Concentrate high vs dry herb vape high

shredder

It's nice to have different tools for different jobs. I largely agree that for the most part, concentrates are a bit more "heady" than "stoney". Flower does give you more of a body load. But there are plenty of times I want more of a head high than body

I agree to a point. I don't vape herb anymore but I do eat it in capsules.

All that "heady and stoney" stuff is really variety specific within flowers. I have herb capsules that have each of those effects, just like vaping that variety does. I think adding terpenes to the capsules help.

The concentrates I use in edibles have less of those varietal differences, but of course still pack a punch. I imagine because we usually lose terpenes as we concentrate. They have their own signatures though, so there is that.

And the concentrates that have the best natural terpenes work the best.

florduh

All that "heady and stoney" stuff is really variety specific within flowers.
I completely agree. Should've used the caveat "all things being equal". So the same (or similar) strain vaped at comparable temperatures. In my experience with all of those variables controlled, flower has a bit more "body load" than the same strain in concentrate form.

I have herb capsules that have each of those effects, just like vaping that variety does. I think adding terpenes to the capsules help.
Very interesting. One of the reasons I don't mess with edibles often is that I bought into the conventional wisdom that you lose out on strain specific effects. I'm gonna need to look into this. Is the Gel Cap thread where this type of stuff is discussed?

The concentrates I use in edibles have less of those varietal differences, but of course still pack a punch. I imagine because we usually lose terpenes as we concentrate. They have their own signatures though, so there is that.

Yeah, that makes sense. That's why I try to stick to live rosin as much as possible. It has the most "fidelity" to the flower strain that I've found.

florduh,
Reactions: shredder

shredder

Very interesting. One of the reasons I don't mess with edibles often is that I bought into the conventional wisdom that you lose out on strain specific effects. I'm gonna need to look into this. Is the Gel Cap thread where this type of stuff is

Yup, the gel cap thread.

Basically I decarb buds, then grind them to powder, mix with lecithin and coconut oil and a tiny amount of strain specific terpenes and put that in gel caps.

With a little high school math we can estimate doses to customize, and be consistent.

shredder,
  • Love
Reactions: florduh

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
i like the fast effect but it lacks the depth of an herbal high.
I felt the same way till I found better concentrate, the good stuff feels just like vaping only stronger. I very much felt dabbing was strong but was lacking a element flower had, very much reminded me when I first started vaping, switching from smoking vaping had some perks like much better flavour but the high wasn't the same. in both cases I soldiered on learning as I went. the answer to my vaping dilemma was I needed higher temps then my crafty provided, I moved onto other vapes and made the transition. dabbing I kept experimenting with here and there but it never really wow'ed me. slowly the legal market opened up and access became available, most of the early releases weren't much better, "indica" and "sativa" 510 carts were first to hit the market. later a few hash's some shatter and the occasional live resin. lots of hybrid strains and blends, my least favourite so was it any wonder I was disappointed ????? eventually I was able to get some strain specific live resin, strains I was familiar with in flower. dabbing became more of a regular thing and I liked it more than when I started, found my dose size, preferred temp, things were improving but it never really took the place of flower, for a few reasons and cost was actually low down on the list??? tolerance jumps to quickly and flower becomes ineffective and I don't want that and trading my flower for some thing that was missing that certain je ne sais quoi???? doesn't sound like a good deal!!!! so I kept dabbing to a few single dabs a week and maybe a dab day once a month. kept that going for the last two years occasionally trying something new at the Ontario cannabis store but didn't find anything I liked better than the melon live resin I could get from my licensed grower which was cheaper. then some time in the last year the OCS got some really good selection while I haven been paying attention :lol: tried my first true full melt bubble hash and it was a eye opener!!!! felt like a complete high:smug: no I wish it was more this or that..... just zen 🌎 burned through that first gram a little quick but it was just so dam good lol just grabbed a second gram and some live sugar and live rosin, all are solventless, strain specific and incredible:love: I'm still going to keep dabbing as a treat but man do I enjoy it so much more now:rofl:

darbarikanada

I'm kind of obsessive about strains, keep track of the effects every time I vape. a while back I was surprised to notice that the traits I liked in a favorite flower were even better in the wax version I picked up. I figured it was probably a fluke, but subsequent 'research' has borne it out. it's not a matter of concentrate being stronger either (I dose to get myself to roughly the same degree of high whatever I use). I have no idea how this could be, but I'm sure glad I made the discovery!

