Concentrates for Noobs - Q&A

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
What temperature do you people set the fridges at?

This tiny fridge I bought for my desk doesn't allow you to change the temperature. But I believe it stays around 40F.

@Ramahs bet your putting that Vrod of yours to good use ;)

Yeah, I will soon. However, I haven't even set it up yet since I moved here. I've just been using a 30mm banger with a barrel coil powered by my Auber temp controller (same one I've been using with my Vrod).

shopdognyc

I don't think I can ever go back to using water with my concentrate, its just so much nicer dry :love:. like wise I don't think I will have much that isn't solventless.

@Ramahs bet your putting that Vrod of yours to good use ;)
that is pretty insightful. i like using flower with dry glass mostly. i just feel like i get more and taste is more for me.

when i try with concentrates i am stuck it has to be with water. this helps.

I keep all my concentrate in the freezer and take out what I need and store that at room temperature.
Rarely is any concentrate at room temp in black glass jar for more than a couple of weeks. I don't notice any drop in taste, just occasionally my hash rosin gets more crumbly.
Do you guys notice a difference over a few weeks with rosin.....?
I feel like I missed out on this. I just have mine in a drawer not cooled. Still hits well but have to keep this in mind for the future purchases.

Ramahs

In a matter of days (or hours), Divine Tribe will be selling the Core 2 with the compatable V5 heater. That is my next purchase as the OG Core and V5 have been my in-home DD for a while now.

I'm aware of DT, but haven't looked into them much so far.
Though, as far as 510 mod atomizers go, I was under the impression that the Sai was at the top of the current list for those.

That being said, I'm more interested in the super compact wax pens. Some examples would include vapes like the Lynx Hypnos Zero or Blaze, the Puffco Plus, the boundless Terp Pen (or Terp Pen XL), etc.

^ Maybe the above type of compact wax pens are all garbage. I don't know. Still looking into it.

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
I'm aware of DT, but haven't looked into them much so far.
Though, as far as 510 mod atomizers go, I was under the impression that the Sai was at the top of the current list for those.

That being said, I'm more interested in the super compact wax pens. Some examples would include vapes like the Lynx Hypnos Zero or Blaze, the Puffco Plus, the boundless Terp Pen (or Terp Pen XL), etc.

^ Maybe the above type of compact wax pens are all garbage. I don't know. Still looking into it.
DT v5 current leader although if you can get an AVS M22 to work reliably then might be better.
Sequoia an improvement over the sai.
I have the sai, seq and M22. I use the M22 every day but only on wattage as the escc functionality is sketchy.
Seq on sic is v good.
If I was in market for a mod based solution I would go for the v5.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I'm more interested in the super compact wax pens. Some examples would include vapes like the Lynx Hypnos Zero or Blaze, the Puffco Plus, the boundless Terp Pen (or Terp Pen XL), etc.

A lot of it is based on individual preference, and luck of the draw. With some of these devices that are mass produced, you could get a good one or you might get a lemon. Sort of like what happens with cheap torches.

For the Terp pen, when looking to improve the OG pen they decided to go bigger with the xl. However the reviews for the xl are not as positive as it was for the OG. If you check out that thread, I believe they were trying to work out some tech quirkiness with the electronics. For me, the best thing about the OG is the compact nature and ease of use. IMHO they should have gone smaller with the next gen, not bigger and worked on that niche.
The pen is not a flavor monster but does an excellent job when you want fast, killer hits while your at the beach or in the park or anywhere where you want a good hit but need it to be quick and discreet. The biggest key is to keep it fed. You can only get 1-2 good hits before you need to load a little more. Once you start hitting it dry, that's when you get the bad coily taste. Luckily, loading it requires barely touching the coil with a tiny amount. Too much and you'll get a lot of gunky build up. Sounds complicated but not really once you get it down. As I've said in the past, it was the best $20 I've ever spent on any vape device. I have two in back up storage, but my first one keeps going.

Something else that has promise for quick portable hitting is the X-vape Qomo. Originally over looked because it seems cheap and had a ceramic cup that is hard to clean. They have begun coming out with a quartz cup that has promise. Half (or a quarter) the cost and size of other erigs, it has great promise as a compact fast hitter.

Regardless, none if this stuff will match the experience and taste of your enail equipment. I have a 710/auber setup, but it sits in the drawer because I can't leave that stuff out in my house and setting it up each time I want a hit is not reasonable.

Have fun exploring!

Ramahs

I used to talk shit about Skilletools dabbers. I'd say that they were way overpriced into rediculousness.

