• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

Fancy Ant

Can you make like a QWISO extraction with brown hash? The pressed kind they make in Northern Africa and Asia I mean. I searched so much but couldn't find anything. All the tutorials I found use herb.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I ordered some 10 mm bangers (and a 14 mm or two) from here ...
and they finally arrived today after nearly 4 months (the seller is right in the area that got hit hard again by covid at the time, they were very responsive and reassuring, before shipping and with the tracking too)
PXL-20220723-012310692.jpg

PXL-20220723-015811198.jpg
The quality is not perfect of course, thinner than expected, some uneven joints, but we'll see how they work out... Can't be mad at the price, just $50 altogether, they even fulfilled my request with the terp slurper giving me blue pearls and pills instead of the red in the listing... Plenty to play with now!

florduh

I'm gonna be on the road more or less full time again in about a month. In preparation, I've tried out going all hash rosin for the past month. Flower is hard to travel with and use in hotel rooms. My experience has been that I dabbed maybe a little over a gram of hash rosin total in the past month. That was enough to get me where I want to be from 5pm to bedtime every night.

Depends on the quality I was getting, but I saved money over doing the same thing with flower. And that's at outrageous FL prices for rosin. I imagine when I'm in CO, CA, OR the economics will be even more attractive.

I think live/hash rosin provides about 90% of the experience of vaping flower. And that remaining 10% isn't always something I want to experience. Hard to explain but it's sort of a background haze. Sort of feels "dirtier" than dabbing hash. Not necessarily a bad thing. But I found I had more energy and motivation to do something with my night after dabbing sativa leaning hash vs vaping sativa leaning flower. While still being extremely medicated.

Phytotherapy

I'm gonna be on the road more or less full time again in about a month. In preparation, I've tried out going all hash rosin for the past month. Flower is hard to travel with and use in hotel rooms. My experience has been that I dabbed maybe a little over a gram of hash rosin total in the past month. That was enough to get me where I want to be from 5pm to bedtime every night.

Depends on the quality I was getting, but I saved money over doing the same thing with flower. And that's at outrageous FL prices for rosin. I imagine when I'm in CO, CA, OR the economics will be even more attractive.

I think live/hash rosin provides about 90% of the experience of vaping flower. And that remaining 10% isn't always something I want to experience. Hard to explain but it's sort of a background haze. Sort of feels "dirtier" than dabbing hash. Not necessarily a bad thing. But I found I had more energy and motivation to do something with my night after dabbing sativa leaning hash vs vaping sativa leaning flower. While still being extremely medicated.
Interesting! I am busy with a similar experiment with a travel ahead... what device do you use dabbing?

Phytotherapy,
Reactions: Ramahs

Phytotherapy

Divine Tribe v5 heater in an AVS M22 housing. Made my own cooling stem out of glass tubing, sapphire pearls, and screens.

ii6K5oChf3Aw.png
Funny, I just had my eyes sat on that one... I so far only use a Dynacoil for concentrates. Can you compare, is this a worthwhile upgrade ? (I already own a mod)

Phytotherapy,
Reactions: Whisper

gotbadvas

Divine Tribe v5 heater in an AVS M22 housing. Made my own cooling stem out of glass tubing, sapphire pearls, and screens.

ii6K5oChf3Aw.png
Can you show how you have this setup as far as the heater coil / cup in the M22 housing. I was waiting on the M22 since the start but still have held off. I don't like the DTV5 housing but the device itself is something I would like to try. I have a TRVP V3 right now which I really like but would like to try this setup as well to have a backup when I need to do a tear down and clean but don't feel like it. I have really been getting back into dabs since I finally tore my TRVP apart and built a new coil. I feel like I am maybe a little less tired with the dabs and they don't smell near as much as flower. Biggest thing for me is getting the size of the dab right I kept taking huge ones.

florduh

I took a quartz banger dab for the first time in years last night. This might sound odd, but can anyone "taste" quartz? I forgot about this but I can always sort of taste quartz at the end of a dab, like if the banger has almost run dry. I've noticed it when I've used quartz cooling balls too. Generally the terps overwhelm that taste, but it's still there.

It's not an offputting taste. More of a "mouth feel". But it's unique to quartz. Don't notice it on SiC, Ceramic, or even Ti. Am I alone here?

Can you show how you have this setup as far as the heater coil / cup in the M22 housing. I was waiting on the M22 since the start but still have held off. I don't like the DTV5 housing but the device itself is something I would like to try. I have a TRVP V3 right now which I really like but would like to try this setup as well to have a backup when I need to do a tear down and clean but don't feel like it. I have really been getting back into dabs since I finally tore my TRVP apart and built a new coil. I feel like I am maybe a little less tired with the dabs and they don't smell near as much as flower. Biggest thing for me is getting the size of the dab right I kept taking huge ones.