JOHN GALT

I felt the same way till I found better concentrate, the good stuff feels just like vaping only stronger. I very much felt dabbing was strong but was lacking a element flower had, very much reminded me when I first started vaping, switching from smoking vaping had some perks like much better flavour but the high wasn't the same. in both cases I soldiered on learning as I went. the answer to my vaping dilemma was I needed higher temps then my crafty provided, I moved onto other vapes and made the transition. dabbing I kept experimenting with here and there but it never really wow'ed me. slowly the legal market opened up and access became available, most of the early releases weren't much better, "indica" and "sativa" 510 carts were first to hit the market. later a few hash's some shatter and the occasional live resin. lots of hybrid strains and blends, my least favourite so was it any wonder I was disappointed ????? eventually I was able to get some strain specific live resin, strains I was familiar with in flower. dabbing became more of a regular thing and I liked it more than when I started, found my dose size, preferred temp, things were improving but it never really took the place of flower, for a few reasons and cost was actually low down on the list??? tolerance jumps to quickly and flower becomes ineffective and I don't want that and trading my flower for some thing that was missing that certain je ne sais quoi???? doesn't sound like a good deal!!!! so I kept dabbing to a few single dabs a week and maybe a dab day once a month. kept that going for the last two years occasionally trying something new at the Ontario cannabis store but didn't find anything I liked better than the melon live resin I could get from my licensed grower which was cheaper. then some time in the last year the OCS got some really good selection while I haven been paying attention :lol: tried my first true full melt bubble hash and it was a eye opener!!!! felt like a complete high:smug: no I wish it was more this or that..... just zen 🌎 burned through that first gram a little quick but it was just so dam good lol just grabbed a second gram and some live sugar and live rosin, all are solventless, strain specific and incredible:love: I'm still going to keep dabbing as a treat but man do I enjoy it so much more now:rofl:

My grandkids keep telling me "throw away that old Volcano" and "dabbing" and "Full Melt Hash Rosin"

Is that the same as "Bubble Hash" ??

JOHN GALT,
  • Haha
Reactions: shredder

MegaMan2k

My grandkids keep telling me "throw away that old Volcano" and "dabbing" and "Full Melt Hash Rosin"

Is that the same as "Bubble Hash" ??

Fullmelt means that the product melts completely to a water-like consistency.

Fullmelt Hash Rosin, This is achieved by turning bubble hash into rosin by pressing it thru a fine-mesh filter and therby getting rid of any contaminates in the form of plant hairs, trichome stalks, crushed plant material, wax membranes etc.

Bubblehash, on the other hand is not always considered fullmelt, meaning it won't melt and produce vapor the way rosin would
However bubblehash can also be classified as "Fullmelt bubble" if you seperate the 1st wash 73-90u from the other bags you will most often find it there.

FMCD/FMAD (Fullmelt clear dome, Fullmelt amber dome)

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I'll add another factor which I believe affects me.

I believe that you build a tolerance for different types of cannabis and the methods used. I would wonder, why am I getting blasted by a single bowl of flower when several hits off a good dab of resin is not getting me as high. I think my body builds a tolerance for dabbing concentrates if I use them every day, therefore it takes a bit more each time. But if I haven't vaped flower in a long time, that first bowl will hit me because my tolerance is low for that type of vaping. Makes some sense if you consider some concentrates don't have all the cannabinoids that flower has.

I've heard this discussed with edibles and the like. Where it doesn't matter if you are a regular vaper, if you try an edible for the first time or after a long time, then your tolerance is low for ingesting it and I'll get rocked even if I've been dabbing all the time. If I keep eating edibles each day then I'll start to build a tolerance for it, regardless of my dabbing tolerance.

So I think in comparing the effects of flower vs concentrates, you also need to factor how often you have been using each type. That's just my hypothesis.

darbarikanada

fogbank

I vape both oils and flower, and I prefer flower for what seems to me to be a more broad spectrum high.

Back in the combustion days of the 70s I had access to flower and various types of hash - Lebanese blonde, Nepalese black, and even some inferior green grades of Moroccan.

I had a dealer friend in high school who only sold Thai sticks and blonde hash.

If given the choice I would always choose a $40 ounce of commercial Columbian flower over the equivalent in hash, even the good Nepalese black stuff. I would buy the Thai sticks over the blond hash that my friend sold.

