them!

When living in Arizona a few yeWhen living in Arizona a few years ago, got to see them up in Mesa. Ordered tickets online and not sure how it happened, but we had the best seats in the building. Fars ago, got to see them up in Mesa. Ordered tickets online and not sure how it happened, but we had the best seats in the building. Front row...center. A very fun night. :nod:

For anyone that doesn't know them...look them up on You tube. They do funny covers of movie themes among other songs...quite talented.:tup:
I first heard them doing Teenage Dirtbag, and was sold right away. Here's one of our greatest Canadian ambassadors of the ukelele (and cigarbox guitar):

I'm old and I'm on dope, so you can't expect me to remember if I've posted this before, or to give a rat's, really... :lol:

Last edited:

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.

Wes Montgomery - Full House 1962 (full album)​

00:00 Full House
09:14 I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face
12:45 Blue 'n' Boogie
22:27 Cariba
32:09 Come Rain Or Come Shine (take 2)
39:06 Come Rain Or Come Shine (take 1)
46:25 S.O.S. (take 3)
51:30 S.O.S. (take 2)
56:20 Born To Be Blue

Wes Montgomery - guitar
Jimmy Cobb - drums
Johnny Griffin - tenor sax
Paul Chambers - bass
Wynton Kelly - piano

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
A MASTER at his craft:

Adrian Belew - Drive

I was at this very show not more than five miles from my home and I was seated up front no more than 10 feet away....:

Adrian Belew at TCAN
I posted this version as well. not only cuz I saw it live (and to brag) but because I particularly like the Beatles treatment. And cuz the video/sound quality is so much better in the first one..

Top Bottom