• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

Caligula

Maximus
I did just sell the bkackleaf I had.... hrmmmmmmmmmmmm...

to instagram!

The $200 Ryu is doing on those rigs is for FC members only, so be sure to mention that (in private, I'm sure he doesn't want everyone on IG claiming to be on FC) to him. Otherwise they go for $250

ALSO Ryu confirmed that indeed he started with 18mm and now does 14mm... and that DoubleAA has been blacklisted from their shop.

I'm sorry for ever mentioning that guy to you.

Caligula,

Stiggy

but they are louder than most butane torches.... has to do with the nozzle more than anything... the ts4000 is loud cause the brass nozzle spins the flame with a 5 or 6 fin insert... but the ones that have no insert nozzles usually are quieter... if its a concern.
Thats why I recommend the TS8000 over the TS4000. The TS4000 has no flow control so its always at full blast and noisey as shit. The TS8000 at the low setting I use it at is more quiet than my Rosle creme brulee torch and it does an awesome job heating up my quartz castle quickly. The TS8000 also has a tip with internal fins that spin the flame but when you turn down the flow it really kills the sound. The tip is also removable, but I wouldn't recommend using it without the tip.

FYI, I went to walmart yesterday. A 2 pack of the worthington propane cylinders is $5.24. $2.62 each... 16.4 Oz.. I can't find single cans of 300mls of Butane for that low here...

use propane, mapp gas burns hotter than necessary and imo it stinks more.
Totally agree Mapp or Map-pro definitely stink more. I dunno if they add extra mercaptans to that shit or what.

farscaper

Thats why I recommend the TS8000 over the TS4000. The TS4000 has no flow control so its always at full blast and noisey as shit. The TS8000 at the low setting I use it at is more quiet than my Rosle creme brulee torch and it does an awesome job heating up my quartz castle quickly. The TS8000 also has a tip with internal fins that spin the flame but when you turn down the flow it really kills the sound. The tip is also removable, but I wouldn't recommend using it without the tip.

FYI, I went to walmart yesterday. A 2 pack of the worthington propane cylinders is $5.24. $2.62 each... 16.4 Oz.. I can't find single cans of 300mls of Butane for that low here...
Just because it is removable doesnt mean you should operate it without the brass nozzle..... thats so you can replace it. if one were to use the torch without the nozzle eventually the piezoelectric ignitor would melt down.

farscaper,
Reactions: Caligula

farscaper

I did say I don't recommend it.
caught me sleeping :tup: I didnt see ur edit.

mapp gas is a blended gas dow intended to compete with oxy acetylene but it has a number of shortcomings and is no longer even produced in USA after 2008... and its chock full of mercs!

edit: id like to know if they sell unfinned replacements..... but then I bet the 4000 would have a super long flame!

farscaper,

Stiggy

caught me sleeping :tup: I didnt see ur edit.

mapp gas is a blended gas dow intended to compete with oxy acetylene but it has a number of shortcomings and is no longer even produced in USA after 2008... and its chock full of mercs!

edit: id like to know if they sell unfinned replacements..... but then I bet the 4000 would have a super long flame!
That was in the original post. My edit was about the stinkyness of mapp\map-pro. It's all good though.
I haven't tried it but I wonder if the TS8000 tip is exchangeable with the TS4000. The TS8000 tip is a bit longer and it is wider I think. As for a replacement tip without fins, dunno. But I think the TS4000 would benefit more(for our purposes) from some flow control. If I get a chance this weekend to get over to my friends place I'll experiment with the tips. If the TS4000 tip fits on the TS8000 I'll see what that tip does when I'm able to control the flow. At low flow I get a nice long straight pointed flame from the TS8000. So, I imagine the TS4000 tip should be similar if not more precise due to the tighter nozzle dimensions.
*edit*The TS7000 torch head looks like a TS4000 with a small knob to adjust flow. Never seen those in Home Depot though, just online.*edit*

:) As always.. i don't know if it is the right place to post.. so i'll do it here..
Saw these in a movie... http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNETIC-ST...160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a90692d58
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/Turbine-Magnetic-Stirrer-operates-on-3-8-psi-air-supply-468812
Do you think these can aid solvent purge.. (Ethanol for example) ? or can be used to refine oil ? (loose gases)
http://www.belart.com/shop/370020000-operated-turbine-magnetic-stirrer-p-370020000.html
Ok, so what do you do when all the ethanol has evaporated? Now you have a beaker lined with oil and a stirbar covered in oil.

Last edited:
Stiggy,

farscaper

A little trick I posted about on the domeless 2014 thread but I figured I would mention I here for those that dont peruse that thread.

i finally found a use for that damn solo aroma bowl!

20140517_093257_resized_zps48680fde.jpg

I lifted it just enough so that you can clearly see the nail.... but when in use I just drop it right down flush on top of the nail. you can see vapor swirling in the little dimple inside the aroma bowl.