Well, I was perusing a local headshop the other day, and I picked up a Skilletools Mr. Dabalina Mini Gold because it was only like ten bucks (I feel like these used to be more expensive), and I'd wanted one of those little fork dabbers for some time now.

IMG-2456.jpg

I have to say, it surprised me how much I like this little tool. Now I get it.

It feels really good in the hand, that little fork does a really good job of grabbing onto the tiniest amount of almost any kind of concentrate (making tiny dabs even easier), and that little chain it comes with makes it perfect to hang right on my rig between uses.

IMG-2458.jpg

I think I may look to buy more Skilletools in the future :tup:

Last edited:

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
well my continuing negative experience with carts hasn't broken the pattern yet. bought a strain specific CO2 cart and I was very curious to try it out since I haven't picked up a cart since the options were mystery "indica" and "sativa" only. I've even had the strain before, several ways all from the same grower including flower, high oleic sunflower edible oil and live resin, now the CO2 resin.

first I couldn't get it to work but it was cold so I held it in my fist for a bit and tried again after. still wasn't working but I figured the wick was still saturating so I kept hitting it and vapour eventually came but it was super harsh, maybe the harshest vapour I've ever had and I'm a flowerpot owner who use to ride the line all the time so I'm no stranger to hot harsh vapour. thought maybe I took to big of a hit or maybe I'm just a pussy now from all the more gentle temp stepping I do these days??? wtf???? is there something wrong with my palm? I suffered through a few hits but it was so harsh and unpleasant I couldn't focus on the flavour at all. I put it down and let the high kick in which wasn't bad, better than the last cart I had but the experience getting high was shit!

few days later I figured id try again but it wouldn't work...... was it clogged all ready????? so I took the cart out of my palm and pieces of the bottom of the cart stuck to the vape and came out of the cart when I removed it. I tried to reassemble every way I could think to try but I didn't know what to do with the loose metal strand that was in the hole in the bottom, nothing worked. I contacted my grower and said I was very unhappy I had a brand new cart I couldn't use, after a few emails and sending pics they gave me a refund but didn't ask me to send the cart back and said just dispose of it. throwing good cannabis away doesn't sit well with me but the cart was sealed so what to do?? figured if I break it trying to recover the resin I'd throw it away so I got to work, I removed the bottom pieces that came out, then used a pick tool going in through mp to remove the wick, it was like a tiny roll of sticky paper towel. without the wick I figured if I heated it it would flow out the bottom, it did and I recovered most of the resin.

so now it was time to see if it was the resin that was so harsh or the defective cart that was the culprit ??????? so I turned on my Vrod and loaded up a average size dab.......... fingers crossed it wasn't too harsh......... and the dab was incredible ?????? the flavour was so strong and lemony it felt like I was drinking a glass of lemonade not vaping, then the high hit and I was totally baked. the CO2 resin was better than the live resin of the same strain from the same grower????? I was really surprised and impressed. figured I'd make sure last night wasn't a fluke so I just had another dab and yep its very nice again.

florduh

Co2 oil is underrated. It reminds me of vaping flower.

Hell yeah. Is Brite Labs still making Co2 stuff out there on the Left Coast? For a while there I swore the best portable "flower" vape was a Pax Era and a Brite Labs pod. Fuck, those were pretty cheap too. Delivered within like an hour by Grassdoor.

@Bad Dog invertedisdead is right. IMO anything above 3 volts is always gonna taste like burnt ass. Grab a battery that can go at least as low as 2.0 and you'll have a vastly different experience.

I wonder how much cart hate comes down to the shitty batteries dispos recommend. Not every user is a dumb kid who wants to blow clouds and kill a gram cart in 24 hours.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Hell yeah. Is Brite Labs still making Co2 stuff out there on the Left Coast? For a while there I swore the best portable "flower" vape was a Pax Era and a Brite Labs pod. Fuck, those were pretty cheap too. Delivered within like an hour by Grassdoor.

@Bad Dog invertedisdead is right. IMO anything above 3 volts is always gonna taste like burnt ass. Grab a battery that can go at least as low as 2.0 and you'll have a vastly different experience.

I wonder how much cart hate comes down to the shitty batteries dispos recommend. Not every user is a dumb kid who wants to blow clouds and kill a gram cart in 24 hours.

I haven’t seen them for a while but I got this Shishkaberry rosin the other day that reminded me of some old Brite Labs favorites.

OutCo Co2 oil was good stuff too, some of them were very flavorful. Definitely a unique experience.

That’s a really great point about the batteries, I went with my friend the other day who was looking for some liquid live and a battery and all the batteries they were selling were too high of a voltage for me; and most people probably do buy them from these dispensaries.