Hey I'm sorry dude, I somehow missed this. It's not a complicated setup. The M22 allows standard RDA metal coils to be used as well as the ESCC. I just trim the v5 cup leads and screw them into the base. Just like with the regular DT housing any RDA. Easy peasy.

gotbadvas

I took a quartz banger dab for the first time in years last night. This might sound odd, but can anyone "taste" quartz? I forgot about this but I can always sort of taste quartz at the end of a dab, like if the banger has almost run dry. I've noticed it when I've used quartz cooling balls too. Generally the terps overwhelm that taste, but it's still there.

It's not an offputting taste. More of a "mouth feel". But it's unique to quartz. Don't notice it on SiC, Ceramic, or even Ti. Am I alone here?

Hey I'm sorry dude, I somehow missed this. It's not a complicated setup. The M22 allows standard RDA metal coils to be used as well as the ESCC. I just trim the v5 cup leads and screw them into the base. Just like with the regular DT housing any RDA. Easy peasy.
Oh I forgot about it as well I figured it out once I had the parts in my hands. I find my housing heats up a lot and it uses so much more battery than the coil. I didn't have much luck with the M22 with the coil though I like my trvp v3 much better. Does your housing get hot as well? I figure its just the nature of this cup heater just throwing off a lot of heat. I still need to play around with it more honestly have been not feeling like fiddling with gadgets the last few weeks lol. I need to order a round bottom banger for when I just don't feel like fucking around.

florduh

Does your housing get hot as well? I figure its just the nature of this cup heater just throwing off a lot of heat.

Yes, the housing does get hot. Less hot than the DTv5 or even the old Sai buckets. But still hot. And you're right, cup heaters do throw out a whole lot of heat.

IME, the M22 works as a pocketable portable if you do one rice grain or smaller dab, and get it all into your lungs in less than 10 seconds. The housing will be hot, but not burn-your-balls-off hot after one heating cycle. It's the back to back hits that really get the housing toasty.

I've been running the M22 with tiny dabs using wattage curves. No need to fuck with the clips. It basically operate like a cart or pod, just a second or two slower. But with cold start dab level taste.

CANtalk

For me, concentrates vaping is seasonal, a winter activity that I haven't done since ~10 months ago. Now we're definitely in winter again, and just last week I mentioned an interest to dab again here on FC. Fast forward another week into winter & now nearing the holiday season, it was time to dab tonight :freak::love::science::evil:.

I went with a pure cold start low temp dab of Blue Guava strong sativa HTFSE sauce... it's ~40% terps w/ huge flavors & very potent THC plus other cannabinoids.

This HTFSE sauce has been top notch... and the best concentrates I've had. Definitely try dabbing HTFSE, cold start if you can (on all glass). Here's a picture of my Blue Guava HTFSE sauce batch again, it's on the left here.
ny3kgcx8p3y71.jpg

Lots there to love. That's some Maui Wowie strong sativa live resin on the right (very good as well).

I'm haf on the cold start Blue Guava dab:science: :science : :evil::evil:.

Sorry for any spelling /grammar mistakes :razz:

Dab on & share ur dabs please. Have a great weekend.

:peace: :leaf:

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
Can you make like a QWISO extraction with brown hash? The pressed kind they make in Northern Africa and Asia I mean. I searched so much but couldn't find anything. All the tutorials I found use herb.
Yes of course you can. It won't come out coloured like the above samples, but brown to black.
Just use your hash instead of weed.
It might have very fine particles in it so it is good to use a fine sieve or paper coffee filter to filter.

I wonder if it is nice to dab, but probably should have about the same taste as the hash it comes from.

CANtalk

For me, concentrates vaping is seasonal, a winter activity that I haven't done since ~10 months ago. Now we're definitely in winter again, and just last week I mentioned an interest to dab again here on FC. Fast forward another week into winter & now nearing the holiday season, it was time to dab tonight :freak::love::science::evil:.

I went with a pure cold start low temp dab of Blue Guava strong sativa HTFSE sauce... it's ~40% terps w/ huge flavors & very potent THC plus other cannabinoids.

This HTFSE sauce has been top notch... and the best concentrates I've had. Definitely try dabbing HTFSE, cold start if you can (on all glass). Here's a picture of my Blue Guava HTFSE sauce batch again, it's on the left here.
ny3kgcx8p3y71.jpg

Lots there to love. That's some Maui Wowie strong sativa live resin on the right (very good as well).

