Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

Okla68

Wow. Thanks for all the advice ppl. Much appreciated.

So there's the "flower sandwich" method and then dedicated concentrate rigs.

I was leaning toward the sandwich method bc I'm not interested on consuming just concentrates at this point but was looking for a way to improve my flower experience. Would I really be "missing the boat" on concentrates (specifically rosin) if I don't try it on a dedicated rig or in a terp pen?

That sounds really nice. Is max temp necessary? Won't any flower get charred?
It will get Dark for sure, but, Not Charred...I normally run 420°F for a sandwich...464°F with just the pad....Both are Cloud monsters ! Both are Terpy, Taste Treat delights

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
It will get Dark for sure, but, Not Charred...I normally run 420°F for a sandwich...464°F with just the pad....Both are Cloud monsters ! Both are Terpy, Taste Treat delights
You make a solid business case good sir. I'll let you know the results but may be a while until my next order.

Oil420FL

Have you tired any of the hash/live rosin options in FL? As far as longevity of effects, that will be your best bet. 710 Labs is reliable. But they're a pain in the ass to order from in The Free State. For a budget option, I've been impressed with Surterra.

Rosin is now becoming more widely available in cartridge and pod system vapes, that's what I'm hoping comes to my neighborhood soon!
I just tried some live rosin in a cartridge from Surterra. Very nice and smooth! And I'm using a YouCan Kodo Pro [$19] that adjusts voltage in 0.1 increments, has a preheat & puff counter and uses a 510 connector without a magnetic connector [so ohm readings are very stable]. I can power on, preheat, take a hit, power off, and put it back in my pocket in less time than it takes to scoop, measure, and load and heat an e-rig (and it costs way less than even a DT5 setup :-)

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I just tried some live rosin in a cartridge from Surterra. Very nice and smooth! And I'm using a YouCan Kodo Pro [$19] that adjusts voltage in 0.1 increments, has a preheat & puff counter and uses a 510 connector without a magnetic connector [so ohm readings are very stable]. I can power on, preheat, take a hit, power off, and put it back in my pocket in less time than it takes to scoop, measure, and load and heat an e-rig (and it costs way less than even a DT5 setup :-)

Oh yes, it is very hard to beat the convenience of a cart pen. I use the Uni Pro and love it for travel and by the bedside. So discreet and easy. I'd say my second best method for that type of vaping would be the OG Terp Pen. The Lightning Pen is great, but not as easy as the other two.
The only thing with the live resin carts, it often has a bite to it that can irritate my throat. At first I thought it was a feeling of excessive heat from the vapor, but have come to realize that it's from the terps. Still, I always go with the resin because I don't want to vape the additives in the disty carts.

Last edited:

florduh

Hell yeah, brother! I've never had their carts but Surterra live rosin in jars is probably the best "budget" concentrate in FL. Tasty and potent.

@BabyFacedFinster yeah that's why I'm partial to rosin. Live Resin is tasty but sometimes the terps are too damn high! Rosin has more of a natural terp profile. There are some options better than others though. Like Ursa is Cali. Their live resin carts didn't burn my throat as bad.

You also have to be more careful with resin than rosin. Sometimes a "live resin" cart is disty with added "live" terps. I don't care for that. The cannabinoids and terpenes should both come from the same strain imo.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Hell yeah, brother! I've never had their carts but Surterra live rosin in jars is probably the best "budget" concentrate in FL. Tasty and potent.

@BabyFacedFinster yeah that's why I'm partial to rosin. Live Resin is tasty but sometimes the terps are too damn high! Rosin has more of a natural terp profile. There are some options better than others though. Like Ursa is Cali. Their live resin carts didn't burn my throat as bad.

You also have to be more careful with resin than rosin. Sometimes a "live resin" cart is disty with added "live" terps. I don't care for that. The cannabinoids and terpenes should both come from the same strain imo.
Rosin carts aren't as common around here. I do know where I can get them, but the price is almost double the cost of resin. For home use, hash rosin is my dab of choice.

I shouldn't be spending any more money on vape shit, but I do have my eye on that Cricket if the price comes down enough.

florduh

I'm having an easier time finding strains with specific effects with flower lately. And I'm wondering why.

I don't buy into "sativa" or "indica" nomenclature. But I do believe in strains that are headier for daytime use...or stonier for night time use.

And I'm specifically talking about solventless stuff here. I've grown to expect a bland, hybrid high from BHO. One theory I have is simple availability. Even dispos in excellent markets usually only have 5-6 different rosin options. Versus 30+ flower options.

I also just might be getting bad info. Before buying anything I usually research the strain's genetics to make a good guess at effects. But who knows how accurate the info I'm getting is.

darbarikanada

I'm having an easier time finding strains with specific effects with flower lately. And I'm wondering why.
I only got into concentrates (mostly wax) in the last few years, but when I started buying wax of favorite strains, I found myself preferring the wax over the flower, effects-wise (this begs the question of which producer made what, but it's been 100% consistent). it's not about potency either - I get equally baked on flower, hash or wax. the only thing I can think of that might explain this is the presence of non-psychoactive compounds in flower (e.g. fibrous stuff). when I've compared wax and flower of the same strain, it always ends up something like 'strain X is very creative, but the wax variant's noticeably more creative, although it's a question of degree, not night-and-day.'

clearly more research is necessary.