Some of the best carts are easily ruined by using too high of a voltage, especially thicker oils. Those hot batteries usually work best with distillate. It’s weird the manufacturers don’t put more effort into optimizing the experience.

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
I wouldn't be surprised if my palm is also malfunctioning, I've only used it a few times but it was never this bad. I think all carts in Canada that aren't sold as live resin carts are CO2 and have been since the beginning of legalization.

don't think I'll grab a new battery soon since I prefer the ritual of my enail and effects better. but one day I'll try again, maybe a era?

I do agree with @invertedisdead that CO2 is under rated.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I wouldn't be surprised if my palm is also malfunctioning, I've only used it a few times but it was never this bad. I think all carts in Canada that aren't sold as live resin carts are CO2 and have been since the beginning of legalization.

don't think I'll grab a new battery soon since I prefer the ritual of my enail and effects better. but one day I'll try again, maybe a era?

I do agree with @invertedisdead that CO2 is under rated.

I would not get the era, regardless of the voltage settings, I always prefer a battery that has a button, that way you have full control over the temperature, even if it is high or low, you can pulse the button, also you can let go of the button and keep inhaling to fully clear your hit from the heat etc, I hate auto draw detect things like the palm or the era (era at least has the exact temp control but I don't like those proprietary pods and all the plastic? I still have a pod I have not finished from the first time I got mine years ago lol)

Yeah I don't see CO2 that often anymore, most everything is distill it now much more common, maybe that's why it matches with the shitty batteries more haha also though live resin can be found, I'm still hoping to grab the awesome rosin carts you turned me on to @invertedisdead but since I haven't been leaving the house it hasn't been much of a need yet these years :rofl:

Ramahs

well my continuing negative experience with carts hasn't broken the pattern yet. bought a strain specific CO2 cart and I was very curious to try it out since I haven't picked up a cart since the options were mystery "indica" and "sativa" only. I've even had the strain before, several ways all from the same grower including flower, high oleic sunflower edible oil and live resin, now the CO2 resin.

first I couldn't get it to work but it was cold so I held it in my fist for a bit and tried again after. still wasn't working but I figured the wick was still saturating so I kept hitting it and vapour eventually came but it was super harsh, maybe the harshest vapour I've ever had and I'm a flowerpot owner who use to ride the line all the time so I'm no stranger to hot harsh vapour. thought maybe I took to big of a hit or maybe I'm just a pussy now from all the more gentle temp stepping I do these days??? wtf???? is there something wrong with my palm? I suffered through a few hits but it was so harsh and unpleasant I couldn't focus on the flavour at all. I put it down and let the high kick in which wasn't bad, better than the last cart I had but the experience getting high was shit!

few days later I figured id try again but it wouldn't work...... was it clogged all ready????? so I took the cart out of my palm and pieces of the bottom of the cart stuck to the vape and came out of the cart when I removed it. I tried to reassemble every way I could think to try but I didn't know what to do with the loose metal strand that was in the hole in the bottom, nothing worked. I contacted my grower and said I was very unhappy I had a brand new cart I couldn't use, after a few emails and sending pics they gave me a refund but didn't ask me to send the cart back and said just dispose of it. throwing good cannabis away doesn't sit well with me but the cart was sealed so what to do?? figured if I break it trying to recover the resin I'd throw it away so I got to work, I removed the bottom pieces that came out, then used a pick tool going in through mp to remove the wick, it was like a tiny roll of sticky paper towel. without the wick I figured if I heated it it would flow out the bottom, it did and I recovered most of the resin.

so now it was time to see if it was the resin that was so harsh or the defective cart that was the culprit ??????? so I turned on my Vrod and loaded up a average size dab.......... fingers crossed it wasn't too harsh......... and the dab was incredible ?????? the flavour was so strong and lemony it felt like I was drinking a glass of lemonade not vaping, then the high hit and I was totally baked. the CO2 resin was better than the live resin of the same strain from the same grower????? I was really surprised and impressed. figured I'd make sure last night wasn't a fluke so I just had another dab and yep its very nice again.

Yeah. I haven't been too happy with carts, even the higher priced live resin ones. None I've tried taste quite right. Not that they were terrible, just off a bit. And furthermore, they are all unusually harsh on my throat, even mouth-to-lung.

I currently still usually have a cart or two around, because they are super convenient, inconspicuous, and give off the least smell that others will notice when out and about. No dry herb vape can beat them in that area. I just wish that they could get the flavor right. The harshness to my throat though is still a negative.