I'm haf on the cold start Blue Guava dab:science: :science : :evil::evil:.

Sorry for any spelling /grammar mistakes :razz:

Dab on & share ur dabs please. Have a great weekend.

Just back to update, that dab adventure two weeks ago, that was the first time in something like 10 months and it put me down hard & out for 5+ hrs that night 😴 :lol:. Respect the concentrates... & the dab.

Anyway, tonight I just did another cold start low temp dab of Blue Guava HTFSE sauce (expand the link above to see the picture of my batch on the left). It was timed to finish early Christmas morning off and roll into a nice sleep 🎅. And a smaller but still very potent & flavorful amount (than last time haha). Here just now, I didn't "clear" the water piece until after ~8 seconds of drawing or so. Right where I like to be :).

~25 minutes later now & I'm haf :science::science:. Cheers & dab on. Merry Christmas & happy holidays 🎄🎅

Last edited:

alex91

Hi. I’m new to dabs and I have a few question If you guys don’t mind helping me out:

1. I’ve been using a dry herb vape for a few years, only on weekends at night, so 2-3 times a week. I usually use my Dynavap and just a 0.1 bowl, but sometimes I go for a second. I’m interested in switching to dabs, and I’d strictly go for live rosin. Would you say it’d be too much for me? I’d still mostly hit it on weekends and once or twice at night. Would something like a rice grain sized dab be enough? I don’t want to be the kind of guy that only gets high on dabs, so I’d like to keep my 0.1-0.2 flower bowl tolerance. I have a good self-control, so there’d no problem keeping up with a small quantity.

2. I like the “full-spectrum” experience you get with dry flower. As far as I know, the high with a good live rosin should be mostly the same in terms of getting a wide range of effects, but probably more intense. On the other hand, I’ve also read some people claiming that even with the highest quality live rosin you won’t have a true-to-flower experience. Do you feel like it’s a different thing? If so, how is it different?

Thanks!

CANtalk

Hi. I’m new to dabs and I have a few question If you guys don’t mind helping me out:

1. I’ve been using a dry herb vape for a few years, only on weekends at night, so 2-3 times a week. I usually use my Dynavap and just a 0.1 bowl, but sometimes I go for a second. I’m interested in switching to dabs, and I’d strictly go for live rosin. Would you say it’d be too much for me? I’d still mostly hit it on weekends and once or twice at night. Would something like a rice grain sized dab be enough? I don’t want to be the kind of guy that only gets high on dabs, so I’d like to keep my 0.1-0.2 flower bowl tolerance. I have a good self-control, so there’d no problem keeping up with a small quantity.

2. I like the “full-spectrum” experience you get with dry flower. As far as I know, the high with a good live rosin should be mostly the same in terms of getting a wide range of effects, but probably more intense. On the other hand, I’ve also read some people claiming that even with the highest quality live rosin you won’t have a true-to-flower experience. Do you feel like it’s a different thing? If so, how is it different?

Thanks!
I'm big on vaping flower & find it's a full spectrum experience like no other 👑. ~95% of my cannabis intake and I even like to maximize a quality batch by storing it in a mason jar with a moisture packet. Concentrates are much higher in THC than flower and I find the THC really dominates the high experience. A THC high is definitely different... more narrow, fuzzy and at times more psychedelic. And thus, a concentrates high is different with me & my low cannabis tolerance. That's not surprising per se, some cannabinoids are concentrated while others are lost when making concentrates. Even rosin gets quite warm when it's squished, which can liberate & degrade some of the lower molecular weight terpenes & cannabinoids.

Sure, try dabbing if you want. I usually vape 0.050 grams of flower at a time... and dabbing is a nice change. A rice grain dab is a bigger amount than many realize fwiw, I switched to a half a grain of rice in size or so over time. This keeps the dab more fresh and I can pretty much clear it in one draw, when the flavors are by far the best. If I want to dab more, I simply do another :). But beware, dabbing is like a lit fuse... it takes a bit of time and then boom :science:. Let us know if you try it, good luck & enjoy.

Last edited:

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer

Thanks!

Some stuff is better as rosin, some is better in flower - just like some stuff is better fresh and others are better cured.
Flower is always dried though so a cured extract would technically be a closer approximation than a fresh frozen live rosin. Most people sell live rosin as its more marketable and easier to make though.

Generally would recommend full melt hash over rosin if possible. IMHO it's the optimal cannabis vaping experience especially if you're going to take a dab.

I really like rosin cartridges for real low dose micro hits. Hard to say for sure with your tolerance whether it would be overwhelming or not, IMHO really small dabs can be kind of challenging to consistently dose.

