• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
100% pure PTFE with very impressive lab results indeed! No brainer, home run!

(EDIT: the only thing is PTFE is really not earth friendly and is not recyclable...)

2clicker

Observer
is it still woven fiber or is it a solid sheet of ptfe?

"Slick Pads" have the woven fibers inside silicone. they have the green edge and come in a few sizes.

"Slick Sheet" on the other hand comes in a roll and is pure PTFE sheeting. its a slightly opaque white color and is microns thin.

i started using the slick sheet when i found out that silicone was not a good match to evap ethanol out of. teflon however is completely safe with ethanol. i know people will say that silicone is fine, but it can change the silicones color and im not good with that. on top of that i emailed all of the slick product companies about evapping ethanol from their silicone products. every one of those MFGs stated they do not recommend the pair. Oil Slick told me that their Slick Sheet is 100% safe with ethanol.

then i realized that the Slick Sheet is also much better for storing than parchment paper.

2clicker,
Reactions: farscaper

farscaper

"Slick Pads" have the woven fibers inside silicone. they have the green edge and come in a few sizes.

"Slick Sheet" on the other hand comes in a roll and is pure PTFE sheeting. its a slightly opaque white color and is microns thin.

i started using the slick sheet when i found out that silicone was not a good match to evap ethanol out of. teflon however is completely safe with ethanol. i know people will say that silicone is fine, but it can change the silicones color and im not good with that. on top of that i emailed all of the slick product companies about evapping ethanol from their silicone products. every one of those MFGs stated they do not recommend the pair. Oil Slick told me that their Slick Sheet is 100% safe with ethanol.

then i realized that the Slick Sheet is also much better for storing than parchment paper.

I know, but when slick sheets first came out they were made of woven ptfe fibers. they had issues with pass through and collection issues due to the pass through (when oil leaked through the fibers to the glass below)

so my question related spacifically to oil slick slick sheet ptfe.

is the newer version of the ptfe still made in a woven style or have they changed to a solid ptfe roll?

I dont even use oil slick pads anymore. abandoned that. parchment has been my go to, but I have to scrape the rex to get it to parchment..... so that is why im curious if oil slick has improved the ptfe rolls.

farscaper,
Reactions: 2clicker

2clicker

Observer
I know, but when slick sheets first came out they were made of woven ptfe fibers. they had issues with pass through and collection issues due to the pass through (when oil leaked through the fibers to the glass below)

so my question related spacifically to oil slick slick sheet ptfe.

is the newer version of the ptfe still made in a woven style or have they changed to a solid ptfe roll?

I dont even use oil slick pads anymore. abandoned that. parchment has been my go to, but I have to scrape the rex to get it to parchment..... so that is why im curious if oil slick has improved the ptfe rolls.

i had no idea that the slick sheet used to be woven. as flkswat says it is now solid and is an amazing product. i use slick sheet for evapping and collection as well as storage. i use slick pads when warming oil to divide it or change the shape of it.

farscaper

I will no doubt be trying the sheets. this improvement is miles above the original design.... I was a very early adopter of slick stuff... but after my own tests and others input here quit using anything but pyrex to blast into (yes bho) but I also do EC evap as well as iso.... when I dont have EC. but I prefer butane for dab oil.... if its edible I care less about the solvent.... although my choice thus far has been everclear.... and butane... capital to be exact.

so ptfe appeals to me... but alas the early version was woven.... im exctited to try out oil slick improvements! maybe re ignite the old oil slick thread!

Last edited:

horst

horsed
I have been promising pictures and a report of a couple of recent qwet runs I have done so here goes.

Awesome results, thanks for sharing.