For the above reasons, I've been looking into wax pens (Puffco Plus, Dr Dabber Stella, Linx Blaze, Saionara, Devine Tribe, etc...). I ordered a Terp Pen V2 from Puffitup the other day (still hasn't shipped. Hopefully it will soon...) because it's such a low cost option with a good reputation. But I suspect I will want to upgrade to something better with a true quartz or Ti bucket like the others I mentioned above once I've had more time to research them. Until they improve carts I'd prefer to just have a good wax pen so I can just use quality concentrates instead of carts.

I would not get the era, regardless of the voltage settings, I always prefer a battery that has a button, that way you have full control over the temperature, even if it is high or low, you can pulse the button, also you can let go of the button and keep inhaling to fully clear your hit from the heat etc, I hate auto draw detect things like the palm or the era (era at least has the exact temp control but I don't like those proprietary pods and all the plastic? I still have a pod I have not finished from the first time I got mine years ago lol)

I don't like the era because I see those empty plastic era carts all over the ground every-fucking-where! For some reason I don't see normal pen cartridges very often on the ground. I guess the littering assholes are particularly drawn to the era for some reason ?!? :shrug:

Last edited:

BabyFacedFinster

Yeah. I haven't been too happy with carts, even the higher priced live resin ones. None I've tried taste quite right. Not that they were terrible, just off a bit. And furthermore, they are all unusually harsh on my throat, even mouth-to-lung.

I currently still usually have a cart or two around, because they are super convenient, inconspicuous, and give off the least smell that others will notice when out and about. No dry herb vape can beat them in that area. I just wish that they could get the flavor right. The harshness to my throat though is still a negative.

For the above reasons, I've been looking into wax pens (Puffco Plus, Dr Dabber Stella, Linx Blaze, Saionara, Devine Tribe, etc...). I ordered a Terp Pen V2 from Puffitup the other day (still hasn't shipped. Hopefully it will soon...) because it's such a low cost option with a good reputation. But I suspect I will want to upgrade to something better with a true quartz or Ti bucket like the others I mentioned above once I've had more time to research them. Until they improve carts I'd prefer to just have a good wax pen so I can just use quality concentrates instead of carts.

I don't like the era because I see those empty plastic era carts all over the ground every-fucking-where! For some reason I don't see normal pen cartridges very often on the ground. I guess the littering assholes are particularly drawn to the era for some reason ?!? :shrug:

Not a wax pen, but my next small device will be that xvape Qomo if they start selling them with the new quartz bucket. My terp pen is great, but I have also hit a wall with these pens and 510 devices doing a number on my throat. I gotta have some water cooling, and the Qomo has a little, but better than nothing. Plus you have a bucket rather than a shitty coil.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Not a wax pen, but my next small device will be that xvape Qomo if they start selling them with the new quartz bucket. My terp pen is great, but I have also hit a wall with these pens and 510 devices doing a number on my throat. I gotta have some water cooling, and the Qomo has a little, but better than nothing. Plus you have a bucket rather than a shitty coil.

I have the OG, will eventually get the quartz bucket. Personally, I use it DRY, as I didn’t find the thimble amount of water, to do anything in terms of cooling. YMMV....

Ramahs

The Qomo is attractive for what it is at its fairly low price.
However, I feel it's a bit too conspicuous for the purposes I'm looking for.

BabyFacedFinster

The Qomo is attractive for what it is at its fairly low price.
However, I feel it's a bit too conspicuous for the purposes I'm looking for.
I understand. For travelling I usually use my terp pen, but your post had me thinking of a small pen with a bucket coil. There might be a puffco plus in my future.

Last edited:

Ramahs

I understand. For travelling I usually use my terp pen, but your post had me thinking of a small pen with a bucket coil. There might be a puffco plus in my future.

The puffco plus is definitely one I considered (and one I can purchase in a local brick & mortar store where I live, so that's a plus), but I kept seeing to many negatives and bad experiences with it, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on one.

BabyFacedFinster

The puffco plus is definitely one I considered (and one I can purchase in a local brick & mortar store where I live, so that's a plus), but I kept seeing to many negatives and bad experiences with it, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on one.
I'm right on the fence with the Plus. It is a great niche to fill. A slim pen device with a few temp settings on a bucket coil for mini dab hits with great flavor on the go. They seem to hit most points, but it's the durability that's an issue at $80-90 with $25 for replacement attys.

Some people get one with no issues and they love them to death. Others have break down issues that plague their experience and they swear not another Puffco. And when working well, people report they hit better than a Stella or a Slash.

I could really use one for upcoming travel but I might end up with the terp pen again. Terp pen has never let me down, but damn I would like a nice bucket coil. My other alternative is to work out the bugs with my DTV5 on a evic mod, but that's still bulkier than I want.

Last edited:
Top Bottom