I've never found that concentrates raised my tolerance to the point I couldn't get stoned on flower. All dry herb vaporizers extract a concentration of these same oils, so the effective THC percentages are going to be similar.

On the contrary when my tolerance is on the higher end of my range I can't really vape flower that much due to hot air harshness.

Are rosin dabs true to the flower experience? I'd say yes, and technically it's a more pure and clean vaporization experience. But like smoking vs vaping, or even just conduction vs convection you will find some nuance between dabs. Even just doing a cold start versus a hot drop can create a different perceived effect.

Of course plenty of people in the mainstream cannabis space will say the only true to flower experience is rolling it up into a joint :spliff:

sickmanfraud

I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I have several grams of grinder hash in different strains. Any ideas of ways to use it?

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: LesPlenty

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I'm not exactly new to concentrates, but I am in the dark about the myriad ways they are made.
I understand rosin is pressed under heat and that generally "distillate" means more chemical-ie stuff used in the process, some of those basics.
I understand that some concentrates advertise "full spectrum", but to achieve this they are re-introducing things that the distillation process removed, terpenes and such?
But the range of substances being commercially produced is overwhelming.
Dozens of names, from Batter to Shatter, from bubble hash to live resin.
I look at store menus online and they are usually very sparse in describing methods.
My main question is
Is there some compendium, some wiki or otherwise that breaks it all down, the names, methods, ingredients?
Or is this thread my ticket? Or another on FC that I've missed?

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Any ideas of ways to use it?
I saved a heap up for when I got my Dabpress, I was not very successful pressing it and would recommend just topping off a herb load for an extra kick when needed...or a herb/kief sandwich also works well.:tup:
I hammered the mesh screen out of my 88mm SpaceCase after that and have gone with 3-piece grinders from then on.

florduh

I'm not exactly new to concentrates, but I am in the dark about the myriad ways they are made.
I understand rosin is pressed under heat and that generally "distillate" means more chemical-ie stuff used in the process, some of those basics.
I understand that some concentrates advertise "full spectrum", but to achieve this they are re-introducing things that the distillation process removed, terpenes and such?
But the range of substances being commercially produced is overwhelming.
Dozens of names, from Batter to Shatter, from bubble hash to live resin.
I look at store menus online and they are usually very sparse in describing methods.
My main question is
Is there some compendium, some wiki or otherwise that breaks it all down, the names, methods, ingredients?
Or is this thread my ticket? Or another on FC that I've missed?

I don't know of a good compendium offhand. If you have a dispo menu or something I'd be happy to take a look and give you recommendations.

There are true full spectrum hydrocarbon extractions that have a variety of minor noids and naturally occurring terpenes. Usually sold as Live Resin, "Sauce", Live Budder. The key here is that everything in the resulting dabbable product came from the same strain.

But marketing speak comes into this. They will sell "live resin" distillate products, usually in syringes or carts. A lot of times this is simply high THC distillate with added terps that may or may not have come from the plant the disty was extracted from.

Personally, I prefer live or hash rosin. I find that to be the truest to the original plant strain. But there's some tasty hydrocarbon extractions out there too. Live resin or cured resin sold in a jar is still a great experience.

People shit on distillate, but there are advantages to it depending on the situation. It's usually a nice head high. Good for on the go use where you don't want to get stoned.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@florduh , thanks.
I have, once, gotten live resin in a jar. 👍 More often it is in a cart or pen, and I've seen an uncomfotably wide spread in how those go, to judge by packaging or taste.

Part of my problem is that its all been gray market in NY, and I dont get to MA as often anymore, where it looks like at least some places have rosin these days. But I haven't been there lately...

My general reaction to oil distillate carts is weird-to-bad taste, then drowsiness after some degree of high.

I've read a couple of 'informative' articles but frankly, its been hard to tell who the authorities are on concentrate methods and variety.

I've known for a while that my quest will probaly be answered by some rosin, when it comes.
So in the meantime I'm trying to sort out the names of all these other things. Moonrocks? Diamond crystals*? Wtf...

*Or is that my salt?

florduh

So in the meantime I'm trying to sort out the names of all these other things. Moonrocks? Diamond crystals*? Wtf...

LOL I think moonrocks are just flower, dipped in some sort of oil, coated in kief. Never fucked with it.

Diamond crystals are a hydrocarbon extraction. The crystals are pure THC. Often packaged with some terp sauce. I find diamonds to be a pain in the ass consistency. Personally, I like sauce. There might be tiny diamonds in the sauce, but that's easier than cutting up big ol rocks.

Top Bottom