While I know that there is a difference between combusting and vaping, I feel that the same preference still applies. I feel like I'm getting a broader mix of chemicals (cannabinoids and terpenes) from flower than I do from oils. I feel like that produces a much broader spectrum high. The oil high seems lighter and less complex. I realize that "complex" is hard to define when referring to a cannabis high.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I've been a cannabis user for a long time--around 50 of the last 55 years! I've been a near daily or nightly user for many of those years and currently. Smoked it in pipes, joints, and bongs for around 43 years and in vapes--convection, conduction, and hybrid--for 6 or 7 years. I like strong heady stuff. For the last two years 75% or so of my use has been concentrates. I've made a concerted effort to try every kind of product in every type of device--dab rig with torch or ih, crucibles, coils, etc. I've used nice amounts of shatter, sugar, live resin, rosin, budder, crumble, diamonds, and virtually every other type available. If the stuff is good and strong and tastes good, it will do the job of getting me wrecked. Doesn't matter whether its weed or concentrates. Now edibles, that's another story.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
interesting article - apparently people don't actually get higher from higher potency cannabis, possibly because of the finite number of cannabinoid receptors. this actually confirms my experience.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/do-...-get-users-more-high-not-exactly-study-finds/

They’ve known that for decades that’s why Marinol never took off.

The fact that these “scientists” all seem to think the THC% automatically equates to perceived potency really shows how little they know about the plant. I wonder have they ever even used cannabis?

There are over 400 chemicals in the cannabis plant including many cannabinoids that are capable of modulating on LSD style microgram dosage amounts.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
60-70% THC concentrates always medicate me more than 90+% stuff. Even mixing some hemp into my dispo flower gets me higher.

Yeah it’s such a misnomer that the big numbers are stronger. The lower THC percentage just means there’s room for other happytime molecules!

I was thinking about this thread the other day and how part of comparing the high is getting a reasonably equivalent dosage. I think the concentration of extracts is so over emphasized that people likely aren’t getting an equivalent dose to their flower consumption under the guise that this one is “85% THC” even though THC never physically morphs into something stronger.

100mg of 25% flower is 25mg of THC
To get an equivalent dose from 75% hash rosin you’d need a 33mg dab. That’s 30 dabs per gram. But I’m way more likely to vape a quarter gram of flower in a session than I would vape a 50-75mg dab. I think... 😅 I’m not sure how many pulls I get off a 1 gram cartridge but it’s well over 100!

Relaxed

This Space For Rent
@BabyFacedFinster I totally agree and find when I’m on everything (flower, dabs, edibles) it’s increasingly hard to catch a buzz! Hedonism be damned!!

I find that I’m most susceptible to something new - otherwise it all kind of runs together.

And I thought it was all in my mind. I'm by no means a heavy user, but when I use the same strain for multiple days in a row I lose effect. I rotate consistently now and go at least a week without a repeat.

Planck

believes in Dog
The fact that these “scientists” all seem to think the THC% automatically equates to perceived potency really shows how little they know about the plant. I wonder have they ever even used cannabis?
I thought you know how science works. What scientist thinks does not matter, it must be proven experimentally, peer reviewed and duplicatable.
There are over 400 chemicals in the cannabis plant including many cannabinoids that are capable of modulating on LSD style microgram dosage amounts.
I bet it was those “scientists” who determined that number.

Clearly there is a lot more going on then just %THC as it relates to effect. Scientifically proving that blood plasma levels do not correlate to degree of impairment would be great news for all users imo.

florduh

Scientifically proving that blood plasma levels do not correlate to degree of impairment would be great news for all users imo.
TCO'd!

100mg of 25% flower is 25mg of THC
To get an equivalent dose from 75% hash rosin you’d need a 33mg dab. That’s 30 dabs per gram. But I’m way more likely to vape a quarter gram of flower in a session than I would vape a 50-75mg dab. I think... 😅 I’m not sure how many pulls I get off a 1 gram cartridge but it’s well over 100!
I've definitely noticed a gram of hash rosin lasting significantly longer than an eighth of flower, despite the eighth having more total THC.

And I thought it was all in my mind. I'm by no means a heavy user, but when I use the same strain for multiple days in a row I lose effect. I rotate consistently now and go at least a week without a repeat.

I used to be a 5-6 day per week kratom user. Kratom generally builds up tolerance pretty quickly, causing users to up their dose. But I rotated strains so I never used the same one twice in a week. Never built tolerance or upped my dose. Had no withdrawals when I stopped daily dosing either.

I don't have 7 strains of weed, but I tend to never vape the same strain two days in a row. My tolerance never really goes up despite never taking an intentional tolerance break. It's possible my high CBD use contributes to this as well. But I wonder if varying strains more would be even better for tolerance management.

Top Bottom