Encouraged by this I made a minimal QWET-Run with 1g ABV today.
Froze few ml of Ethanol and the ABV for 4 hours,
poured ethanol over ABV fast
put back into freezer for 1 minute and shaked then once, repeat 2 times
poured into metal tea sieve over a cup,
cup extraxt trough paper tea sieve on glass dish

from here i messed it up, guess coffee filters would've been better, but had none on hand so the paper tea sieves let a lot of dust through. Got into time trouble and had to evap faster than expected, took the glass dish on the toaster and fired up. went too quick too hot in the end, i guess a lot of stuff was already vaporized in the process and i was left with a little hot dust crust. I managed to scrape up a tiny oily bit, not scaleable with a 0.01g precise scale. think the same amount was baked too hard onto the dish. It came off with a little soap and water, but smelled like soap so i ditched it.

the product was kind of a very sticky hash ball, vaped it in once and was happy to feel a little bit of effects. Surprisingly the high was exactly the same as the gram eaten. Just punched for half an hour instead of creeping up 4 hours and leaving 4 hours.

I will try another run and hope to not mess it up again, using a coffee filter and letting it evap naturally will surely help. I underestimated the handling of the sticky scrape up totally, need to prepare better next time and try to avoid touching it with my hands. Damn sticky stuff on skin, made me suck my thumb all night. Felt strangely soothing...

Baked55

Just recently did my first ABV QWISO, and the results were great. Was now looking into QWET but haven't been able to find any ethanol or high enough proof alcohol. Was wondering if anyone knew were I could get some in canada for a reasonable price. The highest proof alcohol I could find but guessing that's probably not strong enough? Thanks for any help

Baked55,

2clicker

Observer
Awesome results, thanks for sharing.

Encouraged by this I made a minimal QWET-Run with 1g ABV today.
Froze few ml of Ethanol and the ABV for 4 hours,
poured ethanol over ABV fast
put back into freezer for 1 minute and shaked then once, repeat 2 times
poured into metal tea sieve over a cup,
cup extraxt trough paper tea sieve on glass dish

from here i messed it up, guess coffee filters would've been better, but had none on hand so the paper tea sieves let a lot of dust through. Got into time trouble and had to evap faster than expected, took the glass dish on the toaster and fired up. went too quick too hot in the end, i guess a lot of stuff was already vaporized in the process and i was left with a little hot dust crust. I managed to scrape up a tiny oily bit, not scaleable with a 0.01g precise scale. think the same amount was baked too hard onto the dish. It came off with a little soap and water, but smelled like soap so i ditched it.

the product was kind of a very sticky hash ball, vaped it in once and was happy to feel a little bit of effects. Surprisingly the high was exactly the same as the gram eaten. Just punched for half an hour instead of creeping up 4 hours and leaving 4 hours.

I will try another run and hope to not mess it up again, using a coffee filter and letting it evap naturally will surely help. I underestimated the handling of the sticky scrape up totally, need to prepare better next time and try to avoid touching it with my hands. Damn sticky stuff on skin, made me suck my thumb all night. Felt strangely soothing...

if you are starting with AVB i would suggest using much mor than a g. ABV takes twice, sometimes three times as much, to get anywhere near the return of fresh flowers. ABV oil is good and has a great use, but it wont be the same as oil run from fresh flowers. ABV oil will give you an intense couch lock that will put you to sleep. that is what i use it for. i dont dab ABV oil i mix with ejmix for use in a kanger tank just before bed.

Stiggy

I have been wanting to try the slicksheets for a while but I read a bunch of complaints about the pad breaking down and ruining product with the old version that had the fiberglass weave. I've also seen people rave about it. I'd really like to see someone post up a review of a freshly purchased new version sleetsheet.

1g of AVB is a crazy tiny amount of starting material. If the material was fresh bud you had the potential to get possibly .25g or so. But with vaped bud I wouldn't expect to get more than .1 from 1g and thats seems like a lot of work and some wasted solvent for almost nothing.