Finally this bitch gets used!

I have been promising pictures and a report of a couple of recent qwet runs I have done so here goes.

Here is the pic of what my first run produced.
25k0fuc.jpg

This was my first ever attempt at qwet. As you can see it is an oily/goo like substance. This was done with about 6 grams of avb. When I originally started vaping I saved my avb for edibles. However, as I am a high temp. vaper I found the results were not worth bothering with. So for a while now I have just been throwing my avb in the trash. Although I didn't get a huge yield (sorry too sticky to weigh) I was satisfied with the results. The oil tasted fine, the effects were good and it milked the hell out of my bubblers. The avb mostly came from my E-Nano with a little from my Vapormax and Infinity as well. Basically I was very pleased with the results and was certainly encouraged enough to try again. Next time I will save at least an ounce of avb before attempting this though. Honestly having some very usable oil compared to nothing was pretty awesome. Without going into detail my method here was not the best. I missed a few steps such as freezing my materials. For my first attempt though I think it was successful.

So onto the good stuff. After doing some research and refining my method I took 6 grams of Tangerine Dream and came up with this;
359zryt.jpg

This was from the first run. Sorry the picture is not the best. Can anyone tell me what you would call this? Is it wax? Anyway, this stuff is great. Super potent and tastes awesome. Being able to get pretty good strains is new to me. I picked up an ounce of this Tangerine Dream recently. I had never tasted anything like it before. Wow. Anyway, this concentrate still has the tangerine taste so I was happy.

This was what my second run produced. Would this be called shatter or I am I pulling my own chain? Again it is really nice to vape. It still tastes like tangerines and is really potent and as was expected is more sedative in nature than what the first run produced.
et9wuq.jpg

I will definitely be doing this again but I must perfect my method before attempting so. Basically I froze my buds in a mason jar along with my implements and 95% Ethyl Alcohol. I did not put my buds in the oven and nor did I grind them. I suspect this was a mistake. I let it freeze for about 5 hours and then went to work. I added the alcohol to the buds, agitated gently and put back in the freezer and repeated for 3 minutes. I then pored the contents into a medium stainless steel strainer and the remains into a mason jar with a coffee filter sitting on top. Once it was all filtered I poured it onto a plate and then left it in front of a small fan. I then repeated the process for the second run. By the next morning everything was evaporated and I scraped it all up.

Any comment on my process? I would love to improve it. In particular I need to find a better way to evaportate. I was very interested to see @herbivore21 and his evaporation method. I am quite scared of blowing myself up. Should I get myself a triple boiler? Also, he mentioned and took pics of the stainless steel espresso machine part he was using as his dish. I am not able to buy traditional razor blades and have to use the blade of a Stanley knife to do my scraping. What is this method you suggested where you just lift the concentrate with gloves when you are done. Mate any tips would be appreciated :) Also, thanks for the Skype offer. I went offline. I you want a nail just pm me. I'm sorry but I don't know if they are junk or not but you are welcome to one. I'll just throw it in a small envelope and hope for the best:haw:

P.S. What is that paper that you guys put your gooey stuff on? I need it :)
P.S.S. I have the buds still sitting in a mason jar and soaking in water. Should I throw them away or dry them and throw them into my next avb qwet run? Or other. TYIA

Last edited:
Mr. Gweilo 420,
Reactions: 2clicker

herbivore21

I have been promising pictures and a report of a couple of recent qwet runs I have done so here goes.

Here is the pic of what my first run produced.
25k0fuc.jpg

This was my first ever attempt at qwet. As you can see it is an oily/goo like substance. This was done with about 6 grams of avb. When I originally started vaping I saved my avb for edibles. However, as I am a high temp. vaper I found the results were not worth bothering with. So for a while now I have just been throwing my avb in the trash. Although I didn't get a huge yield (sorry too sticky to weigh) I was satisfied with the results. The oil tasted fine, the effects were good and it milked the hell out of my bubblers. The avb mostly came from my E-Nano with a little from my Vapormax and Infinity as well. Basically I was very pleased with the results and was certainly encouraged enough to try again. Next time I will save at least an ounce of avb before attempting this though. Honestly having some very usable oil compared to nothing was pretty awesome. Without going into detail my method here was not the best. I missed a few steps such as freezing my materials. For my first attempt though I think it was successful.

So onto the good stuff. After doing some research and refining my method I took 6 grams of Tangerine Dream and came up with this;
359zryt.jpg

This was from the first run. Sorry the picture is not the best. Can anyone tell me what you would call this? Is it wax? Anyway, this stuff is great. Super potent and tastes awesome. Being able to get pretty good strains is new to me. I picked up an ounce of this Tangerine Dream recently. I had never tasted anything like it before. Wow. Anyway, this concentrate still has the tangerine taste so I was happy.