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I only got into concentrates (mostly wax) in the last few years, but when I started buying wax of favorite strains, I found myself preferring the wax over the flower, effects-wise (this begs the question of which producer made what, but it's been 100% consistent). it's not about potency either - I get equally baked on flower, hash or wax. the only thing I can think of that might explain this is the presence of non-psychoactive compounds in flower (e.g. fibrous stuff). when I've compared wax and flower of the same strain, it always ends up something like 'strain X is very creative, but the wax variant's noticeably more creative, although it's a question of degree, not night-and-day.'

clearly more research is necessary.
It is clearer. Less muddiness that hinders the effect.

Oil420FL

Yes and the other reason I haven’t completely given up flower for concentrates is the effects usually seem to last a little longer. But vaping flower has such a narrow range of about 60 degrees for me between good hits full of terps and combustion vs. about 120 degrees for concentrates. (And contributors to this thread pointed out many other concentrate advantages.) So I find myself topping off more often, but it only takes a few minutes. I just bought another Yocan Kodo Pro in a different color so I can have 2 cartridges ready to go with just 5+2 clicks (on + preheat).

Oil420FL,
Reactions: florduh

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I find I am twaxing a lot more than dabbing since getting into ball vapes,
1682236757494-jpg.45866

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
I find I am twaxing a lot more than dabbing since getting into ball vapes,
1682236757494-jpg.45866
Yes ball vapes changed everything.
Flower is more "full spectrum" than dabs but also "muddier".
I would prefer dabs throughout the day and for working.
But all in all ball vapes are more efficient and less work when you start with weed, so I tend to use much less concentrates since I got a ball vape.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
@LesPlenty which heated tip dabber is that? I just got my first hotknife (puffco) and can't go back to a regular dab tool again and wondering what else is out there and worth it.
I have a Puffco hot knife as well but it feels very fragile compared to the el-cheapo tip that I have mounted on a Quaser 510 battery, about 15 bucks a pair and much sturdier, I got mine here,

sickmanfraud

I may be in a legal state of the USA in a few weeks.

I will be staying with friends who maintain a smoke-free home. If I need to medicate outside it seems like concentrates may be a better choice for quick medicating. I never tried concentrates.

Which concentrates are easier for a concentrate noob to deal with?

twain55

I will be staying with friends who maintain a smoke-free home. If I need to medicate outside it seems like concentrates may be a better choice for quick medicating. I never tried concentrates.

Vape cartridges/disposable pens would be the stealthiest imo. Not much of a learning curve either. Why invest in a pen or rig or whatever for a few days of use?

sickmanfraud

I like crumbles, as they can be easy to handle with no sticky mess, and pieces can be thrown into the chamber of a skillet or coil type pen/device.

I do not have a "concentrate" vape. Using my Tinymight 2 which concentrate would be best?

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: Vitolo

Vitolo

Vaporist
I do not have a "concentrate" vape. Using my Tinymight 2 which concentrate would be best?
Again I would say crumble for the ease of handling. with a Tinymight 2 I would use the technique of winding cotton.
I have many cotton techniques, but my favorite for the Tinymight or any on demand convection vape is shown here
I have no vapes at home now so I refer to an LSV video, which would duplicate best the Tinymight 2 technique:
After rolling the dab in cotton, you vape a few times in one direction, and then you switch directions!
When all done, fluff the cotton out and stuff it in and get a last hit.
You can use a transfer wand...
...a shorty wand....
..even a DBV wand.
I used my 18m/18m male to male adapter.
Edit: use real cotton only. Look for the emblem:
Unknown.jpg

P.S.- In this video I am using a softer wax. You can use crumble, Shatter, or any full melt concentrate.

Last edited:

strech

I

I like edibles in that situation.

I would second a vape cartridge for easy of use and stealth.

The cotton trick works well if you want to go that route.

Madtater

I

I like edibles in that situation.

I would second a vape cartridge for easy of use and stealth.

The cotton trick works well if you want to go that route.
Edibles yes definitely. There are some great ones out there, and they have inda/sativa/hybrid versions as well.

Also, if a smoke free house is in their destiny, then definitely 510 carts as well. My wife will not let me smoke/vape flower in the house, but she lets me hit my carts because it dissipates quickly and doesn’t smell a whole lot (also dissipates quickly).

There are definitely ways to get around the smoke/vapor thing in a smoke free environment.

CANtalk

I don't know why it would make a difference with a TM2 (both flower & concentrates smell in use & produce clouds). With the TM2, I'd stick with & enjoy vaping glorious flower in a legal state :luv:. Simply get out of the house, be reasonably discrete & you're in a legal state. Along those lines, I'd sample lots & buy small amounts so you can try a number of different strains. Enjoy the high quality cannabis that a "legal" jurisdiction brings to the vaping experience, it's big👍 :2c:

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

I hate edibles myself. I agree with the suggestions of carts and a cheap battery. Easy to get in any legal state rec shop.

If you are bringing your TM, I would just stick to flower myself. You gotta go outside anyway and it won't be any easier or less smelly to use concentrates with it.

sickmanfraud

The vape pen sounds like a good idea.

I use a lot of THC/CBD blends. Are they readily available as concentrates? and edibles?

I do not want to be "impaired" in any way during the day or evening but I want to stay out of pain.

Top Bottom