Last edited:
Stiggy,

farscaper

I have been wanting to try the slicksheets for a while but I read a bunch of complaints about the pad breaking down and ruining product with the old version that had the fiberglass weave. I've also seen people rave about it. I'd really like to see someone post up a review of a freshly purchased new version sleetsheet.
I think you might have the two confused. although they both had a weave of sorts, the slick PADS had the fiberglass woven in between the slabs of silicone. the slick SHEETS were actually made of woven ptfe fibers.... which kinda worked... but not as well as we had all hoped.

im working out some glass stuff... then I will be trying the new slick sheets, but if @FLskwat endorsed it I have a solid feeling its a winner

farscaper,
Reactions: 2clicker

Stiggy

Not talking about the silicone pads.

Pretty sure when I read the product description a while back it was teflon with the fiberglass weave similar to the pads. Could be wrong though.

I also thought I recall the sheets being much more expensive. Like double what I see now for a roll. Now i see it on amazon for $16.

Stiggy,

Caligula

Maximus
We are talking about the sheeting and not the pads. I have generic craft shop PTFE sheet that I use as a nonsrick work space surface that's easy to clean. It is fiberglass that's coated with PTFE. This is what the OS sheets used to be like but it's now pure PTFE.

Caligula,

farscaper

We are talking about the sheeting and not the pads. I have generic craft shop PTFE sheet that I use as a nonsrick work space surface that's easy to clean. It is fiberglass that's coated with PTFE. This is what the OS sheets used to be like but it's now pure PTFE.
... yea.... they marketed it as being a textile ptfe when it first came out... but I was just reading a description from one of the amazon adds for the sheets.... says its 500% more coating.... so what is coated?

well I suppose its fiberglass then eh?

why is it so hard to see transparency?!
:rofl:

farscaper,
Reactions: Caligula

farscaper

Freezing your buds before doing a (normally) alcohol based wash. It trapped up all the water solubles as ice so you can pull out less plant stuff with your cannabinoids :)
yea, thats not a winterization really.... yes freezing the buds for at least 12 hrs will help trap moisture, but

winterization is a process where the extracted oil is placed into an alcohol typically then that is allowed to freeze so that any fats lipids and residual moistures can be mechanically filtered off with a few filter papers....

thus providing a cleaner product

if you just freeze the buds before you extract you will still end up extracting some fats and waxes and such which will still need further polishing via true winterization. @Mr. Gweilo 420
do not pre decarb you dabbing oil before extraction..... it will ruin the flavor profile and will also cause reduction in yeild most likely.

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
yea, thats not a winterization really.... yes freezing the buds for at least 12 hrs will help trap moisture, but

winterization is a process where the extracted oil is placed into an alcohol typically then that is allowed to freeze so that any fats lipids and residual moistures can be mechanically filtered off with a few filter papers....

thus providing a cleaner product

if you just freeze the buds before you extract you will still end up extracting some fats and waxes and such which will still need further polishing via true winterization. @Mr. Gweilo 420
do not pre decarb you dabbing oil before extraction..... it will ruin the flavor profile and will also cause reduction in yeild most likely.

+100, Perfect explanation all the way @farscaper . I would just add that some people even blast in a pyrex dish or on a sheet with already ethanol in it ('tame will leave faster because of ethanol presence)...we could call this "flash winterization" mixing 2 steps in 1 process...(I have never done it and therefore do not know how efficient it is)

farscaper

+100, Perfect explanation all the way @farscaper . I would just add that some people even blast in a pyrex dish or on a sheet with already ethanol in it ('tame will leave faster because of ethanol presence)...we could call this "flash winterization" mixing 2 steps in 1 process...(I have never done it and therefore do not know how efficient it is)

it will help dissipate the butane in this way, but it will not actually complete a winterization.
to complete the winterization you would still have to freeze it and filter it again.

when its frozen, you can swirl the alcohol and see the waxes dance about. they are sitting on the bottom until disturbed.

I suggest not to disturb to coagulated matter when pouring off your containment vessel into a filter. this will ensure that as much clear wash makes it through the filter as possible before the coagulate starts to collect on it.

Top Bottom