This was what my second run produced. Would this be called shatter or I am I pulling my own chain? Again it is really nice to vape. It still tastes like tangerines and is really potent and as was expected is more sedative in nature than what the first run produced.
et9wuq.jpg

I will definitely be doing this again but I must perfect my method before attempting so. Basically I froze my buds in a mason jar along with my implements and 95% Ethyl Alcohol. I did not put my buds in the oven and nor did I grind them. I suspect this was a mistake. I let it freeze for about 5 hours and then went to work. I added the alcohol to the buds, agitated gently and put back in the freezer and repeated for 3 minutes. I then pored the contents into a medium stainless steel strainer and the remains into a mason jar with a coffee filter sitting on top. Once it was all filtered I poured it onto a plate and then left it in front of a small fan. I then repeated the process for the second run. By the next morning everything was evaporated and I scraped it all up.

Any comment on my process? I would love to improve it. In particular I need to find a better way to evaportate. I was very interested to see @herbivore21 and his evaporation method. I am quite scared of blowing myself up. Should I get myself a triple boiler? Also, he mentioned and took pics of the stainless steel espresso machine part he was using as his dish. I am not able to buy traditional razor blades and have to use the blade of a Stanley knife to do my scraping. What is this method you suggested where you just lift the concentrate with gloves when you are done. Mate any tips would be appreciated :) Also, thanks for the Skype offer. I went offline. I you want a nail just pm me. I'm sorry but I don't know if they are junk or not but you are welcome to one. I'll just throw it in a small envelope and hope for the best:haw:

P.S. What is that paper that you guys put your gooey stuff on? I need it :)
P.S.S. I have the buds still sitting in a mason jar and soaking in water. Should I throw them away or dry them and throw them into my next avb qwet run? Or other. TYIA
Great results man! I am stoked to see someone else who is new to this posting some photos!

Can you see any trichs on the buds you have already washed? I would give them an ISO wash (wouldn't do QWET again coz ethanol is too pricey to risk using on something that won't definitely work out perfect) if so.

Will PM you soon :) Just marking some assignments right now :)

You pour the solution (filtered alcohol with cannabinoids that you are left with after washing/filtering out your buds) into a small glass or SS dish, as small as can hold the liquid, then evap this sitting it in a low pool of boiling water :) Will take a pic when I can to illustrate what I mean!

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
@Mr. Gweilo 420
The paper is parchment. You should be able to find it in a grocery store. Used for baking. You can also use silicone baking mats. They are the same as oil slick pads. With these you can fold the oil onto itself to consolidate it together, just keep folding it smaller. Oil doesn't stick. If it sticks slightly put it in the freezer to make it easier to handle. Same for parchment or pad.

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
@Mr. Gweilo 420
They are the same as oil slick pads.

The only part I disagree as the OSP are platinum cured for better solvent resistance vs. baking pads are only food grade so medical silicone heat resistant. Nevertheless if you wanna blast directly on a support where you can afterwards collect your oil from by folding... you'd better use the OSsheets in PTFE or others (but OS PTFE on last sheets version is IMO unmatched): no butane "sweating" at all...vs the pads which weight will increase 20% after the blast as 'tane is trapped in its porous structure for a while....my 2 cts!

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
The only part I disagree as the OSP are platinum cured for better solvent resistance vs. baking pads are only food grade so medical silicone heat resistant. Nevertheless if you wanna blast directly on a support where you can afterwards collect your oil from by folding... you'd better use the OSsheets in PTFE or others (but OS PTFE on last sheets version is IMO unmatched): no butane "sweating" at all...vs the pads which weight will increase 20% after the blast as 'tane is trapped in its porous structure for a while....my 2 cts!
I agree. No blasting on the baking sheet! Usually I go direct into Pyrex dish floating in electric skillet with water. Bring to temp (120F). Unplug, then blast.

Edit : I never tried blasting on parchment. Anyone know if this works?

DieHard,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
It does BUT same as the coffee filters at the end of your tube: some paper fibers will be "ripped" from the paper by the solvent into your oil ;-)

FLskwat,
Reactions: DieHard

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Excellent choice!

And really try the OSSheets for blasting you will save the PITA of pyrex collection with f**king blades ;-)

FLskwat,
Reactions: 2clicker
:lol::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:Guys thanks for all the info :rockon: but I'm not working with butane. What do you mean by blasting? I'm not familiar with this term but suspect it is referring to a process that removes butane?? I'm just evaporating ethyl alcohol with a room fan :hmm:

2clicker

Observer

i concur that the OS "slick sheet" is the best for evaping and storage. i mean it is pure PTFE sheet. pricier than parchment, but well worth it IMO.

2clicker,
Reactions: DieHard
Top Bottom